• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Being Poetic...?

whimsical

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
what I love about poetry is being able to express an (ideally) emotionally charged moment in ones life in words. if you observe a moment, and learn to take in it's beauty for what it is, and feel bliss in this, you can remember that feeling forever. having experienced something so beautiful, you are now enabled the time, in solitude, to reminisce over the past. you get to choose now how you want to express this moment in words, and you can selectively pick every single word so that it fits the exact emotion and flows with the rest of the poem.
it can be challenging!

I think that a lot of good poetry has very strong & definite connections to Ni & Fi

silverchris9

MBTI Type
ENFP
I'm pretty sure that all types can write great poetry. Se has a sense for the euphony of language, which can be all-important in poetry. How could we have romantic poetry without the "mystical insights" of Ni? Ne can connect this to that to that to that, with the playful inventiveness we'd expect of a great wit (Falstaff = way ENFP). Ti builds systems, and as anyone reading Blake, Yeats, Stevens, etc., can attest systems-building is an important part of lots of poetry. Fi is of course a crucial element of pathos; how could one compose Romeo and Juliet without it? This one is a more tenuous connection, but Fe seems to lead to the nationalism we find in lots of poetry, and the desire for human unity. I find lots of Te in Pope's Essay on Criticism, objective criteria for how the "sound is echo to the sense". To me, poetry is all about achieving the fullest expression of ourselves; as David Bentley Hart says: "the more we become the particular beings that we are, the more we show forth the being of God" (one can, for the purposes of my illustration, substitute "reality" for the "the being of God"). So, an ENTP poet should show incredible Ne in his/her poetry; an ESTJ should show awesome Te, along with the other supporting functions.

Furthermore, I've lately been building a theory wherein the very best poets learn, at least within their poetry, to use more of the functions than most people. Hence Whitman can be seen as a preacher of live-in-the-moment Se or deep Fi as in "Out of the cradle endlessly rocking" and "When lilacs last in the dooryard bloom'd" or Ni as in his division of himself into a "rough walt," a "me myself" and a "soul". Or Shakespeare, who has the most beautiful euphony of language so that you can just listen to the words and be amazed without understanding the passage at all, but also had an NTs love of vocabulary (he used more words than any other writer. ever), and also wrote the intensely emotional Romeo and Juliet, and the extreme pathos of King Lear, but also created the probing intellect of Hamlet that mercilessly analyzes (the "to be or not to be" soliloquy is filled with syllogistic and generally very formal logical reasoning) but also has supreme wit and...

The only one I can't quite figure out vis a vis poetry is Si, but that's probably because that's the function I have the most conflict with/value the least. And my poetry will probably be crappy until I can figure out how to make the Si work with it!

I guess my point is that the purpose of poetry is to express something about how life/the universe/reality/beauty/truth really is, and that one can do that from any conceptual framework.

Antreus

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4/2
Ehh, I like to write. Having a predisposition to enjoying something you do.. wouldn't that in of itself be like an impetus for wanting to be poetic? I was just told that I was by someone here and I haven't ever received a complement like that. I don't believe type as a lot to do with it. It is skill and mannerisms. And when I mean skill I mean like driving a car or drawing, your just making connections in your brain.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Ehh, I like to write. Having a predisposition to enjoying something you do.. wouldn't that in of itself be like an impetus for wanting to be poetic? I was just told that I was by someone here and I haven't ever received a complement like that. I don't believe type as a lot to do with it. It is skill and mannerisms. And when I mean skill I mean like driving a car or drawing, your just making connections in your brain.

Yeh, I think liking it plays a big part. And also needing it as a means for communication. Ne Fi and some other combinations probably breed poets because there is a lot which they can't really put into words for the world, but at least want to try. Poetry has that extra element over writing when it comes to emotional expression. You can weave so much more into it than just a description of a scene.