• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] By the time you know the INFP had a problem, they're long gone?

StarsPer

MBTI Type
INFJ
I've recently come into watching for this behavior in INFPs and wanted to extend the observation to all of you to get some more input.

From my experiences I've had first-hand or been around in my personal life, I've started thinking that INFPs may have a propensity for managing (or not managing) their feelings and self-awareness in such a way that while in a relationship, they are not communicative and thus solution-oriented about their dissatisfactions. And that by the time they finally commit to their dissatisfaction and make it known, it is on their way out the door, leaving their partner with no say, no hope, no relevance.

A little more info thus far would be that I've seen this happen twice with INFJ/INFP relationships and of course when I say "not communicative" that is coming from an INFJs standards. The INFPs seem to harbor a mentality along the lines of that if something is wrong, they "shouldn't have to" point it out. To me that just looks lazy and self-defeating of the INFP.

If this is a pretty habitual way of handling problems, communication and relationships for INFPs, then I have to say that they sound like really unreliable lovers. And that they will move on completely, emotionally, without your having any idea of it seems outright inhumane to me. Again, though, I am an INFJ.

So! Somebody call me an idiot and somebody tell me that I'm right? I'm really curious as to whether other people can and have observed this, and would love any opinions on how and why this may be.. especially if I can view this demeanor as simply being different, rather than really lousy.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sometimes I think INTJs have this mentality, too. "You should know what's wrong. Since you didn't psychicly know my expectations, or observe someone like me in past experience, I'm just going to shut you out instead."

I mean, as an ENFP I honestly do avoid confrontation IRL a lot believe it or not. People on here probably find that hard to believe, but I tend to avoid people who I know I can't reason with at all, or if I know anything I say won't make a damn bit of difference. That tends to be in more casual relationships, though, like people who are practically strangers like landlords, bosses, co-workers, or classmates, that kind of thing.

With people I feel close - or even have a romantic interest in if I'm not close to them yet - to I tend to want to talk about my feelings and I'm frustrated by people who don't do this at all.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not a confirmed INFP and my ex isn't a confirmed INFJ.. but this sounds familiar. Although as Marm said. I ran into this with her. She'd have problems with our relationship, wouldn't say anything then make some sort of secret decision and never say a word. I would mostly bear with a problem for way to long until I got to a near breaking point and then deal with it when it got out of hand.

I learned to deal with it.. I'd see my own problems coming and try to deal with them before they got too big. Then I'd have to keep an eye on her and try to ferret out any problems that might be brewing under the surface. It was all too tiring, didn't work out.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I won't do it anymore. I refuse to try to pour effort into someone like that. It's bullshit.

I don't know if it's type related, or just self-centered-person related.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I won't do it anymore. I refuse to try to pour effort into someone like that. It's bullshit.

I don't know if it's type related, or just self-centered-person related.

I was about to say that in her case it really wasn't intended self-centered, but it never really is, is it? It was like this little secret star chamber she had in her head, judge jury and secret executioner. She started coming around just a bit at the end.. but ugh.. all the energy it takes.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
Uhh. No. I can't say im like this at all.

Sorry. Perhaps you were just with jerks. They can be incommunicative in any type.

R

RDF

[...] From my experiences I've had first-hand or been around in my personal life, I've started thinking that INFPs may have a propensity for managing (or not managing) their feelings and self-awareness in such a way that while in a relationship, they are not communicative and thus solution-oriented about their dissatisfactions. And that by the time they finally commit to their dissatisfaction and make it known, it is on their way out the door, leaving their partner with no say, no hope, no relevance. [...]

I thought INFJs were kind of known for that kind of behavior--slamming the door on relationships without explanation. But maybe your own propensity for it makes you sensitive to it in others?

In any case, I think INFPs can bail on a relationship in a rather peremptory manner. But I think it tends to occur mostly a) when the relationship is still new and the INFP hasn’t fully committed to it in the first place; or b) when the relationship has been having obvious problems and the INFP figures it won’t be much of a surprise if he/she bails out unannounced. At least, that’s when I’ve seen it happen.

IOW, I can see where the INFP may be prone to bail unannounced at certain points in the relationship when he or she feels that the circumstances simply may not require an in-depth explanation.

Beyond that, what can I say; INFPs are introverts. They’re not necessarily going to be good about communicating relationship problems. That’s probably going to be true of all introverts to some degree.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
I thought INFJs were kind of known for that kind of behavior--slamming the door on relationships without explanation. But maybe your own propensity for it makes you sensitive to it in others?

In any case, I think INFPs can bail on a relationship in a rather peremptory manner. But I think it tends to occur mostly a) when the relationship is still new and the INFP hasn’t fully committed to it in the first place; or b) when the relationship has been having obvious problems and the INFP figures it won’t be much of a surprise if he/she bails out unannounced. At least, that’s when I’ve seen it happen.

IOW, I can see where the INFP may be prone to bail unannounced at certain points in the relationship when he or she feels that the circumstances simply may not require an in-depth explanation.

Beyond that, what can I say; INFPs are introverts. They’re not necessarily going to be good about communicating relationship problems. That’s probably going to be true of all introverts to some degree.

Good post. I personally don't like emotional outbursts myself where the person has a problem (a problem that seems a little contrived) and blows it out of proportion in the other person's face. I prefer to do it quietly or not at all. So when presented with a problem in a relationship, I either try to work it out myself (sounds dumb, yeah) like either deal with it or ... well, walk away. I don't like intruding upon someone else, their habits or their person so if they want to do whatever, they can do whatever and either I stay or I leave, either I fit with you or I don't. I don't know why that may be, why I don't just tell the other person that this or that is really bothering me and can you change that because I really like the rest of you? I guess if it was me who was the one with an annoying trait or whatever, I wouldn't be thrilled about ... changing it. Or maybe it's a fear of rejection or failure? Or maybe we want perfection and if we see a flaw, we run like the wind. It is self-defeating in a way and probably extremely obnoxious not to communicate. But we don't do it with ill will. I'd think a honest, blunt conversation can snap the INFP out of their introversion and intense need for self-protection and preservation, and something can change.

I think it may just be an intense need to self-preserve.

R

RDF

Oh, BTW, in addition to what I said above, I can see where INFPs would hate the part where you have to say what went wrong and assign blame for the failure of the relationship, i.e., "It wasn't you, it was me..." or "It just wasn't meant to be..." or "It just shouldn't be this difficult to love someone..."

Too honest to lie and too tender to be honest, I can see where INFPs might look for any justification for avoiding that particular part of the break-up interview and perhaps opt for an unannounced bail-out or maybe just storm away for good after a petty squabble.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
if something is wrong, they "shouldn't have to" point it out. To me that just looks lazy and self-defeating of the INFP.

i'm like this. i don't really mean to be, and i've really been working on it lately. but when i like someone, i pay very close attention to them, and i'm very good at picking up minor cues as to when something is off. i didn't realize until a relationship a few years ago that not everyone does this, and so if they don't do this it doesn't mean that they don't like you as well. does that make sense? as in, i didn't realize not everyone has the same bizarre stalker-level attunement to tiny minor changes in people that i do, and i didn't realize that the lack of that generally had nothing to do with how much they cared about me. though being ExxP, i'd always get bored of being reclusive and grumpy after about an hour or so and then just get angry and vocal about it instead. i also am very bad at shutting anyone i actually like out. lol. my "doorslams" on SOs last all of, oh, 3 hours at most. i could see an INFP staying quiet-angry for longer, though, because they don't need to interact with people like i do. i had a cute INFP boyfriend who was sort of a communication fail like that. he'd just go hide in his apartment and grump around and play video games until someone bothered him.

to be fair, on the other hand, from experience in several NFJ relationships and a few friendships, NFJ communication is also very unclear sometimes. i've never met an NFJ i would call particularly communicative. not that you guys aren't skilled communicators - you're usually very skilled facilitators and diplomats - but you're not usually very open about yourselves and your own feelings about things. i find with my good NFJ friend that i have to coax her deep feelings out of her - sometimes it feels like pulling a tooth, all just to get down to what's important. i guess that seems a little intrusive of me, but i don't know how to respond to her and help her until i understand what's important to her in a certain situation. over time i've come to know her well enough that i'm usually quite good at guessing, but it's still not easy. and by the same token, NFJs don't always give a very wide range of behavior allowance for an NFP to play in - like if i don't walk the straight and narrow (and invisible) path the NFJ thinks is best, the NFJ could be quite cold to me. that can really make it hard for an NFP's general operation, which is to be pretty fluid and open. that may feed into the reason for an INFP not voicing things.

imo, FP/FJ differences have a HUGE impact in relationships, especially between NFs (i think that must have something to do with how N obscures and "bends" F, as opposed to more up-front and clear SFs).

R

RDF

[....] like if i don't walk the straight and narrow (and invisible) path the NFJ thinks is best, the NFJ could be quite cold to me. that can really make it hard for an NFP's general operation, which is to be pretty fluid and open. that may feed into the reason for an INFP not voicing things.

imo, FP/FJ differences have a HUGE impact in relationships, especially between NFs (i think that must have something to do with how N obscures and "bends" F, as opposed to more up-front and clear SFs).

Yeah, great point! If an INFJ were to get thin-lipped and disapproving on me, I would treat that as a get-out-of-jail-free card and slip away quietly. If the other party can't be bothered to facilitate communication, then that relieves me of any responsibility to invest in communication myself.

Same with NTs who dog me about being too expressive or explaining myself too much or whatever. There comes a point where I feel they're putting up too many obstacles to communication and I slip into comfortable silence and wait for a good opportunity to slip away.

I try to be straightforward with people and communicate with them honestly. But as an introvert, my default mode is uncommunicativeness: Give me a good reason to go there, and that's where I go. :)

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As was already said on this thread, I think INFJs can be a bit like that too, but perhaps before the exit out the door, you are more likely to be on the receiving end of an INFJ explosion of rage and distress where they'll dump EVERYTHING that's wrong on you. Perhaps INFPs skip the explosion part. Hmm...

Engineer

Dependable Skeleton
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've recently come into watching for this behavior in INFPs and wanted to extend the observation to all of you to get some more input.

From my experiences I've had first-hand or been around in my personal life, I've started thinking that INFPs may have a propensity for managing (or not managing) their feelings and self-awareness in such a way that while in a relationship, they are not communicative and thus solution-oriented about their dissatisfactions. And that by the time they finally commit to their dissatisfaction and make it known, it is on their way out the door, leaving their partner with no say, no hope, no relevance.

A little more info thus far would be that I've seen this happen twice with INFJ/INFP relationships and of course when I say "not communicative" that is coming from an INFJs standards. The INFPs seem to harbor a mentality along the lines of that if something is wrong, they "shouldn't have to" point it out. To me that just looks lazy and self-defeating of the INFP.

If this is a pretty habitual way of handling problems, communication and relationships for INFPs, then I have to say that they sound like really unreliable lovers. And that they will move on completely, emotionally, without your having any idea of it seems outright inhumane to me. Again, though, I am an INFJ.

So! Somebody call me an idiot and somebody tell me that I'm right? I'm really curious as to whether other people can and have observed this, and would love any opinions on how and why this may be.. especially if I can view this demeanor as simply being different, rather than really lousy.

This sounds exactly like my relationship with my ex. The best she would do with this would be to slightly hint that something was bothering her, then say it was fine when I apologized or asked how I could make it different. The only warning I got that she wasn't happy was when she told me that she was seeing one of the guy friends she was hanging out with recently and didn't want to be in our relationship anymore. The way she said it was completely unapologetic and in a way, directed at me bluntly, like it should have been self-explanatory and I should have known and just adapted. I don't know, maybe it was because she was also kind of a bitch, but this seems quite similar to what you described.

Of course, being a t6, and an INTJ, I did what any other of my kind would do: cut her out of everything I did after a moment of letting her know I was extremely disappointed in her behavior and shocked that she considered our relationship so temporary that she didn't have the common decency to tell me anything about this. In contrast, two months before, she was talking about getting married.

So, yeah.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm not a confirmed INFP either.. falling more into that "ambivert" region. So my post may have little bearing. I would expect this issue your talking about has more to do with the level of introversion and the inidivual all together.

For me, I have been EXTREMELY prone to bringing up things that need to be discussed, but suck ass at realizing when things just can't be resolved and leaving. I am usually very cautious of who I "plug into" with relationships.. so by the time I'm very close.. I've analyzed the other person to death with various scenarios of trust, self disclosure, and if they give back equally. Once plugged in.. I become the one that ALWAYS wants to talk through issues and resolve. It is infact, unbearable for me to be in a bad or restricted relationship. It really fucks my shit up.. I can't focus on work, friends, projects, etc. if I have a problem brewing in my own home with my partner. I am the poster child for "lets work it out.. how do you feel.. what do you need.. heres what I need.. how can we change our relationship for the better.." etc. Then again, perhaps I am really an extrovert. In terms of INFJ's.. my first great love was with an INFJ.. and this person did tend to hold back on problems.. gloss over stuff.. so there were many times that he was unhappy but I didn't pick it up. BUt those things would eventually come crashing down too.. (3 months after a BBQ when I made a comment about him being out of work) and would eventually be delt with. So what is my point here? Oh yes... my guess is that more accurately typed INFP's should post and let you know if they've responded this way.. but I'm thinking it might be more individual than type.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
By the time you know the INFP had a problem, they're long gone?

I think I use this kind of "strategy" in a more subtle way. By the time you realize I had a problem, the problem is long gone. And most of the normal problems fall to this category. The obvious issue is that I can't be certain when this is a good strategy. There's also the question of honesty. I don't want to start pointing the flaws in the other, because once I point them out, they will focus their attention to those flaws and it will most likely be blown out of proportion. To not point the flaws is not as honest as I would like, but I don't know if it is better to point out things that are from my perspective flaws, and then they will have to try to change themselves according to that info? Fineline said it pretty well:

Too honest to lie and too tender to be honest, I can see where INFPs might look for any justification for avoiding that particular part of the break-up interview and perhaps opt for an unannounced bail-out or maybe just storm away for good after a petty squabble.

I would add that this is not just a question of "too tender". It goes right down to my idea of individuality. I don't believe that people should conform to my ideas. I don't want people pushing their table manners on me, so I can't go doing it to them. There are levels of voicing your needs, though.. So, it's not all or nothing deal. I guess the problem of OP will be more manifested in INFPs who have less options between "Hint that there is something wrong" and "Walk out the door". In other words, the more black and white the INFP, the less they will have tools to move on these gray areas of conflicting ethics.

A

Anew Leaf

I would say this is a problem for younger/more immature INFPs.

It probably stems a bit from our ridiculous idealization of other people. We think we are mind readers, and that everyone else is one too.

I did something like this in a relationship I had with an ENTP. He was 5 years younger than me, and we were in completely different places in life... But I loved him a ton. In my head I was already trying on the idea of what marriage/family might look like. Until one night he told me his Real thoughts on marriage (what's the point?) and kids (no thanks) and sharing finances (hell no) and it hit me that we were not compatible in this realm. So from his perspective he saw: me being loving and sweet. From my perspective I saw: love and happiness contrasted with the cold reality of "this isn't going to the train station i want it to, and I'm crazy to want to change him.". So I broke it off.

I don't think this holds to just INFPs though. I've been blindsided by an INTJ and INTP before.

Now that I know what I want, I am more prepared to being upfront on what I want, and therefore I will more likely get what I want. I could have saved a lot of my own heartache and others as well if I had done that from the get go.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From my experiences I've had first-hand or been around in my personal life, I've started thinking that INFPs may have a propensity for managing (or not managing) their feelings and self-awareness in such a way that while in a relationship, they are not communicative and thus solution-oriented about their dissatisfactions.

I admit I do try & solve problems on my own because evaluating things is an introverted process for me. I don't communicate my feelings directly to others to solve them. Fi types tend to internalize feelings & emotions to deal with them. It's the nature of the mindset. Part of it is the need to make sure the feeling is valid. I know I am very sensitive, so I like to chew over a feeling for a bit to make sure it's not just an overreaction. We also tend to look inward first when there is a problem, to see what we can do to improve. From my perspective, it seems FJs tend to look outward first, seeing what the other person needs to do. Fi types are more likely to blame themselves & adjust, until they can't anymore, and then they resent that others are not adjusting (this is born out of the assumption everyone makes that others think as they do).

Anyhow, if I determine a feeling is valid and I'm not able to settle it myself, then I turn to other people for ideas (Ne idea-bouncing, let's call it), but I still don't like to have to define exactly what I feel. I'll often discuss it in a hypothetical, general form. This is because Fi-dom often experience dismissal of their feelings as invalid or unacceptable, or simply unfathomable, so they learn to only expose their feelings very carefully. Our feelings tend to be deep, but vague also; I can't say "X is important to me", but I can communicate a general philosophy, and from there I do expect someone to be able to discern in general what may or may not offend me. And when I say that, I mean very much in general, not specifics.

So INFPs possibly do tell you how they feel, but it's indirectly stated. We don't tend to do dramatic confrontations.

If you notice that Fi-doms avoid telling you how they feel, you may want to examine your reactions to them. They might find you dismissive & not understanding. You may be unintentionally misunderstanding what they feel or not even realizing when they are communicating a feeling.

And that by the time they finally commit to their dissatisfaction and make it known, it is on their way out the door, leaving their partner with no say, no hope, no relevance.

This is because Fi types often don't see their feelings as something that can be moved by others. So what can you do to change them? Nothing. Of course that is not entirely true, but the mindset tends to be that only they can alter how they feel, and if they have not been able to change their feeling of dissatisfaction with a situation, then it's the situation that needs to change.

The INFPs seem to harbor a mentality along the lines of that if something is wrong, they "shouldn't have to" point it out. To me that just looks lazy and self-defeating of the INFP.

I hate when people do this also. I never expect someone to read my mind.
However, often when I try to express a problem, it is dismissed, invalidated or just not understood. This is because Fi values are quite individual & often unrelated to what others around them deem important.

Anyhow, I often take these reactions as a refusal to solve the problem & to take any responsibility for it. Then the processes I mentioned above start. I try to solve the feeling of dissatisfaction myself, but it can't be changed, so then I leave, because it seems that's the only option left. However, more often than not, this process cycles a bit before I actually bail. I'm very loyal, and once I'm attached to someone, then it takes a lot to permanently sever the relationship. I reattempt to communicate feelings many times before I give up.

Another thing I will also say is, I do not want to have to "teach" someone how to be in a relationship. I don't expect a mind reader, & I will allow for growth to occur, but I do expect some emotional sensitivity and awareness of how I feel without me having to spell it out constantly. I'm very liberal with what I tolerate & very patient, so this is not unreasonable, IMO.

In the case of a person just being wrong for me as a whole, then I don't want to give them a chance to solve the problems, because I've deemed them unsuitable for a relationship. It's not anything they do or don't do so much as just who they are, period.

I agree with this. The INFP has evaluated the relationship as not worth the trouble & that usually only happens when it's new or very casual & shallow. It's likely the INFP had little emotional investment to begin with.... In the case of "b", the INFP probably sees the situation as unsolvable, but I bet they still did not come to this conclusion without the process I described above.

Hopelandic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
me
I find that infjs' typically assume and ascribe meanings to my actions based on their views, not on my reality.

There are two ways with dealing with a problem- changing your view of it, or changing the situation. If I have an issue, I will try the former way first, because I don't expect a person I'm in a relationship with to change their personality for me.

It is not about expecting someone to read my mind- I highly doubt an Fi-dom would like their mind or feelings to be "read", in fact I would hate that. If I wanted my feelings known I would express them! I don't expect anyone to know what I do not express! I find Fjs' can become clingy around me because they assume so many things about my behaviours as being dismissive or that something is up or wrong with me.

I like to fully understand a situation before I leap into dealing with it. I let it parse out before I come to conclusions, otherwise I wont have the proper information to deal with it. Sometimes by the time i've gathered data, I acknowledge I made the wrong decision in dealing with the person. This mostly happens in short term relationships that move fast without me getting a good read on the person, or if that person starts changing their behaviour shortly after we start engaging. I always see the good in people, and sometimes it takes a while for my rose coloured glasses to come off to realise, that it's not going to work. And I have every right to do what's best for me. I also acknowledge that being together would not be in the best interests of the other party as well.

I don't bail on someone who has good interpersonal skills. I have instead, walked away from people who weren't ready for a relationship themselves; who weren't healthy. People often blame infps' for their non communication, and assume that if the infp brought the issue up, the relationship would be fine. Well, it takes two to tango. Sometimes relationships aren't salvageable, and actually focusing on fixing the problems wont change much at all. It's not just infps' who make decisions based on probable outcomes- everybody does it. If it's fixable, sure I would bring up the problem and work on it, if it's not, it's simply going to hurt the other person to keep it going any longer. I would rather end it, then drag someone along. I'm not co dependent, and I do not go into a relationship expecting someone to change! I take and accept people as they are and am fully equipped to realise when a relationship is not going to work in the long term!