User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    You guys realize that just about everyone under the sun wears a persona in order to blend in with social environments, right?
    Okay this is the second time now. That's literally the first thing said in this thread.

"Everyone wear's social masks, therefore INFPs are no different about it than everyone else" is a fallacy. Let's not discourage INFPs from sharing how they do it, I'm learning a lot. I hope others are too.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    Okay this is the second time now. That's literally the first thing said in this thread.

"Everyone wear's social masks, therefore INFPs are no different about it than everyone else" is a fallacy. Let's not discourage INFPs from sharing how they do it, I'm learning a lot. I hope others are too.
    You're right, but I didn't say the bolded.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    You're right, but I didn't say the bolded.
    Yes, yes.

"I never said that you said it"

"I never said you said that I said it"

Etc.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Snuggletron View Post
    I mainly view these masks as facades that are really me, they just have utilities for different situations. If I fear I'm being unauthentic, I'll fix it to fit me. Basically it's like having knobs for everything and toning certain knobs up or down depending on what we want to present outside at the time.
    I pretty much agree with this. It's all quite instinctual and draws from what I consider to be the real me, I don't construct elaborate personas for myself in the way that I have seen some people do. Though I don't feel like I have ever been truly genuine around anyone either. Most of the communication I do with others is about trying to find out what they want from me, and building my responses around that, which is something I don't really like, but what I have found to be the most efficient.

Epiphany

What gender were they?

One of my suspicions is that this phenomenon is related to a specific type of INFP. Males will be hugely overrepresented in it because of differing social expectations.
    I agree. To me, it's a necessary adaptation. I don't particularly enjoy it, but it's interesting to see how people respond differently to me depending on how I portray myself. I don't know if INFPs are more prone to doing it, but I can definitely see why male INFPs might feel compelled to wear a mask. I also see it as a way to get outside of myself and view human interaction from different perspectives.

I will mention that all my friends don't see the masking. I've been doing it for as long as I can remember, and essentially don't open up, so there's little for them to go on.
    I doubt that my close friends would view me as wearing masks, maybe multi-faceted, but they have a better understanding than most. Once I trust somebody, I tend to let my guard down.

Glycerine

I personally don't think INFPs have it any different or worse in terms of masking themselves compared to everyone else. It's all relative after awhile.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

this mask has a name in psychology, its called persona, coming from greek(if i remember right) word meaning a mask of an actor
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mask Manifest View Post
    I doubt that my close friends would view me as wearing masks, maybe multi-faceted, but they have a better understanding than most. Once I trust somebody, I tend to let my guard down.
    I'm glad you acknowledged the difference between being multi-faceted, to wearing masks.

I guess some of the more extreme persona are masks, though I always summed up masks as false persona.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Mask Manifest View Post
    I agree. To me, it's a necessary adaptation. I don't particularly enjoy it, but it's interesting to see how people respond differently to me depending on how I portray myself. I don't know if INFPs are more prone to doing it, but I can definitely see why male INFPs might feel compelled to wear a mask. I also see it as a way to get outside of myself and view human interaction from different perspectives.

I don't think of myself as wearing masks but just accomodating when necessary to hear the other person. Even if I accomodate and 'become' someone I'm not for a short while, I feel it's worth it to respect another's boundaries or get to know someone better. I try to disappear in a way even if disappearing is not who I am at all. If a try on a different persona, that's all it is, 'trying it on.' I know I'm doing it. For instance, to get along with my ISTJ supervisor, I'll appear to be as concise and no nonsense as this is what he understands. I know that I'm acting or appeasing. He's not my friend, though; still he's a human being who wants to be understood. If I'm the one to bend my personality a bit, I don't mind. In my experience, intuitive feeling dominants usually bend this way. They aren't being insincere. My good friends will only see my fiery, very opinionated side. All of me. I don't feel it's a contradiction, though, to put on, not so much a mask, but anothe persona for a while. Because the people I put on a persona for don't want to see the real me anyway and I don't care to show it to them.

Epiphany

So what do you think of all this?
    Are INFPs more prone to masking?
    Do they just notice it more/are more concerned with it?
    Or are they nothing special when it comes to this?
    Anything else?
    I found this excerpt fitting:

INFPs are warm and caring individuals who highly value authenticity and depth in their personal relationships. They are usually quite perceptive about other people's feelings and motives, and are consequently able to get along with all sorts of different people. However, the INFP will keep their true selves reserved from others except for a select few, with whom they will form close and lasting friendships. With their high ideals, they are likely to be drawn to other iNtuitive Feelers for their closer friendships.