User Tag List

12 Last

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Default xNxJs and being right all the time

I'm particularly interested in all of INFJ/INTJ/ENFJ/ENTJ input on this (and "outside" type perspectives too) but thought I'd get the best response in this part of the forum.

It does seem to be a common NJ disease to think that we're right all the time. In essence I'd say that INTJs and ENTJs tend to think their intellectual superiority makes them right all the time (well, either that, or they express themselves with a self-confidence which reinforces that impression.) INFJs and ENFJs think that Ni gives them a superpower meaning that they're never wrong about anyone's character. Certainly from looking online - partly this forum, and partly elsewhere - there are many INTJs who seem to think that by default they're the superior/most intelligent type, and many INFJs who say things like "I am always 100% right about people, their character and their motivations."

Questions:

Do most of us actually fulfill these stereotypes, or is it just a few random souls?

Is it more that we know within ourselves that we're not always right, but we have a very hard time admitting it?

Is it more just a J thing? SJs certainly get accused of thinking they're right all the time, though in my experience that's not exceptionally true (in some cases yes, but I'd probably be inclined to generalize more about NJs in that regard than SJs.)

Am I way off the mark?

General thoughts?
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

It's a J thing. It's especially pronounced in IxxJs, because the extraverted judging function acts in a parental role. In ExxJs, it's more like when they're sure that they're right, it's better to just sit back and listen, because they're just trying to help, and they usually are right in some sense.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    It's a J thing. It's especially pronounced in IxxJs, because the extraverted judging function acts in a parental role. In ExxJs, it's more like when they're sure that they're right, it's better to just sit back and listen, because they're just trying to help, and they usually are right in some sense.
    So, would you say it's mainly a J thing but it takes different forms in different types based on dominant function, etc?

I guess I had the idea for the thread partly because there seem to be a fair number of INFJs who almost literally believe that Ni gives them magical powers which mean they're never wrong about anyone. I can fall into the "always right" trap too sometimes - though I try to watch for it - but one of the traps I've managed to avoid falling into is thinking that Ni is a superpower.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    So, would you say it's mainly a J thing but it takes different forms in different types based on dominant function, etc?

I guess I had the idea for the thread partly because there seem to be a fair number of INFJs who almost literally believe that Ni gives them magical powers which mean they're never wrong about anyone. I can fall into the "always right" trap too sometimes - though I try to watch for it - but one of the traps I've managed to avoid falling into is thinking that Ni is a superpower.
    Yes, I would say that. Functions work together, after all, and take up different roles based on preference.

I never really saw that in my friend who is an INFJ. He's very open about his uncertainty toward some interpersonal things, but he's not very verbal about it. It's nice to get advice from him, too, because he's usually right about interpersonal things, and he's very diplomatic in how he broaches the subject. By that, I mean he instinctively gets when to time a comment to maximize its effect while minimizing its impact. It's impressive, for sure.

If you go via Beebe's eight-function model, there's somewhat of an explanation of that "always right" trap. If you're in an oppositional mode, you'll start with oppositional Ne, which will lead you to negatively extrapolate any bit of useful information. Then, if this is challenged, you'd move to your Witch Fi. This function operating within this archetype essentially leads you to believe that "I'm right, because I feel like I'm right, and if you disagree with me, you're wrong." So you'll take an obstinate stand through that Witch Fi, and use oppositional Ne to justify that stand, even though Ni would recognize those arguments as ultimately irrelevant, and Fe would disapprove of the social damage that results.

Banned

Should the question be 'Why do xNxJs SOUND like they THINK they are right all the time'?

Short Answer: Parental Je and it's not exclusively an xNxJ trait.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post

You mean like the Knights who say Ni?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I think the J's need of consistency makes it harder for them to accept concepts that clash with the ones they currently have.
    While Si strives for consistency within their sensory database, Ni does the same with their perceived patterns database.
    Ime, both Si and Ni can make them more vulnerable to rationalization when they are wrong.
    In psychology and logic, rationalization (or making excuses) is a defense mechanism in which perceived controversial behaviors or feelings are explained in a rational or logical manner to avoid the true explanation. It often involves ad hoc hypothesizing. This process ranges from fully conscious (e.g. to present an external defense against ridicule from others) to mostly subconscious (e.g. to create a block against internal feelings of guilt).
    People rationalize for various reasons. Often it is to differentiate from the original deterministic explanation, of the behavior or feeling in question. Sometimes this occurs when we think we know ourselves better than we do. It is also an informal fallacy of reasoning.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

IDK. I score high on Ni…to the point where I will sometimes test as INFJ (I am very much an ENFP though). But I consistently come out Ne>Ni>Fi or Ni>Ne>Fi and I definitely have issues with ‘magical powers thinking’…especially with regards to people. And while I understand what onemoretime is saying…I honestly do not feel this is due to ‘oppositional Ne’ or ‘witch Fi’ (and I only have Jness in my dreams)…but rather Ni.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by StarryKnights View Post
    IDK. I score high on Ni…to the point where I will sometimes test as INFJ (I am very much an ENFP though). But I consistently come out Ne>Ni>Fi or Ni>Ne>Fi and I definitely have issues with ‘magical powers thinking’…especially with regards to people. And while I understand what onemoretime is saying…I honestly do not feel this is due to ‘oppositional Ne’ or ‘witch Fi’ (and I only have Jness in my dreams)…but rather Ni.

When you say you have "issues" with "magical powers thinking", do you mean that you do tend to find yourself thinking that you are always right about people and their motivations?

Thing is, I'm sure that Ni does give many INFJs a good read on people and their motivations. In my case I think sometimes I should give myself MORE credit for my insight, not less. (Perhaps this has partly to do with Fe being particularly useful in my life, and being a relatively "ISFJ" kind of INFJ - in contrast to a lot of INFJs who are more "INTJ"-type INFJs.)

Also, I am almost sure I'm a type 6 enneagram, and due to the whole uncertain/anxious/questioning thing, I think I'm less likely to be that confident in what my Ni is telling me.

But the fact is...whenever I have met someone in person who says "I'm always right about people", they're seriously lacking in self-awareness, they seem insecure, and their comments about others makes me think they're more often than not way off the mark!

The ones who DO tend to be mostly right about others admit that they're sometimes/often wrong, and are fairly low-key and self-deprecating about the whole thing.

I don't know anything about Beebe's eight-function model, guess I should look that up...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i make fun of an ENFJ friend allll the time for his "always rightness".

two thoughts:
    1. NJs are careful foreplanners. you guys look down the line at probabilities more than at possibilities.
    2. NJs tend not to speak about things they are unsure of
    =
    usually "right"