• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] So how does it feel

jixmixfix

Permabanned
To be an idealist? do you dream about jumping through heaps of fluffy clouds and stuff?

KDude

My idealism doesn't really have anything to do with a fantasy world exactly. Fluffy in a humane way though, I guess. And I might get a little fantasy-based in that I kind of look up to archetypes, and not always real things.. I'm attracted to fictional heroism, for example.. sometimes stuff that we rarely see expressed in real life. Secondly, these fantasies about what is "good" probably clash with Te, most of all. In it's purest form, Te doesn't exactly concern itself with what is ideal in a humane way, but in terms of objectives and utility. I'm more sensitive to process (especially concerning people), while they may end up adapting a sort of ends-justifies-the-means worldview. That said, I've grown to understand some of it too (as TJs aren't bereft of Fi, and understand some of it in themselves).

Anyways, that's the moral angle. There's other day-to-day things that I wish didn't exist or weren't around. Maybe I DO want to jump around in clouds, actually. :D I mean, I'm tired of what passes for life sometimes. Work, eat, sleep. Bleh. I want to run away from all of it sometimes. I might also be on the ideal side with my expectations on how we all judge each other in social situations, day to day. I hate how materialism is so valued, for example. I'm not unique in thinking this, but either way, it brings me down.

OmarFW

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Idealism is not all about fantasy, it's about hope and the rejection of settling for less (for me at least).

When I look at society and see some things I think should be changed, i KNOW they are not going to be changed anytime soon because of how concrete the system in place is, but I do not just give up and deal with it. I preach my ideas and opinions in hopes that my message will be taken up by someone else.

That is how my idealism functions. It manifests itself in everyday things as well. We all have mental images of what the "perfect girl/guy" for us would be. Some if not most of us strive to find that person, that is idealism.

It is acting regardless of the low likelihood of a desired outcome. Straight up fantasizing deals more in the realm of things that actually cannot and will not ever exist. World peace is a highly irrational ideal but there is a legitimate way for their to be world peace so it's still an ideal and not a fantasy. The chances of achieving that ideal is what makes it seem so impossible or fantasy-like.

A

Anew Leaf

To be an idealist? do you dream about jumping through heaps of fluffy clouds and stuff?

To be honest... I daily expect that when I wake up, I will be floating on a cloud somewhere... there will be sparkling stars all over a pink sky.... and my pillow will be my new best friend: a pegacorn.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
To be honest... I daily expect that when I wake up, I will be floating on a cloud somewhere... there will be sparkling stars all over a pink sky.... and my pillow will be my new best friend: a pegacorn.

I want what you are smoking...please..

A

Anew Leaf

I want what you are smoking...please..

Haha, I have never done drugs. Just my Ne and Fi thinking aloud pretty happy thoughts.

Also, I know that this is what the masses think of when they think idealist INFP wandering aimlessly through life.

KDude

I have done drugs.. and oddly, having been sober for the last 15 years, I wander even more aimlessly now than I ever did. :\

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Haha, I have never done drugs. Just my Ne and Fi thinking aloud pretty happy thoughts.

Also, I know that this is what the masses think of when they think idealist INFP wandering aimlessly through life.

You should bottle and market that. call it NeFi. :)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
kind of like this.

*NOTE: PERSONAL INTERPRETATION OF NFNESS*

sailor-moon-show-lrg.png
pegasus-mythology-191x250.jpg

Visionary-art-work-nicole-mizoguchi-3.jpg
kida3.jpg

Bunny%25252B-%25252BKitten%25252B-%25252Bcaramel.jpg
Eye%20of%20the%20Storm5.jpg

3228033304_15fcc1e795.jpg

princess.jpg

magic_light_forest_glen.jpg

06.RainbowRoad.jpg

45_11_7---Sunrise_web.jpg

KDude

:huh:

I don't know if I'd use Sailor Moon as one of my own archetypes, but.... I guess you're saying the same thing I am. :cheese:

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
How does it feel to be an idealist? I'd have to have a point of reference to distinguish. But I don't, I'm not a realist. So this can't be illustrated through much of a 'compare and contrast' method.

You'll find every range of emotion in the idealist, with "contentment" probably being the rarest. Idealists can be content with many *aspects* but rarely the whole. (IMO), for this would almost negate the concept of idealism. To break it down as simply as I can, it seems to come back to the idea that what ones knows of an object is soley in ones mind. You might think you know an object because of what it looks, smells, sounds, tastes, or feels like, but the idealist holds that this is not the only experience of the object. It's form can be experienced by other means (abstract) and the idea of a 'perfect form' is born. The idealist seeks this "perfect form" in many ways. Those things will depend on the individual, and what they chose to value. The key is to understand that all idealists have some kind of image in their mind of what could or should be, not what is. Unhappy idealists have tremendous difficulty in connecting these two worlds, but it is through this hope or goal that alot of progress is made. One might say that if idealism is not accomplishable then it is not truly ideal, while others might hold to a perfect form that is just not accomplishable *yet*. Terms like "hope" "dream" "wish" "possibility" resonate within the idealist.

But how does it feeeeel?
Uh... like me.

How does it feel to be you?