• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] Why does everyone hate on Fi?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
HAHAH.. I know where your coming from.. and ya, I've seen people hate on Fi, but I still think Fe gets the brunt of it.

Infact, all the functions can get hated on..
Ne's get hated on for being too out there
Ni's get hated on for being too narrow
Fe's get hated on for social expectations
Fi's get hated on for internal values that conflict with the hater
Te gets hated on for being Nazi's
Ti gets hated on for an inability to make the framework external
Se gets hated on for being gluttonous and barbaric
Si gets hated on for being subjective

Perhaps compromise is needed. Perhaps we can all get along in one big pool of seething hatred. ;)

What would make me like what ? A narrow minded nazi that is being hated because of his values that include occasional barbarism?

Xellotath

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Aww, but Rand's kinda cute.. she's just the pompom girl for the logical law of identity.
She's so idealistic and oversystematized... like Kant.
One speaks about the importance of Valuuuuuesss! And the other about Living according to your own maxim as if everyone else did the same ...yaaaaaay. <3 <3

You just have to read through pages of really condensed language to get to the squishy parts.~

Intjs are adorable ._.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I love fi...
*hugs fi*
there there everythings going to be just fine.

NegativeZero

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w4
Recognizing that someone has a lot less experience and wisdom than you isn't ageist.

Age =/= wisdom, experience

If the whole "the older one is, the wiser one is" sentiment were to be eternally destroyed, the world may be a much wiser place. Wisdom simply has nothing to do with age; some people lack depth no matter how old they get to be. I am not even sure how this sentiment got to be so rampant because it does not make sense. Sure, I will concede that the older one is, the more they have likely experienced, but experience is not wisdom.

I am able to recognize when someone has more experience and wisdom than I, but I do not think increasing age and more wisdom should be conflated.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

If the whole "the older one is, the wiser one is" sentiment were to be eternally destroyed, the world may be a much wiser place. Wisdom simply has nothing to do with age; some people lack depth no matter how old they get to be. I am not even sure how this sentiment got to be so rampant because it does not make sense. Sure, I will concede that the older one is, the more they have likely experienced, but experience is not wisdom.

I am able to recognize when someone has more experience and wisdom than I, but I do not think increasing age and more wisdom should be conflated.

you're right. correlation does not equal causation

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Come on people. Fi is the most genuine, creative, gentle, artistic and exotic of all the functions. why the haterz gotta hate? FPs for the win! :solidarity:

And also why is everyone constantly engaging in hyperbole?? Why the overstaterz gotta overstate?!

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50

Age does correlate with wisdom. However, wisdom is simply a factor to consider in making a decision, though it is an important one. So does experience, simply because all factors cannot be controlled.

It may be that you simply do not prioritize the same thing that the other person does.

Random Ness

The point of being ageist is 1. biology of the brain and 2. you have taken in a lot more information when you're older.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
This is why I don't take middle schoolers seriously.

He said he was a junior in high school.

But more importantly...really? Everything he said in the post you quoted is absolutely correct.

G

Ginkgo

I think young 'uns just look up to the senile babblings of their elders and assume that just because the elders make no sense, there must be some ancient, encrypted wisdom to be found within.

In the end, everyone is pretty retarded.

Random Ness

But more importantly...really? Everything he said in the post you quoted is absolutely correct.

Wow. Somehow I read that as "junior high school". Well, that makes it not as bad.

You're less experienced and wise when you're younger. Is that not a fact? A young person may be more wise now than other adults, but as that young person gets older, they'll probably become more wise. Not to mention there's a significant correlation between having bad judgment and being a teenager--not just a social one, but a biological one, too.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50

Except that we were all 17 once, too, and thought we had just as good a grasp on the way things worked as anyone else did.

Then ages 22-25 happened.

The problem with that age is that your brain isn't developed enough yet to comprehend how much your own arrogance blinds you. And yes, everyone is arrogant in some way at age 17.

Random Ness

Except that we were all 17 once, too, and thought we had just as good a grasp on the way things worked as anyone else did.

Ask some old people, though, and many will say they still thought they were on top of the world through their 20s.

The point of being ageist is 1. biology of the brain and 2. you have taken in a lot more information when you're older.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
In the end, everyone is pretty retarded.

Yes. :yes:

Wow. Somehow I read that as "junior high school". Well, that makes it not as bad.

You're less experienced and wise when you're younger. Is that not a fact? A young person may be more wise now than other adults, but as that young person gets older, they'll probably become more wise. Not to mention there's a significant correlation between having bad judgment and being a teenager--not just a social one, but a biological one, too.

The problem with that age is that your brain isn't developed enough yet to comprehend how much your own arrogance blinds you. And yes, everyone is arrogant in some way at age 17.

Are you less experienced when you're younger? Yes. Are you necessarily less wise? No. Perhaps it's true that you're likely to gain wisdom as you gain experience (because they're correlated), but it's not guaranteed (because there's no causal link between the one and the other. Experience does not cause wisdom.)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ask some old people, though, and many will say they still thought they were on top of the world through their 20s.

that doesn't mean you necessarily mean you come to the right conclusions with that information. age (or more appropriately, time) is an opportunity to gain wisdom, not a gurantee. some old people are, frankly, little more than closed minded brain washed imbeciles.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
This made me go :sick: :doh: People just concentrate on the negativity that somehow relates to him or her in relation to these types of things,

I agree. Elfboy, this is a problem you seem to always have. You take a function or a type you supposedly have and assume that every character trait you have is reflected on these. It often makes your descriptions off.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
The point of being ageist is 1. biology of the brain

This is not an argument. The brain is always changing, so at what point in its development are the conditions for wisdom most ripe? I've read arguments before stating that the slower reaction time of an aging brain (which is less responsive to dopamine) makes for more wisdom in decision-making because it is less affected by emotion and impulse. But why is having a quicker brain necessarily a detriment to wise-decision making? A wise person will take time to thoroughly measure their decisions whether their brain is quicker or slower.

2. you have taken in a lot more information when you're older.

The mere exposure to greater amounts of information means nothing in and of itself. The information needs to have affected the thinking patterns of the individual in such a way that they gained wisdom, and that is by no means brought about by their perception (or even retention) of the information alone. The most you could say is that having greater experience is a necessary but not sufficient condition of being wise, but even that is questionable.

It seems to me that past a certain point in one's development (granted that you have at least normal functionality), you're either a person who is going to be wise or you're not (and that could be for a number of reasons having to do with pre-morbid disposition, upbringing, etc.,.) It's a quality that carries through relatively independent of one's intellectual capabilities or experience (past a critical point.) Indeed, like Aristotle held, only those habituated properly in their early years had the capability of going on to become more and more wise (well, practically wise, which meant being both a skilled and virtuous decision-maker) through praxis. It's like creativity and IQ; up until 120, they have a positive correlation. After that, however, the relationship falls apart and they develop unrelated to one another.