• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Hey NFs give me your opinion on ENTPs?

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a entp and I was wondering what you guys think about ENTPs....

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I admit, I used to have a bad impression of the type but this was not specifically based on people IRL and I've since realised this mistake.

I find the strong NP commonalities put me at ease and I generally think them great fun to be around. I just love having these meandering conversations about anything and everything with them. I adore their intellectual curiosity, humour, quick wit, openness, warmth, enthusiasm, broad interests, sense of adventure and easy-going nature. I also enjoy laughing at our common failings: we're both so ditzy, forgetful, and disorganised. ;)

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Not to be taken seriously unless inventing spaghetti machines madly. :cheese:

lane777

nevermore
One of the most fascinating types to be around, imo.

There's an exceptional warmth there that I don't see in other thinkers.

I think INFJ's have trouble getting their thoughts out there due to our Fe censoring everything to infinity, but since ENTP's don't take offense easily, they give me relief in that regard.

I like their style of communication. They're somehow able to connect loosely related topics. I like falling down that rabbit hole with them. Relating one topic to another for them is apparent, in comparison, other types are merely capable.

They're eccentric. INFJ's are insane. Only INFJ's are damn good at hiding it if we want to. ENTP's... aren't. And that's kind of enduring.

I admire how mentally quick/sharp they are.

I like their clever, zany sense of humor.

I like how knowledgeable they are.

I don't appreciate their lack of discipline. Which would keep me out of a relationship with one because I wouldn't stand to be mothering them all the time for their irresponsibility and immaturity which are products of that. I think this quality really keeps them from excelling in life. And that's sad, because ENTP's are incredibly capable people. And the cherry on top is thanks to their big fat ego's, they don't often admit to their faults, which keeps them from growth. Which brings us back to immaturity, which is unattractive. And reminds me of mothering. Blegh.

That's all for now.

G

Glycerine

I like them a lot as long as they aren't overly cocky but I think i drive most of the ones I have met crazy with my laser beam obsession with my goals ( I can be neurotic about those).

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
They do have a tendency toward cockiness but its generally not a problem if it is kept in check. Luckily, I'm very skilled at keeping them humble with endless teasing :D

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah I noticed my NF friends always love to tease me. They seem to hate my ego through ;)

LotsOfHeart

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Upon reading the description of ENTP's on the web, they didn't sound like a type I wanted to hang around much. Arguing for no reason? Lawyer type? No thanks.

But actually meeting ENTPs in real life I like them a lot. In my opinion, some of the descriptions on the web don't totally do them justice. They're pretty easy to get along with, and they have a good combination of logical thinking and inviting Fe (kind of like their ESTP cousins). I love that combination of Ti and Fe. It's awesome to me.

As far as ENTPs who do stupid stuff like the things mentioned above, that's only immature ENTPs. That's like saying, "INFJs have problems because they shut everyone out of their lives." Maybe some INFJs do that, but mainly unhealthy ones (although some people deserve to be shut out).

lane777

nevermore
That's like saying, "INFJs have problems because they shut everyone out of their lives." Maybe some INFJs do that, but mainly unhealthy ones (although some people deserve to be shut out).

And that's like saying if we're mature, we're perfect beings (not trying to come off sarcastic here). We all have faults, and I've noticed an ENTP's weaknesses to be what I outlined above. And of course the more immature, the more pronounced they will be. The more mature, the less pronounced... but I think these weaknesses are present in all strong ENTP's.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Step away from the Ti-scalpel and nobody will get hurt.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IINn0UatJPE"].[/YOUTUBE]

LotsOfHeart

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
And that's like saying if we're mature, we're perfect beings (not trying to come off sarcastic here). We all have faults, and I've noticed an ENTP's weaknesses to be what I outlined above. And of course the more immature, the more pronounced they will be. The more mature, the less pronounced... but I think these weaknesses are present in all strong ENTP's.

I understand what you're saying, but I just am not sure if you could say the same weaknesses are present in all ENTPs, or all one type in general, since everyone is different. There may be overall consistencies to these faults, but at the end of the day everyone is an individual person and is not necessarily doomed to the weaknesses of their type.

Take my ENFJ friend for example. ENFJs have a reputation for being fussy about their home environments. But his house is a complete mess. And he doesn't care. Or my ENTJ friend who doesn't enjoy giving orders. Or my ENFP friend who is always on time for appointments.

One thing for sure though: most strong versions of a type are not aware of the fact they are that type, so they are more likely to fall into their inherent weaknesses. Self-study wins again.

A

A window to the soul

There's an exceptional warmth there that I don't see in other thinkers.

:banana:

I don't appreciate their lack of discipline. Which would keep me out of a relationship with one because I wouldn't stand to be mothering them all the time for their irresponsibility and immaturity which are products of that. I think this quality really keeps them from excelling in life. And that's sad, because ENTP's are incredibly capable people. And the cherry on top is thanks to their big fat ego's, they don't often admit to their faults, which keeps them from growth. Which brings us back to immaturity, which is unattractive. And reminds me of mothering. Blegh.

That's all for now.

:sadbanana: mommy

lane777

nevermore
I understand what you're saying, but I just am not sure if you could say the same weaknesses are present in all ENTPs, or all one type in general, since everyone is different. There may be overall consistencies to these faults, but at the end of the day everyone is an individual person and is not necessarily doomed to the weaknesses of their type.

Take my ENFJ friend for example. ENFJs have a reputation for being fussy about their home environments. But his house is a complete mess. And he doesn't care. Or my ENTJ friend who doesn't enjoy giving orders. Or my ENFP friend who is always on time for appointments.

One thing for sure though: most strong versions of a type are not aware of the fact they are that type, so they are more likely to fall into their inherent weaknesses. Self-study wins again.

Well, like I say... I see these weaknesses to be present in all strong ENTP's. And I didn't mean to insinuate ENTP's are doomed to their weaknesses, simply that they have them... and whether or not these weaknesses are pronounced is up to the individual. We all have the choice to self improve. That's just my take on it.

Your ENFJ, ENTJ and ENFP friends may simply be mature or weak on their letter preferences.

Deadpan, my dear :) I didn't intend for that to be taken so severely. Feel better *hug*

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Pros: creative, witty, fun, likes to be the center of attention, loyal, super smart, charming, confident, gregarious, can be counted on for good straight forward advice, talented, the life of the party!

Cons: likes to debate, snatchy, impatient, can be mean, short tempered, reckless, over indulgent, egotistical, diabolical, too blunt at times.

Last edited:

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have probably the hardest time with ENTP's of all the mbti types. Not sure why that is. I never have any outright conflicts with them, but something in the behavior (irl- not entp descrip, or entp online for that matter) rubs me the wrong way. This is not to say that I don't think ENTP's have admireable qualities, they certainly do. But I get tired of the clown act, and I get tired of what seems to be an overwhelming need to be admired. Sometimes I just want peer eyeball to eyeball and say.. "who the fuck is really in there?" Highly intelligent, witty, charismatic, great to bounce ideas off of, but lacking in any real sense of self or values. Anyhow, I emphasize this is my experience with only a few ENTP's.. and some of these traits are probably more individual than type.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I'm a entp and I was wondering what you guys think about ENTPs....

Which NF are you trying to impress? :p

INFX probably tolerate you the best and even find you charming. Introverts are patient like that.

ENFJs can handle you just fine irl and will manhandle you if you get on their bad side. Your attempt at wit and charm merely provokes more ire!

ENFPs? My take on the ENTPs I know irl are I can see a kindred spirit in them and can go on adventures with, there's a shared rapport and zest for life. I'm like, "Ooh, play with me! :D"

OR I think they are the biggest asshole and wish someone would slap that smug undeserved grin off your face. I mean...his or her face. True story. It also depends on if I have to work with you or if it's just socially. Cause if I have to work with you conflict is more unavoidable and an ENTP who thinks they are god's gift to X and are right about something (when they are clearly not) are some of the most condescending and frustrating people to work with.

Some of you young ENTP males annoy the shit out of me because you think you are way more clever than you actually are and were never taught respect. If you were half as clever as you thought you were, I wouldn't have as much of a problem. I'm a hater, but I will give credit where credit is due. Unfortunately, this 'annoying as shit' stage usually lasts the better part of the teens and 20s. How you find dates I have no idea. Oh wait - female ENTPs and the [easily impressed] INFX with whom you have that magical bond.

ENTPs online are a mixed bag. The younger ones can say things that make my eyes go :shock: because they are so insensitive and sometimes ridiculously clueless like "I can't wait to cheat on my first girlfriend just to experience what that feels like" or "I didn't call or answer my boyfriend's calls for a month and he flipped out, what a homo" -- and that's not even when they are TRYING to troll. You're just like "DAMN, where did your ethics/empathy button go and when does that famed 'friend winning' Fe kick in? Do you have a black hole where your heart should be?" They can often be found attempting to troll. Age and maturity make a HUGE HUGE difference in ENTPs online and my perception of them. Some of the ones online seem to love parading around going "Look at how rude and obnoxious I am! Look at me! Look at me! I'm so smart!" and no lie I just want to take out the virtual mace of virtue and knock the [rainbows and puppy dogs] out of them.

So ENTPs pretty much fall into the camps of 'real life people I know' and 'online group persona' which are very distinct to me. I tend to get along better with ENTPs socially IRL than online. I form my own opinions of ENTPs irl on an individual case by case basis because they really do come in different flavors :p And not all or most or many ENTPs online rub me the wrong way, but the ones that do, DAMN.

Maybe I shouldn't answer questions like these when I'm cranky...