• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISTP needs help

nanashi

MBTI Type
INTJ
Nameless, dissonance, and CaptainChick, I really appreciate your talking with me about it. I just wanted to express that. It helps.

nanashi

MBTI Type
INTJ
CC, can you see my 8:03 pm postings? I tried to post my beliefs again.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
"I believe there’s a God. I just sense God. I have since I was little. I run into limits or constraints (i.e. hunger, people, mortality, emotions). I’ve noticed I’m not in control, and it’s my sense that somebody has ordered this thing called life. I think about that a lot when I interact with people. There are social consequences and sensitivities. I see people’s idiosyncrasies and their importance as this beautiful, unwieldy, complex, throbbing-with-life thing."

I don't foresee this as being problematic.

"It’s kind of exciting. I’m of the opinion that God must love people if life is as it is. Yes I have pain and heartache, but I see the physical/social responses as protective of me. I've decided to be a Christian. Protestant. I'm not sure about all of my distant relatives. They don't talk about it much with me, but my closest parent (an INFP) and my siblings share my views about God for the most part".

To be honest, as an ENFP who also happens to be an atheist, I do find this as being potentially problematic, (but then again, I am a girl). As I've already mentioned, guys seem to care less about this stuff.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I am wary of getting into romantic relationships. My dad was abusive, and my mom divorced him when I was little. I'm detail-oriented. I focus on compatibility a lot. I guess I don't want to end up like my parents.And I don't like to see that I've hurt people, so I keep things firmly in the friend arena with guys.
So was mine. :hug:

You have hurt people in the past???

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Now I'm getting mixed reviews from the people posting on this forum. It might be okay to hang out with him (he and his roommates propound it to me and some of you say it's fine), but alternately, he could get very hurt. I guess I might have to just ignore this friendship 'till he finds someone, as cheeseburger-poster sd. Sometimes I wish none of this romantic interest had happened. I wish we were just platonic friends the whole time. He's so great. I don't want to lose his friendship. But our getting along so well is why we became interested in each other. I've tried to limit my seeing him. He lives with a bunch of my guy friends. He told me that he didn't think I should be anywhere but there, so I started hanging out again. Crap.

I agree with you, CC, that this is a great pairing. It feels better than maybe any other interaction I've had personality-wise.
He's a big boy.

I'm sure he'll be able to manage. ;)

As cheeseburger poster said, lolololololollllll!!!!!! You're great, I like you! :)

Nameless

MBTI Type
ENFP
you could try this another way. hang out with him a lot, then go party with him. when you've both had a little to drink, you'll both realize just how much you want each other and then you'll hop on, realizing religion doesn't matter.

seriously, though, CC is right (as usual it seems about these kinds of things) and he is a big boy. if he says to go hang out with him, then go for it, he asked for it. he probably values your friendship enough ( and I can see why if you get along as well as you claim) to put the feelings he has for you aside and just enjoy hanging out with you.

but don't be surprised if he tries to charm you into changing your mind:bananallama:

(i was looking for an angel face but didn't find it, and just found that one, which is the COOLEST THING EVER!!!)

nanashi

MBTI Type
INTJ
I just don't want to be like my dad (who hurt my mom)--that's been one of the driving forces in my life. That's why I'm pretty hesitant.

Um, I'd say we hurt each other in my only relationship. I shouldn't have stayed with my boyfriend, but I was young. I met him when I was 15 and stayed with him for 5 years. ISTPs are loyal. We were both immature and wanted to be in a relationship.We were looking at it through rose-colored glasses. We tried to ignore what wasn't working. I finally started to break it off with him b/c he disrespected women so deeply, and I hated that.It was hard for me b/c I felt a misplaced sense of loyalty. He freaked and said he'd change and didn't want to lose me. He proposed to me three days later, and, even though I didn't want to get married 'till I was like 30 or even older, I sd 'yes.' I felt like saying 'yes' was somehow tied up with forgiving him and accepting him. That was a mistake. I went against what was best for both of us b/c I was going along with what he wanted. I was very young relationship-wise at 19. I didn't love him enough.That was wrong of me. I am very ashamed of it. When he sd he'd change, I thought "maybe we can have what I thought was 'meant to be.'" I didn't have good examples of what good relationships were like. Oh, we're not still together btw. :) He left me 14 months ago.

Nameless

MBTI Type
ENFP
I just don't want to be like my dad (who hurt my mom)--that's been one of the driving forces in my life. That's why I'm pretty hesitant.

Um, I'd say we hurt each other in my only relationship. I shouldn't have stayed with my boyfriend, but I was young. I met him when I was 15 and stayed with him for 5 years. ISTPs are loyal. We were both immature and wanted to be in a relationship.We were looking at it through rose-colored glasses. We tried to ignore what wasn't working. I finally started to break it off with him b/c he disrespected women so deeply, and I hated that.It was hard for me b/c I felt a misplaced sense of loyalty. He freaked and said he'd change and didn't want to lose me. He proposed to me three days later, and, even though I didn't want to get married 'till I was like 30 or even older, I sd 'yes.' I felt like saying 'yes' was somehow tied up with forgiving him and accepting him. That was a mistake. I went against what was best for both of us b/c I was going along with what he wanted. I was very young relationship-wise at 19. I didn't love him enough.That was wrong of me. I am very ashamed of it. When he sd he'd change, I thought "maybe we can have what I thought was 'meant to be.'" I didn't have good examples of what good relationships were like. Oh, we're not still together btw. :) He left me 14 months ago.

oh...so it sounds like the religion thing isn't really all that big of a deal and it's more being afraid of a relationship in general because your last boyfriend and parents-stuff you mentioned? I don't know much about this kind of stuff, sorry...but, if you do really get along that well, you probably won't see those kinds of problems

nanashi

MBTI Type
INTJ
Hah! That's so funny, Nameless, because that's what his roommate, my friend, sd:"when you've both had a little to drink, you'll both realize just how much you want each other and then you'll hop on."

nanashi

MBTI Type
INTJ
"..but, if you do really get along that well, you probably won't see those kinds of problems.." He's really great about respecting people regardless of their gender. He's so different from my ex.

It's hard for me to discuss this topic with people, and you guys have all been great. Thank you.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
you could try this another way. hang out with him a lot, then go party with him. when you've both had a little to drink, you'll both realize just how much you want each other and then you'll hop on, realizing religion doesn't matter.

seriously, though, CC is right (as usual it seems about these kinds of things) and he is a big boy. if he says to go hang out with him, then go for it, he asked for it. he probably values your friendship enough ( and I can see why if you get along as well as you claim) to put the feelings he has for you aside and just enjoy hanging out with you.

but don't be surprised if he tries to charm you into changing your mind:bananallama:

(i was looking for an angel face but didn't find it, and just found that one, which is the COOLEST THING EVER!!!)

Great post!!!

Hah! That's so funny, Nameless, because that's what his roommate, my friend, sd:"when you've both had a little to drink, you'll both realize just how much you want each other and then you'll hop on."

And then you'll hop on, lol!!!!!!!!!!!

nanashi

MBTI Type
INTJ
That is the coolest thing ever. LOL. I'm glad I got to know you guys. Be aware that I may be coming back to bug you here in NF land. :)

redacted

sounds like the religion thing is really just an excuse then. you're not over your last relationship.

the thing is, you're gonna have to be willing to put yourself out there again at some point. obviously you don't want to just go through life without trying again with another guy. if you stay in this mindset, you'll be able to find flaws in EVERY guy you meet.

either
a) you just need some more time to get over your last bf, and you're not ready for a relationship
b) you are ready for one, but you're scared

in case a, here's what i see happening. you want this new dude, but you don't. you hang with him, you get comfortable, you let your guard down, you send signals, he sends signals back, you freak. repeat. add drinks/time = you hook up. it's nice, but you freak again. you stay in a weird limbo period until someone gets hurt enough to put a stop to things, taking the friendship away too.

case b: you hang, you get comfortable, he pushes you a bit, you give in, it's nice, you freak, he convinces you it's fine, you freak a little more and make excuses like religion, he pushes back, you fall into a relationship, and you're happy.

sorry i'm kind of a pessimist... (but i've been in both scenarios)

nanashi

MBTI Type
INTJ
sounds like the religion thing is really just an excuse then. (I stand strongly by my conclusion that it wouldn't work. My original post was asking for ways not to hurt him while we're friends. You remind me so much of my INFJ friend. She's great.) you're not over your last relationship.(I'm new to the relationship game, but I'm confident I'm over that dude. We were not exceptionally compatible. What's to get over? When he left me, he stopped treating me badly. I felt worse about our relationship dissolving b/c I felt it was disloyal than about missing him personally.)

the thing is, you're gonna have to be willing to put yourself out there again at some point. (It's insightful of you to notice that I'm wary.I agree. You are absolutely right that I'll have to put myself out there) obviously you don't want to just go through life without trying again with another guy. if you stay in this mindset, you'll be able to find flaws in EVERY guy you meet.(I was just hoping to find differences we could both live with)

either
a) you just need some more time to get over your last bf, and you're not ready for a relationship (I'm definitely over him. I don't know how long 'till I'll be ready to be in a relationship. I know some ISTPs don't get serious about them until much later in life, and I want to be serious, but I can't help thinking it'd be great to be with an actually nice guy now.)
b) you are ready for one, but you're scared (I'm certainly scared, but I don't know if I'm ready.)

in case a, here's what i see happening. you want this new dude, but you don't. you hang with him, you get comfortable, you let your guard down, you send signals, he sends signals back, you freak. repeat. add drinks/time = you hook up. it's nice, but you freak again. you stay in a weird limbo period until someone gets hurt enough to put a stop to things, taking the friendship away too. (That would be crappy.That's why I decided to just be friends with him.)

case b: you hang, you get comfortable, he pushes you a bit, you give in, it's nice, you freak, he convinces you it's fine, you freak a little more and make excuses like religion, he pushes back, you fall into a relationship, and you're happy.Is there any chance we could just hang without one of us or both of us pushing for a romance?

sorry i'm kind of a pessimist... I can be one, too.(but i've been in both scenarios) (I'm sorry)

Nameless

MBTI Type
ENFP
sounds like the religion thing is really just an excuse then. (I stand strongly by my conclusion that it wouldn't work. My original post was asking for ways not to hurt him while we're friends. You remind me so much of my INFJ friend. She's great.) you're not over your last relationship.(I'm new to the relationship game, but I'm confident I'm over that dude. We were not exceptionally compatible. What's to get over? When he left me, he stopped treating me badly. I felt worse about our relationship dissolving b/c I felt it was disloyal than about missing him personally.)

the thing is, you're gonna have to be willing to put yourself out there again at some point. (It's insightful of you to notice that I'm wary.I agree. You are absolutely right that I'll have to put myself out there) obviously you don't want to just go through life without trying again with another guy. if you stay in this mindset, you'll be able to find flaws in EVERY guy you meet.(I was just hoping to find differences we could both live with)

either
a) you just need some more time to get over your last bf, and you're not ready for a relationship (I'm definitely over him. I don't know how long 'till I'll be ready to be in a relationship. I know some ISTPs don't get serious about them until much later in life, and I want to be serious, but I can't help thinking it'd be great to be with an actually nice guy now.)
b) you are ready for one, but you're scared (I'm certainly scared, but I don't know if I'm ready.)

in case a, here's what i see happening. you want this new dude, but you don't. you hang with him, you get comfortable, you let your guard down, you send signals, he sends signals back, you freak. repeat. add drinks/time = you hook up. it's nice, but you freak again. you stay in a weird limbo period until someone gets hurt enough to put a stop to things, taking the friendship away too. (That would be crappy.That's why I decided to just be friends with him.)

case b: you hang, you get comfortable, he pushes you a bit, you give in, it's nice, you freak, he convinces you it's fine, you freak a little more and make excuses like religion, he pushes back, you fall into a relationship, and you're happy.Is there any chance we could just hang without one of us or both of us pushing for a romance?

sorry i'm kind of a pessimist... I can be one, too.(but i've been in both scenarios) (I'm sorry)

eventually there is, but I think for a while at least one of you would push for it. I think there was a thread about this a little while ago...how guys and girls can never really just be friends

redacted

Is there any chance we could just hang without one of us or both of us pushing for a romance?

i doubt it. i mean, maybe you guys won't be consciously pushing, but the tension will be there. and it won't go away unless something drastically changes.

it's not gonna be a friendship like the rest of your friendships, that's for sure.

(but i've been in both scenarios) (I'm sorry)

sure you're an ISTP? lol, jk.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I agree somewhat with dissonance. It sounds like you're afraid of it not working out with the ENFP- because of your previous relationship and your father- but you're young! You've been in one relationship! No two people are 100% similar- and in this case, you've decided that it's the theist/atheist thing. You're going to have to get back on the horse sometime.

It's one thing to forego getting into a thing with the ENFP because you're not ready, or you're just into him as a friend. But not wanting to become your father? The way you don't become your father is by trying and working through problems that will come up in relationships in a healthy way, not by avoiding them altogether!

If you decide to not start anything, I guess your best bet would be to stay away a little until the moment passes (but I am not stellar at this sort of thing).

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
it seems like youre overanalyzing the situation and creating problems that havent actually embodied themself in some way.

from my experience, when it comes to two people of different beliefs getting along, the delimiting factor is often the more religious of the two... teaching others what they consider to be the truth is a foundation element of many religions, while the same isnt true of atheism or agnosticism (past simply wanting to convince others that youre right)

you need to consider a few things... first off, if difference in beliefs is going to ever be an issue, it is probably going to be due to you (for the above reasons)

secondly, you should consider how important it really is to have the same beliefs as someone. in my opinion, allowing one's interpretations of the metaphysical to affect the physical is moronic. it's one thing to conclude something where you really cant, its entirely worse to actually let that affect how you act in the real, tangible world. that is just my viewpoint on it... i really do think it is stupid to not do something that makes you happy due to considerations of that which can have no tangible consequence.

past that, youre out of luck. you cant have your cake and eat it too.