• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ Moodiness

faith

MBTI Type
INFJ
Yeah, I have to eat. If I do not and my blood sugar gets low, I get shaky and irritable. Protein is my friend.

I'm like that, too.

I don't always feel exceedingly hungry with the standard rumbly stomach, so sometimes it creeps up on me. Then I'm suddenly irritable and my head's hurting and I can't figure out why I'm so shaky. Eating usually remedies this.

The only time I feel sad or depressed after eating is when I've spent a good deal of money on a fancy meal. Then I think, "I would have been just as full if I'd cooked veggies at home, and I could have spent that money on something that lasts longer than 30 minutes."

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Question for INFJs:

How does eating affect your mood swings? I'm not talking about binge-eating or comfort-eating but a physiological reaction that entails regular eating; one that leaves you kind of down afterwards.

If I'm anxious, I have problems eating. If I don't eat, I get very irritable & I'm prone to mood swings.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I'm anxious i don't eat and have lost quite a bit of weight in the past. It might put me in a bad mood, but i'm usually way too droopy to act on it. Sometimes I get extremely passive after a bout with anxiety. I go from getting detached from myself and can be almost robot like, to overboard sad, to paralyzed with anxiety, to droopy and apathetic. The extremely passive apathy almost feels good in a bittersweet acceptance kind of way. I only show those moments of intense vulnerability to someone i am trying to learn to trust. Then I get upset when I feel shut out. That's my primary "bad" mood, but it doesn't happen that often. Mostly when there are layers of anxiety poured onto other layers. There is a breaking point where my thinking falls apart and I rehearse the worst case scenario of rejection. I work to put systems in place to avoid those breakdowns.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I am not very moody unless stressed, and I have weird things that stress me out so I can be randomly moody at some point in time for seemingly no reason. One of the biggest ways to stress me out is to make me feel like I am "wasting time". If I feel like I am wasting time I go completely nuts; like sitting a long boring meeting where nothing is being accomplished (like I had to do tonight for 2 hours).

Alchemist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Sometimes it helps to notice your physiology if your mood swings in a direction you don't particularly enjoy. I used to fly off the handle a lot until I began to stop and notice what was happening: my body would tense up everywhere. I had to relax first, then exhale. Then I'd hold a smile for ten seconds or more and the negative emotion would be gone. Granted, the first few times I did this, I felt like a silly ape, but it seems to work. Also, putting a more positive context on the situation helps.

If that's not enough, I do silly gestures accompanied with auditory stimulation: air guitar, throwing up my arms and jumping in the air yelling out "America! F*CK YEAH!!!", balling up one hand and doing the "yes!" gesture, or mimicking martial arts moves and pretending to be Neo from the Matrix. Of course, not everyone is so animated and eccentric, so I hope smiling for ten seconds and changing the way you think helps.

Thinking can build momentum. If you start small and make yourself laugh, your mind automatically starts digging up other similar things. What's good about right now? (I use "awesome", but that's a personal preference.) When was the last funny event in your life? How many sexual references are in Aladdin?

A sense of humour helps a lot. And oh, do I mean a lot.

-A

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Today, I dismembered a horde of rival ninjas while singing "Sunshine on my Shoulders".

But I'm not moody. No no. WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT?!

:D

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Today, I dismembered a horde of rival ninjas while singing "Sunshine on my Shoulders".

But I'm not moody. No no. WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT?!

:D

Pink Pirahna! Holy-moley! How's it going? :hug:

We've missed you around here. And you've missed a whole lotta drama.

Jae Rae

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it's the Ni and the Fe combined... One thing will irritate me, which will lead me to think of all these little connections that also irritate me, and then I'll just STEW in my irritation.

definitely, i just start seeing the connections between everything and this larger more unstoppable Big Picture starts to come into focus where it is pointless, meaningless, vapid empty void. and the unceasing self-destruction, the symbolic and literal violence going on all around me and dragging the world into a downward spiral of self-loathing and swimming pool nihilism...

and then i realize damn, it's just green beans for dinner. it's really not that big of a deal... tho i do hate them green beans.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I pretty sure this will be my death, an INFJ biting off my head. She already tried once, but I had the higher ground that time, so she couldnt reach out for the head :D

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
we prefer fingers, toes, noses, and ears. the cartilage is very savory.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Yeah I figured she wanted to go for the ear and then focussed on the toes, due to the ears being out of reach. But she didnt count into her equations my emergency escape rocket, which propelled me out of the country in no time.

So the only thing left for her was her smut-blackened face :D

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Sorry for bumping such an old thread but this post struck a chord because it describes me PERFECTLY

From my experience INFJs can have big problems reconciling their inner world view with that of the outer reality. If they are peaceful and humane they can view the world as a cold & cruel place. They are hopeless idealists who'd die for a good cause but cannot understand/internalise that some things cannot or will not be changed and get *moody* (at best). They hate injustice and feel other's pain accutely. The resultant moods can feed on themselves and a "pull yourself together" argument will earn you a slap!

My wife is an INFJ and recently had to sack someone at work who happened to be incompetant (to say the least). She *felt sorry* for the man and sacking him caused her great upset. Whereas I wouln't have lost a wink of sleep over it!

I thought I was an INTP for a long time, then an INTJ. But I was always bugged by all the various INTJ profiles I read because although a lot of it fit me some didn't and this is one of them. I think that my Asperger's Syndrome mislead me for a long time that I couldn't have a strong Fe, but now that I think about it the Fe was always there. INFJs and INTPs both have Ti and Fe, so that would explain that.

janey_girl

MBTI Type
INtJ
If I am
  • tired
  • hungry
  • hot
  • need to pee
  • overstimulated
  • in physical discomfort/sick
  • in the middle of something
  • feeling unappreciated
  • around someone who is being emotional
I'm going to get cranky.

I vent, gripe, and rant a lot, but it's just my way of working through things and not a big deal. It shouldn't be taken too seriously (though don't dismiss what I'm saying if you want to be allowed to live).

DITTO!!!!

I have what I consider my "inner teenager" when I have a mood swing... I am vile, truly vile - nobody knows how to handle me and it is very difficult. I know if I am losing perspective but don't know how to "let it out" without taking everyone with it....

I need a bit of alone time quiet a good shout, a good cry, some chocolate and "Presidents" playing on my CD player (it is very difficult to remain angry after listening to "Dune buggy"!).... At that time, people are not going to help - I've had the "don't get upset" crowd who get the fullness of my "tantrum", the "I understand" crowd who get the same, the ones who argue back or give me the silent treatment or do anything get it...

I've had no space for a while and keep cracking because I'm always "on show" at the moment and find it exhausting!

lane777

nevermore
Moody for me, means disheartened; I will never get snappy, cold, or difficult. I simply become apathetic for a short period and withdrawal. So really, my moods go unnoticed. If I'm in this mood, I can handle to be with others. I just won't be very responsive. I'll be, "meh," about everything.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yup yup, I've been battling the mood swings all my life. My recommendations:

1. Cut time with people who annoy you.
2. Force yourself to keep your mouth shut when you want to snap. Mentally count 10, or 20, or whatever.
2. Eat nutritious food on schedule (like, plan meals and eat at set times). It does make a difference if you eat junk erratically. Give your blood sugar a chance.
3. Set a time limit on rumination. Like, 20 minutes. (You can think about it again tomorrow but for now, that's all.)
3. Make sure you get enough sleep.
4. Put music in your ears.
5. Stop watching the news.
6. Try the pill. Some of it is definitely hormonal.

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I guess I've been ignorant about my moodiness because I'm the first to deny it when it occurs. I'm told that I can be moody, but I don't see it. Sure I have my agitated moments, but I like to think I'm in partial control of my temperament overall.

Lightyear

Moody for me, means disheartened; I will never get snappy, cold, or difficult. I simply become apathetic for a short period and withdrawal. So really, my moods go unnoticed. If I'm in this mood, I can handle to be with others. I just won't be very responsive. I'll be, "meh," about everything.

That sounds like me. I can have several moodswings while being around people and be upset one moment and on top of the world the next but they often won't notice because I keep it to myself. However when I am in a bad, annoyed mood already and you say the wrong thing the anger underneath might come to the surface for a split second and I might become a bit snappy. However I often feel immediately bad after that.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mood swings affects eating... eating does not affect mood swings.

I don't see how regular eating makes you feel "down".

It could if you eat lots of Bourbon cake! hehe..