123 Last

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Default Yoga, Dance and the NFP.

I've noticed that there are a significant amount of (E)NFPs that seem to have some experience with yoga and dancing. I was hoping they would elaborate on it here:

Why do you practise yoga or dance?
    What do you get out of it?
    How often do you practise?
    What keeps you motivated to practise?
    How do you practically work it into your schedule?
    How long do you usually practise every time?
    Where do you practise?

Your dance/yoga life story, people. I wants it, noa!
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Virtually all the yoga teachers I've had have been INFJ's btw.

I think the whole "lets get in touch with ourselves", lets develop ourselves and "achieve our potentials" are very NF ideas. I think many of the students I've seen are ENFP's, and they seem to usually dig the whole "culture/attitude" thing of it.

I came at yoga from, and remain with a 1) martial arts angle and a 2) "spiritual" angle.

It also seems like many of the teachers, or at least the famous ones that I've met, are really big into Buddhism as well, either Theravada mindfulness stuff or usually Tibetan Buddhism.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Yoga: yes! (I'm still a n00b with yoga) I do it because it calms me down, I need the stretching and the "deep muscle excercise". I do yoga excercise couple of times per week. I should do more but.... haven't had time...?? (an excuse I guess)

Dancing: another yes! I love dancing but don't go to classes or anything. I would like to try the belly dancing and all sorts of dancing thingies.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

watch this video and pay attention to when it scans through the audience.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YI0BUQ4Cww

going back to the OP questions specifically, think "express yourself" and "be natural"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i had to change my type to post in this forum because i like your thread so much

Quote Originally Posted by Vala Faye View Post
    Why do you practise yoga or dance?
    i think i always liked the "image" of both, and the idea of both. they are beautiful, and the ability to express yourself through your body is beautiful. there is also something so compelling about the idea of being able to fully control your whole body in a conscious manner. that is why i got started.

the reason why i continue - with yoga, it helps me empty my mind, and enter my body. i can leave my stress behind and discover a new part of who i am. i enjoy the physical sensations and i like pushing myself. it's sort of vain, but i like watching myself in the mirror and molding myself into a beautiful form. and the peace of sivasana is without equal.

yoga is to me like this

with dance, it's a similar thing. i like being fluid, moving, in touch with my body. i also sort of feel a cultural imperative to be at least a decent dancer in terms of waltz, foxtrot, swing - should i need it in a social setting. i am so blatantly Se-last and very bad at learning in a standard "watch this now do it" format, but if i can read about the steps or see diagrams and understand the "feeling" behind the dance, then i can really get into it. once i've muscle memory'd the steps, i'm good to go, and i can really get into the expression and fluidity. it's really a challenge.

i'm also a little competitive, so most kinds of physical activity fuel that drive. it helps me turn it more into a competition with myself, instead of one with others.

What do you get out of it?
    ah. better control of my body. more strength, flexibility. more elegance. it gives me a sense of mastery and a source of pride. it burns calories, of course, and tones my body. i like the idea of being someone who practices yoga and who dances. they fit with my self-concept. and it's occasionally just pure fun, too.

How often do you practise?
    both probably about an hour three times a week. i've been doing yoga on and off since my early teens; dancing i used to do when i was little, then as a young teen, then i quit for a while and now am back.

What keeps you motivated to practise?
    mostly how happy and satisfied they make me feel when i do them. and it's sort of annoying to regress, so i try to keep up with them consistently. nothing like knowing you could do a split 3 months ago and not even being able to get within 5 inches of the ground, lol.

How do you practically work it into your schedule?
    Where do you practise?
    How long do you usually practise every time?
    my gym offers afternoon classes, which work well. then i practice on my own time, especially dance, since i am newer to it. i usually practice for an hour, at least. might as well get really into it.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    EXPP

It's the freeness and newness of everything...

I've done both... but never kept up with it...
    a cat is fine too

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

^thast one of the reasons I started this thread. I just cannot make it a continuous routine.

I'm with Skylights on most points, I loved your post btw, but I cannot seem to..find the motivation to get started on it. I've done interval bellydancing and yoga for years now and although I *love* the feel of it, I also feel guilty for doing something that takes up my time and bores me mentally, whileI could be doing so many other things. Otoh, I *love* how it makes you feel. I find that dancing goes easier when I'm in company, when I can interact through my body with others, really (I did ballroom dancing).

I also have trouble timing it. You cannot have eaten within 2 hours, and I'm not a morning person. I also get really absorbed in what I'm doing during the day, making me forget about it. It's maddening.

So..in essence, I'm pumping you all for info on how to get this feeling *right* for me...

Plz continue. I'll be watching.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    EXPP

Forum Challenge?

3 hours a week dancing or yoga?

Pics or it didn't happen?
    a cat is fine too

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

yoga!

yoga bodies!
    I may be kindly, I am ordinarily gentle, but in my line of business I am obliged to will terribly what I will at all.
    ~ Catherine the Great

7w6 ❣ sx/so ❤ physical touch ❥ sanguine 70%, choleric 30% ❦

Johari.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by chachamaru View Post
    Forum Challenge?

3 hours a week dancing or yoga?

Pics or it didn't happen?

You know, as I was reading this, I felt 'this could be interesting, and it looks like those creativity threads going on, so its very trendy', then I noticed the last line and went...'No. No no. NO!'

Then: 'OMG, the male IxTx population would have a field day with this!'

Last thought was

'I'm so happy I put this thread in the private section, coz the second this gets read by all the frigging males out there (especially the IxTx's ), they will storm the thread and badger us into it, derail the thread in the process and snicker their asses off '
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★