User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Marmie, that's really fascinating...I see so much of myself reflected in there. I also have bursts of enthusiasm which just make people smile and laugh, but I can't help it - it's just so effervescent -

Because of his capacity, when orientated more towards men than things, to make an intuitive diagnosis of their abilities and range of usefulness, he can also 'make' men. His capacity to inspire his fellow-men with courage, or to kindle enthusiasm for something new, is unrivalled, although he may have forsworn it by the morrow. The more powerful and vivid his intuition, the more is his subject fused and blended with the divined possibility. He animates it; he presents it in plastic shape and with convincing fire; he almost embodies it. It is not a mere histrionic display, but a fate.
    Yep. But often it comes at a price:

a. I lose myself in it. At the end of the day, I have no life. Argh.

b. I don't have structure.

c. I lose myself in activism to the point that I lose focus and question why I even started.

Typical evaluation:

Good: varied methods, always interesting, always different, enthusiastic, interested in the students, accommodates individual preferences, never boring, motivates students

Bad: lack of structure, sometimes too interested in what the students want (e.g. not strict enough, not simply telling people what to do).

Hmm. My advisor told me "You have structure, but it's not direct or linear. You have to sketch your structure so that people know where you're going."

Or here's another comment, "At first, when you started, I wondered, 'Will this thing have a structure?' But as you went on, I saw how everything fit together, and I really liked it."

I'm not sure I am hated. Besides, if anything, I'm probably more self-critical than anyone here can match. I've got it covered, thank you very much.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Marmie, that's really fascinating...I see so much of myself reflected in there. I also have bursts of enthusiasm which just make people smile and laugh, but I can't help it - it's just so effervescent -

Yep. But often it comes at a price:

a. I lose myself in it. At the end of the day, I have no life. Argh.

b. I don't have structure.

c. I lose myself in activism to the point that I lose focus and question why I even started.

Typical evaluation:

Good: varied methods, always interesting, always different, enthusiastic, interested in the students, accommodates individual preferences, never boring, motivates students

Bad: lack of structure, sometimes too interested in what the students want (e.g. not strict enough, not simply telling people what to do).

Hmm. My advisor told me "You have structure, but it's not direct or linear. You have to sketch your structure so that people know where you're going."

Or here's another comment, "At first, when you started, I wondered, 'Will this thing have a structure?' But as you went on, I saw how everything fit together, and I really liked it."
    I think the most hated thing for me is when I get enthusiastic about something then change my mind a few days later.

Especially since some people have taken me so seriously because I can come across so strongly.

I guess that's what they mean about "abandoning" something "cold-bloodedly." It's less cold-blooded, and just that I saw the error in my thinking, or thought about the situation from a different angle, and realized a new way of thinking is in order.

That can get embarrassing. However, when I keep being passionate about something over a long period of time, over and over again, over the course of weeks months and years, that's when to take me seriously. If you keep hearing or reading it.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I think the most hated thing for me is when I get enthusiastic about something then change my mind a few days later.

Especially since some people have taken me so seriously because I can come across so strongly.

I guess that's what they mean about "abandoning" something "cold-bloodedly." It's less cold-blooded, and just that I saw the error in my thinking, or thought about the situation from a different angle, and realized a new way of thinking is in order.

That can get embarrassing. However, when I keep being passionate about something over a long period of time, over and over again, over the course of weeks months and years, that's when to take me seriously. If you keep hearing or reading it.
    OMG You do that? I do that, too. And then I lose credibility because people think I just get excited about anything. But I really AM that excited. I just noticed something later because I don't have an eye for detail.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    OMG You do that? I do that, too. And then I lose credibility because people think I just get excited about anything. But I really AM that excited. I just noticed something later because I don't have an eye for detail.
    YES! Exactly! Either someone else points something out to me that shifts my perception, or I notice something on my own. But nothing that I declare in an emphatic manner is false, it's very real enthusiasm or passion, it's just that I may have...missed something. Or thought better of it.

It does cause some people to think you're not credible (you, the general you, Ne doms, maybe ENFPs) when these things occur. Yet it is always totally sincere.

This hearkens to a thread I posted in last night where an ISxJ said they don't trust ENFPs to know who they really like or are friends with. Well...I genuinely like all the people I'm friends with. But you know if I like you *particularly* because I give you *moar* attention, or keep coming back to you *repeatedly over time.*

It's pretty much the same with my Fi morals and emphatic ideas. You can be sure that I mean what I say at any given time (unless I'm in some situation where I feel that lying is necessary for survival reasons, which is pretty damn rare) ...but if you want to know what I'm really made of, note what I keep coming back to repeatedly and consistently. Because the Fi is definitely there, it totally is. It's just buried sometimes under all that Ne excitement.

I lack structure, too, BTW. I totally relate with you on that.

It's good to find people who understand!!!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Why has no one called them on this? Look at what we have: (1) Fi is responsible for the Declaration of Independence and civil liberties, (2) only NJs and NPs question authority, and (3) NPs have been historically persecuted. WTF.
    yeah i don't know, i don't buy all this glorious persecution crap either.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    yeah i don't know, i don't buy all this glorious persecution crap either.
    Lord Elfboy, Most High, is Duke of Delusionville.

Don't contradict him.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Why does everyone hate on Fi?
    Cuz nobody knows how to "love on Fi". Scientists from around the globe are still trying to figure this out (mainly NT scientists). Experts say we should have a cure for cancer by the year 2020. Some 50 years after that, we may have more insight into Fi and how to properly handle it/give it the love it deserves.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    Cuz nobody knows how to "love on Fi". Scientists from around the globe are still trying to figure this out (mainly NT scientists). Experts say we should have a cure for cancer by the year 2020. Some 50 years after that, we may have more insight into Fi and how to properly handle it/give it the love it deserves.
    I have a pet bunny, Ebony. She is ADORABLE! But she is a bunny and therefore a prey animal. Bunnies are social animals and like to play games. She sometimes wants to play games with me. Sometimes that game is "chase me!"

It starts off with her coming near me and looking at me expectantly with big, soft brown eyes. I put my hand down to pet her, and she hops away a few feet... turns... looks at me again. I get up, get closer, and away she leaps! hopping another few feet away. She eyes me again, all alertness, ears pricked up, one paw half off the floor.

"Ah, you want to be chased!" I think to myself.

So I comply, and shuffle closer to her, watch her hop away.... I shuffle closer.... she hops... This continues for a few minutes.

I see her little bunny brain whirring. "I'm being chased! This is so much fun!" (hop hop HOP!)

And then it changes....to.....

"OMG IM BEING CHASED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" *running, thumping hind leg, ears flattened, eyes bulging out, peeking out from behind one of my chairs, her little nose going a mile a minute*

Eventually she will calm down and remember that it is me, the one who pets her and brings her treats, and she will creep out to be snuggled.

In conclusion:

1st RULE: You do not talk about FIGHT CLUB.

2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about FIGHT CLUB.

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by unsung View Post
    They are just so full of themselves.
    I mean, kind of. My Fi is really selfish. Not to mention, Fi happens to be the source of pretty much all navel gazing. Also, Fi is pretty useless. I find if I neglect my Fi too long, I start to feel unhappy and dysfunctional. It's a shame I'm an NF because I prefer to rely on Ti and Ne for most situations.
    MBTI: INxP
    Enneagram: 5w4
    Multiple Intelligence: Linguistic/verbal, intrapersonal.