User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Hi evryone, I am new to the site, and I am looking forward to exploring who I am and truly coming to terms with it. Um I am slightly confused and if anyone can offer any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I took the typology test many times a few years ago, and everytime I took it I got INFJ. Fastforward to now, I have done alot of work on myself and I am alot happier and outgoing than I used to be. I took the typology test again last month and got INFJ, I took it twice today and I keep getting INFP. At first I thought I was definatly INFJ, but now I dont know, I am introverted and hyper aware of my self and others as a INFJ, and yet I feel like there are several careers I would be good at, and its hard for me to make decisions like a INFP. i definately feel like I lean more strongly on the INFJ side, I am a people pleaser, I hate small talk, I need help knowing who I am, I am deep, and complex, and even I dont get myself sometimes. Is it possible to be both INFJ and INFP? help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you don't mind the intrusion but out of all the NF's, INFJs think things through the most. For me to follow you, it's like tilting my head to understand. It's cool!

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Hope you don't mind the intrusion but out of all the NF's, INFJs think things through the most. For me to follow you, it's like tilting my head to understand. It's cool!
    Don't apologise for intruding...seriously, is it cool, or is it just obsessive and too much?!
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Don't apologise for intruding...seriously, is it cool, or is it just obsessive and too much?!
    This would depend on perspective. From my perspective, it's an interesting read. Not sure what it's like to be an INFJ and don't know any in real life enough to share what their personal experiences have been.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

This would depend on perspective. From my perspective, it's an interesting read. Not sure what it's like to be an INFJ and don't know any in real life enough to share what their personal experiences have been.
    Speaking for myself and just maybe for some other INFJs, I think there can be a lot of enjoyment in seeing things from unusual and oft-overlooked perspectives, and it can be very useful and interesting to have a generally good read on human nature and the motivations of others. But it can be pretty exhausting when you get trapped in the windmills of your own mind and emotions. "Exhausting" is so often the word that comes to mind for me.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Speaking for myself and just maybe for some other INFJs, I think there can be a lot of enjoyment in seeing things from unusual and oft-overlooked perspectives, and it can be very useful and interesting to have a generally good read on human nature and the motivations of others. But it can be pretty exhausting when you get trapped in the windmills of your own mind and emotions. "Exhausting" is so often the word that comes to mind for me.
    Do you ever find that it's time to shut this down, distract yourself with something else and then, the answer just pops into your mind? One of those Ni moments.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Do you ever find that it's time to shut this down, distract yourself with something else and then, the answer just pops into your mind? One of those Ni moments.
    Kind of...but even knowing it's "time to shut down" can often not save me. This is a real big problem for me. Lately I've known it's been "time to shut down" (ie. stop obsessing about some things I'm trying to leave behind, stop with the self-examination unless it's clearly productive...etc) for at least the last month or so, but the voices in my head just won't shut up. Certain things help: some form of entertainment or study which helps me shut off and think of other things, generally staying busy, socializing, having a drink...though the latter can be a slippery slope. But I really hate it when I KNOW I should have let myself out of the maze long ago, and I can't seem to. Then it's worse, because not only am I exhausting myself by running in circles, but I'm annoyed with myself for being obsessive and getting stuck in negative patterns of thinking.

I am a little better at snapping out of this state of mind than I used to be, and I am also more aware that things like not sleeping and eating enough don't help. But it is still one of my biggest challenges.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ENTP

All types are complex. Common complexity ceases to be complex because it's more understood, and more common. The enigma of the uncommon adds to the complexity of other types...so the least common type is the most complex type.

I don't even know what words such as complex are supposed to describe, everybody just interprets it subjectively.

Diving into Ni-space Crescent Fresh's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Do you think others perceive us as complex, or is it more that we perceive ourselves as complex?
    Excellent question. Coincidently, I've been thinking a lot about this issue as I've been experienceing some personal conflicts with a few people who mean a world to me.

To answer your question, I often felt that when others judged us as being complex when we think excessively over small issues with lots of detailed analytical approach. This usually happends when INFJ tries to protect others or defend ourselves as we usually hated for being misjudged (which is an irony as we also tend to misjudge others at times). Then when things didn't work out the way as we wanted, or things started to become twisted in a negative way which we didn't intend, we tend to blame ourselves by believing ourselves that we are the "problem" and often regrets of our communication style. Well at least for me, I do tend to jump into the conclusion too soon as I lack of the ability to look at the big picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    I've had many people feel that I make things 'more complicated than they need to be'. Whereas it seems to me like I happen to notice how things are more complicated than they initially seem. Anyone who generally doesn't want things to get more complicated than they initially seem is going to find me a pain in the ass. I do what I can to keep it out of other people's way, but not everyone can be avoided and sometimes it gets on other's nerves (and really, they get on mine- so no biggie).
    I think this has to do with our overtly-protective-mother nature. Seriously, I've often been told that, "Geez, you sound even more intense than my mother!" (Don't you just hate that? When our motive of protection is in its purest nature?). When I started to psychoanalyze something, it's often based on my own eerie sixth sense of preceiving something is wrong (also we tend to be good at reading people, though not as much as ENFP). I think generally, most INFJ are not obssessed on "solving" a potential problem but we hope to avoid or even block a possible conflict. When others catch our over-sensitivity, especially when they don't "get" it, they often view us as being just plainly paranoid. I think that's the most frustrating thing that I've been experience in life so far--a few words of caution toward other often bring an unfavorable outcome. *sigh*

Diving into Ni-space Crescent Fresh's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think whether I feel that "complex" is positive or negative is very dependent on my emotional state generally. There are certainly times when I feel that being "complex" allows me to see below the surface of things, that it makes me more interesting, that it makes life richer and more interesting for me, etc. However, if I'm feeling tired and overwhelmed, I'm probably just going to feel that my complexity makes me prone to being misunderstood. I guess that's more where I'm at currently. It's very context-dependent...
    For me, it really depends on my state of mind. If I'm feeling stress, I really tried hard to stay out of giving advices as there's a chance for my genuine advices getting twisted (for thinking "too much"). This often leads to bad ending to both parties. However, when we're in a good state of mind, we can see things "much deeper" than others because it's just our nature to strive for maintaining a perfect relationship and harmony with others--and usually it works out positively.

As for the second part of your comment, I hear you. Well, sometimes I feel about myself that I may be making things more complicated than they actually are. But then again, I basically think that things ARE complicated.
    I agree. I'm a firm believer that every one of us is constantly wearing a mask, but just depends on how many masks we chose to wear. For me, my emotions is often filled with sentiments and I'm naturally drawn to agony--perhaps that's one of the reason why I'm very patience in listening to others when they reveal their dark side. I hate to admit that rather than feeling more empathetic, I take it as a brilliant opportunity for getting close to them, by letting them sharing their inner-pains with me.