User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: INFJ Moodiness

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
    I was into weight lifting in high school, but it wasn't until I started doing cardio and kept at it for more than two months regularly that I think it started affecting my mood.
    YIKES! TWO MONTHS :horor: ?? Exercise makes me horribly tired, there is NO WAY I'm going to stick at it for two months to see if maybe something changes by then

Exercise works like a charm on my ENFJ husband, though. But me... Nope

MBTI
    INFJ

Well, don't let me discourage you I've heard stories from other people who saw improvement in way less time.

I just think I had a particularly hard case to get rid of.

If I feel tired after working out I find I usually pushed myself too hard. Maybe you should try to lower the amount of time you are exercising at first or reduce the intensity and build up from there.

Quote Originally Posted by quietgirl
    Interesting article... I can see how that ties into the Ni Perfectionism that seems to plague many INFJ's. I'm constantly setting goals and working towards them - which is usually a blessing, but I suppose is also a curse. In contrast, do you feel you experience a similar sort of depression inducing perfectionism as a Ti Dominant? I wonder if the chaotic, unstable nature of Ni contributes to the swings & we just express it more as moodiness because of our Fe auxillary.
    Good insight about Ni! (Oh the irony!)

This was true for me at one time. The realization that I was setting nonconscious goals came about after reading this study, actually. I had to learn to objectify and analyze the goals I was setting for myself internally without conscious thought--quite a challenge!

I used to use my less-developed Ni way too much, due to being an unbalanced introvert. Ti did play a supporting role in evaluating that I was not meeting the ideals generated by Ni. I kept my much more developed Ne bottled up! When I balanced more toward extraversion, my Ne was expressed to the point that I started to wonder what the heck was wrong with me! I am much happier now, and rarely go into brief periods of "depression" in which I attempted to introspect myself into complete mental paralysis.

Ni: wonders
    Ne: explores and finds out

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
    I just think I had a particularly hard case to get rid of.
    Which must be what I've got too, since exercise has somehow *never* worked for me Well, not since I stopped it in my early teens. Since then, whenever I try to start it up again, it's Operation Disaster every time.

If I feel tired after working out I find I usually pushed myself too hard. Maybe you should try to lower the amount of time you are exercising at first or reduce the intensity and build up from there.
    Doing less would be called doing nothing

But thanks for the encouragement anyway

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

I am pretty moody--well... not that I'm prone to huge mood swings, but I'm just really an irritable person. It embarrasses me, really. OVERALL, I am a pretty reasonable person, but I can be really easy to annoy. I think it's the Ni and the Fe combined... One thing will irritate me, which will lead me to think of all these little connections that also irritate me, and then I'll just STEW in my irritation.

I'm not dramatic about it, though. I don't rant and rave, usually. My moods are pretty even keel until I get annoyed, and then I get a snappy, shut down, and am really better off if I am left totally alone. It's still an awful party-killer, though.

As I think about this and read people's suggestions, I think that I am going to start trying to be more conscious about my moods. The next time I'm irritable, if I can remember, I think that I'll just go for a walk or run it out instead of letting it poison my interactions with people.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I'm late to the discussion, QuietGirl, but I wanted you to know that as an eNFJ, I'm similarly afflicted. My moods can swing wildly in a very short span (sometimes so short that it startles even me). Not that I'm a crazed lunatic or taking people hostage with them, I just mean to say that I can pass through several corridors of sensation in such an abrupt space that it feels almost schizophrenic in it's ability to go from hot to cold and back again. Mostly it's because I feel so jacked into others and the overarching mood that *I'm* the one who can be taken hostage. My father, a true INFJ, seems to at least be able to shunt a feeling aside with his primary Ni, while I'm left exposed to what ever happens to come down the pike.

My ENFP twin says that I can be a moody little crabbypants. I try to extrovert my thoughts as much as possible so she won't feel like I've had a shift on her no apparent reason. She can follow WHY I've had a shift and can sympathize, but I really have to work on snaffling the Fe or avoiding things that I know will provoke shift after shift. Knowing my inability to disconnect, it's necessary. Jenny says I'm not an INFJ, but I'm "close enough". lol Heeeeey!! :-p
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INFJ

My husband took it to the next stage, Pink: he's gone rapid-cycling bipolar Absolutely exhausting to live with when he doesn't take his meds :horor:

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I think it's the Ni and the Fe combined... One thing will irritate me, which will lead me to think of all these little connections that also irritate me, and then I'll just STEW in my irritation.
    This is exactly what happens to me.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I've read about this INFJ moodiness from a few people in here, but I've never come across with such behavior in real life. Then again, I haven't identified many INFJs in the first place.

One freakishly moody woman I know I've first suspected to be an ESFJ, then altered my perception of her to ISFJ. Granted, that's not that far from INFJ. Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    NICE

From my experience INFJs can have big problems reconciling their inner world view with that of the outer reality. If they are peaceful and humane they can view the world as a cold & cruel place. They are hopeless idealists who'd die for a good cause but cannot understand/internalise that some things cannot or will not be changed and get *moody* (at best). They hate injustice and feel other's pain accutely. The resultant moods can feed on themselves and a "pull yourself together" argument will earn you a slap!

My wife is an INFJ and recently had to sack someone at work who happened to be incompetant (to say the least). She *felt sorry* for the man and sacking him caused her great upset. Whereas I wouln't have lost a wink of sleep over it!