• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] Why does everyone hate on Fi?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Come on people. Fi is the most genuine, creative, gentle, artistic and exotic of all the functions. why the haterz gotta hate? FPs for the win! :solidarity:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
my fi says it's their right to hate on it and i don't want their love and appreciation if it's not genuinely felt...so fuck em...ha...actually i don't know what you're talking about...is someone hating on fi?

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They are just so full of themselves.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
thankyou for the honest reply, but I'm afraid you misunderstand us :yes:
Uh no, I don't. As an ENFP myself I understand perfectly what Fi is.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd say there's far more Fe hate then Fi. It's usually the TPs that have a problem with Fi though.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You'll find that all functions get hated on regularly here. It's like a natural part of function life.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Uh no, I don't. As an ENFP myself I understand perfectly what Fi is.

so then, just out of curiousity, do you consider yourself to be full of yourself?

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
so then, just out of curiousity, do you consider yourself to be full of yourself?
Not really. But for example, the way you promote Fi as the most "creative, gentle, artistic and exotic of all the functions" makes me think "full of himself". I'm also curious to hear where you've seen someone hating on Fi. Far more dislike of Fe and Si around here from what I've noticed.

EDIT: By the way I did not mean that every Fi user have his head up his own ass, just that it is probably the reason why someone would hate it.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From what I have observed, there is much more Fe bashing on this forum than the other way around. By a distance.

Anyway, Fi is a great and beautiful (and necessary) thing when used in a healthy way but can get very nasty when it is unhealthy. Sort of Fi against the rest of the world, messianic delusions and all that. Taking pride in not considering others.
But every function can get nasty, I guess.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
taking pride in not considering others...?? it really is misunderstood isn't it? i guess fe is to us much of the time also tho...that sucks.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
HAHAH.. I know where your coming from.. and ya, I've seen people hate on Fi, but I still think Fe gets the brunt of it.

Infact, all the functions can get hated on..
Ne's get hated on for being too out there
Ni's get hated on for being too narrow
Fe's get hated on for social expectations
Fi's get hated on for internal values that conflict with the hater
Te gets hated on for being Nazi's
Ti gets hated on for an inability to make the framework external
Se gets hated on for being gluttonous and barbaric
Si gets hated on for being subjective

Perhaps compromise is needed. Perhaps we can all get along in one big pool of seething hatred. ;)

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Fe gets the hate more than Fi.

The only non hated on functions around here are Ni, Ne & Ti. All others are seen as problematic, especially by others who don't make immediate use of them.
I think Ti's not discussed as much because it's not as understood.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
taking pride in not considering others...?? it really is misunderstood isn't it? i guess fe is to us much of the time also tho...that sucks.

Hah, I was exaggerating of course, but only slightly.
What I meant is going against a group for the heck of it, just to feel like a martyr for your values (even when they were never threatened!) and a rebel of sorts. Suspecting peer pressure and sheeplike group think where there is none and starting crusades over nothing.

And remember that I was explicitely referring to unhealthy Fi, not Fi in general.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Vala Faye said:
You'll find that all functions get hated on regularly here. It's like a natural part of function life.

+1

What I meant is going against a group for the heck of it, just to feel like a martyr for your values (even when they were never threatened!) and a rebel of sorts. Suspecting peer pressure and sheeplike group think where there is none and starting crusades over nothing.

And remember that I was explicitely referring to unhealthy Fi, not Fi in general.

i'm not dom Fi, so maybe i don't understand this as well or the process is a little different for me, but i think you have the pattern right - however the reasoning is a little different, at least for me personally.

it would be more like strong (healthy or unhealthy) Fi is very aware of its difference from others and its need to stand its own ground, but unhealthy Fi misinterprets that into inability to ever reconcile the self with other selves. the primary motive for going against the group isn't for the sake of being a rebel because it makes you feel good as much as it is due feeling hurt then protectively walling off of your own identity and internally cutting yourself off from others, creating the illusion that it is "you vs them". then rebelling feels good because it reinforces your self-protection, which actually just serves to perpetuate the misperception that you can heal yourself by walling your self off - even though all you're doing from an external perspective is being a whiner with your head up your ass.

my point being, i think the origin of it is less in being proud of not considering others (i think that actually goes against the whole point of Fi - at least for an ExFP, Fi is the primary means by which we connect with others... not to mention that being wholly self-absorbed is embarrassing) and more in a painful feeling of irreconcilability. i think that's pretty universally true, actually. harmful behavior is usually the result of someone being hurt inside, and that causing some sort of cognitive error which skews behavior.

here's my messed-up-Fi process, for your enjoyment:
1) i'll get internally emo and whiny and try to hide away because that's embarrassing
2) but i know that what i actually need to heal is to reconcile my ability of my self to reconnect with others, so either i'lll just ask someone to talk to me (if i'm in a particularly healthy state of mind), or if not, i'll try to lure others to pay attention to me (because i feel like they should care enough about me to pay attention that i'm hurt)
3) if i don't ask anyone and no one does pay attention i will mope alone and just ruminate in my thoughts
4) either i will get sick of ruminating and want to go get something else done, which is what usually happens, so i give up being a huge whiner and go be productive, OR i'll finally give in and ask someone if they'd mind talking with me for a while while i debrief my feelings to myself, OR i am increasingly an ass until someone notices.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

well that shit would annoy me too...going against the group for the heck of it?? wanting to be a martyr?? i don't get...and starting crusades over nothing...?? but...i don't see people doing that...
i see people thinking that's the motivation because they don't get it..it's placing value on an individuals interests and rights...not just the fi users but everyone's..and when you concern yourself with that it can lead to really good group dynamics i think.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fe is only hated on when it's not Dom or Aux, otherwise it seems very well-like to me...

Fe gets along with people better IME. People outside the Fi user get annoyed because they feel their views don't get considered... and they kind of don't...

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
+1

i'm not dom Fi, so maybe i don't understand this as well or the process is a little different for me, but i think you have the pattern right - however the reasoning is a little different, at least for me personally.

it would be more like strong (healthy or unhealthy) Fi is very aware of its difference from others and its need to stand its own ground, but unhealthy Fi misinterprets that into inability to ever reconcile the self with other selves. the primary motive for going against the group isn't for the sake of being a rebel because it makes you feel good as much as it is due feeling hurt then protectively walling off of your own identity and internally cutting yourself off from others, creating the illusion that it is "you vs them". then rebelling feels good because it reinforces your self-protection, which actually just serves to perpetuate the misperception that you can heal yourself by walling your self off - even though all you're doing from an external perspective is being a whiner with your head up your ass.

my point being, i think the origin of it is less in being proud of not considering others (i think that actually goes against the whole point of Fi - at least for an ExFP, Fi is the primary means by which we connect with others... not to mention that being wholly self-absorbed is embarrassing) and more in a painful feeling of irreconcilability. i think that's pretty universally true, actually. harmful behavior is usually the result of someone being hurt inside, and that causing some sort of cognitive error which skews behavior.

here's my messed-up-Fi process, for your enjoyment:
1) i'll get internally emo and whiny and try to hide away because that's embarrassing
2) but i know that what i actually need to heal is to reconcile my ability of my self to reconnect with others, so either i'lll just ask someone to talk to me (if i'm in a particularly healthy state of mind), or if not, i'll try to lure others to pay attention to me (because i feel like they should care enough about me to pay attention that i'm hurt)
3) if i don't ask anyone and no one does pay attention i will mope alone and just ruminate in my thoughts
4) either i will get sick of ruminating and want to go get something else done, which is what usually happens, so i give up being a huge whiner and go be productive, OR i'll finally give in and ask someone if they'd mind talking with me for a while while i debrief my feelings to myself, OR i am increasingly an ass until someone notices

ha...me too :blush:

D

Dali

Fe is only hated on when it's not Dom or Aux, otherwise it seems very well-like to me...

Fe gets along with people better IME. People outside the Fi user get annoyed because they feel their views don't get considered... and they kind of don't...

I take it you haven't seen people rip into Dom-Fe on here. It can get ugly. Real ugly...