Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeZero View Post
    I mean, kind of. My Fi is really selfish. Not to mention, Fi happens to be the source of pretty much all navel gazing. Also, Fi is pretty useless. I find if I neglect my Fi too long, I start to feel unhappy and dysfunctional. It's a shame I'm an NF because I prefer to rely on Ti and Ne for most situations.
    How is Fi useless? It's the rational function which provides your personal ethical framework.

Why would an INFP say Fi was useless? Something doesn't add up, unless you're complaining that your lack of Te development hinders you from doing things like earning money.

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Why is Ti incapable of providing an ethical framework? Also, NFs LOVE to throw around the term "ethics" as if they have a proclivity toward it and I feel this is not the case. I score average use of Te, by the way. I prefer Ti, Fi, and Ne (excellent use of all three).

My biggest problem in regards to making money, functioning in the real world, etc. is that I'm an 88% P and I'm incredibly lazy. Oh yeah, I'm still a junior in high school as well. Just throwing that out there.
    MBTI: INxP
    Enneagram: 5w4
    Multiple Intelligence: Linguistic/verbal, intrapersonal.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    Cuz nobody knows how to "love on Fi". Scientists from around the globe are still trying to figure this out (mainly NT scientists). Experts say we should have a cure for cancer by the year 2020. Some 50 years after that, we may have more insight into Fi and how to properly handle it/give it the love it deserves.
    INTJ scientists will figure it out first, and ENTJs will grudgingly agree after the facts are presented.

NTPs will declare it a ridiculous Ni delusion, and go on about their day, smirking to themselves that anyone could believe Fi could be worthy of love. Heck, they'd put it up there with other silly notions like "believing in a god."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Why is Ti incapable of providing an ethical framework? Also, NFs LOVE to throw around the term "ethics" as if they have a proclivity toward it and I feel this is not the case. I score average use of Te, by the way. I prefer Ti, Fi, and Ne (excellent use of all three).

My biggest problem in regards to making money, functioning in the real world, etc. is that I'm an 88% P and I'm incredibly lazy. Oh yeah, I'm still a junior in high school as well. Just throwing that out there.
    Oh, I see. You just don't understand the first thing about function theory. Sweet story, bro.

I didn't understand it at first either. It helps to actually read Jung, just a tip.

But since you're still a junior in high school, you might not even be 100% sure about your type.

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Oh, I see. You just don't understand the first thing about function theory. Sweet story, bro.
    Less dismissive bullshit, more explaining.

To be more clear, I don't understand why you asserted I do not understand function theory. Do you really think ethics is a concept strictly grounded in Fi? Or even best handled by Fi?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Less dismissive bullshit, more explaining.

To be more clear, I don't understand why you asserted I do not understand function theory. Do you really think ethics is a concept strictly grounded in Fi? Or even best handled by Fi?
    Because you don't. If you had, you wouldn't have called Fi "useless" unless you meant it in some subjective context, like you're too ethics or relationship oriented and rejecting of inferior Te to ever have any structure, logic, or get anything done.

Ti and Fi conflict one another by their very natures, and you speak of having them as though they are interchangeable.

I would encourage you to read Jung. All else is quicksand, it's really confusing to attempt to learn function theory on these message boards because so many other people are either confused or misinformed.

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I'm calling Fi useless in a relative sense. I believe other functions are far better suited for reality. However, Fi seems to be invaluable when it comes to maintaining intimate relationships and friendships. And sorry for misunderstanding your reference to Te as inferior; you mean its position as a function, not the adjective inferior.

Also, your advice to read up on function theory was accepted. I'm currently reading about it and picking up on a few clarifications that I had not previously known (such as feeling not meaning literal feeling of emotions, but rather subjective compartmentalizing and evaluation). I also did not know that Te was essentially applied logic while Ti is analysis and inside-out understanding. Interesting.

I still refuse to deny other judgment functions a place in ethics, however. :P
    Last edited by NegativeZero; 04-21-2011 at 11:53 PM. Reason: awful grammar

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm calling Fi useless in a relative sense. I believe other functions are far better suited for the reality. However, Fi seems to be invaluable when it comes to maintaining intimate relationships and friendships. And sorry for misunderstanding your reference to Te as inferior; you mean it's position as a function, not the adjective inferior.

Also, your advice to read up on function theory was accepted. I'm currently reading about it and picking up on a few clarifications that I had not previously known (such as feeling not meaning literal feeling of emotions, but rather subjective compartmentalizing and evaluation). I also did not know that Te was essentially applied logic while Ti is analysis and inside-out understanding. Interesting.

I still refuse to deny other judgment functions a place in ethics, however. :P
    Fe and Fi make value judgements. Te and Ti make logical judgements. Both T and F are rational processes.

Te can support Fi in making a cohesive value system, and Ti can assist Fe. But your basic value-based world views come from Fi or Fe, and it doesn't matter if you're an NT or an NF.

None of the functions work in a "vaccuum" either. While my value judgements and ethics spring from my Fi, Te is what attempts to apply my ethical values to a (theoretical) logical legal system, and questions whether or not these values will "work" in the real world.

Just please read Jung. I made a huge mistake of not doing so in the beginning.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Here's a part of Jung's work on personality theory on-line, describing the personalities, such as Fi dominant, et al.

This is not the complete work, though. It will probably help you a lot, though, if you take the time to even read this.

http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Jung/types.htm

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I've been to that page before and its prolix nature really scares me. I've been reading this and it seems far more efficient.

Also, the reason I objected to you saying logical functions do not have a place in ethics is because my passion is philosophy and I have a very good understanding of ethics. Logic is a necessary part of ethics and it is how debates over theoretical frameworks of morality are carried out. Also, logic (Ti here, I believe) would help elucidate definitions of morality and make the idea crisp and congruent. Logic is also necessary for forming any moral framework because without it, everything would be overly subjective, convoluted and irrational nonsense.

So while you're right that normative ethics (how ought one act, morally speaking?) would fall under the feeling branch, meta-ethics (what is goodness? how can one tell good from bad? what does it mean to be just? do ethical sentences express propositions?) is more of a Ti realm.