User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: INTPs

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Actually this level of cluelessness I only experience with my dad... who never gets it when I try and prompt him to stop.

Example from last night:

Dad: So, I need your help on something.
    Me: I am all ears.
    Dad: I am not sure how or if I should invite your Aunt to my wedding in October.
    Me: Hmm, yeah I see what you mean. Let me think on this a couple days and I will get back to you.
    Dad: Well, because you see there are many different sides to this...
    Me: Yup, I see them all. I'll come up with a solution for you in a couple days.
    Dad: Well, because you may not realize that this could be awkward.
    Me: Dad, Got it. Lots of variables. Lots of emotions. I am on it like Oprah on a baked ham.
    Dad: Well, maybe you haven't thought about how it could be hard for her to attend?
    Me: Dad, I get it. It's ok. Just leave it to me.
    Dad: Well... I know you think you see everything but have you thought of....
    Me: *wanting to tear eyeballs out* Dad.... Either you trust me with this or you don't.
    Dad: Oh I trust you!

Add in another painful 10 minutes and you may begin to see the picture.
    He's agonizing over the decision. It's a difficult decision for him and it's very important to him to get it right. He doesn't want to do the wrong thing and live to regret it, so he's distressed.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    He's agonizing over the decision. It's a difficult decision for him and it's very important to him to get it right. He doesn't want to do the wrong thing and live to regret it, so he's distressed.
    Thanks for the insight. As always, makes so much more sense spoken plainly like that... I should go turn in my empathy button since it's clearly not working.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Well, yes, Ti can be very immovable when it wants to stand up for something. There are times where it's good and times where it's bad. Recently, I had a situation where a friend needed my help in her business class - writing a business plan, market evaluation, etc. Very detailed, time consuming stuff. I said, "I have no problem helping you, but DO NOT throw it on my lap at the last minute and expect a miracle." Didn't hear anything for 3 weeks. Suddenly got an e-mail saying, "OMG...please help. This is due tomorrow and I need help. Yes, I waited till the last minute. Sorry. Please help. Documents attached." Ti: Delete e-mail. I don't have time for the nonsense. Sometimes people just have to learn the hard way.

I also have a family member who is racist and who thinks that white people are inherently "better" (whatever that means) than people of all other races. It's pure ignorance, it's ridiculous, and I refuse to tolerate it. So, at family gatherings, when this person begins to rant, I shut it down and I shut it down hard. There have been tears before because of my Ti comments. I absolutely refuse to budge in this situation. I have friend, dear friends, of various races. People are people and we all have value. So, go ahead and spout your ignorance when I'm not in your presence, but don't invite me to a gathering and then make it a point to spout off. I will take an extremely firm stance and you won't like it.

So, it just depends on what the topic is and how the other person is using it. I have another ENFP friend (not picking on them), but she prides herself on being "non-judgmental". She's an extreme liberal and accepts everyone. Fine. That's great. But, another friend of ours said that his grandpa carries a gun when he goes into the city. The ENFP immediately judged him. Rolled her eyes and went "Who would carry a gun? What a hick!" So, OK, you hate judgmental people, but you just judged. Go figure. Ti has a way of seeing this stuff all over the place - inconsistencies, hypocrisy, etc. And it's infuriating.
    Huh. That's strange. I actually can relate a lot to this definition of Ti. However, the examples you gave could possibly cross over to Fi, standing up for what is right. I do also notice inconsistencies frequently, but often primarily from a humanistic stance. (And sometimes from other stances as well.) Reading this post actually helps me understand Ti a lot better and realize what it is, though before it was more of a "vibe" thing.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Huh. That's strange. I actually can relate a lot to this definition of Ti. However, the examples you gave could possibly cross over to Fi, standing up for what is right. I do also notice inconsistencies frequently, but often primarily from a humanistic stance. (And sometimes from other stances as well.) Reading this post actually helps me understand Ti a lot better and realize what it is, though before it was more of a "vibe" thing.
    Ti and Fi do have a lot of similarities. I think one difference (of many) is that Ti seems to be able to "cut people off" or "be harsh" without feeling as bad or guilty. Fi has a harder time "enforcing" the things it feels strongly about.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

I get along really well with INTP's. Been close to 4 of them.. brother, two guys I briefly dated, and a friend. But there is a pattern I notice with the two i dated and my brother.. they sometimes say really cutting things and it hurts my feelings. I've observed them do it with others as well. I'm pretty certain that the intention is not to hurt... but sometimes things drop out of their mouth and I think.. WTF! It could be that cold NT rationale.. but I'm going to admit that I dated an INTJ for over a year and have been close friends with a few INTJ's.. also ENTJ's.. and never had this "verbally cuts problem" the way I've had it with the INTP. It could be a fluke. It could be just these 3 INTP's. Maybe a little health and maturity have something to do with it, I dunno. But I do think that if an INTP is going to shack up with an INFP.. they SHOULD REALLY REALLY WATCH this carefully.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    I get along really well with INTP's. Been close to 4 of them.. brother, two guys I briefly dated, and a friend. But there is a pattern I notice with the two i dated and my brother.. they sometimes say really cutting things and it hurts my feelings. I've observed them do it with others as well. I'm pretty certain that the intention is not to hurt... but sometimes things drop out of their mouth and I think.. WTF! It could be that cold NT rationale.. but I'm going to admit that I dated an INTJ for over a year and have been close friends with a few INTJ's.. also ENTJ's.. and never had this "verbally cuts problem" the way I've had it with the INTP. It could be a fluke. It could be just these 3 INTP's. Maybe a little health and maturity have something to do with it, I dunno. But I do think that if an INTP is going to shack up with an INFP.. they SHOULD REALLY REALLY WATCH this carefully.
    I think with an ENTJ, for example, they exude Te - so you know what you're getting with them. With INTP's, we act like big softies and pushovers - we just go with the flow and don't make a fuss and so everyone thinks we're sweet and nice and fluffy (Ne/Fe). But, then if you tick us off, that's when you see Ti and it surprises people. Like you said, people are always like "WTF!!??? Where did that come from?" The intention definitely isn't to hurt. It's simply to call a spade a spade. To call things as they are or as we see them. I'd even compare it to being an umpire or a referee. We just want to call things fairly from all angles, as much as that is possible. A good example is my own mother who totally favors her kids in many situations where it's not called for. I sometimes have to say, "You're biased in my favor. Try to look at the situation as if I weren't your son. Detach yourself from being my mom for a minute, and you'll actually see that I wasn't actually very qualified for that job that I didn't get." So, if something is inaccurate or wrong, we feel the need to correct it or point it out.

But, I do apologize for the "biting remarks" on behalf of INTP's everywhere. Let me know when you find a function or a personality without flaws.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I can help you understand this even better. The Ti does not morally "feel" that racism is wrong - or if one does, then it is a Fi response to racism.

The Ti and Fi are both theoretical standpoints, according to Jung. But the Fi response is a "felt-theory." I would describe that as a moral (valuing) feeling which is difficult to put into words. That the Ti has verbally and conceptually spelled out his opinion to racism is, in a psychological sense, exactly the opposite of the Fi approach even if their opinions are the same. The Fi feels it, while the Ti thinks it. The Fi may try to put these moral feelings into conceptual terms, but this is more difficult and the output is different. The Fi feeling is also an automatic, involuntary response, whereas the Ti has to voluntarily come up with the logical reasons for not believing in racism.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by I Never Find Peace View Post
    I need to hear words of affirmation, and was recently refused that by an INTP because it wasn't a logical request.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

I totally agree with that description of Ti. Usually when my friends say something hypocritical, I'll ask them to "Tell me how that's different than <concept you despise>", and either they'll babble stubbornly for a little bit, they'll think about it and come out with a well-crafted response (this is my goal), or they'll concede. For instance, many people consider plastic surgery to be immoral or somehow wrong. A few weeks ago, I posed the question "Why is it accepted and okay to improve one's skill with mathematics/critical thinking/friendliness but not one's physical appearance?". It came out with a wonderful discussion which I was able to watch and occasionally join (it was over facebook). Eventually, the side that I agree with won.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

But, I do apologize for the "biting remarks" on behalf of INTP's everywhere. Let me know when you find a function or a personality without flaws.
    It's called being passive-aggressive and it is by no means exclusive to INTPs. The boring preoccupations of INTPs on the other hand, tend to be INTP specific.