• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] If your an online junky, your not an E

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I came accross some random writing on the behaviors of ENF and INF, and it was mentioned that you don't typically find that many extroverts hanging around online forums, but lots of INF's. I'm sure this was implying that typically an Extrovert would prefer to spend more time in the real world, face to face verbal interaction, pursuing tangible relations.

What do you think about this?
If you are an E, how does your forum time balance out with your real life time?
I am pretty certain of my extroversion, and I'm going to be honest.. I love typology, but I have recently become a forum junky BECAUSE my ability to socialize IRL is hindered, for various reasons. If I lived closer to friends and family, I don't think I would spend nearly as much time on sites like these as I do.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
then treat is as a random writing, it obviously has no truth in it

I can't tell if your being sarcastic or not :) Random doesn't equate not true. Could be undiscovered pattern, and I am still curious what my fellow extroverts, specifically the NF's think about this (as NF's are people oriented).

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i know many E people who are total internet/forum/game addicts. also this forum has many ENFPs who spend more time on these forums than whats healthy. you dont see this happening on these forums? or how come its not as obvious to you as it is to me?

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
i know many E people who are total internet/forum/game addicts. also this forum has many ENFPs who spend more time on these forums than whats healthy. you dont see this happening on these forums? or how come its not as obvious to you as it is to me?

I do see it. I also see alot of threads on E/I confusion, and people uncertain of their preference. I am not saying that you can't be an E and be online alot. (That was a question). Under the pretenses that an E prefers the external, prefers verbal over writen communication, and that NF's are people oriented, WHY would you spend more time in your home at a computer, using written communication, talking to people that you will probably never meet?

Now I realize that one could easily argue that forums are a form of socializing, that many topics discussed revolve around external events, and that being "people oriented" doesnt require in-person relations. I STILL want to know what fellow E's think about the topic.

Is that okay with you? :) If you don't see any value in my question on this, feel free to focus on the many other threads available to you.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i know many E's in real life and on internet outside this forum who could be viewed as internet addicts.

sure i bet its more common for I's, but it certainly isnt one of these that I's do and E's dont. E doesent mean people oriented, E means that your brains require much stimulation from outside of your head, it doesent have to be people, but ofc it can.

its not that i dont see a value in your question, its just that i am answering it..

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Nah...that's bullshit. I believe the extraverts most likely to be Internet junkies are ENTPs and ENFPs.

The least likely are ESFJs and ESTJs.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Nah...that's bullshit. I believe the extraverts most likely to be Internet junkies are ENTPs and ENFPs.

The least likely are ESFJs and ESTJs.

Do you think its Ne dom related? In a way, that makes sense to me. Unlimitied ideas at the click of a button.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Do you think its Ne dom related? In a way, that makes sense to me. Unlimitied ideas at the click of a button.

YES YES YES!!! I was mentioning this in the ENFP/INTJ fetish thread, when Kalach asked how someone with dominant iNtuition could also be externally oriented...it's unlimited ideas, it's the fact that all of this information is here at your fingertips...not only that, but people - yes, glorious people - who one might have more in common with, one might find it easier to meet those with shared interests, or be intrigued by those living far away in countries we've never set foot in.

I'm also a writer/editor right now and I procrastinate by hanging around this site, then working, then procrastinating, lather, rinse, repeat.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hate normal people, and I don't find much to talk about with them.

I spend 95% of my time online. Spend all of it pestering people about my crazy ideas, or asking my friends questions and discussing theories.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hate normal people, and I don't find much to talk about with them.

I spend 95% of my time online. Spend all of it pestering people about my crazy ideas, or asking my friends questions and discussing theories.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Are we talking forum addicts only, 'cause "online junkie" can mean someone who's really into gaming or social networking sites as well. Not everyone's on it for the ideas. Many young people of all types spend a lot of time online, but do other things. I've had people say things to me like, "Why do you always just read stuff on there?" like they'd consider that boring.

And even with forums, it would depend on the subject matter. Ne-doms are the most common extraverted type on here (and Ne aux types are the most common introverts last time I checked), but that likely varies depending on what the forum's about.

G

Glycerine

I go online when I feel stressed. My INFP mom was telling me the other day that computer and sleeping were my coping mechanisms when I don't want to face my problems. It's amazing that my GPA is above a 3.0.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I came accross some random writing on the behaviors of ENF and INF, and it was mentioned that you don't typically find that many extroverts hanging around online forums, but lots of INF's. I'm sure this was implying that typically an Extrovert would prefer to spend more time in the real world, face to face verbal interaction, pursuing tangible relations.

What do you think about this?
If you are an E, how does your forum time balance out with your real life time?
I am pretty certain of my extroversion, and I'm going to be honest.. I love typology, but I have recently become a forum junky BECAUSE my ability to socialize IRL is hindered, for various reasons. If I lived closer to friends and family, I don't think I would spend nearly as much time on sites like these as I do.

me too exactly and the reason i love this particular forum is because it's so active it's like just im'ing a bunch of people throughout the day on various interesting topics...and i'm pretty sure extraverts love chatting all day with people through phone, text or im all the time..i know i do...i feel way weird if i go a whole day without talking to people in some way.

so...i think it varies a lot based on what kind of interaction is taking place.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Forums are essentially human interaction stripped down to its bare essentials; I'm still interacting with others in some form, so I don't really get when people attempt to say they use the internet as an escape from dealing with people. I just think it tends to attract more introverts because it allows them to satisfy any already less prominent urge for sociability at their own discretion without being subject to the conversational norms involved in regular, face-to-face conversation. The only point containing validity I could see towards E's not being interested online related interactions is based on them being action oriented, thus perhaps finding the slower pacing of a forum based interactions stifling their ability to draw energy from a conversation, which is generally what they thrive on.

G

Glycerine

Forums are essentially human interaction stripped down to its bare essentials; I'm still interacting with others in some form, so I don't really get when people attempt to say they use the internet as an escape from dealing with people. I just think it tends to attract more introverts because it allows them to satisfy any already less prominent urge for sociability at their own discretion without being subject to the conversational norms involved in regular, face-to-face conversation. The only point containing validity I could see towards E's not being interested online related interactions is based on them being action oriented, thus perhaps finding the slower pacing of a forum based interactions stifling their ability to draw energy from a conversation, which is generally what they thrive on.
I think part of it is that most people crave social interaction but they just don't want to deal with the people in their personal life. In essence, you can interact with people online but not necessarily be emotionally invested. I know that I like you guys but when I am away in the real world, I rarely think of any of you. It's like a flip switches. This is why I would not want to have anything to do with you guys in relationships and such.