First 26343536373846 Last

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    That does make me feel better.

How do you usually approach those concerns, in yourself?
    I have quite a natural temper and it can be hard work to keep it in check. Memories of being embarrassed by things I said and did after losing it, help to remind me it's a bad idea; and I keep in mind how rarely it was actually worthwhile/justified. I suppose what I find useful is to mentally separate yourself and your actions from the muddle; from what you can control and what you can't. This way you're less focussed on external forces, like blaming or punishing others for things they've done (things that are beyond your control), and instead directing your energy on managing your own reaction; on sculpting that ideal self. That way you take greater responsibility for the things you say/do, but it also helps you have much more control over your life (which counters that helpless feeling that drives us to do crazy things).

As for not freaking out, I try to remember some sort of saying I once read; it went something like, "People aren't thinking about you as much as you imagine they are. You aren't that important to them". The point being, each of us are the centre of our own universe and because of this we mistakenly believe that somehow we are more significant in others' lives than we actually are. We foolishly think that our humiliations, in particular, are as obvious, influential and memorable to others as they are to us.

I guess overall it's valuable to recognise which instincts are not realistic/appropriate and remember to ignore them when they come up. It's hard to do this in the moment, because everything is telling you that those instincts are 100% right. But sometimes you just have to mentally slap yourself and say, "for goodness sake, just stop that!"
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I also have a question.
    Why is it that though i am an ENFP i feel more akin to you beautiful people. Really i do.
    I love ENFP's with a vastness, but INFP's i just feel more identity with.
    Is it the thing about INFP's depth, once you get close... you all (well quite a few, enough to exaggerate to you all haha) just wow me.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    I also have a question.
    Why is it that though i am an ENFP i feel more akin to you beautiful people. Really i do.
    Is it the thing about INFP's depth, once you get close... you all (well quite a few, enough to exaggerate to you all haha) just wow me.
    Aww, Helen... right back atcha.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    I also have a question.
    I love your voice. I now hear it when I read your posts. Everything you say sounds enchaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanting.

Perhaps you are a low e Fi kind of ENFP. Whereas I am a high Ne kind of INFP.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Random questions:

1- What do you think about INTPs?
    2- What would you do if you had a time machine?
    3- Does money bring happiness?
    4- What would you do with one billion dollars?
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    IsFJ

Q: Are INFPs really "more complex" than other people?
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Random questions:

1- INTPs and Me: (Due to my recent dates I am responding on more of what I think of them when dating... In general, I like INTPs... some far more than others.)

Pros:
    • TiNe can be extremely witty and charming.
    • NeFe is freqently endearing.

Cons:
    • In dating, they frequently disappear on me because emoshuns come up.
    • I get tired of pedantic responses.
    • Their interest can feel like interrogation sometimes.
    • They can be flaky.
    • Sometimes they go too far with their need to be Right and Logical and it either pisses me off or it hurts my feelings.

There seem to be a few flavors of INTP.
    Type 1: (My favorite) Are witty and intelligent but aren't as serious that often to an extreme degree. Example, @MacGuffin and @Jennifer.
    Type 2: (Also a favorite) Can be serious but aim to be kind and try to deny my INFP pudding. Example, @Redbone and @kelric.
    Type 3: (No comment) Used to being smarter than most people and therefore think they are superior and act as if whomever is with them is being bestowed a great and noble honor. @Ericthemoron and @theINTPswhopostgiantwallsofboringtext.

:tea:

2. Time Machine.

Omg... what WOULDN'T I do with one!!!

Some ideas:
    • Travel in time to enjoy ancient egypt.
    • Travel to see when the earth was formed.
    • Travel to see when the earth dies.
    • Travel to see dinosaurs.
    • Travel to see Pangea.
    • Travel to see the Himalayas form.

3- Money.

Money brings me security and comfort. (Strong SP-aux.)

4- Imaginary Money.

1- I would pay off debts of my friends and family that I care about.
    2- I would travel the world.
    3- I would buy my own island and live there alone with my shark friends.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I have quite a natural temper and it can be hard work to keep it in check. Memories of being embarrassed by things I said and did after losing it, help to remind me it's a bad idea; and I keep in mind how rarely it was actually worthwhile/justified. I suppose what I find useful is to mentally separate yourself and your actions from the muddle; from what you can control and what you can't. This way you're less focussed on external forces, like blaming or punishing others for things they've done (things that are beyond your control), and instead directing your energy on managing your own reaction; on sculpting that ideal self. That way you take greater responsibility for the things you say/do, but it also helps you have much more control over your life (which counters that helpless feeling that drives us to do crazy things).
    Oh man. I've really had to work on this, for the past couple of years. Working on this is exactly why I'm so much more "chill" than the average 1w2 or ESTJ would be. I used to be completely unable to suffer fools gladly, and would call people out on their bullshit as a gut instinct -- which made me no friends at all. But once my Te matured -- and when I started actually listening to my Te in those situations, instead of letting my weak Fi run the show -- I started to figure out that it's more sensible in the long run, and more effective with wrong/incorrect people, to plan ahead, to be tactful, etc.
    My ENFP friend has known me since before I had that realization, and she's told me that since I learned to stay calm and quiet when people are stupid, I've started "sneak attacking" people. I'll calmly and innocently ask them questions about their wrong opinion, collecting as much information as I need, and then I'll "take them down". But I'll only do that if I think it's worth it; if I don't think they have a chance at changing, I won't even try, but I'll still ask all the questions just so I feel like I understand their opinion.
    As for not freaking out, I try to remember some sort of saying I once read; it went something like, "People aren't thinking about you as much as you imagine they are. You aren't that important to them". The point being, each of us are the centre of our own universe and because of this we mistakenly believe that somehow we are more significant in others' lives than we actually are. We foolishly think that our humiliations, in particular, are as obvious, influential and memorable to others as they are to us.
    This is always very good to remember.
    I guess overall it's valuable to recognise which instincts are not realistic/appropriate and remember to ignore them when they come up. It's hard to do this in the moment, because everything is telling you that those instincts are 100% right. But sometimes you just have to mentally slap yourself and say, "for goodness sake, just stop that!"
    Indeed! I do this all the time, especially when I'm in 4 mode. "Shut up! You're not helping right now!!!"

I wonder if it's an Fi thing? Just because I relate to it so much, and I don't know if I've seen an Fe type do that sort of thing before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Ooh! Interesting!

Related, spin-off question: How would you define "complexity", in a person? How would you define someone who isn't complex? Do those traits correspond with an MBTI type?
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Random questions:

1) What do you think about INTPs? (my experience is with the male variety...)
    Cue rapturous raving rambles of ridiculous rhapsody.

What, you want more ego stroking?
    intelligence
    intense interests, leading to high skills
    playful, devastatingly so
    completely willing to playact and be silly
    independence
    fantastic sense of humor
    cruisy, easy going nature
    sangfroid
    appreciation of my emotional depth
    intense caring and love that blows me away under the coolness
    knows how to deal to spiders and other nastiness. Mock and tease all you want, as long as I don't have to watch

cons? hmmm tricky tricky.
    Well endless thinking/discussions about whatever is the current system of interest can get tedious.

I don't like reading instructions either, stop making me do it!

Jumping from one thing to another in conversation without explaining the connection causes a lot of blank looks. It really would be easier for you if you noticed this. And then I wouldn't have to play the interjecting game.

INTP: I like fluffy bunnies. *Starts going on at length about British comedy, the different varieties, the contrast with American comedy...etc)
    Person INTP is talking to:
    Me: Monty python... and the psychopathic fluffy bunny

2) What would you do if you had a time machine?
    Oh I could go on for pages discussing this. How does it work, are you merely an observer? You can change things? How the hell does that work? *erases many thought tangents* What would happen to your perception of time, would you even feel like you have a place *in* time. Would you become like time nomad? How would it alter your perception of meaning and purpose in life? Surely it would drive home with absolute certainty the insignificance of each person. The time is now, which happens over and over and over, each person feeling the world revolves around them and their time. Everything is momentous and nothing is.
    Damn it I want a time machine.

3) Does money bring happiness?
    In itself, no.
    Money is merely an object, happiness has to come from within a person.

4) What would you do with one billion dollars?
    Have houses in New Zealand, Oregon, Dordogne, London.
    Design an awesome treehouse and have someone build it on my Dordogne property
    Concerts, plays, galore
    Have a nanny to travel around with me so I can go to concerts and plays.
    Design stuff and have people make it for me.
    Travel around to have as many personal experiences with different animals as I can. (swimming with dolphins, playing with tiger cubs (done this already!), etc etc etc)
    Travel travel and more travel
    Buy a grand piano
    Be even more overindulgent in book buying
    Design a personal library
    Responsibly buy more books to fill up the library
    Design an even better library ...and on
    ...Invest (in other words, hand over all responsibility to my INTP)
    “Can a man of perception respect himself at all?”
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    no.
    “Can a man of perception respect himself at all?”
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky