Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    Apart from the INFJs being statistically the rarest type (unique factor) they have that particular stereotype of being the wise old lady or man that knows how to deal with almost everything emotionally as well as efficiently in the mature fashion. I suppose many believe the INFJ moves towards that persona and so they want to be it themselves.
    I really don't like INFJ being equated with maturity. It's one of the things I find annoying about INFJ - like "oh Fe is so mature." No, no ...mature Fe is mature. INFJs do have a gift of counseling others, yes, but there are also Fi, Se, Te, Si, Ti, Ne ways of being "mature."

Hipster INFJs are like the opposite of mature. They are some of the most self-congratulatory pretentious douchebags on the planet. They're like the emo version of the INTJ who thinks he's always right and the rest of the world consists of mere plebeians.

If INFJ is the measuring stick for "maturity" then Fi in any form, unless it's mimicking Fe, will always be perceived as "immature." How gauche.

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Because it's fucking depressing, that's why. This was Queen Kat for Obvious Channel News, back to the studio.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I really don't like INFJ being equated with maturity. It's one of the things I find annoying about INFJ - like "oh Fe is so mature." No, no ...mature Fe is mature. INFJs do have a gift of counseling others, yes, but there are also Fi, Se, Te, Si, Ti, Ne ways of being "mature."

Hipster INFJs are like the opposite of mature. They are some of the most self-congratulatory pretentious douchebags on the planet. They're like the emo version of the INTJ who thinks he's always right and the rest of the world consists of mere plebians.

If INFJ is the measuring stick for "maturity" then Fi in any form, unless it's mimicking Fe, will always be perceived as "immature." How gauche.
    Oh yes. I agree. Within each type there tends to be different implementations of each of the functions towards the outer and inner worlds. This is why stereotypes are useless in trying to define a certain mbti type. Of course it's what always clouds the perceptions of others who like to place themselves within a particular view of each particular type and that creates the ignorance of not understanding what a type really is about.
    I would think INFJs tend to have the fewest stereotypes of all the types and rarely any negative ones in difference to all the other types. I suppose it's best to show them in the truest light by showing how Fe works for them after the Ni perceptions and why it may not always give them the best wisdom.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post

Hipster INFJs are like the opposite of mature. They are some of the most self-congratulatory pretentious douchebags on the planet. They're like the emo version of the INTJ who thinks he's always right and the rest of the world consists of mere plebeians.

Although this topic is getting derailed - at least it is due in good fun. I concur on your comments. There's nothing mature about being too certain to the extent of negating all opposing opinions. Only if it were true that being wise equated with being vague and complicated, which somehow translates to being enlightened. If it were unquestioned that wisdom is sought through one-way tunnels and shallow hills. A more *mature INFJ* would see otherwise.
    “If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.” -anonymous

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

I've never noticed people having problems with INFP's IRL, so I don't understand where this stereo type comes from. Maybe for people just looking at the theory description, not applying it to real life people, they would see the INFP as being too sensitive, emo-ish, critical of anything outside of their value system, and too 'pie in the sky' impractical. However, the INFP's I know IRL are very open-minded, accepting, and function quite well with reality. So, who knows what the deal is. Screw them for not liking INFP's. Screw them in their silly, silly face.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    IsFJ

I guess they think being INFP means forever feeling like a misfit... Or a bum. And maybe they've had experiences with pretentious or temperamental INFPs before...

Maybe some of them even envy them, because they're supposed to be so pure and ethical and peaceful and nonconformistic and stress-free and whatnot... I'm just guessing.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    I'd agree with that... and expand it out into a few reasons:

• Frustration with the gap between Fi-honed Ne possibilities and the limitations of reality.
    • A low valuation of core strengths (Fi, esp) in many venues.
    • Inability to clearly to communicate how we know something something is important (Fi reasoning being the hardest form of judging to communicate).
    • Tend to develop any form of Je late, which makes turning our idealism into practical action seem impossible.

I think the above can combine with normal teen/early-adulthood angst about life, love and career to lead to a negative evaluation of being an INFP.

When I first stumbled around the INFP description, I found it very validating. It affirmed were others out there like me, and that my way of seeing the world wasn't broken. I think others can have the opposite reaction, where it becomes a summation of everything they wish they could change about themselves.
    I think this hits the nail on the head & sums it all up.

It seems most of the INFPs who hate being INFP are teens, in the worst phase to be an INFP, IMO. It's the age when reality really hits you in the face, but you don't have the ability to take control just yet & deal with it in your own INFP way.

I first tested INFP as an adult, and I too found it a relief. As a teen, I did not identify with INFP, & I tested INTP, which was not a great fit either. That left me feeling more alienated. I wonder if this is the case with some INFPs who have yet to see themselves in type descriptions, especially as the teen years can make you less than balanced personality-wise. INFP may be the best fit of the 16, and yet, it's still too much fluffy bunny, which leaves you feeling even more misunderstood.

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    I've never noticed people having problems with INFP's IRL, so I don't understand where this stereo type comes from. Maybe for people just looking at the theory description, not applying it to real life people, they would see the INFP as being too sensitive, emo-ish, critical of anything outside of their value system, and too 'pie in the sky' impractical. However, the INFP's I know IRL are very open-minded, accepting, and function quite well with reality. So, who knows what the deal is. Screw them for not liking INFP's. Screw them in their silly, silly face.
    Some of it is also the "INFP square peg in a round ESTJ world" aspect. Our natural strengths are not valued as much as many other types. Je associated qualities seem most valued in the USA anyway. So on paper, INFPs sound like people with major flaws & frivolous strengths. I agree that people read profiles & imagine something that most INFPs aren't (often missing key points too; most seem to forget the whole value-motivating factor). The profiles are caricatures also, meaning they are not representative of a whole, balanced, complex, real person.

In reality, I am not necessarily treated as some inferior. I don't find myself being viewed as the opposite to the ideal personality, although I am still a square peg. Instead, I find people a bit perplexed about how I navigate through life, sometimes in an admiring way. It doesn't make sense to them, but it seems to work for me. At worst, I am dismissed as odd or silly.

Anyway, some INFPs pick up on the fact that their qualities are seen as inferior on paper, and it gets to their self-esteem. It becomes something of a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a "why does the world hate us" crisis. I maybe a tiny bit perturbed at the "why did god smite me" attitude I found else where, and I'm also a little guilty of using emotive language when I don't really feel that strongly. I think OA is right, being a teen INFP is hardest, but then being a teen generally sucks, no matter what type you are.
    So I'm not really internalising, in fact I'm feeling rather good about my INFP self, I was just curious about what other people thought. It's definitely easier being a INFP in your 30's.

My thoughts on the matter are;
    The type descriptions tend to make us sound more passive than we actually are. As much as the imagery of being a dreamy princess tickes me, I'm a fairly practical person in reality with some silly moments thrown in.

Yes, the communication thang. Haven't mastered it yet. It's a source of frustration for all parties. It some times still hurts to be misunderstood, and I'm not particularly stoic about showing my hurt.

The biggest thing is our sensitivity. It is frowned upon. I still have people wanting to "cure me". (if I haven't been cured by now, I think it's there to stay) For all that, I have proved time and time again, I'm much more resilent emotionally. I reset to optimistic/idealistic far quicker than most (I do wonder if this is actually a flaw of mine), but according to certain peeps I still need to harden up, even though that sensitivity is used to their advantage. Yes, certain aspects of my sensitivity are very advantageous for me. It's a double edge sword though, but I wouldn't give it up now.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My teens were hell internally, but I got by experimenting with a side of myself that was less "sensitive" or what have you. That, or I benefited from the occassional fight... which, in turn, were overly exagerrated by others, thereby giving people the impression that I wasn't worth the trouble.

In a way, adulthood is a little tougher. My ideals are more developed, but at the same time, that seperates me in more ways.

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Meh, probably because INFPs tend to kinda smell like beef jerky.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.