• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFP career indecision

cheerchick23

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Ne
I don't know if anyone else is like this, but this is what I've always felt like:

Whenever people used to ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would just give them a puzzled look and say "ummmm I don't know yet!" I never found the idea of having one set career all my life enjoyable. In my mind, I always wanted to respond by saying "I WANNA BE A THOUSAND DIFFERENT THINGS! AN ARTIST AND A ZOOKEEPER AND A MOM AND A TRAVEL WRITER AND A SOCIOLOGIST AND A NURSE AND A UNICORN! OMGZ!" but I knew that might sound a tad ridiculous.

But, it's true. I always wanted to do and be a thousand different things.... and when I envisioned my projected future, I pictured myself being superwoman and holding 7 different jobs and living my dream of traveling the world while owning several exotic animals and solving everyone's problems along the way. Whenever teachers would make me fill out sheets about a possible future career, or take one of those future job surveys, I would cringe and want to either check every single box or none at all!!

Relate?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
perfectly. i want to be almost everything.

i want to be a doctor - therapist - marine biologist - theoretical physicist - economist - anthropologist - preschool teacher - entrepreneur - travel journalist - photographer - food critic - nurse - tv reporter - lawyer - children's book illustrator - npr newscaster - ranch owner - senator - international spy - professional musician - dancer - painter - pro surfer - techie - princess - ninja.

:doh:

problem is, i'm now at the place where i have to choose. damn it.

cfs1992

I really relate too! I had the same problem, and I think it's a veeeeery ENFP thing. People just thought I was going TOTALLY NUTS!!! And till today, in college, I think of a wide range of future possibilities that I'd like to engage...

I've already wanted to be a psychologist, sociologist, journalist, actress, musician, architect, environmental engineer, computer programmer, doctor, anthropologist, lawyer, pharmaceutical, historian, archaeologist, philosopher, pedagogue, designer, comic book artist, illustrator, writer, radio producer/announcer, diplomat, astronomer, astrologist, public relations, teacher, rockstar, news correspondent, columnist, linguist, neurologist, neuroscientist, even indian (as a child, I thought people chose to be an indian :doh:), esoteric, activist, princess (yeah, me too, skylights!) etc etc etc...

Now I'm majoring in linguistics/ literature, to be a college teacher, but I'm still not sure of my future because I'd like to be sooooo many things and I don't want to lose opportunities! I would be ALL the listed things (and much more) if I had enough lifetime!!!

I REALLY know what you're feeling!

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, I had this problem as well because I have so many intense, varied interests. ;) But eventually I decided on one and the great part is there is always room for growth and expansion.

PeaceRobin

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
This is soooo ENFP. There are so many possibilities to be excited about that it is hard to choose one. I recently quit my job to pursue a more difficult field which required much more of me than I realized. My advice is to think realistically about how happy you would be based on how much effort you must put forth. You will always be a wonderlust and imagine yourself in other careers so just pick something that gives you enough free time to try new things on your off time and that doesn't make you stress too much.

Of course, I believe we can be whatever we put our minds to but the process along the way to stay updated in your field or the amount or kind of work in general for our type can be very cumbersome and stressful. Basically, if you know you're horrible with deadlines, don't be a journalist! This can be applied to some many jobs for the ENFP. Although I enjoy seeing myself grow and reach higher potentials, I don't think it worth the physical stress- aka started teeth grinding at night, breaking out, anxiety, etc.

Reach for your goals but SERIOUSLY access the effort for particular jobs. There are plently of ways you can do this but I assume the best would be talking to actual ENFPs in their field. Also, try reading the link below. There are some verrrrrrry interesting career statistics. Luckily, we can be happy to many things. Just don't choose something super difficult just because you know or want to see if you can do it. Pick something that will bring you the most pleasure during each task at work!
http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/Choosing/career-satisfaction.htm

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
This never happens. You must be the only ENFP ever to have suffered from career indecision.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I recently turned 24... I've had 7 jobs, out of which two require two completely different educational qualifications.
If you count a year in college studying to become a teacher + internship, you could say 8 jobs.
To be honest, I only sucked at being an electrician. Well, not sucked, but I was highly unmotivated and I HATED the job.
When I even tried, I was okay I guess.

I've been working for two years within private healthcare now, though. This is the best fit, thus far.
Working nights means that me being a terrible person in the morning doesn't mean squat, and I mostly do nothing so I can do some writing and surfing the internet.
Goodie!

But I feel like I really need to get a college degree. It's a bloody waste to do otherwise, since i'm fairly smart and talented, albeit a bit eccentric... ;)

Not so sure on my ENFP status, but the healthy me identifies a lot with ENFP type 8, ENTP 8 or possibly ESTP 8, but i'm fairly sure of being an intuitive (even if Se isn't a weak spot, it's Si that's the culprit).