User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: INTPs

  1. #1

    Default INTPs

    Hello there lovely INFPs!


    I'm here to ask one simple question. What do you think/feel about us INTPs?

    Both praise AND criticism are highly encouraged. I know you INFPs care about not hurting other peoples feelings more then the average person. Don't do that here! Crush us like bugs if you think/feel we deserve it.

  2. #2
    Senior Member BAJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    631

    Default

    I like INTPs. That said, many people who seem to HATE me are INTPs. Or put it this way: I primarily posted at INTPc for a few years, and maybe it is my fault, but I did not make much friends there...at least not like at TYPOc.

    I've had a few INTPs irl. My bro in law is INTP, and he's like the main family member that I feel a lot of affinity for in terms of things he's interested in.

    Sometimes as co-workers/ employees they are sloppy or undisciplined, but more fun to discuss with or talk to, if that makes sense.

  3. #3
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BAJ View Post
    I like INTPs. That said, many people who seem to HATE me are INTPs. Or put it this way: I primarily posted at INTPc for a few years, and maybe it is my fault, but I did not make much friends there...at least not like at TYPOc.

    I've had a few INTPs irl. My bro in law is INTP, and he's like the main family member that I feel a lot of affinity for in terms of things he's interested in.

    Sometimes as co-workers/ employees they are sloppy or undisciplined, but more fun to discuss with or talk to, if that makes sense.
    I noticed that I get along better with real life INTP's than online. I think that they are ones who I don't understand as well without the body language, facial expressions, and voice to go with it. Sometimes I notice that there are a lot online that seem harsh, disagreeable, sometimes downright ornery in writing. In real life, I imagine the INTP may say the exact same words and come off completely different than they would if they were to say them in person. INTP's in the flesh can disagree with things but make it sound like an interesting open ended discussion rather than an argument. Sometimes I just have to translate that in my head while I'm reading posts online. (Not all obviously.)

    (Sorry, not an INFP, didn't read the OP before posting, just wanted to comment on the one post.)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  4. #4
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    I have an INTP dad, and several INTP friends. I 'em for the most part.

    Like:
    • funny
    • Smart
    • Surprisingly sweet
    • Intelligent conversations
    • Good one-on-one connections
    • Flexible but not doormats
    • Rare smiles are fun to earn
    • Silly side
    • Want their own alone time and respect others' needs for one as well


    Dislike:
    • I'm always a little wary of saying the magical wrong thing that makes them unleash their Ti full force on me in punishment.
    • When they over explain and aren't picking up on my cues to stop.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj
    Posts
    15

    Default

    I love the combination of logic and intuition that makes INTPs such great programmers and mathematicians. They can also be highly creative, especially as writers, and are extremely inspiring and interesting to talk to.

    The blunt lack of tact is the biggest problem I have with INTPs. I need to hear words of affirmation, and was recently refused that by an INTP because it wasn't a logical request.

  6. #6
    Senior Member INTPness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    2,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I noticed that I get along better with real life INTP's than online. I think that they are ones who I don't understand as well without the body language, facial expressions, and voice to go with it. Sometimes I notice that there are a lot online that seem harsh, disagreeable, sometimes downright ornery in writing. In real life, I imagine the INTP may say the exact same words and come off completely different than they would if they were to say them in person. INTP's in the flesh can disagree with things but make it sound like an interesting open ended discussion rather than an argument. Sometimes I just have to translate that in my head while I'm reading posts online. (Not all obviously.)

    (Sorry, not an INFP, didn't read the OP before posting, just wanted to comment on the one post.)
    I would say that in writing, I am more likely to emit pure Ti - more of an immovable stance on things. In person, since I extrovert with Ne and Fe, I'm going to come off as much more agreeable and flexible.

    People like us when we're more flexible, but also I find that I sometimes sacrifice my original stance on something and end up regretting it. For instance, I may go into a situation with a very firm personal opinion or stance (Ti) and thinking to myself, "This is what I believe and this is what is important to me and I don't want to sacrifice that." Then, when I get into the extroverted environment and am actually dealing with people, I sometimes feel like I'm ruled by Ne/Fe and so I'll end up giving in or saying "Oh, OK...that's fine" for the sake of keeping the peace/being nice. Then, when I leave and I'm by myself again, I think, "Why in the world did I do that? So stupid! I just sacrificed what's important to me. Now I'm not going to like the results and am going to have to live with them."

    So, it's a catch-22 for the INTP. We can be use our Ti and get what we want, get results, and lose friends in the process. Or, we can use Fe/Ne and everyone likes us, but we've sacrificed a lot of things that are important to us and we can even end up looking like a bit of a doormat in the process. It's sometimes a challenge to find that "middle ground" where we are standing firm to our convictions, yet still being likeable.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.


    There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

  7. #7
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    I would say that in writing, I am more likely to emit pure Ti - more of an immovable stance on things. In person, since I extrovert with Ne and Fe, I'm going to come off as much more agreeable and flexible.

    People like us when we're more flexible, but also I find that I sometimes sacrifice my original stance on something and end up regretting it. For instance, I may go into a situation with a very firm personal opinion or stance (Ti) and thinking to myself, "This is what I believe and this is what is important to me and I don't want to sacrifice that." Then, when I get into the extroverted environment and am actually dealing with people, I sometimes feel like I'm ruled by Ne/Fe and so I'll end up giving in or saying "Oh, OK...that's fine" for the sake of keeping the peace/being nice. Then, when I leave and I'm by myself again, I think, "Why in the world did I do that? So stupid! I just sacrificed what's important to me. Now I'm not going to like the results and am going to have to live with them."

    So, it's a catch-22 for the INTP. We can be use our Ti and get what we want, get results, and lose friends in the process. Or, we can use Fe/Ne and everyone likes us, but we've sacrificed a lot of things that are important to us and we can even end up looking like a bit of a doormat in the process. It's sometimes a challenge to find that "middle ground" where we are standing firm to our convictions, yet still being likeable.
    I agree. Well, that's why I like INTP's in general. They can have a very unique opinion on something but in conversation, they seem like they are listening to my perspective (and others) as well, and taking it into consideration. It seems indecisive, but it's probably the best way to make conclusions. I like their calm and accommodating real life presence. (Which I suspect that some on here have but can't show in plain words, though some do... it just takes a lot more work to articulate your meaning without having the "in person" benefits. ) A person coming off as plain Ti sounds just plain disagreeable to me. (You have rarely or never come off this way, though, FWIW.)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  8. #8
    Senior Member INTPness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    2,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I have an INTP dad, and several INTP friends. I 'em for the most part.

    Like:
    • funny
    • Smart
    • Surprisingly sweet
    • Intelligent conversations
    • Good one-on-one connections
    • Flexible but not doormats


    Thanks!

    [*]Rare smiles are fun to earn
    G'luck with that one!


    Dislike:
    I'm always a little wary of saying the magical wrong thing that makes them unleash their Ti full force on me in punishment.
    Hmmm. Main thing I'd say here is that if we say something in a lighthearted conversation (Ne/Fe), then don't worry too much about what we've said - we're just being light. But, if we communicate something to you via Ti in a "serious conversation" or a "serious moment" or a somewhat serious statement, take those things seriously. Like if I calmly say, "I'm really getting ticked off at work". That means: I'm REALLY getting ticked off at work. Or if we calmly say, "I've hashed out this issue with you a million times and I don't want to hash it out anymore. We're now officially beating a dead horse." That means: I've officially reached my breaking point on this issue. Don't bring it up anymore and don't push me on the issue. (Unless. You. Want. To.) Bringing it up again, or challening me *again* - would only rip off my nice Ne/Fe layers and expose Ti in a much more raw form. If Ti has "taken a firm stance" on the issue, then it's most likely not going to budge if you push even harder. All that's going to happen is that instead of talking to a brick wall (Ti) with a big soft pad covering it (Ne/Fe), now the pad will be gone and you'll be staring the brick wall right in the face - with no buffer and no niceties to mask it.

    When they over explain and aren't picking up on my cues to stop.
    Haha. Sometimes you just have to say it. "OK, dude, I get it. You don't have to go on anymore. I really do get it. Thanks." Or, "OK, I get it. Can we talk about something else? (with a smily face). We're probably oblivious at the moment to our rambling, so unless someone says something to snap us out of it, well, get ready to keep listening. It's been my experience that all NP's have a tendency to ramble if they're given the floor about something they care about or are passionate about. I recently had to tell an ENFP after literally 20 minutes of a story that was going NOWHERE, "Hey, sorry to do this, but for the sake of time I'm going to have to cut you off. We'll have to continue this conversation another time, unless you were going to finish in the next minute or two."

    Sometimes you just gotta say it. It might have been harsh at the moment, but we're still friends and everything is good. And I get a bonus too: She knows not to ramble on forever with me in the future. Win-win.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.


    There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

  9. #9
    Senior Member INTPness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    2,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I agree. Well, that's why I like INTP's in general. They can have a very unique opinion on something but in conversation, they seem like they are listening to my perspective (and others) as well, and taking it into consideration. It seems indecisive, but it's probably the best way to make conclusions. I like their calm and accommodating real life presence. (Which I suspect that some on here have but can't show in plain words, though some do... it just takes a lot more work to articulate your meaning without having the "in person" benefits. ) A person coming off as plain Ti sounds just plain disagreeable to me. (You have rarely or never come off this way, though, FWIW.)
    Well, yes, Ti can be very immovable when it wants to stand up for something. There are times where it's good and times where it's bad. Recently, I had a situation where a friend needed my help in her business class - writing a business plan, market evaluation, etc. Very detailed, time consuming stuff. I said, "I have no problem helping you, but DO NOT throw it on my lap at the last minute and expect a miracle." Didn't hear anything for 3 weeks. Suddenly got an e-mail saying, "OMG...please help. This is due tomorrow and I need help. Yes, I waited till the last minute. Sorry. Please help. Documents attached." Ti: Delete e-mail. I don't have time for the nonsense. Sometimes people just have to learn the hard way.

    I also have a family member who is racist and who thinks that white people are inherently "better" (whatever that means) than people of all other races. It's pure ignorance, it's ridiculous, and I refuse to tolerate it. So, at family gatherings, when this person begins to rant, I shut it down and I shut it down hard. There have been tears before because of my Ti comments. I absolutely refuse to budge in this situation. I have friend, dear friends, of various races. People are people and we all have value. So, go ahead and spout your ignorance when I'm not in your presence, but don't invite me to a gathering and then make it a point to spout off. I will take an extremely firm stance and you won't like it.

    So, it just depends on what the topic is and how the other person is using it. I have another ENFP friend (not picking on them), but she prides herself on being "non-judgmental". She's an extreme liberal and accepts everyone. Fine. That's great. But, another friend of ours said that his grandpa carries a gun when he goes into the city. The ENFP immediately judged him. Rolled her eyes and went "Who would carry a gun? What a hick!" So, OK, you hate judgmental people, but you just judged. Go figure. Ti has a way of seeing this stuff all over the place - inconsistencies, hypocrisy, etc. And it's infuriating.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.


    There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

  10. #10
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    Haha. Sometimes you just have to say it. "OK, dude, I get it. You don't have to go on anymore. I really do get it. Thanks." Or, "OK, I get it. Can we talk about something else? (with a smily face). We're probably oblivious at the moment to our rambling, so unless someone says something to snap us out of it, well, get ready to keep listening. It's been my experience that all NP's have a tendency to ramble if they're given the floor about something they care about or are passionate about. I recently had to tell an ENFP after literally 20 minutes of a story that was going NOWHERE, "Hey, sorry to do this, but for the sake of time I'm going to have to cut you off. We'll have to continue this conversation another time, unless you were going to finish in the next minute or two."

    Sometimes you just gotta say it. It might have been harsh at the moment, but we're still friends and everything is good. And I get a bonus too: She knows not to ramble on forever with me in the future. Win-win.
    Actually this level of cluelessness I only experience with my dad... who never gets it when I try and prompt him to stop.

    Example from last night:

    Dad: So, I need your help on something.
    Me: I am all ears.
    Dad: I am not sure how or if I should invite your Aunt to my wedding in October.
    Me: Hmm, yeah I see what you mean. Let me think on this a couple days and I will get back to you.
    Dad: Well, because you see there are many different sides to this...
    Me: Yup, I see them all. I'll come up with a solution for you in a couple days.
    Dad: Well, because you may not realize that this could be awkward.
    Me: Dad, Got it. Lots of variables. Lots of emotions. I am on it like Oprah on a baked ham.
    Dad: Well, maybe you haven't thought about how it could be hard for her to attend?
    Me: Dad, I get it. It's ok. Just leave it to me.
    Dad: Well... I know you think you see everything but have you thought of....
    Me: *wanting to tear eyeballs out* Dad.... Either you trust me with this or you don't.
    Dad: Oh I trust you!

    Add in another painful 10 minutes and you may begin to see the picture.

    Hmmm. Main thing I'd say here is that if we say something in a lighthearted conversation (Ne/Fe), then don't worry too much about what we've said - we're just being light. But, if we communicate something to you via Ti in a "serious conversation" or a "serious moment" or a somewhat serious statement, take those things seriously. Like if I calmly say, "I'm really getting ticked off at work". That means: I'm REALLY getting ticked off at work. Or if we calmly say, "I've hashed out this issue with you a million times and I don't want to hash it out anymore. We're now officially beating a dead horse." That means: I've officially reached my breaking point on this issue. Don't bring it up anymore and don't push me on the issue. (Unless. You. Want. To.) Bringing it up again, or challening me *again* - would only rip off my nice Ne/Fe layers and expose Ti in a much more raw form. If Ti has "taken a firm stance" on the issue, then it's most likely not going to budge if you push even harder. All that's going to happen is that instead of talking to a brick wall (Ti) with a big soft pad covering it (Ne/Fe), now the pad will be gone and you'll be staring the brick wall right in the face - with no buffer and no niceties to mask it.
    Hmm, ok this is a better explanation. And makes sense.

Similar Threads

  1. [INTP] INTPs RE: the Telephone
    By Sandy in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 08-16-2008, 03:02 PM
  2. [INTP] Defeatism created by INTP type description
    By ygolo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-15-2008, 06:24 PM
  3. [INTP] Rant on INTPs
    By ygolo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 230
    Last Post: 04-11-2008, 11:12 AM
  4. [INTP] INTP Rage
    By Schizm in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-10-2007, 10:38 AM
  5. [INTP] Good things about INTPs
    By lastrailway in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 10-01-2007, 11:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO