User Tag List

First 414950515253 Last

How do INFPs use their feelings to fuel their creativity?

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Noon View Post
    It's about recreating, evoking or generating highly subjective impressions in a way that others can also experience. Emotional experiences (both mine and others; real and imaginary) are perhaps most central of these impressions, but the physical and mental are also fascinating to me. You want to make others feel the depth and impact of a feeling with the same intensity and sense of meaning. So I guess I would say my feelings are what make me want to be creative, because the things inside are too interesting and wonderful not to share in some shape or form.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    It's about recreating, evoking or generating highly subjective impressions in a way that others can also experience. Emotional experiences (both mine and others; real and imaginary) are perhaps most central of these impressions, but the physical and mental are also fascinating to me. You want to make others feel the depth and impact of a feeling with the same intensity and sense of meaning. So I guess I would say my feelings are what make me want to be creative, because the things inside are too interesting and wonderful not to share in some shape or form.
    Yes, this is very well put. I hasten to specify that for me, my attempts at re-creating my subjective experiences to others, is a way for me to connect with others. I put it out there, it resonates with others, thereby confirming my sense of kinship with humanity (we're not so different after all, if they can grasp and appreciate my experience on such a deep level). Their reaction/appreciation further solidifies my conviction that there are universal human values, and seeing which specific aspects from works of art people resonate to, are wonderful clues as to what those values are. It's like listening to the vibrations emanating from the golden string that connects us at the heart.

Edit: I'm too tired to discern whether all that made any sense, I'll check in tomorrow morning.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    Yes, this is very well put. I hasten to specify that for me, my attempts at re-creating my subjective experiences to others, is a way for me to connect with others. I put it out there, it resonates with others, thereby confirming my sense of kinship with humanity (we're not so different after all, if they can grasp and appreciate my experience on such a deep level). Their reaction/appreciation further solidifies my conviction that there are universal human values, and seeing which specific aspects from works of art people resonate to, are wonderful clues as to what those values are. It's like listening to the vibrations emanating from the golden string that connects us at the heart.

Edit: I'm too tired to discern whether all that made any sense, I'll check in tomorrow morning.
    pfffft
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    pfffft
    As usual, an ENTP demonstrates his dazzling wit and formidable command of language.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

As usual, an ENTP demonstrates his dazzling wit and formidable command of language.
    You =

Me =
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

@Southern Kross, @Forever_Jung

Thanks for the responses.

Is it the same way when making something positive out of negative feelings that might otherwise overwhelm you? Have there ever been any feelings that you couldn't create anything out of?

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Yes, resonance is a good word for it.

Thanks for the responses.

Is it the same way when making something positive out of negative feelings that might otherwise overwhelm you?
    There's no such thing as positive or negative feelings IMO . I mean, of course there are in objective terms (as a descriptor: eg. sad = negative, happy = positive), but I (and perhaps all INFPs) don't experience it that way. Deep, meaningful emotional truth is the focus and source of 'pleasure'. It doesn't matter if it's upbeat and life-affirming, or dark and harrowing, it still has a profound beauty to it. I don't want to get rid of dark feelings; I want to feel them. I want to experience the full weight of that emotional truth and convey that to others.

I can see what you're getting at though: the idea of art as emotional therapy or catharsis. I don't see that happening with INFPs. It would be like numbing yourself to the world and your ability to connect to it, which would probably inhibit creativity altogether. The goal is more to do with evoking and experiencing the feeling than resolving it. But then I am a 4 and INFPs with different enneatypes may feel differently.

Have there ever been any feelings that you couldn't create anything out of?
    I'm not that prolific in my creative outputs, so I couldn't say. In theory, I think there's a way to evoke every feeling, it's just that some can be a lot harder than others. Lenore Thomson used this great analogy of this being like making a perfect spaghetti sauce. The INFP has a strong sensory image in her head of just how she wants it to taste before even starting. She then goes about trying to add the right ingredients and cooking it in just the right way; testing and adjusting the sauce over and over until the reality matches that image. Of course, sometimes it doesn't quite work out and she can't get it to match, which is always disappointing and frustrating.

I do find it thrilling when a song, a movie or a book manages to elicit a very abstract and complex impression/feeling/experience of the world. Especially when it's an impression that is rarely, if ever, addressed. It's one of my favourite things.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    There's no such thing as positive or negative feelings IMO . I mean, of course there are in objective terms (as a descriptor: eg. sad = negative, happy = positive), but I (and perhaps all INFPs) don't experience it that way. Deep, meaningful emotional truth is the focus and source of 'pleasure'. It doesn't matter if it's upbeat and life-affirming, or dark and harrowing, it still has a profound beauty to it. I don't want to get rid of dark feelings; I want to feel them. I want to experience the full weight of that emotional truth and convey that to others.

I can see what you're getting at though: the idea of art as emotional therapy or catharsis. I don't see that happening with INFPs. It would be like numbing yourself to the world and your ability to connect to it, which would probably inhibit creativity altogether. The goal is more to do with evoking and experiencing the feeling than resolving it. But then I am a 4 and INFPs with different enneatypes may feel differently.
    sort of. As a head type, feelings can be wild and disorienting for me until they have a narrative. It's common for me to have to systematize an experience and subsequently take it in again in that form, from the outside, in order to fully grasp and appreciate it. Then it's automatically comforting and harmonious and non-threatening since having things make sense in an ordered way is what brings me security.

So INFPs, or at least INFP 4s, do the opposite of this. Understood. That possibility never even crossed my mind, lol.

I'm not that prolific in my creative outputs, so I couldn't say. In theory, I think there's a way to evoke every feeling, it's just that some can be a lot harder than others. Lenore Thomson used this great analogy of this being like making a perfect spaghetti sauce. The INFP has a strong sensory image in her head of just how she wants it to taste before even starting. She then goes about trying to add the right ingredients and cooking it in just the right way; testing and adjusting the sauce over and over until the reality matches that image. Of course, sometimes it doesn't quite work out and she can't get it to match, which is always disappointing and frustrating.

I do find it thrilling when a song, a movie or a book manages to elicit a very abstract and complex impression/feeling/experience of the world. Especially when it's an impression that is rarely, if ever, addressed. It's one of my favourite things.
    Thanks for this example

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    583 sp/sx

By evoking feelings and creative an immersive experience, that way the people engaging with my art might feel those things, too. It's about building an atmosphere out of images, sensations, and concepts that can lead people to feel this way or that way. I don't want to intrude in the narrative to say, "Hey, feel this."

Everything I make has to be true at its core. If it doesn't have a deeper meaning, there's no point. Under the artifice, the relationships, reactions, and insights have to be honest. I can lie about everything else, but my version of the truth has to underpin those lies.

Is it the same way when making something positive out of negative feelings that might otherwise overwhelm you? Have there ever been any feelings that you couldn't create anything out of?
    I can't do this. Navigating feelings in real-time and using them for my art doesn't work. I've tried it with both poetry and fiction. When I do it, the piece turns into a melodramatic mess. It's like hauling a large fish onto a deck and trying to dissect it while it's alive and flopping. I just get slapped for my efforts, and what's left is a gross, dead thing I have to kick back into the ocean, anyway.

If I get enough distance, I can try to invoke that negative feeling in a new context or intermingled with other feelings. Occasionally, I want to write about a certain feeling. I can't portray it exactly as I experienced. The character and the story take precedence. My stories aren't stories about me. They're filtered through other situations and through another POV. My own experience serves as a gateway, not the destination.

I'm still a novice, but I don't think there are feelings or ideas I couldn't work through. Intense negative feelings take longer and require more effort. I don't write things that are easy, anyway.

The only way I could imagine the feelings themselves being useful to me is for a performance. Creating a mental space where those emotions well up inside me probably works better with singing or acting. (Not that I act.) Singing a weak area for me. In spite of that, wielding raw emotions feels natural there.