User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

My thoughts are that he's pretty into you. A shy expression of "I like you a lot" to express a deeply held desire is the type of thing I might have done, if given the opportunity. The fact that I'd try to contain such deep emotions in words that don't really say anything at all is also the type of foolishness I'd think of doing, too. Heh.

As far as his smugness, that might have just been satisfaction in having his suspicions (and possibly wishes) of your feelings confirmed. You may have confused satisfaction in seeing you squirm simply with satisfaction that you liked him romantically.

I don't like how he looked away when he told you that he liked you a lot. It either means he's lying (although based on the greater context, that seems less likely) or that he was unable to be present and connect with you as he was expressing his emotions. By not looking you in the eye, he was able to remain in his head.

Honestly, what to do next depends on what you need and want. If you are happy trying to solve the "what does he feel" mystery, then by all means continue on. However, if you are done with the game playing and are ready for something real, I think you've earned the right to call him out. As I see it you've showed him yours, and now it's his turn to show you his.

If you want to tailor suit your approach to compensate for INFP Fi shyness, then by all means, ask him if he shares your feelings, and then give him a bit of time to reply.

Enneagram
    CFV

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    My feeling is that he's testing where you are at about your relationship and the smiles are more directed at how much more nervous about it he is than what you look like - less sadistic and more self depreciating.
    Yah, I agree with this. I only know one INFP well, and he is least likely out of all the people I know to be sadistic.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by BAJ View Post
    Also, can the INFJ - INFP relationship thing work? I mean I imagine it can, but I just don't have any experience myself, so I'm curious.
    It can... At least I'm hoping so. I've been with my INFP for almost 3 years now and we're trying to survive a seemingly-unending long-distance at the moment. You need lots of adjusting and acceptance on both sides, but we've worked through quite a lot of issues already. If we were in a more favorable real-life situation right now the relationship would be absolute bliss
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    My thoughts are that he's pretty into you. A shy expression of "I like you a lot" to express a deeply held desire is the type of thing I might have done, if given the opportunity. The fact that I'd try to contain such deep emotions in words that don't really say anything at all is also the type of foolishness I'd think of doing, too. Heh.
    This is what I would do too. I think I've made an art of it In one instance I told someone I had deep feelings for that we had always been friends and then expected he would read between the lines when I elaborated on the things we had shared.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

For me.. this is a 'safe phrase'.. Saying "I love you." is something heavy, and implies a lot.. I like you a lot is more loose, and fluid.

There is no mistaking an "I love you."
    "I like you a lot" .. can be followed with ".. but not like that." or "and I'd like to see where this is going".. It's just a safer phrase. Easier for people to go back too.. and say "Yeah, I said I LIKE you, but that didn't mean x!"

It's easy, and safe.. but not efficient at getting across exact, confirmed things.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

If you watch enough Japanese language shows, you know this means pretty damned close to "I love you".

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

What a strange thread. What else could it mean besides what it says?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    What a strange thread. What else could it mean besides what it says?
    Sure, it could fractionally mean bits of some other, additional weirder things, but you wouldn't say it unless what it was in itself was the emotional majority of what you wanted to say.

MBTI
    INFP

If any resemblance INFP-INFP helps:

I would never use that phrase with a guy that I'm not attracted to. I would be too scared of confusing and leading him on (emotional gore).

On the other hand with the guy I'm attracted to... yes (hoping that he will see what the phrase means).

And when I do the smug in a situation like that inside I am like:

OMG, OMG, SHIT, SHIT, SHIT, oxygen, oxygen, aaaaaa, breathe, where is the damned water (a pleasant emotional overload).

OR: really, do you see it like that, I'm freaking disappointed but i'm going to keep my face straight (handling a blow).

SMUG usually means a revelation with huge emotional impact. Whether the impact is positive or negative can be recognized by emotions accompanying the smug: wild happiness, little sweet awkwardness, sadness, anger...

And did he add "But..." after the phrase?
    Hot-hearted head