• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFPs Who Relate Somewhat to the Keirsey Artisan (SP) Description

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
So I recently decided to actually read Please Understand Me II and I found that Keirsey's work, as a whole, makes more sense in the context of the actual book rather than the shitty on-line summaries and interpretations.

However, I found his division of the temperaments far too extreme, he made NFs all sound like a bunch of social workers nervously avoiding confrontation, and while I relate to the NF Idealist temperament more than the other three, SP Artisan was a surprisingly close second...I mean really close...I related more to their need for audacity, valuing of generosity, and other things.

The reason why I find this annoying is because Keirsey acts like the NF Idealist temperament opposes the SP Artisan temperament, and that they're more like NTs and SJs. In my individual case, that's the furthest from the truth...I'm much more like an SP than NT or SJ.

I posted this on another forum as well, but I wanted to also read responses here, because while Keirsey has some decent basic ideas, his theory seems wildly flawed to me because he makes the temperaments so extremely divided that they're caricatures...and while some people might be *very* NF or *very* SJ, I'm suspecting that most people might be more of a blend of at least two of the four temperaments.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I think ENFPs are the most SP-ish of the NFs... Ne can be crazily similar to Se in that regard, or so I hear.

Jack Falt also has proposed temperament "blends", with SP/NF being the Sunburst.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i feel like i'm more fp then nj as far as being pretty chill and all that. i think i relate more to the isfp fi then the "n" ness i guess of inxj...not sure if that's what you are saying and i feel pretty n but i feel even more p...actually i relate more to xntps than xnxj

does that make any sense? i'm sooo tired for some reason.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
i feel like i'm more fp then nj as far as being pretty chill and all that. i think i relate more to the isfp fi then the "n" ness i guess of inxj...not sure if that's what you are saying and i feel pretty n but i feel even more p...actually i relate more to xntps than xnxj

does that make any sense? i'm sooo tired for some reason.

Yes, I feel closer to being xSFP than xNFJ, but I didn't realize how much so until I read Please Understand Me II.

It's less about being borderline S/N in the four dichotomies and more about the four seperate temperaments.

SPs are actually painted as being more assertive and reactive, in fact an NF it seems would be more "chill." I am just totally unscheduled and resist structure, which is why I am hardly J at all. I mean seriously, when I really read Keirsey's definition of Judging I was like "whoa that's not me at all." I'm like a floaty, slacker, barefoot, procrastinating, changeable, adaptable, sometimes unpredictable person.

Having strong opinions doesn't make someone a J, in fact a lot of my personality traits seemed right on target with Keirsey's ENFP description, with maybe a little bit of INFP, ESFP, and ISFP here and there. I'd say those are my top four most similar types, then INFJ would be behind all of those.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think ENFPs are the most SP-ish of the NFs... Ne can be crazily similar to Se in that regard, or so I hear.

Jack Falt also has proposed temperament "blends", with SP/NF being the Sunburst.

i've never seen that. i relate a whole lot to whatever that was.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The Sunburst sounds almost exactly like me. Especially all of this:

This energy can burst forth at just the right time, but sometimes it can come at inappropriate times as well.

The combination of the desire for freedom of the Orange and the need for meaning and significance of the Blue gives them the energy to be creative, full of fantasy, with fiery feelings and a desire to experiment. They need to relate to the people they work with or for. They find a lot of personal satisfaction in their encounters even if they are only momentary. They have a lot of physical energy and need to keep on the move, but they do it with sensitivity.

A key emotion for Sunbursts is love. Their love is expressed in all their relationships — clients, coworkers, friends, family, and particularly in their most intimate relationships. Their sexuality is an expression of this love. They express their love with nthusiasm.

Everyone needs some down time, and if they do not take a break now and then, they can become depressed. Taking some “me” time usually brings them back to their old bubbly self.

Not all of their feelings are bright and sunny. They have negative feelings too, and these tend to be very strong. They can get angriest at the ones they love the most. A cooling off time is very beneficial. Often the anger is based on a misunderstanding. Being able to examine the problem objectively can often bring resolution. Making up can be just as passionate.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I just had someone else take the color temperament quiz and he came out SJ/NF (types normally as SJ).

I have a feeling that this is probably highly common, I really do, because some NFs seem almost NT-ish to me, blah blah blah.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I just had someone else take the color temperament quiz and he came out SJ/NF (types normally as SJ).

I have a feeling that this is probably highly common, I really do, because some NFs seem almost NT-ish to me, blah blah blah.

IMHO, ENFJs are the most SJ-ish of the NFs, while INFJs are the most NT-ish. That's my pet theory, anyway...

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

what are you talking about? what quiz? did the sunburst thing have a quiz?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
IMHO, ENFJs are the most SJ-ish of the NFs, while INFJs are the most NT-ish. That's my pet theory, anyway...

yeah totally..

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
However, I found his division of the temperaments far too extreme, he made NFs all sound like a bunch of social workers nervously avoiding confrontation, and while I relate to the NF Idealist temperament more than the other three, SP Artisan was a surprisingly close second...I mean really close...I related more to their need for audacity, valuing of generosity, and other things.

The reason why I find this annoying is because Keirsey acts like the NF Idealist temperament opposes the SP Artisan temperament, and that they're more like NTs and SJs. In my individual case, that's the furthest from the truth...I'm much more like an SP than NT or SJ.

This is why 16 types are better than 4 :p

But really, yeah.... something isn't quite working here. Us ENxPs are bound to be kind of like an SP-hybrid.

I took this and I am 66 green, 63 orange, 53 blue, and 27 gold. Considering that this is based off of Please Understand Me II, I'm a little surprised how close I am to SP. But then I saw the description for the Orange-Green blend http://users.trytel.com/~jfalt/colours/firecracker.html and it seems rather ENTPish to me... So maybe the temperaments can match up to types in blends rather than boxes, with ENFPs really being of the type NF/SP....

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
This is why 16 types are better than 4 :p
But really, yeah.... something isn't quite working here. Us ENxPs are bound to be kind of like an SP-hybrid.

I took this and I am 66 green, 63 orange, 53 blue, and 27 gold. Considering that this is based off of Please Understand Me II, I'm a little surprised how close I am to SP. But then I saw the description for the Orange-Green blend http://users.trytel.com/~jfalt/colours/firecracker.html and it seems rather ENTPish to me... So maybe the temperaments can match up to types in blends rather than boxes, with ENFPs really being of the type NF/SP....

Makes sense, though apparently these hybrids: Sunburst, Firecracker, Homebuilder, etc. can be either Extraverted or Introverted.

I do think it makes sense, though, for ENxPs to be more SP-ish. I really have the fixation on freedom, too. I'm physically restless, like I hate sitting behind a desk, even doing work on a computer at home I'm always hopping up and walking around and going outside and doing things and getting destracted. I've actually considered the possibility that I actually need a job in a restaurant or bakery, or something that does involve more movement. I was joking with my roommate the other day that I need to waitress again because I hop up and walk around so much. She works from home, too, but is much better at sitting still.

I LOVE BEING FREE THOUGH. Free to procrastinate and hop up and walk around and go outside, lol...I'm like a big child. It seems more natural to me, though.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm going to try this color infused blended quiz thingy and report back. My suspicion is I'll be a combo of NF and NT but anything is possible. Maybe I'll combine them all and basically be like the god or devil of temperaments. Will I be white or black? Am I blending pigment or light here?

Off to take quizzy....

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
How strange.. I got..
59 Blue
52 Orange
51 Green
51 Gold

But when I went through it, I would have sworn that I was answering more Green than either Gold or orange. The thing is, Green was kind of even... lots of 3s and 2s. But Gold and Orange were big extremes. I would go a few questions of 4s and then a few questions of 1s. I either really identified with each thing a lot or not at all.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Well damnit, I failed to read the instructions properly and I didn't realize that 0 was a valid answer... recalculating based on that gives...

lol....

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i think my actions are more like SPs' but my motivations are more akin to an NF or NT's.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
But yeah, there are aspects of Artisan that I do relate to. One thing that aggravated me about Keirsey's stuff is that Artisan and Idealist are presented as like polar opposites but I identify with both of them quite a bit.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have the quizzy over here now.

And yeah, freedom rocks. Go Orange Hybrids :) No more boxes!