User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Default Could an INFJ be confused with an ISTP?

Just food for thought here. I'm curious.
    "Others should not judge what you truly are, instead you should find yourself. You may find yourself in a bowl of cereal or dreaming of the unknown, but make sure it is you who finds you." - Myself

ENTP
    Extroverted (E) 56.76% Introverted (I) 43.24%
    Intuitive (N) 64.29% Sensing (S) 35.71%
    Thinking (T) 62.5% Feeling (F) 37.5%
    Perceiving (P) 75% Judging (J) 25%

9w8 SP/SX
    Neutral

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

perhaps, especially if the INFJ's Ti was particularly strong, and possibly also if the INFJ had a less NF-y enneatype, like 5 or 6. i think the two keys in that situation would be to figure out whether the person is a primary iNtuitor or Thinker, and/or whether they prefer iNtuition or Sensing more. how much they relate with Se would probably be useful, being that is INFJ's last function.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

both use same functions, but in different order, not to mention that both are introverts, so why not? but the INFJ would need to hide his Fe and developed some Ti.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    perhaps, especially if the INFJ's Ti was particularly strong, and possibly also if the INFJ had a less NF-y enneatype, like 5 or 6. i think the two keys in that situation would be to figure out whether the person is a primary iNtuitor or Thinker, and/or whether they prefer iNtuition or Sensing more. how much they relate with Se would probably be useful, being that is INFJ's last function.
    I've always been a little "lost" when it comes to my own personality, because I feel like I'm the only person who would truly know. Then I figure that people who talk to me might also know. I think most of the time I get terrible opinions from people.
    "Others should not judge what you truly are, instead you should find yourself. You may find yourself in a bowl of cereal or dreaming of the unknown, but make sure it is you who finds you." - Myself

ENTP

9w8 SP/SX
    Neutral

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
    Just food for thought here. I'm curious.
    Funny thread -- because I have just that issue with my best friend here at work.

I can't place her type, and the closest I get is either ISTP or INFJ. It's the Ni+Ti thing, and I'm not quite sure which dominates.

She grew up in ghetto and keeps her social circle small and prefers to avoid Fe style interactions even if she remains aware of them and how a situation will unfold. Her biggest battles at work are with her ESFJ supervisor (who is gushingly Fe and rather lacking on a T perspective). She's into sports, even blogs about them, on a level that usually ISTP tomboys are into compared to other types.

Yet she's not really a "detached" person (as ISTPs typically are) and she's got more of an organizational sense of an INFJ -- likes to keep her environment controlled and very "clean" and is even picky about it. She has very sharp intuitive judgments, where she just automatically will read a situation a certain way and have a big grasp of everything going into it. Her rational spirituality is pretty sound, as well as how she approaches personal growth. And she tends to struggle with our highly technical work the way I've found that F's can struggle rather than T's -- she has to work the issue with diligence and willpower, unless she finally understand things, versus the way T's usually settle right into requirements analysis as a natural way to think.

The INFJ women who have good Ti perspective I've met online tend to take the more detached/robotic approach of an INTP when discussing a topic -- it reads an abstracted clinical breakdown/analysis of the situation. My friend is not like that -- she's very engaged on a low level and I think has a hard time not personalizing something even if she also typically keeps herself independent and can delineate well. She just doesn't take that "step back to get some distance" perspective. She said she found the movie Crash fascinating because of how things pinged off other things, and she is very good at foreseeing things like that.

She is just a really interesting mix of values, organized expression, sound reasoning, etc.

I'm inclined to go with INFJ (because she is passionate about things externally, rather than detached as T's tend to become)... but a very unique one... yet I'm just not sure.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

I'm really a non-entity when it comes to typing, but I'm curious about something, which is why I'm throwing it into the mix:

Isn't the driving motivation and perspective of an NF and an SP supposed to be fundamentally different? So while I see the two resembling each other superficially, wouldn't their inner cores be extremely different? It is hard to perceive that, though, so I can see someone confusing an INFJ for an ISTP, especially if they don't know each other very well.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I think the basic motivations and behaviour patterns of INFJs, specially the Enneagram type 5 ones, are closer from INTJs and INTPs than ISTPs, but i guess it's possible.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INFJ

I've been confused with being ISTP before. During those times I had to take a very detached approach to everything and very, very aloof, Thinker-ish of sorts.

But Little Linguist is right, our cores are different. I was confused why would anyone would compare me to an ISTP acquaintance. Then again, I'm good at mirror-ing.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Well I've just had certain occurrences where I don't feel like an ISTP. Mostly being detached from everything. I'm a very approachable person and was always having random heart to hearts with people when I worked at a grocery store. There were times where I would just randomly ask people about their scars. I could tell peoples feelings and if they weren't feeling great that day. I could make friends with just about anyone. If I cleaned something I might get a little obsessive over it.

ENTP

9w8 SP/SX
    Neutral

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

You could just be a more mature ISTP. Some people never really develop their entire personality. Fe may be low for an ISTP, but it's still present. I, as an INTJ, can still recognize when I'm using Se. I guess a good question for you would be, do you prefer to interact with people or things? Speaking for myself, I prefer to interact with things, but I still like people and enjoy spending time with them, especially if it's somebody important to me who I really care about. T types still feel and F types still think, but what you find yourself going to more naturally and more often is what you want to pay attention to.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window