• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Completing the Square: How to Spot an INFP

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here's a link with a good description of the INFP

INFP

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I imagine it must feel very frustrating for the INFP to have their thought process judged and limited by other's limitations.
:steam:

My sense is that many (maybe even most) people rely on norms and the expected to keep a sense of psychological balance. If they personally experience a disruption to this sense of security with discomfort or even fear, then maybe that's why they'd project that experience out on to others and label anyone else's engagement in those thought processes as psychologically unstable--because it would feel so to them. It seems to me that INFPs are much less likely than many to rely on norms and the expected for a sense of psychological balance. They seem to have a fluidity of thought that reaches beyond artificial limitations, and desires to push others out beyond the pretense of those boundaries as well. Being challenged to venture beyond thought processes that feel safe could certainly be quite scary for many people.

I think that may be very true... it definitely relates to how INFP's often seem to want to inspire others to become their best and do the best they can :yes:

Toonia, that description was good for me, I especially liked how open ended, questioning, and searching the ending was.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
I guess overall I experience someone as a possible INFP who generally keeps their own company, expresses desire for deep emotional connection, is intellectually playful and creative, takes strong (sometimes surprisingly strong) stands to defend their values, and acts on a deep sensitivity to both other's emotional experience and their own.

Wow that was amazingly accurate. Especially the observations of our seeming contradictions - soft and fuzzy but clawed and stubborn when we draw that line in the sand on our values. Independent and solitary yet yearning for deep connections, playful yet sensitive.

I don't know what to say except, you are the bee's knees. :)

And I can't help but say this because I'm so giddy for you and your own personal INFP so if it's inappropriate then somebody spank me:

May you have as long as you want - a lifetime even - to continue observing and enjoying the idiosyncrasies and delights of the very special INFP in your life.

snowflurri

MBTI Type
INFP
Hmm... INFPs.
well, the one who is usually quiet and when you suddenly talk to them they go "huh?" because they're too immersed in their own thoughts that they didn't really notice whats going on around them.
INFPs are also usually shy and awkward in situations when they meet new people and tend to take some time to open up to the person.
When around people that they're close to, or who 'click' with them, they tend to talk more and are generally more open, usually engaging in deep discussions and not really gossiping.
They probably also have a different perspective of things and issues compared to others that people may not even have thought of.

Usehername

On a mission
My INFP brother is a tall guy who looks like he'd be as fantastic a hockey player as he actually is. He can never find shirts with wide enough shoulders.

He's loud, a clear Ne user, and superpwns at math.

He has zero perception of the passage of time.

He sometimes chooses to spend hours at a time reading or writing.

milti girl

MBTI Type
INFP
"INFPs have no time for chitchat." - That was a line from the INFP description that was linked. Really? I love chitchat and gossip. I can small-talk for hours.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
"INFPs have no time for chitchat." - That was a line from the INFP description that was linked. Really? I love chitchat and gossip. I can small-talk for hours.

Maybe it means chit chatting to strangers? I hate chit chatting to the mums outside the school. The only chit chat I enjoy is with my friends and that can go on for hours and hours.

I wouldn't know how to spot another INFP just by looking at them, for me spotting them usually comes from interacting for a little while, and there is just that connection that makes me aware that this is a soul mate I am speaking to.

Although people tell me that large eyes is one of the traits, go go googly eyes. :cheese:

milti girl

MBTI Type
INFP
Well, I took it to mean small talk and good old gossip that doesn't really go anywhere. You know, definitelty not an exchanging of ideas. I do that a lot. And I love listening to a discussion where people are exchanging ideas, though I rarely contribute to such a discussion myself.

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Oh, I don't particularly feel right about gossip. So I try to avoid it. Still, I like to talk about silly stuff that everyone experiences like forgetting what you are watching on tv when the commercials come on.. I consider that chit chat.

Tanya24

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm an INFP... I'd say we're a little reserved... with occassional slips of silliness... I'd say we look around a lot.... at people, at things, out the window... JUST WONDERING... when we speak, if not comfortable we tend to get tongue tied... I don't know about anyone else but I tend to blush and laugh at myself.

Leysing

MBTI Type
FiSi
Just look for the ones who walk into walls and spill coffee on their clothes. :doh:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Would you say INFP's blush more than other types? Like that person who blushes in situations that wouldn't normally call for blushing (meaning I can't understand why they're blushing)? I know I just said blushing way too many times.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
All the other NF's have a "how to spot" thread, so now I want to show some of my fellow INFP's some love.

How are we spotted?

I'm not really sure, actually... I'll give my own ideas as soon as possible.

Hopefully this thread will give us all greater insight into how the INFP mind works, just as the ENFJ and ENFP threads did.

You dont want to know!

Oleander

MBTI Type
INFP
INFPs spill their clothes on coffee and walk through walls. Others don't believe this so they don't see it happening.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
You dont want to know!

Funny you say that. I made this thread like 8 months ago and I actually don't really care any more. I've lost faith in the value of MBTI, so I literally don't want to know sheerly out of disinterest :laugh:

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
INFPs spill their clothes on coffee and walk through walls. Others don't believe this so they don't see it happening.

I think this is a great description. Very funny, Oleander!

I inadvisedly say that I "intuit" other INFPs. And it's like a big smiley "Hey!"

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
This is interesting. I'm only seen as quiet/smart. I didn't really give much thought on how other's perceive me. Well some people assume I'm an emo skater because of my clothes. I don't like standing out (I don't wear crazy stuff) so I just wear T-shirts and cargo pants. And the smart because of my decent grades and glasses? Yet I've had people call me cool because I always look so relaxed and sure of myself, but I'm dying on the inside. And my face is hard to read for some. I'm can be very stoic. Other than that I look like an average guy. I see that some people view the INFP as being clumsy? That's not me at all, I'm very aware of my surroundings. I'll cop to overlooking mess piling up, lol.