User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

well, if the questions is why do some people not want to be INFPs, then i think that might in part be from (a) not understanding what it feels like to have an INFP's sense of prorities, and (b) hearing some INFPs speak negatively about being INFP.

though if we're talking why don't others like INFPs, honestly, it sometimes could be that some INFPs make being INFP into a Really Big Deal, which is kind of annoying. the only time i've ever really felt any animosity towards INFPs was in that one thread... like "INFP vs the world" or something. i felt like a few people were trying to argue that INFPs are more profound than all the other types. which, don't get me wrong, i know you guys are special, but so is everyone else too.

also the very strong moral sense can be a little hard to deal with sometimes. dealing with an angry stubborn INFP is like having a cute disapproving bunny one minute and a disgruntled rhino the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Hipster INFJs are like the opposite of mature. They are some of the most self-congratulatory pretentious douchebags on the planet. They're like the emo version of the INTJ who thinks he's always right and the rest of the world consists of mere plebeians.

If INFJ is the measuring stick for "maturity" then Fi in any form, unless it's mimicking Fe, will always be perceived as "immature." How gauche.
    lmao. trueee

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    To further expand Scott's point about coolness and societal value of skills, how do you define a person who is a "successful" INFP? Who are the role models and did they succeed because of their INFPness or because they conformed to the norm despite their INFPness?
    i would think a successful INFP is a happy INFP

princess diana is a successful INFP, i think. her success in terms of fame and status was largely a stroke of luck, but her success as a human being was very much because of her INFPness.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    The trick is mentally tell all of those messages being sent to you to "Fuck off". Define your own cool. Avoid being subject to other constructs of what you are or are not supposed to be (as much as possible at least).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3

I would have liked whatever type I ended up being. When I first took the test, I tested as an INFJ, and I was super happy. I didn't even know what that meant at the time. A year or so later I took the test and got INFP, and that's what i've tested as since. I like my type. I think people who don't like their type, are people who don't like who they are as a person. I guess not all people who don't like their type would fall under that, but I bet a lot of them would.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    You can't be free to be INFP unless you have built a life by suppressing those INFP tendencies
    I love this nugget of understanding. Spot the fuck on William.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

also the very strong moral sense can be a little hard to deal with sometimes. dealing with an angry stubborn INFP is like having a cute disapproving bunny one minute and a disgruntled rhino the next.
    We can't be a cute bunny all the time. I like the sharp contrast; it keeps people on their toes. I am pretty sure that's one of the best things about us though, really laid-back and silly one minute but rigorous and firm the next. I am sure my "moral senses" can be annoying, but it's a huge part of us. We usually explode for a bit and get over it, move on to something else and become silly again.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    Spot the fuck on
    Is this like Where's Waldo?

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    I love this nugget of understanding. Spot the fuck on William.

I guess that's one way of going about it. I'd rather indulge in not suppressing.. Suppression is the equivalent of telling me I can only be Fi if I give in to Te ( i.e. reneging on introversion for the sake of someone else's extroverted demand). I'm not interested in giving others power so "I can be more like myself". Maybe it makes sense for some people, but it doesn't to me.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post

the only time i've ever really felt any animosity towards INFPs was in that one thread... like "INFP vs the world" or something. i felt like a few people were trying to argue that INFPs are more profound than all the other types. which, don't get me wrong, i know you guys are special, but so is everyone else too.
    I wholeheartedly agree. After attending a few INFP-only meetups and being in a room with typically 4+ INFPs, I have experienced first hand some negative stereotypes that have arisen from certain INFP individuals. One of the INFP's declared that *we* are only 3% of the population (I knew exactly where this was going), I then asked him if that is so, where is the tangent proof that we are of this rare percentage, and how should information be extrapolated to divide what is unique and what is common? Despite your type, we are all special in our very own way. Not one life in the populace of billions can be replicated to share the same experience.

His response was something in the lines of "we are special in our own special uniqueness, and that qualifies as something different from the rest of society". I had to end the discussion there, it was going no where. I figured if you are one to project your insecurities, it would be to do something special, rather than alone say it.
    “If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.” -anonymous

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    i would think a successful INFP is a happy INFP
    Does a content INFP who is sometimes happy and sometimes not so happy count?
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Actually I think you'll find it's almost exclusively the male INFPs who dislike (or profess to disliking) being INFP. Figuring out why that should be so isn't too hard.
    I've only met two male INFP in my life. Both of them were scary smart. One was married and doing a Phd in chemistry. He was extremely thoughful, and worth listening to when he spoke. Very respected, but a little absurd. He was cool. He would have been a good role model.

The other one was so sensitive, he couldn't function in day to day society. He was very lovely and sweet but honestly, his parents needed to push him out the door, and encourage him to do some thing with his life. He was 29 at the time. He did write though. He had a very philisophical out look on life.

Having known such extreme examples of INFP males, I still don't know what to make of Y'all.
    But I've said in other threads, I perhaps get away with a lot more squidegy stuff than an INFP male would. I can guess that being sensitive would do you no favours in the male world, but if my examples are anything to go by, when you guys speak up, it worth listening too. You make people think, even if it's just for a moment. I'd love a smidgen of that respect.
    And, honestly, I don't why girls wouldn't want to go out with INFP guy? Every girl should want one! (if the married guy was any thing to go by, he just seemed very caring and intimate with his wife. It was very subtle, but nice.)
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]