12 Last

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Default Thin grasp on reality, Mwah?

This isn't a "woe is me" thread.
    I recently got accused of having a thin grasp of reality by my boss. It upset me, of course. My boss doesn't exactly mince words.
    I am finding myself becoming increasingly detached from people 'round here though. I have nothing in common with folks round here what so ever, and it's becoming more and more apparent.
    This accusation came about when I was explaining the concept of the i-ching to a work mate (she did ask) and the theory behind the predictions of 2012 associated with it. I don't know if my boss freaks out about stuff like that, or what, but the accusation came very shortly after that. I know one other work mate gets VERY upset if I talk about anything less than concrete (and that seems to translate to anything she doesn't understand.)
    I'm curious, have any of y'all experienced this? I am a fairly fanciful person, granted, but I had considered myself able to be realistic. I'm actually nihilistic really.
    Any way, comments, and suggestion are appreciated. I'm just wondering if this is just a big red flag telling me to move on.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I think maybe I'm talking more about disconnection. I'm not exactly lonely, yet people seem to experience reality differently from me here. It's kind of an intellectual isolation.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    Infp
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think your boss is dumb. Doesn't get you and assumes you're a huge day dreamer and a waste of time because they can't grasp onto that you're merely different- Not screwed up. If your boss can't appreciate you, try to find a better place where people will.

Which I admit is fucking hard to find. It's difficult knowing you have to work at a place in order to keep your living space etc and to eat, to survive, even if it means killing your mental spirits. I hate it.

MBTI
    Infp
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've been in your shoes numerous times, btw. You can express this to you boss, how everyone has a different personality and they will agree but they won't really believe it. It goes back to treating you like a slave and like you need to "get with the program" lols.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

people are gonna have different interest. Im sure that if you and they wanted, something of mutual interest can be found to talk about.

MBTI
    Infp
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by knight View Post
    people are gonna have different interest. Im sure their interest vary among themselves, Im also sure that if those people wanted, they can find something of mutual interest to talk about.
    I wouldn't think so in this case. If his boss has made up his mind, that his worker has a thin grasp on reality- Most bosses don't care about talking with their workers even if they have something to talk about. At the end of the day, his narrow minded boss will still think that about him.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

opinions sometimes change day to day. even a boss. if you are doing a banged up job and are on top of things, Im sure he is going to be happy. if you show the capacity to grow,be competent and prove you are reliable then he is not going to care about the conversation they had, maybe also look at how she gets along with the people at work, is she amiable. I dont think its going to effect her job, unless she lets it and starts spazzing out. again, just keep be mindful that people don`t share the same interest and Im sure you don`t have to set aside your authentic self to find something mutually interesting for both you and the other person to talk about

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    This isn't a "woe is me" thread.
    I recently got accused of having a thin grasp of reality by my boss. It upset me, of course. My boss doesn't exactly mince words.
    I am finding myself becoming increasingly detached from people 'round here though. I have nothing in common with folks round here what so ever, and it's becoming more and more apparent.
    This accusation came about when I was explaining the concept of the i-ching to a work mate (she did ask) and the theory behind the predictions of 2012 associated with it. I don't know if my boss freaks out about stuff like that, or what, but the accusation came very shortly after that. I know one other work mate gets VERY upset if I talk about anything less than concrete (and that seems to translate to anything she doesn't understand.)
    I'm curious, have any of y'all experienced this? I am a fairly fanciful person, granted, but I had considered myself able to be realistic. I'm actually nihilistic really.
    Any way, comments, and suggestion are appreciated. I'm just wondering if this is just a big red flag telling me to move on.

It seems like I saw a program on TV about this one time, but I forgot what it was exactly. Convergent sources seemed to suggest something is going to happen Dec. 21, 2012.

But, yes, I feel isolated by all sorts of different things. My whole family disdains MBTI theory, for example. They don't care. They don't want to hear it.

This is similarly true at work about many things.

I feel really weird and isolated, like I've reached some unexplored new existential plain. I feel really strange. Work is weird too; it seems production is much less lucky this year as well. Maybe it's global warming. Maybe gremlins. Actually I think I know but have difficulty to express. I feel...foreboding.

Again...this is not a "poor, poor BAJ" thread either. Actually I feel pretty serene.

MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I feel I worded this all wrong. My boss is actually very supportive most of the time, and I am very good at my job. Truth is I have a better grasp of the day to day realities of my job, than most of the staff under me. I think what frustrates my boss is that fact that I churn out a whole of ridiculous ideas interspersed with very good ideas, hence his nickname for me " the space cadet". Not to mention, I think my collegues understand me less and less with each passing day, and we are close knit team. Some thing I have noticed though, is these guys don't like things pointed out to them. They can go about thier daily bussiness, ignoring the elephant in the room, and call me out when I stumble blindly right into him. People generally come to learn, I'm pretty good at predicting how people interact, and what the possible consquences will be. I'm a born trouble shooter, but here, I'm consigned to the crazy eccentric corner. It's exhausting, watching people stumbling round blindly, because one, I'm not from round here, so my advice counts for nothing; two, I can't see it therefore what you are telling me doesn't exsist.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not in the habit of discussing things like i-ching (my collegue asked me, because she knows I'm fairly well informed about these things), but for goodness sake, they don't have pilates/yoga classes round here because of it's fruity overtones. It's been a long time since I lived in a small town....am I just dealing with small town attitudes, or am I just dealing with slow and creeping personality incompatibility.
    I don't particularly like the accusation of space cadet, especially when if I get any more aquainted with the realities of life, I might as well just kill myself with the hopelessness of it all.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

small town. Im really really sorry about that.

as for the nick name, next time he calls you it, smile at him, look him in the eyes and tell him the nickname or name you preferred to be called, then ask him what he needs you to do. something like that. change the subject to something else, so it wont look like you want to kick his arse.

so you transferred because of work to the small town?