• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Being Poetic...?

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I have noticed that many people here are very poetic. :) I am not. :dry: I'm not very poetic in my native language and I'm even less poetic in English. :laugh:

I tried to connect philosophy (and what was that other thing there) to MBTI functions in one thread. Now I'm trying to connect poetic nature of a person to a MBTI function.

So,
Do you think being poetic or really good in writing has anything to do with MBTI functions or types?

Ni? Si?

Last edited:

redacted

i always thought of it as some combination of Fi and Ne.

all of the extremely poetic people i know are xNFPs.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I prove that assumption wrong. ;)
Maybe INFP's rather?

redacted

I prove that assumption wrong. ;)
Maybe INFP's rather?

well i know at least 1 ENFP that's extremely poetic.

i wasn't trying to say that all xNFPs are poetic, but rather that there's probably a correlation.

i think Fi and some N function (for metaphors and shit) are probably pretty necessary, at least for the kind of poetry i have in mind.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
I have noticed that many people here are very poetic. :) I am not. :dry: I'm not very poetic in my native language and I'm even less poetic in English. :laugh:

Do you think being poetic or really good in writing has anything to do with MBTI functions or types?

Ni? Si?

I doubt poetry is limited by function. Besides, what moves one person could make another sick. I'd imagine an S's writing style would be more literal, limericky. An N probably more shitty metaphorical. Their appeal would be to different groups.

The thing about poetry is to find your own voice really. Which words express what you want to say, best. Look to write for you first, before writing for others. You can't draw everyone, but there'd be someone who responds to you, definitely.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For once, look at us, the guys who are called artisans ;)

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Haha, that is not correct ;) We also have a romantic streak. Sometimes. I do. :)
I'm not an ace in english, but i'm kind of awesome in swedish. Done some attempts at a book, but i'm not really satisfied. And I write poems quite good when there is inspiration. (Love, extreme bitterness, hate etc.)

And if I drink a bottle of red wine i'm the most poetic drunk guy in the building, fo' shizzle! :D

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Haha, that is not correct ;) We also have a romantic streak. Sometimes. I do. :)
I'm not an ace in english, but i'm kind of awesome in swedish. Done some attempts at a book, but i'm not really satisfied. And I write poems quite good when there is inspiration. (Love, extreme bitterness, hate etc.)

And if I drink a bottle of red wine i'm the most poetic drunk guy in the building, fo' shizzle! :D

^^ Alcea, Jesus brought up something you should consider too, the language of your fluency may not be the language of your poetry. Find one that speaks to you.

Failing which, alcohol works for poetry... or at the very least, it'd be entertaining. ;)

I think ESTPs could tend to romantic adventure escapades. As with ENTPs. We're different only in the way we choose to escape.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP

Me being not poetic has some psychological test proof too. I took some career couseling psychological tests when I was younger. The result was that my skills are not typical compared to similar aged females. I had good results in Ne related stuff (there were a story and I had to make up the gaps in the story), Te related stuff (ordering names really fast to alphabetical order etc.) but not even average results when trying to figure out synonyms to words which meant that I'm probably not very talanted verbally. :laugh:

I tried to connect philosophy (and what was that other thing there) to MBTI functions in one thread. Now I'm trying to connect poetic nature of a person to a MBTI function.

So,

Ni? Si?
Incidentally.. what is your native language?

Genuine poetry for the most part is Ne Fi.
A free flow that is.

Not always.

miked277

MBTI Type
INTP
just based on a very general view of poetry and the people who write it well, i'd say that the most useful function as defined by mbti would be Fi... preferably as the primary function. so isfps or infps would have a natural advantage in the area.

of course that's not to say other types w/ strong Fi or other types period can't write poetry well, just that Fi seems to be built w/ such inclinations.

Butterfly

MBTI Type
ENFP
Yes, I too am poetic :)
Dont know how or why, but I guess what we feel has to be expressed beautifully and in depth- which only poetry can provide. Also NFs are all about creating beauty.

i always thought of it as some combination of Fi and Ne.

all of the extremely poetic people i know are xNFPs.

Agreed :yes:

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
How are we defining "poetic" here?

I can see why people are saying Fi and Ne would be good, and I can see why they would, but I agree with the people who say it isn't limited to that. I think sensors and thinkers can be poetic too, like Edger Allen Poe... he seems like an NT to me and he wrote a lot of poetry and described it as being his greatest passion.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Can you spin us up a sea shanty? :D

Well, of course my dear lass! :D:party2:

Depending on if you want me to sing one of the numerous ones I know and have sung often in the past and present, or make a new one :D I could make a new one, easily, but it'd take a few minutes :cheese: (just gotta love that smiley)

heart

heart on fire
Oh your choice, but a new one would be sweet. :)

I like "The Ghosts of Cape Horn" by Gordon Lightfoot.