• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] (patiently) ask an INFP!!1

Noon

How do INFPs use their feelings to fuel their creativity?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It's about recreating, evoking or generating highly subjective impressions in a way that others can also experience. Emotional experiences (both mine and others; real and imaginary) are perhaps most central of these impressions, but the physical and mental are also fascinating to me. You want to make others feel the depth and impact of a feeling with the same intensity and sense of meaning. So I guess I would say my feelings are what make me want to be creative, because the things inside are too interesting and wonderful not to share in some shape or form.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
It's about recreating, evoking or generating highly subjective impressions in a way that others can also experience. Emotional experiences (both mine and others; real and imaginary) are perhaps most central of these impressions, but the physical and mental are also fascinating to me. You want to make others feel the depth and impact of a feeling with the same intensity and sense of meaning. So I guess I would say my feelings are what make me want to be creative, because the things inside are too interesting and wonderful not to share in some shape or form.

Yes, this is very well put. I hasten to specify that for me, my attempts at re-creating my subjective experiences to others, is a way for me to connect with others. I put it out there, it resonates with others, thereby confirming my sense of kinship with humanity (we're not so different after all, if they can grasp and appreciate my experience on such a deep level). Their reaction/appreciation further solidifies my conviction that there are universal human values, and seeing which specific aspects from works of art people resonate to, are wonderful clues as to what those values are. It's like listening to the vibrations emanating from the golden string that connects us at the heart.

Edit: I'm too tired to discern whether all that made any sense, I'll check in tomorrow morning.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Yes, this is very well put. I hasten to specify that for me, my attempts at re-creating my subjective experiences to others, is a way for me to connect with others. I put it out there, it resonates with others, thereby confirming my sense of kinship with humanity (we're not so different after all, if they can grasp and appreciate my experience on such a deep level). Their reaction/appreciation further solidifies my conviction that there are universal human values, and seeing which specific aspects from works of art people resonate to, are wonderful clues as to what those values are. It's like listening to the vibrations emanating from the golden string that connects us at the heart.

Edit: I'm too tired to discern whether all that made any sense, I'll check in tomorrow morning.

pfffft

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
As usual, an ENTP demonstrates his dazzling wit and formidable command of language.

You =
p026_1_00.jpg

Me =

Noon

[MENTION=5871]Southern Kross[/MENTION], [MENTION=7040]Forever_Jung[/MENTION]

Thanks for the responses.

Is it the same way when making something positive out of negative feelings that might otherwise overwhelm you? Have there ever been any feelings that you couldn't create anything out of?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Yes, resonance is a good word for it. :yes:

[MENTION=5871]Thanks for the responses.

Is it the same way when making something positive out of negative feelings that might otherwise overwhelm you?
There's no such thing as positive or negative feelings IMO :D. I mean, of course there are in objective terms (as a descriptor: eg. sad = negative, happy = positive), but I (and perhaps all INFPs) don't experience it that way. Deep, meaningful emotional truth is the focus and source of 'pleasure'. It doesn't matter if it's upbeat and life-affirming, or dark and harrowing, it still has a profound beauty to it. I don't want to get rid of dark feelings; I want to feel them. I want to experience the full weight of that emotional truth and convey that to others.

I can see what you're getting at though: the idea of art as emotional therapy or catharsis. I don't see that happening with INFPs. It would be like numbing yourself to the world and your ability to connect to it, which would probably inhibit creativity altogether. The goal is more to do with evoking and experiencing the feeling than resolving it. But then I am a 4 and INFPs with different enneatypes may feel differently.

Have there ever been any feelings that you couldn't create anything out of?
I'm not that prolific in my creative outputs, so I couldn't say. In theory, I think there's a way to evoke every feeling, it's just that some can be a lot harder than others. Lenore Thomson used this great analogy of this being like making a perfect spaghetti sauce. The INFP has a strong sensory image in her head of just how she wants it to taste before even starting. She then goes about trying to add the right ingredients and cooking it in just the right way; testing and adjusting the sauce over and over until the reality matches that image. Of course, sometimes it doesn't quite work out and she can't get it to match, which is always disappointing and frustrating.

I do find it thrilling when a song, a movie or a book manages to elicit a very abstract and complex impression/feeling/experience of the world. Especially when it's an impression that is rarely, if ever, addressed. It's one of my favourite things.

Noon

There's no such thing as positive or negative feelings IMO :D. I mean, of course there are in objective terms (as a descriptor: eg. sad = negative, happy = positive), but I (and perhaps all INFPs) don't experience it that way. Deep, meaningful emotional truth is the focus and source of 'pleasure'. It doesn't matter if it's upbeat and life-affirming, or dark and harrowing, it still has a profound beauty to it. I don't want to get rid of dark feelings; I want to feel them. I want to experience the full weight of that emotional truth and convey that to others.

I can see what you're getting at though: the idea of art as emotional therapy or catharsis. I don't see that happening with INFPs. It would be like numbing yourself to the world and your ability to connect to it, which would probably inhibit creativity altogether. The goal is more to do with evoking and experiencing the feeling than resolving it. But then I am a 4 and INFPs with different enneatypes may feel differently.

:yes: sort of. As a head type, feelings can be wild and disorienting for me until they have a narrative. It's common for me to have to systematize an experience and subsequently take it in again in that form, from the outside, in order to fully grasp and appreciate it. Then it's automatically comforting and harmonious and non-threatening since having things make sense in an ordered way is what brings me security.

So INFPs, or at least INFP 4s, do the opposite of this. Understood. That possibility never even crossed my mind, lol.

I'm not that prolific in my creative outputs, so I couldn't say. In theory, I think there's a way to evoke every feeling, it's just that some can be a lot harder than others. Lenore Thomson used this great analogy of this being like making a perfect spaghetti sauce. The INFP has a strong sensory image in her head of just how she wants it to taste before even starting. She then goes about trying to add the right ingredients and cooking it in just the right way; testing and adjusting the sauce over and over until the reality matches that image. Of course, sometimes it doesn't quite work out and she can't get it to match, which is always disappointing and frustrating.

I do find it thrilling when a song, a movie or a book manages to elicit a very abstract and complex impression/feeling/experience of the world. Especially when it's an impression that is rarely, if ever, addressed. It's one of my favourite things.

Thanks for this example :)

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

By evoking feelings and creative an immersive experience, that way the people engaging with my art might feel those things, too. It's about building an atmosphere out of images, sensations, and concepts that can lead people to feel this way or that way. I don't want to intrude in the narrative to say, "Hey, feel this."

Everything I make has to be true at its core. If it doesn't have a deeper meaning, there's no point. Under the artifice, the relationships, reactions, and insights have to be honest. I can lie about everything else, but my version of the truth has to underpin those lies.

Is it the same way when making something positive out of negative feelings that might otherwise overwhelm you? Have there ever been any feelings that you couldn't create anything out of?

I can't do this. Navigating feelings in real-time and using them for my art doesn't work. I've tried it with both poetry and fiction. When I do it, the piece turns into a melodramatic mess. It's like hauling a large fish onto a deck and trying to dissect it while it's alive and flopping. I just get slapped for my efforts, and what's left is a gross, dead thing I have to kick back into the ocean, anyway.

If I get enough distance, I can try to invoke that negative feeling in a new context or intermingled with other feelings. Occasionally, I want to write about a certain feeling. I can't portray it exactly as I experienced. The character and the story take precedence. My stories aren't stories about me. They're filtered through other situations and through another POV. My own experience serves as a gateway, not the destination.

I'm still a novice, but I don't think there are feelings or ideas I couldn't work through. Intense negative feelings take longer and require more effort. I don't write things that are easy, anyway.

The only way I could imagine the feelings themselves being useful to me is for a performance. Creating a mental space where those emotions well up inside me probably works better with singing or acting. (Not that I act.) Singing a weak area for me. In spite of that, wielding raw emotions feels natural there.

Elocute

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I've had good relations with two INFPs--until my opinions come in. I don't really get it. Some of it is esoteric and probably rooted in the individual, but why do I have to believe in illuminati theories and reptillian DNA when there are no obvious biological markers of such occuring. When I showed one this, he quickly went into how science was inefficient, yet he was using science in some fashion to reference DNA ?:shrug:

The other I met on a music site. Great relations until opinions, backed up by reason, were discussed. There was always the "you don't know for sure," yet that could be argued with anything. As I stated, it may just be something of these two and not the general INFP populace. If it is, please explain how and why this arises?

Noon

Thanks, [MENTION=18763]Ghost[/MENTION] :)

I really enjoyed the lit journals you recommended btw!

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've had good relations with two INFPs--until my opinions come in. I don't really get it. Some of it is esoteric and probably rooted in the individual, but why do I have to believe in illuminati theories and reptillian DNA when there are no obvious biological markers of such occuring. When I showed one this, he quickly went into how science was inefficient, yet he was using science in some fashion to reference DNA ?:shrug:

This one sounds unplanned, inconsistent, and overly insecure. Never bring a knife to a gun fight. This also goes for INFP. Thought processes aren't usually organized as they are when written; it's mostly improvised in person. We're known to be scatter brains.

The other I met on a music site. Great relations until opinions, backed up by reason, were discussed. There was always the "you don't know for sure," yet that could be argued with anything. As I stated, it may just be something of these two and not the general INFP populace. If it is, please explain how and why this arises?

INFP is one of few types that engage in discussion with an unfinalized conclusion. It's better to be uncertain than wrong. I hope I answered your question, because you didn't get into specifics.

Last edited:

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Sounds like crazy talk to me. :huh:

You'll find weirdo beliefs in any type. A ENTJ family friend of mine believes aliens built the pyramids and all sorts of other silly BS. If Te doms - supposed 'masters of objectivity' - can fall for that shit, any type can.

INFPs are Ji doms, so it makes them sceptical of (implicit or explicit) claims of objective knowledge. Personally, I will play the devil's advocate even when I agree with people if feel they are not exploring all the possible arguments or explanations. Any hint of narrow-mindedness or prejudice makes me feel compelled to pick at the issue until I drive people insane.

skippythecat

Enneagram
9w1
I want to say that I may sound angry but I am not. Only annoyed.

Why do infps (more specifically a friend of mine is an INFP) talk about "doing life together" but do not initiate to make it happen? I've always been the one to initiate (I'm not exaggerating one bit) in the past and still to this day, but I've learn to not give a dam* if it doesn't happen. Yes, I understand friendship changes and life gets busy-still I put effort to reaching out because I care about you! Perhaps I still give a dam*. I'm really tired of adjusting my communication and needs for people who don't put effort into their talk (and I notice it's a common behavior from Infps). I will say that some INFPs do well with keeping their words. Others? Not so much.

Please explain.

Sincerely,

skippythecat who loves Infps

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I want to say that I may sound angry but I am not. Only annoyed.

Why do infps (more specifically a friend of mine is an INFP) talk about "doing life together" but do not initiate to make it happen? I've always been the one to initiate (I'm not exaggerating one bit) in the past and still to this day, but I've learn to not give a dam* if it doesn't happen. Yes, I understand friendship changes and life gets busy-still I put effort to reaching out because I care about you! Perhaps I still give a dam*. I'm really tired of adjusting my communication and needs for people who don't put effort into their talk (and I notice it's a common behavior from Infps). I will say that some INFPs do well with keeping their words. Others? Not so much.

Please explain.

About 80% of the self-proclaimed INFP's I've met seemed genuinely interested in forming a strong bond but never even make it through the acquaintance stage because they all shared one specific characteristic: "self-obsession".

You'll notice these type of INFP's from the way they talk only about their pressing issues, and the conversation will never switch to any other topic but themselves. However, I've also met INFP's that were unwilling to talk about their problems at all, and wouldn't even if I pry it out of them. These are the type of INFP's I'm more inclined to get along with.

Please note that I'm not an exception from the "self-absorbed" bubble that INFP's possess, I'm just self-absorbed in other ways, such as, only doing what makes me happy, regardless of opposing criticism.

Sincerely,
skippythecat who loves Infps

love the person, not the idea.

skippythecat

Enneagram
9w1
About 80% of the self-proclaimed INFP's I've met seemed genuinely interested in forming a strong bond but never even make it through the acquaintance stage because they all shared one specific characteristic: "self-obsession".

You'll notice these type of INFP's from the way they talk only about their pressing issues, and the conversation will never switch to any other topic but themselves. However, I've also met INFP's that were unwilling to talk about their problems at all, and wouldn't even if I pry it out of them. These are the type of INFP's I'm more inclined to get along with.

Please note that I'm not an exception from the "self-absorbed" bubble that INFP's possess, I'm just self-absorbed in other ways, such as, only doing what makes me happy, regardless of opposing criticism.

Hmm now that I think about it I do hear it quite common. I have no problem hearing people talk about themselves, at least in that way I can absorb information and file them. This friend has been a friend for 7 years and another infj friend reconfirm that that's just how she is which I was hoping for a new picture of her because it's been 7 years. My new friends I know are willing to share problem and do life with me, and we've been friends for only 2 years.

love the person, not the idea.
Hmm the word people did came to my mind...

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Sounds like crazy talk to me. :huh:

You'll find weirdo beliefs in any type. A ENTJ family friend of mine believes aliens built the pyramids and all sorts of other silly BS. If Te doms - supposed 'masters of objectivity' - can fall for that shit, any type can.

My ex boyfriend is an ENTP, I am INFP and we both are very interested in the "Aliens and reptillians BS". Unfortunately, in our view, people who disregard alternative theories, do not question, do not think outside of the box and choose to follow commonly taught beliefs and theories are ridiculous. Maybe it is a xNxP trait, forever interested in the unknown. It is wrong to say I "believe" in conspiracy theories, I choose to give it as much attention and thorough research as I give mainstream news and knowledge. Conspiracy theorists are not lunatic with tin-foiled hats, and there are so many things out there are no longer "conspiracies", but proven reality. Knowledge are to be tested, over a long period of time. Your world could very much be just a "Truman Show" world. I don't disbelieve the revolution theory, but I don't laugh at an absolutely strange theory.

Lots of INFPs I know are super religious. Many other INFPs, including myself, are absolutely agnostic.

My current boyfriend is an ISTJ, he's supposed to be logical and settled with the "rational" explanation of the world, right? But he's an agnostic and does not find conspiracy theories and the unknown revolting.

Types do not really explain everything.

Elocute

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
My ex boyfriend is an ENTP, I am INFP and we both are very interested in the "Aliens and reptillians BS". Unfortunately, in our view, people who disregard alternative theories, do not question, do not think outside of the box and choose to follow commonly taught beliefs and theories are ridiculous. Maybe it is a xNxP traits, forever interested in the unknown. It is wrong to say I "believe" in conspiracy theories, I choose to give it as much attention and thorough research as I give mainstream news and knowledge. Conspiracy theorists are not lunatic with tin-foiled hats, and there are so many things out there are no longer "conspiracies", but proven reality. Knowledge are to be tested, over a long period of time. Your world could very much be just a "Truman Show" world. I don't disbelieve the revolution theory, but I don't laugh at a absolutely strange theories.

Lots of INFPs I know are super religious. Many other INFPs, including myself, are absolutely agnostic.

My current boyfriend is an ISTJ, he's supposed to be logical and settled with the "rational" explanation of the world, right? But he's an agnostic and does not find conspiracy theories and the unknown revolting.

Types do not really explain everything.

I like conspiracy theories as well. My favority show of all time is the X-Files. However, I don't know how to accept things such as reptillian creatures. I've seen proponents of this idea use video clips in which the pupil of the "reptillian" appears to conform to a vertically oval shape. This is actually caused by interlace issues; the white of the eye moves, and before the cycle refreshes the new image, you see a "blended" image. Notice that it normally happens on web-cams or older HD recordings; they use interlace far more. This is used a lot to "corroborate" the theory

If one of its basic premises is a falsification or a miscontruction of reality, why should I give it the same amount of attention as something more likely to be true? I do believe in cryptids, but in their case, they remain pretty much unfalsifiable. With this reptillian eye stuff, it's already been properly discounted. Why would you continue with this idea when such a central part is based off of interlace issues and no current evidence? Icke to me sounds like a fantastic sci-fi novelist.

I'm an agnostic theist, btw. I don't think it'd be uncommon for ISTJs to be agnostic or not find alternate theories revolting. That would be more akin to an ISTJ who is ignoring their Te, IMO. Te needs to validate or repudiate Si/Ni. Since Si/Ni are impressionistic, they need time to sort out "truth." If he did research and found the interlace issues, lack of cold-blooded featurs and the like, I'd think he'd move on quickly.

Do you have any actual evidence that coincides with this theory?

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like conspiracy theories as well. My favority show of all time is the X-Files. However, I don't know how to accept things such as reptillian creatures. I've seen proponents of this idea use video clips in which the pupil of the "reptillian" appears to conform to a vertically oval shape. This is actually caused by interlace issues; the white of the eye moves, and before the cycle refreshes the new image, you see a "blended" image. Notice that it normally happens on web-cams or older HD recordings; they use interlace far more. This is used a lot to "corroborate" the theory

If one of its basic premises is a falsification or a miscontruction of reality, why should I give it the same amount of attention as something more likely to be true? I do believe in cryptids, but in their case, they remain pretty much unfalsifiable. With this reptillian eye stuff, it's already been properly discounted. Why would you continue with this idea when such a central part is based off of interlace issues and no current evidence? Icke to me sounds like a fantastic sci-fi novelist.

I'm an agnostic theist, btw. I don't think it'd be uncommon for ISTJs to be agnostic or not find alternate theories revolting. That would be more akin to an ISTJ who is ignoring their Te, IMO. Te needs to validate or repudiate Si/Ni. Since Si/Ni are impressionistic, they need time to sort out "truth." If he did research and found the interlace issues, lack of cold-blooded featurs and the like, I'd think he'd move on quickly.

Do you have any actual evidence that coincides with this theory?

I actually sort of agree with your point.
Back when my ex ENTP and I were doing our researches, I did find many things that raised doubts and questions; I did not feel settled any more with what had always appeared "more likely to be true" my whole life. But unlike my ex, I, say, doubt everything, I've doubt what I see/hear on the news, and I'd doubt many of the alternative theories I've got exposed to too. My ex, on the other hand, would believe in anything, and this "reptilian eyes" thing was one of the many things we argued about as I found it petty and ridiculous, and he pissed me off on numerous occasions by telling me i was "closed minded". For me, one should leave rooms for doubts, always.

Extraterrestrial Intelligence I have done extensive research on. Time traveling, worm holes, HAARP and chem-trails, etc I have been exposed to many documented evidences. Assassinations, governmental secrecy, hidden agendas, secret societies, GMOs, cures for cancer and AIDS, human/celebrities sacrifices and so on so forth, for me they're no longer "conspiracies", there are hard proves and evidence. People just don't care enough to gather their own information, the truths get under their skin.

Different from the ENTP ex, I keep my knowledge to myself and adjust my view of life and living while he enjoys spreading his understandings and "knowledge", sometimes opposing. Let's say, it's like a Buddhist oath, you don't preach what you witness or hear, what you know or believe in, it is in everyone's destiny to seek and pursuit their own truths. So I would usually decline discussing "conspiracy theories" with people who have opposite views. It's like an agnostic/atheist having a conversation about whether or not God is real with a devoted Christian, it leads to no where but destructive arguments.

And I'm an X-Files fan too, and Mulder is quite an INFP isn't he lol. The shows had several very interesting episodes that are worth dwelling into, while lots were just purely fictional/entertaining.