User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ayoitsStepho View Post
    Meh, probably because INFPs tend to kinda smell like beef jerky.
    Ahemmmm! Some of us are vegetarian!

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    Actually I should make this a poll for when the peeps start returning, once I get some answers. (if I remember )
    When I first found out I was an INFP, I was excited and thought it was coolest type out, then I found out that nobody else thought that way.
    What's so terrible/shaming about being INFP?
    This may be the idealist in me talking, or maybe my vanity, but what is so terrible about dreamy compassionate people who keep to themselves, unless they feel compelled to do good works?
    Actually I think you'll find it's almost exclusively the male INFPs who dislike (or profess to disliking) being INFP. Figuring out why that should be so isn't too hard.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think there can probably be a lot of reasons, but for me two main categories come to mind. One is that other types are basically "cooler" I guess, and the other lies in that most of best strengths generally have little outlet or generally accepted societal value.

"Cool" is very subjective, but like for me I remember being a teenager in high school and an INTJ friend was gung-ho about joining the Marines and being tough and such. Its generally easier for an outside person, and by extrapolation "society in general" to see the value of such a decision, and what it involves. "Yes, service to your country, make something of yourself, be all you can be, tough as nails, etc." When I said something like "I want to be a martial arts master" or "I want to be a buddhist monk", well *some* people thought that was extremely interesting, some people thought it was very odd, but there really isn't too much about those that one can point to and say "society generally recognizes this value as being contributed by such a decision." ALso, I remember my friend showing me a pic of a young marine doing guard duty in Haiti carrying his gun, and the marine guard just seemed so competent and in the moment and dangerous and tough and competent that I couldn't do anything but be impressed. While I'm personally impressed by the qualities that I see when I look at pictures of buddhist monks, indian swamis, etc, other than maybe "they look so peaceful!" I don't think most people can really point to values they see that are admirable/desired. Put differently Rambo is "cool" and awesome and people wanna be like him, most people don't aspire to sitting in a garden reading religious philosophy! And lest anyone think I'm stereotyping and being mean, rest assured that *this* INFP has spent much time outdoors gardens or otherwise] reading philosophy!

The second major category in my mind is the general lack of "societal place/value" for our strongest skills. Sure being a great friend is a great thing, but how are you going to "sell" that, or "socially package/express" that, or use it to contribute to some companies bottom line??? Your personal life might be really great, and many people may really like and respect you, but professionally and "in societies eyes" I think its much harder to find outlets or expressions for that. For example, our computer programmer INFP's get paid to [I assume] do computer programming, not to motivationally inspire their coworkers. Personally, I get paid to run research machines, not to "express my feelings." I'm sure that non-T non-NT non-TJ workplaces are more "personable" and "interactive", but these general factors still apply there too I'm sure. Make no bones about it, business is a TJ [arguably ESTJ] environment, and virtually every job out there is, in some way shape or form, "business."

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    Ahemmmm! Some of us are vegetarian!
    Oh I'm sorry, veggie jerky! Which doesn't smell much better in all honesty.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I still haven't quite figured out why people want to be INFJs
    I don't understand why people want to be any particular type. It seems ridiculous to desire to be a certain one. WTF?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

To further expand Scott's point about coolness and societal value of skills, how do you define a person who is a "successful" INFP? Who are the role models and did they succeed because of their INFPness or because they conformed to the norm despite their INFPness?

One issue especially with the e4 INFPs is that we tend to want to live life according to our own terms, and doing that is much easier in the latter stages of life when we already have some stability in terms of a career and family. So it's sort of a chicken and egg problem. You can't be free to be INFP unless you have built a life by suppressing those INFP tendencies. Before I get jumped on, I'm not saying that INFPs have it harder than any other types. Just different challenges that society as a whole tend to misunderstand.

Also, what seems like whining and self-hating in a forum like this can actually be an INFP's way of just expressing himself/herself given the anonymity of the Internet.
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by stalemate View Post
    I don't understand why people want to be any particular type. It seems ridiculous to desire to be a certain one. WTF?
    I can understand a little envy of specific people. "Grass is greener", etc.. Maybe some are projecting that on to entire types. Which is an error, but that's probably just their experience of a type. Personally, I've met miserable people of all shapes and sizes.....and I'm sure, types as well.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Maybe some are projecting that on to entire types. Which is an error, but that's probably just their experience of a type.
    Or their bias and projection is making them believe they have had experiences with people of a certain type when, in reality, they are typing people based on these experiences.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think that Johnny Depp has done much for the general image of INFP's, not to say that most people know he is one or what an INFP is, but lets face it, there's only one Johnny Depp and he's pretty individual, however Donald Trump is easy to look at and go "Power! Money! Success! and he gets to say 'your fired!!!' ha ha ha I want to tell people "your fired"! And have money and power and success!!! And hot women and sports cars! Business world here I come!!!" What identifiable relatable traits to INFP's have that young children look at and want to replicate? Are INFP's overrepresented amongst astronauts, lawyers, doctors etc? Athletes or actors/actresses? People with lots of money? Navy SEALS or Marine scout snipers? How many INFP role models are really out there in the public eye and well known anyways??? [Johnny Depp, Jackie O, Princess Diana, maybe Mother Teresa?, yeah 4 is all I can really come up but maybe others can expand the list]. How many kids grow up wanting to be Rambo? A lot right? How many kids grow up wanting to be "happy healthy 'in touch with themselves' adults"? Of the latter group, how many will maintain that as the realities of work home and family change their lives?

I think its sort of like people that want to grow up to be "spiritual healers", yeah sure there are some of them out there, but not very darn many, you don't here about them very much, and its not particularly publicly well known. But Rambo, well Rambo [Navy SEALS, race car drivers, fireman, etc] are well known, and lots more people aspire to growing up and doing something like that.

Well, in Socionics, the first Astronaut (Cosmonaut) is apparently INFp

That's beside the point though.. You seem to want to judge coolness by some standards that aren't your own (at least, you're doing it for the sake of argument). The trick is mentally tell all of those messages being sent to you to "Fuck off". Define your own cool. Avoid being subject to other constructs of what you are or are not supposed to be (as much as possible at least).