• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] What is Charm??

Butterfly

MBTI Type
ENFP
I have noticed a lot of people using the word CHARM, when it comes to NFs (especially ENFPs). Words like:

- "She is Charming"
- "He will charm you into changing your mind"
- "Natural Charm"

So it got me thinking, what exactly is this CHARM??
Is it flirting? Is it certain attributes or attitude? Is it same as Charisma?
How does Charm play out in the real life situation?
Any examples would be appreciated.
:D

WobblyStilettos

MBTI Type
INFP
Charm is a way of getting the answer yes without asking a clear question. ~Albert Camus

Charm is the quality in others that makes us more satisfied with ourselves. ~Henri-Frederic Amiel

(they're smarter than me :))

OctaviaCaesar

MBTI Type
INFJ
Charm is a warmness--a lot like charisma--that people give off when they are with other people. Sometimes it feels sleazy and fake when people "turn on the charm" but it's different when it's genuine. Then it feels like someone definitely cares about you and is present with just you in that second they are talking with you. It's a wholesome feeling!

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Charm... it is a certain playfulness... and a lack of judgment... an expressed interest in others... someone with charm appears to enjoy themself because of your presence.

Cality

MBTI Type
ENFP
That's what people have when they are not good looking...
Sorry, I couldn't help to write this definition of a friend, even though, I don't really agree with.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Good definitions ladies and or gents
Very true to the genuine article

Now that you have your question answered,
i would hope that you would only allow a relevant spin off,
and not some discussion about Cheetos and how much they give you gas
it happens quite a lot on these forums

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
I have noticed a lot of people using the word CHARM, when it comes to NFs (especially ENFPs). Words like:

- "She is Charming"
- "He will charm you into changing your mind"
- "Natural Charm"

So it got me thinking, what exactly is this CHARM??
Is it flirting? Is it certain attributes or attitude? Is it same as Charisma?
How does Charm play out in the real life situation?
Any examples would be appreciated.
:D

This is charm:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/relationships/4519-flirting-dummies-intps-5.html#post160442

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
Errr... ummm... something I lack.:blush:

Now don't beat me up for answering that way... I'm so lacking in it that its a mystery to me.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Get somebody with charm, and take a personal inventory.

Then do the same with me.

Whatever shows up on his list and not mine is charm. ;)

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Charm is a warmness--a lot like charisma--that people give off when they are with other people. Sometimes it feels sleazy and fake when people "turn on the charm" but it's different when it's genuine. Then it feels like someone definitely cares about you and is present with just you in that second they are talking with you. It's a wholesome feeling!
B-I-N-G-O!!!!!

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Charm is a word used to signify that a person is a good groomer. Charming someone makes them feel good. Animals do the same thing (by cleaning, petting, giving gifts) and we call it grooming. Humans do the same thing, but language gives them a totally new tool to groom. They can use language to create laughter (jokes), create calmness (security, genuineness), create playfulness (silliness), or create high self-esteem in others (flattery). The common element is that they all feel good.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
^ no.

It is someone's affect that is more or less charming than the particular words they choose to express.

Bah, wait, what's the difference between charm and charisma?

And maybe there is a difference between sincere charm and insincere charm. A domicile might be charming, and in that sense, I feel it is sincerely charming, which means it is perceived as being nice, safe, and warm.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
And how do you know where their affect lies at any given moment?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Dare I say the opposite of charming would be menacing???

MBTI Type
INTJ
Dana has it pretty right. I've always thought of charisma as a trait and charm as an action that exercises your charisma. Kind of like how being funny is a trait but making a joke is an action.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
charm is best served in frosted and lucky multiples with milk.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't have time to wait for a reply, CC, (in a rush), but I'll say this: there are plenty of people on this site that can charm. There are a few visuals, but most of their charm comes by way of the things they say. It's possible that the things they say are clues to their affect, but I don't think affect is really it anyway. Affect could be a component of charm that helps you groom others (like I said in my original post "security"), and it may even be a necessary component, but there's more to it than that. Cheers.

Edit: In fact, if you were unable to talk, your power to "charm" others would disappear.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Yeah, "charm" can have a negative connotation, kinda like the word "seduce".

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
American Heritage Dictionary - charm n.

1. The power or quality of pleasing or delighting; attractiveness: a breezy tropical setting of great charm.

2. A particular quality that attracts; a delightful characteristic: A mischievous grin was among the child's many charms.

3. A small ornament, such as one worn on a bracelet.

4. An item worn for its supposed magical benefit, as in warding off evil; an amulet.

5. An action or formula thought to have magical power.

6. The chanting of a magic word or verse; incantation.

7. Physics A quantum property of the charm quark whose conservation explains the absence of certain strange-particle decay modes and that accounts for the longevity of the J particle.

American Heritage Dictionary - charisma n.

1. a. A rare personal quality attributed to leaders who arouse fervent popular devotion and enthusiasm.
b. Personal magnetism or charm: a television news program famed for the charisma of its anchors.

2. Christianity An extraordinary power, such as the ability to perform miracles, granted by the Holy Spirit.