• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] So how does it feel

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:huh:

I don't know if I'd use Sailor Moon as one of my own archetypes, but.... I guess you're saying the same thing I am. :cheese:

:laugh:

are you sure? you might look cute in a skirt and tiara.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
I do not fancy clouds or bunnies or puppies or flowers or floating on clouds or bubbles or pink or hearts...

I am one of those cynical, extremely sarcastic dark ones who enjoys a little S&M. (JK)

I do look quite rainbows and bunnies though. And people tend to treat me like I am that little girl. Which is so annoying and maddening. Grrr.

Idealism to me is always thinking of possibilities where the situation/reality can be better or perfected. I do have this odd thing for perfection, which usually fails me. It's not about castles in the sky, it's about the best of today, the best of tomorrow, of the future. I talk about the possibilities of the future more than what happened in the past. What could be my future gets me going. I imagine a perfect self and I thrive for it, though very slowly. I imagine a 'perfect' reality where I experience an optimum level of happiness, which is something I compare my present day to (always falls short). But my perfect reality is not fantastical in nature. It's actually not so different from my friends who are not Fi. We all want a certain partner, a certain future.

KDude

:laugh:

are you sure? you might look cute in a skirt and tiara.

Hmm... how about blue overalls? :cool:

1299143029.jpg

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
No, I don't dream about jumping through fluffy clouds.

However, I am very sensitive to animals and I pay close attention to their individual personalities and can communicate with pets. I don't mean telepathically, I just mean that animals communicate with eye contact and facial expressions, etc.

I often dream of how I would help other people or how I would change the world in practical ways if I had x amount of superfluous income.

I trust my intuition to guide me to who and what "feels right" and that often works out for me.

I also can maintain a certain level of optimism if I'm able to focus on what is good about a situation, and that can be as simple as pretty surroundings or being out in nature, I'm able to enjoy the moment while more cynical people will keep harping on what's wrong or what needs to be improved in the situation, I'd rather enjoy what I can about it.

My feelings can be hurt pretty easily, but only by certain people or in certain situations. However, when I was a child my feelings were hurt a lot more frequently, I was verrrrry sensitive, I didn't have as much of a rational protection of myself at that age.

I also believed in a lot more hokey spiritual things when I was younger. I still believe that there is a Divine Energy in the universe, and I believe in karma, but I mean I used to believe in astrology and all kinds of things like that up until my early twenties.

I want to see the good in situations or people, I think, and I do get called on that a lot ...especially by skeptical SJ bfs, who I probably like around to help me be practical and cautious sometimes, as long as they don't drag me down too much. Some SJs I can't deal with, but I think they're usually STJs, and I don't think certain NTJs are any better. It's not even an N/S thing, it's an FP/TJ thing. I guess that's why I'm drawn more to SFJs.

But, like, an ISFJ said to me yesterday that he's going to wait for the right situation to come to him. I do believe things like that happen, but you have to meet it halfway with effort and putting yourself out there. I've always had a pretty firm grasp on the effort thing, actually. He was like "I thought you were an Idealist" and I said maybe I'm an SP, because you can't just wait around for people to magically knock on your door or meet you by chance in the street, that's crazysauce. Meaningful wonderful things like that can happen, but only if you focus your energy in that direction. It doesn't just happen on its own.

I also don't want anything to do with Disney princesses, for fucking serious, no thank you. On the other hand, I want to adopt every stray cat I see and I like stuffed animals.

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Ugh.

Being idealist is good...but if something is out of the ballpark for my vision, that part feels like being boiled in oil. I feel peaceful, happy, and interesting. But I see things missing the target of what I imagined.

I have a choice to "Zen out" and not let it bother me. That is, I have a choice not to make a mountain out of a mole hill...if it really is a mole hill. I mean, it depends whether I resign myself to what I can do (really do) or whether I will hang the whole fate of the universe on the point that is bothering me.

Is the battle worth it? (Te) How to put it so that nobody or thing is damaged?

I've shown my ass and lost control. Other times, I let something slide when I shouldn't have. So the real war is within myself. I've upset the apple cart. I've let the apples rot. Now it's about carefully measuring apples, moving them slightly, stacking them in rows, or whatever. Here I'm using apples as a metaphor for the tinkering of social relationships, which is "how to be angry, in the right measure, when." I dump over the whole apple cart less and less.

If one worm is in an apple, then perhaps I freak out less...if I can. Of course, I'm not really talking about apples.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To be an idealist... it isn't limited to the fantasy world that I had constructed since childhood. When I was in my early 20s, I've found that the child-like idealism was dashed when I awoke to find just how truly limited reality is, and even though I wanted to see the good in people, I found a lot of people, particularly authority figures, failed to meet my expectations that people should have/ ought to have integrity. I think as an NF, especially INFJ, my idealism is directed more towards how people should be, rather than how they are... and wish for them to see out their full potential.

I still have the deep seated imagination I possessed since childhood, but my idealism isn't limited to just that. I'd like to think of it as a flower growing towards the sun... my feet are planted firmly in the ground, but my hopes and dreams grow towards the sunlight, and absorbing this light is what helps to keep me going in life, even when things disappoint me, or don't go my way.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
For me being an idealist it's all about everything around me and not fluffy clouds, although if you can see the symbolism in disguise, you are one step ahead ;)

Within my imagination is where my ideals lie mostly as also being a realist, i'd only get disappointed when my thoughs have no room for fruition, so this is why i spend a lot of time in my mind. Creating a world of serenity and integrity where noone can disrupt the zen like qualities which are emerging.

I have ideals for myself and if i see potential in someone, i'll help in anyway i can so they can aspire to greatness. I see the best in people even when they've hurt me. I see life as stumbling blocks where ultimately good will come my way because i perceive myself to be a genuinely nice person. You may call this bullshit, i don't care.

Maybe becoming an idealist saves me from pain as i'm viewing situations from a different perspective. meh.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
How does it feel to be an idealist? I'd have to have a point of reference to distinguish. But I don't, I'm not a realist. So this can't be illustrated through much of a 'compare and contrast' method.

You'll find every range of emotion in the idealist, with "contentment" probably being the rarest. Idealists can be content with many *aspects* but rarely the whole. (IMO), for this would almost negate the concept of idealism. To break it down as simply as I can, it seems to come back to the idea that what ones knows of an object is soley in ones mind. You might think you know an object because of what it looks, smells, sounds, tastes, or feels like, but the idealist holds that this is not the only experience of the object. It's form can be experienced by other means (abstract) and the idea of a 'perfect form' is born. The idealist seeks this "perfect form" in many ways. Those things will depend on the individual, and what they chose to value. The key is to understand that all idealists have some kind of image in their mind of what could or should be, not what is. Unhappy idealists have tremendous difficulty in connecting these two worlds, but it is through this hope or goal that alot of progress is made. One might say that if idealism is not accomplishable then it is not truly ideal, while others might hold to a perfect form that is just not accomplishable *yet*. Terms like "hope" "dream" "wish" "possibility" resonate within the idealist.

But how does it feeeeel?
Uh... like me.

How does it feel to be you?

how does it feel to be me? well it's basically just a heavy dose of whisky, big boobs, fast cars and big guns!:devil:

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think my idealism has mainly to do with partly expecting people to be a letdown - because that happens so often - and partly expecting that they'll live up to the perhaps unrealistic ideas I have about how they should behave; by the way, all that applies to my views on my own behaviour, as well.

I certainly do like heroes as well. I really am a weird split between thinking that people can attain very very high standards of goodness and nobility, and feeling totally cynical and like basically everyone is a giant letdown.

I also think that seeing potential in people is both one of my biggest gifts, and one of my biggest blind spots. Because especially if it's someone I kind of WANT to idealise, I can see all kinds of things that simply prove to not be there. On the other hand, I think I am good at encouraging other people by believing in them and not giving up on them because of the potential.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
how does it feel to be me? well it's basically just a heavy dose of whisky, big boobs, fast cars and big guns!:devil:

That sounds retarded, not ISTP.

R

RDF

I'm always looking at things to see how they could be improved, to foresee where they're leading, to figure out where I can apply my efforts to change things for the better. I think your humorous example of how ISTPs see things makes a good point. For me, it gets a little tiresome doing the idealism thing all the time, living three-quarters in my head, trying to see things as they might be instead of how they are.

I've been trying to live more in the moment in recent years, just to focus on things as they are and see why they're that way (instead of the way I think they should be). I'm enjoying the exercise as I get better at it with time.

A

Anew Leaf

I like being me.

Being an idealist means to me:
Seeing beauty in the smallness of the world
Secretly crying because of this beauty
Seeing the good in others
Making yourself laugh
Making others laugh
Inspiring others
Being able to go to www.cuteoverload.com and not getting overloaded

jixmixfix