User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 43

  1. #11
    ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INfj
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    I don't toally agree with that one, Nighting, just because I myself am not that quiet and can speak out often. One of my INFP friends is the same way. I don't know, I guess I just don't relate introverted and talking that much myself, because just because you are living in your mind doesn't mean you can't speak, its just tiring and requires breaks. I wouldn't rely on that quality alone.
    No no... that's not what I was refering to at all... Not that you're quiet as in you don't talk... but quiet about your convictions... beliefs. INFPs prefer to keep it to themselves... not sharing. Even though you know they're thinking of something. That's what I meant by "quiet".

  2. #12
    will make your day Carebear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    1,449

    Default

    Ah, well in that case you're right. Especially if you're talking about inner convictions and not "what do you think of the war in Iraq" or other political convictions, in which case an INFP might be anything but silent.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

  3. #13
    Resident Snot-Nose GZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    infp
    Posts
    1,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tovlo View Post

    INFPs seem to express as perfectly capable of and willing to keep their own company, but also seem to have an empty space of longing for deep and intimate connection with the right long-term companionship. By my observation, INFP's choose their company carefully and would rather keep their own company than engage with unsatisfying company.

    I usually observe the hints of Fi as an agitation with some expression in the external world that is violating an internal value. To my observation, INFPs are very adept at both a subtle and crafty calling out of people as well as direct expression of reprimand when there has been a violation of their values.



    Most INFPs I know I would consider as having a romantic heart, but I've seen it exhibited both without reserve and alternatively masked with a resigned romantic cynicism.

    My experience of INFPs is quite often one of clever playfulness rather than seriousness.

    I do see a "dreaminess" in many INFPs, but I don't exclusively experience them as lounging languidly on a cloud, contemplating the internal experience of life. Often I experience them as bounding with intellectual agility from cloud to cloud creating clever artistry. I've observed what seems a playful toying with the intellectual assumptions people hold, seeing what happens and how people react when everything is turned.

    The emotional experience of others seems to penetrate deeply into an INFPs experience. I've seen this manifest in some of the most insightful and supportive caring I've ever witnessed or experienced. Though I've also seen more than one frustrated INFP accuse those around them of infecting their emotional environment with negative energy.

    Most INFPs I have experienced do express as very gentle, yet I am also well aware they have sharp claws. Taking that gentle expression for granted might leave one suprised at the experience of finding them shredding something to bits.

    I guess overall I experience someone as a possible INFP who generally keeps their own company, expresses desire for deep emotional connection, is intellectually playful and creative, takes strong (sometimes surprisingly strong) stands to defend their values, and acts on a deep sensitivity to both other's emotional experience and their own.
    That was really good, I think... I especially liked the bolded parts, and especially liked the italicized and bolded parts.

  4. #14
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Tovlo has a very astute view of INFP.

  5. #15
    Resident Snot-Nose GZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    infp
    Posts
    1,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    No no... that's not what I was refering to at all... Not that you're quiet as in you don't talk... but quiet about your convictions... beliefs. INFPs prefer to keep it to themselves... not sharing. Even though you know they're thinking of something. That's what I meant by "quiet".
    Oh, well thats definitely very accurate then. When we talked about MBTI in psychology class, a lot of people were suprised I was F and said the T described me and the N described me best (more on that in a second). Thats because values and emotions are things I generally keep to myself and other people may not notice them.

    So yah, about intuition... some of the people mistook the theory and thought that people were only one function, not all, so they said I was "Intuitive". The world really only would see the Ne in me, and as a result many people do in fact think I'm "insane", "psycho", or even "completely psycho". Even another INFP thinks I'm psycho, even though she does the exact same thing!

    Which raises another question, why, and especially for types who don't have strong Ne, does Ne seem so insane?!

  6. #16
    will make your day Carebear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    1,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    Which raises another question, why, and especially for types who don't have strong Ne, does Ne seem so insane?!
    Ne thrives on breaking the norms, dismantling the expected and rebuilding and reconnecting it in new surprising ways. Insanity also has aspects of breaking norms, strange connections and surprises. So to an untrained eye they can look very similar.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

  7. #17
    Lallygag Moderator Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    5,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Spotting an INFP. Hmm.

    Quietly emotional, "deep", reclusive, probably quite keen on eco-issues... witchcraft....anything new-age that isn't obviously wacky. Detest seeing others trodden on, and will quietly champion causes. Likely to give time to good causes, even if it not too obvious. Often intelligent and powerful in their beliefs and efforts.

    At their worst, self critical, even paralysed, by lack of self confidence, or over analysing own performance. They may appear almost bipolar in ups and downs. They tend to have a shadow that they can wallow in, in a self destructive "I'm worthless" or "humanity is worthless" mode.
    It's crossed my mind that by listing negatives I might have been seen to be kinda harsh on INFPs. If so, I apologise. I listed them because I have seen them often enough in INFPs that they might help identify them if caught on a bad day, or time, in their lives. Healthy, they are great, probably my favourite type, in fact!

  8. #18
    will make your day Carebear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    1,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    It's crossed my mind that by listing negatives I might have been seen to be kinda harsh on INFPs. If so, I apologise. I listed them because I have seen them often enough in INFPs that they might help identify them if caught on a bad day, or time, in their lives. Healthy, they are great, probably my favourite type, in fact!
    I didn't even notice that it was mostly negatives before you pointed it out. I just read it and thought: "Yes, those are often telltale signs as well." Especially for some of the younger, more insecure INFPs.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

  9. #19
    Resident Snot-Nose GZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    infp
    Posts
    1,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    Ne thrives on breaking the norms, dismantling the expected and rebuilding and reconnecting it in new surprising ways. Insanity also has aspects of breaking norms, strange connections and surprises. So to an untrained eye they can look very similar.
    Funny you say this, I was just thinking about how the only way I really enjoy alot of schoolwork is if I take it and turn it into something else. I was thinking that I should start studying by turning my class notes into song lyrics of song kind that I can memorize to familiarize myself with stuff. This would work better in some classes than others. In the past I've done projects in odd ways that had great results, and as a result I think I'm more enthusiastic if I flip the switch on everyone

    If that is insane, I'm fuckin' nuts!

  10. #20
    Senior Member tovlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    248

    Default

    I'm glad the observations seemed to resonate!

    Quote Originally Posted by GZA
    Which raises another question, why, and especially for types who don't have strong Ne, does Ne seem so insane?!
    I imagine it must feel very frustrating for the INFP to have their thought process judged and limited by other's limitations.

    Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    Ne thrives on breaking the norms, dismantling the expected and rebuilding and reconnecting it in new surprising ways. Insanity also has aspects of breaking norms, strange connections and surprises. So to an untrained eye they can look very similar.
    I agree with this.

    My sense is that many (maybe even most) people rely on norms and the expected to keep a sense of psychological balance. If they personally experience a disruption to this sense of security with discomfort or even fear, then maybe that's why they'd project that experience out on to others and label anyone else's engagement in those thought processes as psychologically unstable--because it would feel so to them. It seems to me that INFPs are much less likely than many to rely on norms and the expected for a sense of psychological balance. They seem to have a fluidity of thought that reaches beyond artificial limitations, and desires to push others out beyond the pretense of those boundaries as well. Being challenged to venture beyond thought processes that feel safe could certainly be quite scary for many people.
    "We don't see things as they are,
    we see things as we are."
    ...Anais Nin

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFP] How to spot an ENFP a mile off
    By LostInNerSpace in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 198
    Last Post: 08-27-2017, 05:23 PM
  2. [ENFJ] How to spot an ENFJ a mile off
    By LostInNerSpace in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 175
    Last Post: 08-10-2017, 12:26 AM
  3. [INFP] What is the best way to tell an INFP you love them?
    By demaugustus in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 05-05-2016, 03:20 PM
  4. [INFP] How To Get An INFP To Sleep With You
    By *poke* in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 02-07-2011, 11:00 AM
  5. [MBTItm] How to spot an ESFJ? Or is it ESTJ? Or is it E___?
    By CzeCze in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-12-2007, 09:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO