• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF & Marriage

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
The following questions are meant to be fluff. I doubt I will find any pattern amongst the NF's and love with these questions (yet you never know!) Still, curious how you guys feeeel about the following:

1) Do you see marriage as one of your life goals? (Distant or soon)

2) Would you prefer to be proposed to, or propose?

3) If you were planning a wedding, what kind of wedding would you want? Elopement? Big celebration? Small gathering with close friends and family?

4) Would you be okay with your partner picking out the ring and surprising you? Or would you rather have some say in it?

5) Would you marry someone you met in the last 2 yrs if "it felt right"?

6) Do you think people should live together before marrying?

7) Would you ever marry someone you had not slept with?

8) Are you a skeptic or optomist of marriage? Do you think the odds are good of finding someone you want to marry?

9) How would you feel about marrying someone that had been married before? Would you put up with X-wives or husband or children from a previous marriage?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
1) yes

2) proposed to

3) small gathering or elopement

4) I would be happy if he picked it out.

5) yes

6) yes

7) hell no

8) meh...I dunno...I'm hopeful?

9) ex-wife is okay, but I'd rather they didn't have children from a previous relationship

A

Anew Leaf

1- yes, but only if I meet the right kind of person (ie marriage is something that I would want with someone special, not with just anyone); as soon as it felt right.
2- I iz girl and I want to be proposed to (hopefully in an interesting way)
3- ideally elope to Australia to get married during a solar eclipse, but most likely a small gathering of my loved ones. (I hate being stared at)
4- I want the band and gem to form a comet.
5- yes
6- at my age, I don't think it would be a big of a deal as when I was in my early 20s
7- maybe. I set up two friends on a date... 3 weeks later he proposed, and they had a 5 month engagement. They decided to wait because it was something special and everything was moving so damn fast anyways :D
8- optimistic. My parents were in love for 39 years and were a good role model for me
9- I am not sure I can say accurately. It would be much easier and preferable for the not to be... But my main goal is to find someone special... And everything else is just life that needs to be dealt with.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
1) Not consciously. I mean, yes, I want in a lasting relationship one day, and I would want to marry her one day probably, but the marriage itself is not a life goal, love is.

2) I don't know. I mean, there is some social pressure in it because the man is usually supposed to be the one to ask, but I think it is both ok?

3) From my perspective, it would be probably a small gathering with close friends and family (elopement would have its charm too). Of course she would have a voice too though ^^

4) I would be ok with it I think. Actually I like the idea even.

5) Hah, well, it seems a bit hard to imagine, because I don't think I would go very easily / quick into a relationship itself already, so 2 years seems a bit short. I am not sure on that question. Assuming it would "feel right"... who knows? Usually I would doubt it though.

6) I guess it would be ideal, because you should be somewhat sure before a marriage that you want that marriage, and living together seems like a big step, and so if you didn't do it before marriage, you don't really know how you would get along with it.

7) Didn't see that question coming... I myself am not a virgin because I want to wait until marriage, but because I am only willing to go into a relationship with a girl / woman I would really love. If I would find that relationship, I would probably want it already before marriage, but it would probably not be so important to me that I couldn't wait; after all I could wait all the years so far :laugh: The only problem is the psychological aspect in it that I would wonder if she finds me attractive / loves me genuinely, and if it just her beliefs that make her wait or if she shouldn't love me so much that she at least is tempted to "just do it". It is a bit of a dilemma which I don't know how I would react in if it really happened. I wouldn't rule either of it out. But if I really loved her, from my perspective now I wouldn't rule it out.

8) I think it depends totally on the couple, under what circumstances they chose that marriage and how they treat and feel each other. I think marriage can be something very good, but it can be also very bad, but I would like to individualize every case rather than generalize it, because it is an intimate thing. If I can find someone I want to marry, I don't know. I am still rather young, so I guess I have my chances, but on the other hand I am very late on the relationship thing in general; I am a very lonely person, and while I have not given up hope that it will be one time different, sometimes things look grim to me.

9) Difficult question really. I guess you can answer that question only if you are really in such a situation, because feelings would just influence the whole decision making. My rationality says though I should stay away from a person who was already in a marriage. I don't think also I would want to go into a relationship with a person which has already children in general.

P

Phantonym

Marriage as a life goal? Absolutely not. I get a strong negative feeling about this "life goal", like it's all one should ever strive for and nothing else. I cannot say that about marriage. But would I like to get married some day? Yes.

Of course I would love to have the knight in shining armour whisk me away and have the kind of romantic gesture and a proposal that would make the most prolific writers of romance novels blush in shame of their imagination and writing skills. But this is reality. I'd prefer to be proposed to but I don't think I'd have any problems with proposing myself.

3) If you were planning a wedding, what kind of wedding would you want? Elopement? Big celebration? Small gathering with close friends and family?

Me, him, the official doing the official stuff, beautiful setting. No parties, no people, just us, it's our day.

4) Would you be okay with your partner picking out the ring and surprising you? Or would you rather have some say in it?

I'd rather have some say in it. But I'd like to have a surprise as well. He could get creative and do something funny, like get some inexpensive materials and make the ring himself. And after that, we could go and pick a ring we both like and that would actually fit my finger. :D But I'm not really a fan of rings, so I'd most likely keep the DIY ring as a sentimental keepsake and go without a ring. It's the thought that matters most of all.

Yes. I've always wondered about that. There are absolutely no guarantees. It doesn't matter how long you've known each other, things could still go either way. So, I think I'd rather take the plunge and do it.

I guess so, just to get used to each other's habits and arrangements. But considering Q5, I think I might feel the same way about this as well. It might not be smooth running from the start, but if you are willing to make things work, it doesn't really matter how long you've known each other or what kind of arrangements you've had before marriage.

Hm, I guess not. Sex is such a huge part of a relationship, I don't think it could be equalled to knowing somebody for a long time or living together with them before marriage and trying to work things out with those. Sure, you can learn and all that, but if sex is not happening at all then it's really not happening at all, and being stuck in a relationship where sex is just not working out is...quite bad. I don't think I'd be willing to risk that and take the plunge in this case. But never say never.

8) Are you a skeptic or optomist of marriage? Do you think the odds are good of finding someone you want to marry?

I am optimistic about it. I've never felt a desperate need to be with somebody or to marry and have kids and stuff like that. I think that my odds of being happy in life, no matter what it includes, are just as good as anybody else's. :)

9) How would you feel about marrying someone that had been married before? Would you put up with X-wives or husband or children from a previous marriage?

Depends on the person. If it turns out that he's had dozens of children with multiple women, then I'd have serious questions about the sustainability of our marriage. If I wanted to be with that person, I don't really have choice but to put up with them, do I? I'd make efforts to organize our life in a way that everybody would at least have the chance to feel happy about things.

Considering my age group, I don't think I'd be able to avoid men with previous baggage in the form of an ex-wife(wives) and kids. Unless I'd go with somebody several years younger than me. :tongue:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Not really. In many ways I've always had trouble wrapping my head around being with someone for life - not that I wouldn't commit myself completely once I took that step, but that I feel like it's almost inevitable with most people that over time divergence will happen. So marriage has historically always seemed kind of scary to me, rather than something I absolutely must have.

BUT I've always been driven towards long term relationships and finding someone I really love - and really building upon that relationship. So I am definitely open to marriage with the right guy - the guy I want in my life for the long haul.

Proposed to.

As I grow older, any sort of formal ceremony is starting to seem sillier to me; plus I really don't like the idea of being the 'star'/focus of attention for an entire day. eek! haha.

But, I do think a small gathering of close friends and family would still be nice (and on my side at least, that would probably only amount to about 20 total people!), or else elopement.

I think so. The partner I would be with would know me and would have good taste anyway ;), so yeah, I think I'd like the surprise.

Sure - 2 years of getting to know someone is long enough imo to know whether or not I REALLY see myself being with them for life. In fact, I've always tended to end relationships fairly early on (within first 6 months) if I know I don't see them in the long run; just cut my losses (and theirs) early on. So anyone who hit the 1 or 2 year mark would be a pretty good match. And if I were still with them at that point, it would mean I really love and value them and want them in my life.

I waffle on this. I think it would add additional knowledge/insight into the other person - in everyday matters - earlier on, prior to making the commitment, so it seems to make more sense to me -- rather than being blindsided by a lot of that and having a higher-stress first year of marriage. On the other hand, it could also just make things uber-comfortable so that marriage never happens, and it's not like you can't glean a lot of that knowledge by simply dating and spending half your time at the other persons' place. :shrug:

For me personally, I lean towards living together only once engaged, or else after marrying.

Definitely not.

I think the odds are good of finding someone to marry, yes. Despite how few and far between those guys are. But the ones I DO find - yes, absolutely. Are the odds good of it lasting a lifetime? I cannot say. Like I said above, I would go into it for a lifetime. But I wouldn't stay in it if 20 years down the line one or both of us was miserable and wasting away, and something or other was insurmountable (and believe me, I'd put my all into it prior to ending - it's not like I'd take that lightly). Who can say what all will happen over a span of decades?

I think I'd be fine with people who have married before; I mean, I have dated divorcees. I wouldn't have a high level of toleration of exes who were still actively on the scene, though (i.e. boundaries aren't established/maintained) and I am not enthused about step kids. (and while in dating modes in the past, wouldn't pursue any guys who had kids. Nothing against them, I just don't want the added complexities in my relationship)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1) i think it's so very sweet yes...love the image of two old people laughing and talking with each other like best friends...still in love...god...it's just beautiful. my great grand parents were this way.. together for like 80 years...and the way they looked at each other...

2) proposed to

3) small with friends and family...on the beach

4) i'd prefer that he know what i like and surprise me with it

5) yes...i have to be really really sure tho...i think i might want to do premarital counseling even

6) yes absolutely

7) absolutely not

8) delusional optimist...as always

9) yeah for sure...you gotta love the whole person and accept the life experiences they have had up to this point

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
1) Do you see marriage as one of your life goals? A more distant life goal, but not absolutely necessary for my happiness

2) Would you prefer to be proposed to, or propose? Despite aggressively taking control of other forms of romancing, I'd prefer to be proposed to. However, I'm easy to please.

3) If you were planning a wedding, what kind of wedding would you want? Elopement? Big celebration? Small gathering with close friends and family? Moderately-sized wedding. Close friends and family. I'd be more concerned about getting my distant, close friends out for it than having a hoard of random family members/acquaintances.

4) Would you be okay with your partner picking out the ring and surprising you? Or would you rather have some say in it? Depends on the partner lol. If I trust their taste and understanding of what I like (or if I wouldn't care in the slightest), then I'd gladly let it be a surprise.

5) Would you marry someone you met in the last 2 yrs if "it felt right"? No.

6) Do you think people should live together before marrying? Yes, most definitely. You need a sense of yourself and the other person- and the whole of the both of you.

7) Would you ever marry someone you had not slept with? Probably not.

8) Are you a skeptic or optomist of marriage? Do you think the odds are good of finding someone you want to marry? If it is in just finding someone I'd want to marry- the odds are ridiculously good. If it is in finding someone it would actually work with- the odds are very iffy. I would say that in regard to anyone though. I already know the choices I'd make and who they would involve 'in a perfect world'. Realist? lol

9) How would you feel about marrying someone that had been married before? Would you put up with X-wives or husband or children from a previous marriage? I wouldn't fault someone for previously being married. However, I wouldn't want to deal with children. They aren't part of my plan.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
The following questions are meant to be fluff. I doubt I will find any pattern amongst the NF's and love with these questions (yet you never know!) Still, curious how you guys feeeel about the following:

no
neither
judge in court the end
i don't care
fuck no
if i've known them 2 years yes
good idea
neither, it's not for me, but it is for others
not still hung up on their ex i don't see i problem,

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yes, it definitely was a goal before I got married. Now, the goal part has morphed into sustaining the marriage (Not that it's hard, usually. But it does take work).

Be proposed to.

Ours was small, and I liked that a lot. It took place in my parents' backyard with about 50 guests, and then we had a dinner and reception at an Irish pub, with about 60 people.

I told my spouse what kind of ring I wanted. I had a very particular design that I liked, and honestly I'd never seen any other wedding/engagement rings that I really liked at all. So this was the only choice, really. ;) My wedding band looks almost exactly the same as the engagement ring, except without the diamond and it is slightly wider. Husband's wedding band has the same pattern but it is much wider and two-tone.

Yes.

I think it's a personal choice, but for me it was a good idea.

Potentially, yeah.

8) Are you a skeptic or optomist of marriage?
Optimist

I'd rather not, and luckily I don't have to. :)

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Thanks for responces so far! I just find it interesting to see how different NF's view the whole ordeal.
I'm going to answer my own questions now, haha.

By life goal I wasn't referring to life purpose, I just meant something that deep down you always knew you'd want, eventually. I did NOT think marriage was a life goal for me for my late teens and most of my twenties. Infact, I was strongly opposed to it for some time (for me.) I saw marriage as confining and outdated. THe concept of waking up to the same face forever was terrifying. It probably had alot to do with the grass is greener bit. But in the last few years, seeing enough married couples, I began to realize that marriage was not the end, and that it has alot of benefits. I now consider it a life goal.

I would prefer to be proposed to, and in some unique way too.

I used to think that if I ever did tie the knot I'd rather elope or go small, but the more I think of it, the more I feel like getting my ass into an alter will be quite extraordinary, and should maybe be celebrated with a huge party. I think I would go large but informal.

4) Would you be okay with your partner picking out the ring and surprising you? Or would you rather have some say in it? I'd be okay with it ONLY if he has some kind of insight on what I like. Surprises are cool, but I'll give up the surprise to not have to sport a ring on my hand that I hate for the rest of days.

Probably not. Because I've had a few LT relations, I think the first two years are often fluff. Things are still pretty exciting, both parties usually putting their best foot forward, and I find that the real meat of the relation comes out after this stage. I want to know how things are going to be when the cards are down, when one of us is depressed or loses a job or gains 20lbs. When you can handle those aspects well, then marriage is probably a good choice.

Absolutely, for me. I've often said that you don't reallyknow someone until you've lived with them.

No way Jose, this is too important to leave to chance.

8) Are you a skeptic or optimist of marriage? Do you think the odds are good of finding someone you want to marry?
I think I am a realist. I have seen alot of people rush in and lose. But I am an optimist in the sense that the more you know yourself and the other person, the better odds you have. Part of the reason I'm a fan of waiting. I was a completely different person at 21, and then at 25, etc. I am optimisitc about my odds to find the right person.

I would really, really prefer that someone didn't have that previous stuff going on. I would want the experience to be just as new and exciting for both of us. I might be okay with it but ONLY if they were very civil to eachother, and had completely resolved all visitation, childsupport, etc.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I answered the questions but I don't think I am really the target demographic here.

1) Do you see marriage as one of your life goals? (Distant or soon) I am married now so not really a goal.

2) Would you prefer to be proposed to, or propose? Doesn't really matter either way. My wife and I kind of proposed to each other.

3) If you were planning a wedding, what kind of wedding would you want? Elopement? Big celebration? Small gathering with close friends and family? Elope to a Caribbean resort.

4) Would you be okay with your partner picking out the ring and surprising you? Or would you rather have some say in it? Don't really care.

5) Would you marry someone you met in the last 2 yrs if "it felt right"? Sure, assuming some world where I am not already married.

6) Do you think people should live together before marrying? If they want to.

7) Would you ever marry someone you had not slept with? I did.

8) Are you a skeptic or optomist of marriage? Do you think the odds are good of finding someone you want to marry? 100% odds.

9) How would you feel about marrying someone that had been married before? Would you put up with X-wives or husband or children from a previous marriage? Could be awkward I guess. I don't know.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i consider myself an optimist/realist about marriage. i would very much like to get married at some point, but i am patiently waiting for the right person before pushing into anything. i know i've already met someone i would marry - and someone who wants to marry me - the problem is finding mutual desire, lol! i suspect i will end up being proposed to, though it could be fun to propose. i just happen to move emotionally quickly in relationships, so letting them propose is a way of not rushing things.

that's one reason i'm optimistic about marriage - i tend to form very close emotional bonds with people and strive to maintain them. the prospect of a permanent relationship is one that makes me feel warm and fuzzy. i also am happy to have them choose the ring... as long as it's something i like! i tend to think i would not consider marrying anyone who did not understand my "style". i would like a big celebration - not necessarily in terms of people, but fancy decoration, excellent food, beautiful atmosphere, etc. i love love love planning and it's a great excuse to have a party.

i definitely would not marry someone i met within 2 years. i like to know people fairly well before i even enter any kind of proper relationship with them, much less marriage. maybe we could get engaged a couple more years down the road, but i think i'd want to know someone for at least a good 4 years before we even get engaged. because, really, what's the rush? if we love each other that much we should just be properly happy together regardless. (however - i think this mindset is a cop-out.) also, i think people should definitely live together, but sleeping together isn't as big of a deal. sex is more like a sport - easier to improve at together - than daily routines.

an ex and kids isn't really ideal, but if it happens, it happens. i'm more down with step-kids than with an ex. exes... ugh. i've had several good friends with parents who went through divorce while we were growing up and i know that shit ain't always pretty. but if you fall in love with someone, what can you do :)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
1) Do you see marriage as one of your life goals? (Distant or soon) -- Not at all.. I've said before that marriage is an absolutely scary concept for me.. and that agreeing to such a thing would be the greatest act I could do for someone I was in love with.. It is about as far on my list as "retiring" is for teenagers.

2) Would you prefer to be proposed to, or propose? -- I'd prefer being proposed to, after we've extensively talked about things like "when we're to be married", if we're capable of affording it, etc. I don't want to be engaged for 30 years. :laugh: It'd be a planned thing for me, not at all a surprise. I'd prefer to surprise others with such a thing.

3) If you were planning a wedding, what kind of wedding would you want? Elopement? Big celebration? Small gathering with close friends and family? -- I think a nice, beautiful ceremony, but close-knit.. Family there, and my friends. I wouldn't do anything big, but I think small and sophisticated would be best.

4) Would you be okay with your partner picking out the ring and surprising you? Or would you rather have some say in it? -- I'd definitely need to pick out the ring. Poor thing. :laugh: I sure hope the guy I end up with doesn't like to plan a lot of things for me. I've thought about it before, the ring thing.. I'd be scared to have a ring that was too expensive. I tend to lose jewelry way easy. The more I wear it, the more risk there is. :( I almost never wear jewelry I love. I'd be more likely to tattoo a ring on or something, and have one to wear for special occasions.

5) Would you marry someone you met in the last 2 yrs if "it felt right"? -- Not at all. No matter how right it felt. But I would probably move in with them or something.

6) Do you think people should live together before marrying? -- There are debates both ways for this.. but I think it's smarter to 'trap them' before living together. :3 Arguments get heated when you live together. :yes: Best to have them in a position where you HAVE to work it out.

7) Would you ever marry someone you had not slept with? -- Probably not.

8) Are you a skeptic or optomist of marriage? Do you think the odds are good of finding someone you want to marry? -- I think they're decent.. I don't know if I will find someone I want to marry, but I know the odds are out there. I'm an optimist.. I think marriages are a great thing. I just think they're not for everyone.. I think people make it a bigger priority than it ought to be.

9) How would you feel about marrying someone that had been married before? Would you put up with X-wives or husband or children from a previous marriage? -- I wouldn't mind this, depending on the circumstances surrounding the divorce. children would be a bit messy.. but I think I'd figure out a way if I loved them.

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It's not really a "goal".

I mean, I'll always feel a little let-down if I never find anyone, but it's not a critical factor of success or failure in my life.

Proposed to :yes:

It'd be up to them. I lean towards wanting something small, something that's romantic though, so not in anyone's living room or anything, but still something small.

I'd think it was romantic if my partner did it without me knowing. I mean, unless it was absolutely awful, I'd probably love it (if that makes sense lol).

Yeah, probably.

I don't think they should "live together", but I think they should be familiar enough with each other that they know they can stand to spend weeks on end together.

Eh... is there a plankton category?

I pretty much just float. If it happens, it happens. If not, that's cool too. I'd be thrilled to have someone close enough that I could depend on them and love them and be swept off my feet by them, but I'm not planning my life around it or anything.

Depends on the other peoples' attitude, really. If they have an obnoxious ex, then I'd have an extreme intolerance for their ex. Children I'm more sympathetic with. If they don't want me around, then no, I wouldn't marry them. If they were even reluctant about it, I'd probably duck out.

Unless they kids absolutely want me around, I'd rather just not be there. It's not fair to the kids. If I were in their position, I'd be miserable, so I'm not gonna put them through the very thing that worried me :shrug:

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1) I have mixed feelings about marriage. I don't really have any desire to get married, yet I can't see myself at say, 40, and not married. So I guess I'd say as a more distant life goal.

2) I think I'd have to be proposed to. I either wouldn't think of it, or I'd always be wondering if they ever would have proposed to me, if I'd surprised them so much they'd said yes and then couldn't find a way out of it...

3) A smallish ceremony of close friends and family. Maybe 30 guests tops.

4) I'd rather be surprised, but I know that if they bought me something that showed no understanding of my taste I'd be really disappointed inside.

5) Not anyone I know now, but in theory, yes. I'd want a longish engagement though.

6) Huh. In theory, I like the idea of it being a surprise, but I think yes, you should. The experience is necessary to decide if you could really live with that person for the rest of your life... I mean, what if they eat SPAM out of the can with their toes or something every night before they go to bed... Marriage to them? I think not.

7) I'd definitely consider it. Perhaps.

8) A little of both. I'm sure if I was in a relationship with a person I wanted to marry (odds are pretty damn good on that count) that I'd be very optimistic, but I'm somewhat skeptical about marriage in general.

9) I probably wouldn't marry someone who'd been married before (and not widowed). I would consider it if I really loved them... but I probably wouldn't. I'm not even certain I want kids, but I definitely don't want to raise someone else's. And an Ex with a say in parenting would probably send me into outer limits. I'd probably only do it if the Ex-couple had divorced because the made better friends and they had one or two very young children. Or if they had gotten married while drunk, tried to make it work, failed, and had no children.