User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

But waiiit...then I expect some good tips and extensive reports on how you get to practising, what the theme of your dancing was, what the purpose was ( maintenance, creativity, specific need to work on your art) etc etc, otherwise it's no fair! I'm still figuring out how to be consistent in this shit
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Why do you practise yoga or dance?

I don't practice yoga, though I've done it a few times here and there over the years and I'm quite fond of stretches that are not yoga, so I can understand the allure. However, I have much more experience with dancing. I took dance for eleven years ...because it was fun...and I worked professionally as an exotic dancer, and I loved dancing on stage...because it was fun. I got a high out of it, a rush, from the dancing itself as an act of physical release, creativity, and performance. Sometimes it was more about being "with the music" than looking at the audience. It's not about people watching me dance, though that's a nice perk sometimes, it's more about the feeling, and it is directly correlated to my deep appreciation of music.

What do you get out of it?

exercise, physical release, fun, creativity

How often do you practise?

I don't dance as much as I used to - now I'm more inclined to walk and do stretches, or sometimes bike or jog. It would be nice to take a dance class or something, though. I wouldn't be opposed to taking a yoga class either, but a dance class seems more fun.

What keeps you motivated to practise?

Well when I was growing up I took classes several times a week, I went through a phase in middle school where I often practiced at home, and of course I would dance at work. Even on slow nights sometimes I would go on stage repeatedly just to have something to do, even if there weren't a lot of customers in the club.

How do you practically work it into your schedule?
    How long do you usually practise every time?
    Where do you practise?

These are all currently N/A unless you count dancing around my bedroom or occasionally going out. Fail.

I've always wanted to get better at tap dancing. I think someday I'll get back into tap. I was focused more on ballet and jazz dancing when I was growing up.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Vala Faye View Post
    Those that want to, can post pics of course. I'm sure the boys will love them for it as well
    Ahemmmm!!! There are non-women who practice yoga.

I've had a daily practice for about 12 years now or so, and did frequent "martial arts" stretching before starting "yoga stretching."

I've actually burned out on classes in certain places cuz there would be like 1-3 guys and 15 women. Also, the whole "lets do lots of downward dog pose" thing when I kept being like "lets do extreme backbends!!!" contributed to said burnout as well.
    Also, if anyone cares, my current practice and historical mentality has basically followed "yin yoga", whereas many people prefer the more aerobic-like ashtanga, vinyasa, etc where often people exhale in one pose and inhale in the next. My first teacher, and the yin yoga attitude, is to hold poses for much longer, say 30 seconds to several minutes or more.

Perhaps I'll have to find some pics of me doing various poses...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

While it's not exactly dancing, I go to Freestyle Step classes at the gym 4 times a week. Originally joined the class about 2 years ago because there was a cutie in it, but grew to enjoy it and it matches my strengths very well. The main drawback is like I'm the only straight guy in the class...wait, that's not a drawback...

As for motivation, another Bertrand Russell quote "Anything you're good at contributes to happiness"...and the cutie is still in the class
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i dislike downward dog, if i don't put my wrists down in the exact perfect way, it hurts. i can finally get my heels all the way to the floor again, though!

anyway NFP reporting in, hour of yoga today. was reluctant going in but had a good time. word to the wise: don't put on lotion right before class or certain poses will become surprisingly difficult.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Wait, is it perhaps an idea to start a new thread in the not so private forums for this? So other types can join in the fun on the whole keeping track of work-outs?
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    Ahemmmm!!! There are non-women who practice yoga.

I've had a daily practice for about 12 years now or so, and did frequent "martial arts" stretching before starting "yoga stretching."

I've actually burned out on classes in certain places cuz there would be like 1-3 guys and 15 women. Also, the whole "lets do lots of downward dog pose" thing when I kept being like "lets do extreme backbends!!!" contributed to said burnout as well.
    Also, if anyone cares, my current practice and historical mentality has basically followed "yin yoga", whereas many people prefer the more aerobic-like ashtanga, vinyasa, etc where often people exhale in one pose and inhale in the next. My first teacher, and the yin yoga attitude, is to hold poses for much longer, say 30 seconds to several minutes or more.

Perhaps I'll have to find some pics of me doing various poses...
    Lol, I'm aware of that, but the majority seems to be female
    And something tells me you won't mind their pics either

Or us yours...it's a win-win situation. We can all learn from each other
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Ok, so this thread does really motivate

I just clocked in a half an hour of yoga, followed by a half hour of bellydance. Just the basics, really. It's a yoga sequence a a prep for bellydance on a DVD, refreshing the simplest of poses and creating flow.

The bellydance routine likewise was to get back into it, and consisted of the most basic drills to get control over your movements. Babysteps.
    I do feel that although it was nice refresher course, I'm done with that routine, so next time, I'm upgrading a bit.

I do notice though that it was good to start slowly again, my body is buzzing, recharged but I do feel my muscles.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    EXPP

It would be a good idea to open it up.

I worked out last night at my local 24 hour fitness. Tonight, I will be using either Netflix dance workout streaming videos or my Goddess Bellydance DVD.

Specifics are scary. BARRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    a cat is fine too

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Vala Faye View Post
    Ok, so this thread does really motivate

I just clocked in a half an hour of yoga, followed by a half hour of bellydance. Just the basics, really. It's a yoga sequence a a prep for bellydance on a DVD, refreshing the simplest of poses and creating flow.

The bellydance routine likewise was to get back into it, and consisted of the most basic drills to get control over your movements. Babysteps.
    I do feel that although it was nice refresher course, I'm done with that routine, so next time, I'm upgrading a bit.

I do notice though that it was good to start slowly again, my body is buzzing, recharged but I do feel my muscles.

yes! thanks for the motivation and for starting it!

i'm off to a one-hour class. my goal is to be present. wish me luck.
    I may be kindly, I am ordinarily gentle, but in my line of business I am obliged to will terribly what I will at all.
    ~ Catherine the Great

7w6 ❣ sx/so ❤ physical touch ❥ sanguine 70%, choleric 30% ❦

Johari.