User Tag List

First 12

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Actually last time he called me space cadet to my face, I basically called him an ill bred illerate, and I think he realised he hurt my feelings.
    I'm going on annual leave next week, and I will be considering a transfer while I'm away. I grew up in a small town, I foregot what it was like, and the reason why I left in the first place.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think this is much of my problem as well.

I like quiet, but living on a farm in rural area is difficult. I wrote someone about it, and they suggested the problem was not me...it was where I lived.

MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I visit friends a lot. An acquaintance, last time I visited my BFF, told me to get out while I still had a soul left, LOL. It was definitely easier socially in the city, the thing is I have a lot financial benefits here, where as in the city, it's expensive to live. I realize a fair amount of this really has very little to do with me, and is a reflection of the culture in town. I arrived here, after the failure of my first business, and I wasn't particularly open when I first got here. That and a very unfortunate run in with one of the local girls saw to it I was basically ostracized (I don't want to get into that, but I was back in high school for a while.)
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Strangely I don't have this problem. Oh_kay I do. I started talking to a friend at work tactfully about quantum shifts and synchronicity and alternative stuff and friend started blinking then I went to my normal hows work conversation, testing limits and seeing what kind of territory my geeky friend was willing to explore. Pfft apparently I out nerded, geeked and dorked him.

But hay I have that problem everywhere. This happens with my friends and family too. This also happens with friends that are up to speed in their alternative ways sometimes. Why yes I received a wow from my long time meditation instructor, and a talk human from my Reiki friend. And blabbity blabbity blah.

MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

When did it stop being cool to be a geek?
    I declare we should have a geektopia land, where all geeks and nerds are granted automatic citizenship after passing a exam and practical on thier choosen expertise. Small talk shall be banned and nice golden tans will be looked upon with suspcion (unless that's your natural coloring). We will have public holidays celebrating land mark novels and shows, I'm voting for LOTR and Buffy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    It's been a long time since I lived in a small town....am I just dealing with small town attitudes, or am I just dealing with slow and creeping personality incompatibility.
    i don't do small towns.

when i was first really getting into MBTI stuff, i read somewhere that N was about possibility and S about reality. essentially that N was about the unreal and S was about the real. and i had the thought: goddammit, as an N dominant, i'm as far removed from reality as i can be. i'm isolated. space cadet! but no, this is not really true. i just see the same things through a different lens than others. i'm like the person who focuses on the negative space in a picture. what's not there is just as tangible as what's there, it's just that many people don't focus on it. but the negative space is important because it's where you can put new things. fringe ideas are important because they're where new knowledge lies.

I think what frustrates my boss is that fact that I churn out a whole of ridiculous ideas interspersed with very good ideas
    yeah. same here. it can help to just keep a running list of funny ideas to yourself and work to refine the good ones more before presenting them. or just reminding yourself on a steady basis how much smarter you are jk. but for me, what keeps me running at work when others don't like my "crazy" ideas is me secretly implementing them and then kicking back and enjoying watching as they succeed. that said, i'm trying to get out of my current job. too stifling. they don't like any deviation whatsoever from the way The Big Book of Corporate Rules says things should be (for instance, signs must point perfectly forward, under no circumstances may they be angled) and it's driving me nuts. too much focus on keeping things the same same same and not enough room to innovate and make things personal and appealing. too much money and not enough heart.

i hate to say it sounds like it's time for you to move on, but i think you know that already. onward and upward. the only thin grasp you have is on what reality is to your boss, not what it is to the rest of the world. if you're a space cadet, might as well move on up to space exploration and other, bigger things. somewhere there is a big community of fellow geeks waiting to welcome you with open arms...

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

This is an interesting read to me. I was told by an old boss at a financial firm that "I use my powers for the dark side".. WTF is that? He basically told me that I was smart and skilled enough to move much higher in the company, if I would just channel my energy into it instead of social chaos. =D (What he meant is that if I put on a business face and played the corporate ladder climbing game, I could go far.) And I was only about 22 at the time. Okay, so to be honest.. I had worked at the company for a few years but grew really bored with it. I had made quite a few friends there, and kinda stirred things up from time to time for amusement. Never any thing hurtful, its not like I pitted people against eachother or started rumors.. But I was really good at getting the under dogs to realize how they were being exploited, and rise up against management. I always did it in ways that couldn't be connected back to me directly. Fuck, I was still a kid at that point, and it made the day go by quicker.

I guess I'm not sure what exactly you are concerned with though. Is it that he called you a name? Or that your co-workers are dim and uninteresting? TBH, I have just come to accept this dynamic in careers... maybe that is pretty sad, I dunno. You can't expect people to be as deep as you are. It just isn't going to happen alot. I have maybe 5-6 friends over the course of my life that I keep in touch with for such matters. So what if your co-workers are lame. Small sample rate, don't ya think? Ofcourse, if your in a really small town and can't seem to find anyone to connect with, I think you probably should look at getting yourself into a bigger area. Being an Island is a sure fire way to become depressed.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Ah, basically my boss put words to some thing I've been feeling for a long time, or rather he brought the problem to the fore front. I guess I'm just venting my frustration at this place too. I'm also trying to work out if I'm doing my usual thing of getting bored and frustrated, or am I dealing with a fundemental problem of mine. Or if it's even me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]