Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    I agree. Elfboy, this is a problem you seem to always have. You take a function or a type you supposedly have and assume that every character trait you have is reflected on these. It often makes your descriptions off.
    true. realizing this more and more recently
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    This is not an argument. The brain is always changing, so at what point in its development are the conditions for wisdom most ripe? I've read arguments before stating that the slower reaction time of an aging brain (which is less responsive to dopamine) makes for more wisdom in decision-making because it is less affected by emotion and impulse. But why is having a quicker brain necessarily a detriment to wise-decision making? A wise person will take time to thoroughly measure their decisions whether their brain is quicker or slower.

The mere exposure to greater amounts of information means nothing in and of itself. The information needs to have affected the thinking patterns of the individual in such a way that they gained wisdom, and that is by no means brought about by their perception (or even retention) of the information alone. The most you could say is that having greater experience is a necessary but not sufficient condition of being wise, but even that is questionable.
    good post!
    there are several other areas to take into account when evaluating competence/wisdom such as areas of expertise, habits, lifestyle, education (not just school) and other situational factors. disregarding someone's imput strictly off the premise of age would be rather ignorant and assumptive
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Are you less experienced when you're younger? Yes. Are you necessarily less wise? No. Perhaps it's true that you're likely to gain wisdom as you gain experience (because they're correlated), but it's not guaranteed (because there's no causal link between the one and the other. Experience does not cause wisdom.)
    Age is a necessary, if not sufficient, condition for wisdom.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Random Ness View Post
    The point of being ageist is 1. biology of the brain and 2. you have taken in a lot more information when you're older.
    Seriously? I am 21 and there are several that I have experienced that most people older than me have yet to experience and many most likely never will. I would say that it seems presumptuous and arrogant to assume one is more wise JUST based on age. There are some pretty big dumbasses in the world who are double, triple my age. I make it a rule not to respect people just based on age.... it's pretty arbitrary.

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Wouldn't experience have more bearing than age on wisdom (so it is not a necessity, persay)?

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Wisdom depends on experience and capacity to learn. But experience varies greatly between individuals, even those of the same age.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    Wisdom depends on experience and capacity to learn. But experience varies greatly between individuals, even those of the same age.
    One - ceteris paribus, a person of greater age has more experience than one of lesser age.

Two - I honestly think everyone has the same capacity to learn. We simply prioritize different things.

Three - Your brain does not reach the level of development to synthesize knowledge into wisdom until age 25. Even then, you're still a beginner.

Point is, that differences in levels of wisdom possessed by people of the same age only begins to differ noticeably in the late 20s into the 30s. What's more, all of those people have more wisdom than people in their teens and early 20s. That's not saying anything bad about the younger people, either.

Wisdom arises from the reflection on opportunities, experiences, and possibilities forever lost. It requires an acceptance of the world that younger folk neither have nor need.

MBTI
    EnfJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII

more bunny love and less hatez pleeeze. I think I don't quite understand Fi and look down on it sometimes. Fe and Fi might be on different sides a little. Other functions don't have negative affects that are personal like Fi. E.G. looking down on someone vs. being nazi Te, the Fi affects me more as I perceive it sometimes as personal or more on a serious matter (my values) and not an annoying trait.

And speaking of someone younger in age, Elfboy why you not like teh ladies!? nooooooo.....wink wink hop

Where's the ENFP classifieds?

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    that doesn't mean you necessarily mean you come to the right conclusions with that information. age (or more appropriately, time) is an opportunity to gain wisdom, not a gurantee. some old people are, frankly, little more than closed minded brain washed imbeciles.
    No kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey
    This is not an argument. The brain is always changing, so at what point in its development are the conditions for wisdom most ripe? I've read arguments before stating that the slower reaction time of an aging brain (which is less responsive to dopamine) makes for more wisdom in decision-making because it is less affected by emotion and impulse. But why is having a quicker brain necessarily a detriment to wise-decision making? A wise person will take time to thoroughly measure their decisions whether their brain is quicker or slower.
    The prefrontal cortex isn't developed. That's a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey
    The mere exposure to greater amounts of information means nothing in and of itself. The information needs to have affected the thinking patterns of the individual in such a way that they gained wisdom, and that is by no means brought about by their perception (or even retention) of the information alone. The most you could say is that having greater experience is a necessary but not sufficient condition of being wise, but even that is questionable.
    Age = you have more experience because you've lived for a longer amount of time. Age = you have more information to make the right decisions. Age =/= you are right. Age is one of the things that gives you a greater opportunity to be right, yes?

You guys, we actually agree with each other, but we're arguing different points. When the points are all considered, they make a complete picture.

Glycerine

Yes the prefrontal cortex is not completely myelinated until 25 but that doesn't necessarily mean one is going hold more "wisdom" than people younger than them. I keep hypothetically thinking of a sheltered 25 y o vs. an older teen who had to deal with many struggles and had to learn to be resilient. Who is going to be more wise, the one who is sheltered or the resilient one? That's why I don't entirely buy into this "ageist" argument. I have noticed the people who seem to adhere to this type of thinking, usually turn into the snooty, "stick up the butt" 40+ year olds who cling onto the wisdom card because that is one of the only things they have to feel "superior" about.

On a side note, my near 60 year old dad told me the other day that "You are sheltered because you have yet to meet the many incredibly idiotic people of the world....they make morons look like geniuses."

MBTI
    Infp
    Enneagram
    4w5

Haters gonna hate cus they jelly