• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Do You Have a Strange Sense of Humor?

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hello, fellow NFs, welcome guests, and others ^.~

I'm an ENFP and I'm wondering if other xNFx have had this type of issue/experience. If any xxxx guests would like to share their thoughts, please don't be shy. I'd love to hear from anyone and everyone...

Unless you're going to be a troll. I don't even know how you could be a jerk on a thread like this, but just in case... you fall into the "others" category, btw.

So, do you have an odd sense of humor, or one most people don't understand?

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As background information:

My humor is somewhat diverse. I adore irony, sarcasm, and general wit, but I'm just as willing to laugh at immature/cute humor. I also like perverted humor, a la "That's what (s)he said", but nothing too coarse or vulgar/offensive.

I HATE toilet humor, negatively racist humor, or cruel jokes. I don't think I'm that sensitive, but I just don't find it funny.

I always thought my sense of humor was decently normal. I mean, most kids didn't get it, but I always had friend who I thought did. However, my INFJ friend and I were discussing an INTx friend's posts, and while I found his little quips hilarious, she either didn't get them or wasn't even vaguely amused. Afterwards, I began to notice that my sense of humor greatly differed from my family and other friends as well. I did meet other ENFPs online whose senses of humor seemed very similar though, which made me wonder if it had anything to do with type or temperament.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes I like a lot of word play or verbal humor and dry wit. Also, my sense of humor has always been pretty dark...I'm always watching black comedies and reading/watching mystery or horror that has comedy weaved into it.

And though I'm totally disgusted by real rape, I find rape jokes excessively entertaning.

I also think random, odd things are funny.

I'm usually pretty perceptive at picking up on subtle humor, I love British humor, I even get Russian humor (which my Russian math professor said was extraordinary, I don't know why, apparently in his experience most Americans don't realize how funny certain Russian writers are supposed to be).

On the other hand, "stupid" humor gets on my nerves and I don't find it funny at all. Like, I don't like movies like "Dumb and Dumber." Stuff like that isn't funny to me.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
yeah i agree with both of you guys.

yes: irony, cute, sarcasm, self-aware immaturity, witty perversion, darkness.
no: potty humor, cruelty, stupidity.

i like my humor "educated".

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ya I can have an extremely dark sense of humor and I've seen alot of other NF's like this to. I almost want to say its the norm for ENFP's. I wouldn't say that mine is "weird" Though occasionally I find interaction with different people hilarious and they don't get it.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I don't like cruelty in my humor. I don't find cruel acts themselves humorous.

I don't like harping relentlessly on stereotypes.. I find them boring and annoying after a while. So, people like Tosh.O don't tickle anything in me. The stereotype jokes have all been done.. and done.. and done again.. and repeated.. It's enough for me.

My favorite sort of humor is inside jokes, I think. Something you and a friend, or you and a group of friends had happen that turns into something funny. I enjoy those sort of references.

I find references funny.

Where I will differ is I do find stupid humor funny. I LOVE bad movies.. things that make you want to slap your forehead. When they happen IRL, not so much, but on movies they are funny to me. I don't mind vulgar humor here and there, but when it is a person's entire funny bone, it's time to throw it to the dogs.

Anna intuitive

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
My husband (ENFP) and I (INFP) laugh a lot at all kinds of little things. Things people say on the radio or television. It's often because there's something absurd or contradictory about what they're saying, not because they are trying to be funny. And often we seem to get the funny side of it together at the same time. We both like black humour, so does the rest of my family, who are nearly all NT.

We like puns and word humour.

He likes slapstick - farce - pies in faces, candid camera and things like that.

I hate that!

I do have a quirky sense of humour, and outside of the family, when I laugh, people sometimes look at me quite strangely.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
My usual type of humor is the spontaneous kind that can't be repeated and doesn't work with just anyone, but is in a way tailored to the person I'm talking with. The second type is the one that is based on drawing some weird connections from ordinary things. Like "Think about that commercial, if it would be like this and this.." but in a more short form.

On top of that, I find "dead baby" jokes funny.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I agree with a lot of what has been said. My sense of humour is weird in that I don't like 99.9% of comedies because I actually have a brain. :rolli: I recently got mockingly accused of being humourless because of this, which is just stupid because I'm always joking around.

In terms of TV and film comedy, I really like silliness, word play, irony etc. I must say though, in day to day life I really enjoy dry, dark humour (but not necessarily black comedies) and witty, in-joke jibes (that don't cross the boundary to becoming cruel). My ENTP friend just recently spent several days together creatively making fun of my height and abnormally sized body proportions and it was hilarious. :laugh:

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
The apparent intricacies of humour are neither complex nor simple. Humour is in the moment a facilitation, an extension of personality creating a sense of ease. Each individual is receptive of humour, interpretation between perception and value changes from experience.

Yes, I probably have a strange sense of humour.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
welcome to being Ne/Fi. it's easier for us to be funny than to not be funny. I had to work on how to make people not laugh at my comments and input before they would take me seriously

G

Glycerine

I find irony and the way in which people say things to be humorous. I find subtle things and the unintentionally absurd to be funny. Too bad, people think I am judging them when I just find them funny.

teacups&cupcakes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
abcd
I find E.T. (the movie) hilarious so yes, I guess I do have a strange sense of humour.

Kriash

Resident Apple Hoarder
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
I think I do. I have a really witty sense of humor sometimes, but then I can be extremely immature with what I find is funny. A lot of people think I'm strange. I most likely am. :)

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Word play and absurdity. Sarcasism helps too. Mix in with a little darkness.
I'm a big fan of Bill Murray.

My Sweet Stalin

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I have fairly frequent meetings with a group of people that I dislike pretty intensely and I do not try to hide it, and yet about half the time I find myself cracking jokes and laughing along with others.

I wonder if NFs laugh at a lot of the same things that SJs laugh at, but NFs laugh at them ironically.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I really do. :blush: Most of my weird jokes that get crickets involve the punchline being based on some obscure fact that bubbles up from within or relational dynamics, and...the silence is so awkward, LOL. I'm always so pleased to meet someone who clicks with my offbeat humor. :D

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have fairly frequent meetings with a group of people that I dislike pretty intensely and I do not try to hide it, and yet about half the time I find myself cracking jokes and laughing along with others.

I wonder if NFs laugh at a lot of the same things that SJs laugh at, but NFs laugh at them ironically.

I think you may be on to something there! I often find this to be true with my SJ friends... :shrug:

They'll be like :D, then I'll be like :newwink: and then they'll be like :shock:. :doh: