User Tag List

First 18262728293038 Last

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    At least to me the intention is more important than the outcome. Outcomes can turn out to be almost anything, because none of us know enough of anything to be able to predict future. Intentions can be pure.
    I don't know; doing bad things for good reasons sounds a little too much like "the ends justify the means"; a philosophy I'm deeply uncomfortable with.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    lol! (I think this is a girl thing.) I only do if I have had a nightmare and I want to be comforted from it. I have had really bad nightmares my entire life. I also do it as a "heads-up" that I am feeling crabby/anxious/worried and it stems from the dream and how real it felt.
    Thanks I feel a little less like a man now *just kidding*

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Question: Which is preferable: Doing good things for bad reasons or doing bad things for good reasons? (It is supposed to be vague)
    I think both options suck, either you do bad things for bad reasons or good things for good reasons, nobody likes someone who cant get even that straight
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post
    I don't know; doing bad things for good reasons sounds a little too much like "the ends justify the means"; a philosophy I'm deeply uncomfortable with.
    I think what he's talking about is when you do something you think is a good thing to do, intending it to be a good thing. It may turn out as you intended it to or it may not. That isn't always up to you. If it turns out badly, then in a sense you've done a bad thing for a good reason. Does that make you as morally culpable as if you intentionally did something you knew was bad for some later good? I don't think so, but I'm sure many disagree.

btw I have no context for this post. I just read the last page of the thread which happened to be senza's post. So whatever the original issue was I'm not weighing in on.

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Moar quessiunz!

1) Are you easily guilt-tripped?

2) What do you sometimes envy in INFJs (or FJs in general)?

3) Do you have a strong negative reaction to people who express emotions they're not really feeling ("phonies")?

4) Is it hard for you to "cut off contact" with people?

5) Do you usually need a strong case to sever bonds with people, or do you mostly go with your gut?
    I'm INFP enough to answer these questions methinks.

1. I easily feel guilt. I can go whole days of vaguely feeling guilty. However I am not guilt-tripped easily as I am good at recognising a guilt trip for what it is, and then have no problem rejecting the feeling prompted.

2. The only INFJ I know well is Lexicon. I envy her coolness.

3. My reaction to people that fake emotion will often be very negative. But feelings might include apathy, amusement, irritation, contempt, disgust and pity. It really depends on how and what they are faking.

When others go to great effort to hide the negative sides of their personality they are really coming from a different planet to me. Ill wear my negatives on the outside when I can, and try to do the same for my positives, though that's harder for me.

4. Its very easy for me to cut off contact once I decide that is what I will do. Up to that point the road can be rocky and confused, but once the decision is made its done.

5. Making friendships will be based on the gut, breaking them will be more based on reasons. I feel as if anyone I've made friends with deserves solid reasons.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    I think what he's talking about is when you do something you think is a good thing to do, intending it to be a good thing. It may turn out as you intended it to or it may not. That isn't always up to you. If it turns out badly, then in a sense you've done a bad thing for a good reason. Does that make you as morally culpable as if you intentionally did something you knew was bad for some later good? I don't think so, but I'm sure many disagree.

btw I have no context for this post. I just read the last page of the thread which happened to be senza's post. So whatever the original issue was I'm not weighing in on.
    The original question was posed thus: "Which is preferable: Doing good things for bad reasons or doing bad things for good reasons? (It is supposed to be vague.)"

Responders took the question to mean what you suggest it does and I agree that this would be its primary meaning -- however, the deliberate vagueness leaves open the very clear possibility that sometimes people undertake morally suspect actions for "the greater good." I didn't want to discount addressing that possibility.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Yes, I deliberately interpreted the question in a different way. I really can't think of any particular time when I've consciously done anything good for bad reason or bad for good reason. Of course I must have, at some point. But it seems like usually my interpretation of situations doesn't go by these terms. I hardly ever see anything so either-or. Even now, as I try to think up imaginary examples of this kind of thinking, I can't think of anything that would fit perfectly.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Question: Which is preferable: Doing good things for bad reasons or doing bad things for good reasons? (It is supposed to be vague)

What? Ain't I allowed to consider it cute?
    Sigh. You INTPs and your "moral vagueness"!

I think the world has already established how evil "for the greater good is." we must also consider that morality is subjective and open to multiple interpretations. I remember watching a documentary on war, and one of the quotes used to illustrate a point was "in order to do good, sometimes we must do evil."

I see the practicality of such a quote, but I don't agree with it inside.

I will have to say neither is preferable. So I will choose the invisible third option: try your best to do good for good!

P.s. I liked the alligator.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Are you an INFP badass? Have you ever seen an INFP badass? Have you ever heard a rumor of an INFP badass existing? Answer any one.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I heard KDude is one...

And Biaxident looks like one.

And let's not forget Hitler.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Hello there.

Quote Originally Posted by BAJ View Post
    But I don't understand doing good for bad reasons.

I think I'd need an example.
    It's hard to picture a day-to-day situation for a bad reason.
    Maybe lifting someone's self esteem (good) in order to exert more influence over the person (bad).
    Ethics aside, this could end up being a win-win situation.

I guess the question was indeed a bit too vague. But i liked the answers, nonetheless, thanks guys and gals.
    I enjoy watching Fi in action. It is like a foreign language
    I know the matter isn't black-and-white and it's not easy picking an option.
    Let's everybody just do good things for good reasons and everything will be fine.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------