• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Yoga, Dance and the NFP.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:peepwall: But waiiit...then I expect some good tips and extensive reports on how you get to practising, what the theme of your dancing was, what the purpose was ( maintenance, creativity, specific need to work on your art) etc etc, otherwise it's no fair! I'm still figuring out how to be consistent in this shit :cry:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Why do you practise yoga or dance?

I don't practice yoga, though I've done it a few times here and there over the years and I'm quite fond of stretches that are not yoga, so I can understand the allure. However, I have much more experience with dancing. I took dance for eleven years ...because it was fun...and I worked professionally as an exotic dancer, and I loved dancing on stage...because it was fun. I got a high out of it, a rush, from the dancing itself as an act of physical release, creativity, and performance. Sometimes it was more about being "with the music" than looking at the audience. It's not about people watching me dance, though that's a nice perk sometimes, it's more about the feeling, and it is directly correlated to my deep appreciation of music.

What do you get out of it?

exercise, physical release, fun, creativity

How often do you practise?

I don't dance as much as I used to - now I'm more inclined to walk and do stretches, or sometimes bike or jog. It would be nice to take a dance class or something, though. I wouldn't be opposed to taking a yoga class either, but a dance class seems more fun.

What keeps you motivated to practise?

Well when I was growing up I took classes several times a week, I went through a phase in middle school where I often practiced at home, and of course I would dance at work. Even on slow nights sometimes I would go on stage repeatedly just to have something to do, even if there weren't a lot of customers in the club.

How do you practically work it into your schedule?
How long do you usually practise every time?
Where do you practise?

These are all currently N/A unless you count dancing around my bedroom or occasionally going out. Fail.

I've always wanted to get better at tap dancing. I think someday I'll get back into tap. I was focused more on ballet and jazz dancing when I was growing up.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Those that want to, can post pics of course. I'm sure the boys will love them for it as well :wink:

Ahemmmm!!! There are non-women who practice yoga.

I've had a daily practice for about 12 years now or so, and did frequent "martial arts" stretching before starting "yoga stretching."

I've actually burned out on classes in certain places cuz there would be like 1-3 guys and 15 women. Also, the whole "lets do lots of downward dog pose" thing when I kept being like "lets do extreme backbends!!!" contributed to said burnout as well.
Also, if anyone cares, my current practice and historical mentality has basically followed "yin yoga", whereas many people prefer the more aerobic-like ashtanga, vinyasa, etc where often people exhale in one pose and inhale in the next. My first teacher, and the yin yoga attitude, is to hold poses for much longer, say 30 seconds to several minutes or more.

Perhaps I'll have to find some pics of me doing various poses...

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
While it's not exactly dancing, I go to Freestyle Step classes at the gym 4 times a week. Originally joined the class about 2 years ago because there was a cutie in it, but grew to enjoy it and it matches my strengths very well. The main drawback is like I'm the only straight guy in the class...wait, that's not a drawback... :)

As for motivation, another Bertrand Russell quote "Anything you're good at contributes to happiness"...and the cutie is still in the class :D

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i dislike downward dog, if i don't put my wrists down in the exact perfect way, it hurts. i can finally get my heels all the way to the floor again, though!

anyway NFP reporting in, hour of yoga today. was reluctant going in but had a good time. word to the wise: don't put on lotion right before class or certain poses will become surprisingly difficult.

:laugh:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wait, is it perhaps an idea to start a new thread in the not so private forums for this? So other types can join in the fun on the whole keeping track of work-outs?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ahemmmm!!! There are non-women who practice yoga.

I've had a daily practice for about 12 years now or so, and did frequent "martial arts" stretching before starting "yoga stretching."

I've actually burned out on classes in certain places cuz there would be like 1-3 guys and 15 women. Also, the whole "lets do lots of downward dog pose" thing when I kept being like "lets do extreme backbends!!!" contributed to said burnout as well.
Also, if anyone cares, my current practice and historical mentality has basically followed "yin yoga", whereas many people prefer the more aerobic-like ashtanga, vinyasa, etc where often people exhale in one pose and inhale in the next. My first teacher, and the yin yoga attitude, is to hold poses for much longer, say 30 seconds to several minutes or more.

Perhaps I'll have to find some pics of me doing various poses...

Lol, I'm aware of that, but the majority seems to be female :alttongue:
And something tells me you won't mind their pics either :ninja:

Or us yours...it's a win-win situation. We can all learn from each other :coffee:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ok, so this thread does really motivate :smile:

I just clocked in a half an hour of yoga, followed by a half hour of bellydance. Just the basics, really. It's a yoga sequence a a prep for bellydance on a DVD, refreshing the simplest of poses and creating flow.

The bellydance routine likewise was to get back into it, and consisted of the most basic drills to get control over your movements. Babysteps.
I do feel that although it was nice refresher course, I'm done with that routine, so next time, I'm upgrading a bit.

I do notice though that it was good to start slowly again, my body is buzzing, recharged but I do feel my muscles.

chachamaru

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
It would be a good idea to open it up. :)

I worked out last night at my local 24 hour fitness. Tonight, I will be using either Netflix dance workout streaming videos or my Goddess Bellydance DVD.

Specifics are scary. BARRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ok, so this thread does really motivate :smile:

I just clocked in a half an hour of yoga, followed by a half hour of bellydance. Just the basics, really. It's a yoga sequence a a prep for bellydance on a DVD, refreshing the simplest of poses and creating flow.

The bellydance routine likewise was to get back into it, and consisted of the most basic drills to get control over your movements. Babysteps.
I do feel that although it was nice refresher course, I'm done with that routine, so next time, I'm upgrading a bit.

I do notice though that it was good to start slowly again, my body is buzzing, recharged but I do feel my muscles.

yes! thanks for the motivation and for starting it!

i'm off to a one-hour class.:) my goal is to be present. wish me luck.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
G'luck! :smile:

Ok, someone start a general thread, I don't like starting threads and I wanna keep exploring ENFPs and their exercise routines here, while doing this project thing in another thread where others are welcome as well :ninja:

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Lol, I'm aware of that, but the majority seems to be female :alttongue:
And something tells me you won't mind their pics either :ninja:

Or us yours...it's a win-win situation. We can all learn from each other :coffee:

I thought I had a pic of me doing chakrasana [wheel pose] on top of Mt. Evans, but I don't seem to see it. 533a.jpg

The attached pic is more literally "posing" [as in for a camera picture] than it is being in a pose/asana. I'll keep searching for backbend pics though

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I am just getting into yoga. Been going to classes for about a month now. I have a martial arts background but haven't practiced that in several years.

Yoga is awesome so far. I love that it completely empties my brain. This one teacher I have sometimes tells us to "return to what you were before you were born." That really made sense to me and sometimes by the time I get out of there I'm like completely blank but not at the same time and I have this awesome perspective.

Also, my muscles feel really good. :)

I remember thinking at some point not long after I started... "yoga is like totally NFP"

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
So I didn't really answer the questions at all...

I have been practicing at a studio that is just a few minutes from my work. I go one night a week immediately after work and also on Saturday mornings. 90 minutes each time.

Also... I am like friend to everyone and it seems people I know keep wanting me to be the person to go with them so they aren't there all alone in a group of strangers the first time they go. So that keeps me going back too.

I'm still a total newbie myself.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I started yoga to de-stress & get some exercise to just feel better & have more energy. I actually used to do pilates, then took a piyo class (pilates & yoga) at a local gym and liked the "flow" of it, so then I took a yoga class when one started at a convenient time for me, and I fell in love with it. I now prefer yoga to pilates. I have realized that not all yoga classes/teachers are created equal. I was fortunate to start off with a really good teacher in a small class.

Now I do yoga once a week for about an hour at home by myself. I do an ashtanga style yoga....mainly sun salutations & other moves that flow into each other & keep your heart rate up. I sometimes work in some pilates moves also.

Since I have a flexible schedule, it's easy to find time, but actually harder to be consistent, because I'm not naturally inclined to create my own structure & routines. When I worked full time & went to the same class every week, I was more consistent, because I had to be scheduled to fit everything in & I felt a sense of commitment.

I read somewhere that women drawn to yoga & pilates tend to have naturally long, lean, flexible body types, and so they find it "rewarding" because they are good at it....that's pretty true of me. If I were to get into dance, I'd probably be drawn to something like ballet for similar reasons.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I've always considered myself "non-athletic" and despise competition and overwhelming exercise (ie. bootcamp-like stuff), so finding yoga (and pilates) was very eye-opening for me. I realized I can enjoy physical movement.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yesss... I've finally found the solution to this dilemma. I tend to not be able to enjoy soomething without having an oversight, so I spent a month learning about yoga, about safety in yoga poses, about anatomy, and about the different styles. Then I found an online class you could sign up for and am currently in the privacy of my own home taking Vinyasa yoga classes, from the beginners series, whenever I want, at whatever hour i want :D

I've done the same with Bellydance. Though I've been dancing for ages, I've missed the structure you'd get from a class, and the oversight you get from researching something, so I was able to find an online bellydance class with someone who really breaks down which moves exist, how to really practise them, layer them, and then put them all together to create an actual dance.

Perfect!

The effing insecurity of whether or not I was doing the moves right and was learning the right basis to progress, was driving me nuts and keeping me at in stasis at beginners level, not to mention making me resentful/bored when practising (which led to procrastination) :doh:

Mia.

I read somewhere that women drawn to yoga & pilates tend to have naturally long, lean, flexible body types, and so they find it "rewarding" because they are good at it....that's pretty true of me. If I were to get into dance, I'd probably be drawn to something like ballet for similar reasons..

(Bump)

Hmm… It would be interesting to read your source. The idea that our body determines what our interests would then be makes sense. I don’t mind yoga at all, but I have a different body type and have never been attracted to ballet. I’m short (5’2”) and small-waisted and hippy and busty. I’ve always been drawn to more sensual and earthy dance styles that are higher energy. I appreciate ballet as an art form but it’s definitely not “me” in body, which makes sense it would correlate with it not being "me" in mind.

Marie Marguerite

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
??
Why do you practise yoga or dance?
Because I love it! It's the first form of self-expression I learned, so it's very special to me.

What do you get out of it?
A lightness. I feel like I'm finally expressing things, a weight is lifted off my shoulders, and I can fly.

How often do you practise?
Unfortunately, not nearly as often as I'd like.

What keeps you motivated to practise?
The love of it.

How do you practically work it into your schedule?
I don't right now. Working on freeing up evenings for it.

How long do you usually practise every time?
Half hour to an hour when I do.

Where do you practise?
All depends on the dance form.