• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Differences between INFP and ENFP?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
In terms of impressions, I find that INFPs come off as significantly more cool-headed and unflappable than ENFPs (who come off as spastic...though that's sort of their charm.)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In terms of impressions, I find that INFPs come off as significantly more cool-headed and unflappable than ENFPs (who come off as spastic...though that's sort of their charm.)

guilty as charged. being introverted and cool headed would be so much cooler.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
guilty as charged. being introverted and cool headed would be so much cooler.

It doesn't mean INFPs are all cool-headed (that's usually INTx...) it means that they're less expressive, etc. They're Fi doms, for pete's sake. However, of course, people of varied types can be more even-keeled or neurotic, and that depends on the individual themselves.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It doesn't mean INFPs are all cool-headed (that's usually INTx...) it means that they're less expressive, etc. They're Fi doms, for pete's sake. However, of course, people of varied types can be more even-keeled or neurotic, and that depends on the individual themselves.

oh, I'm not neurotic at all. I was agreeing with the higher energy, loudness and expressivity.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I agee with the energy, loudness, etc. of the ENFP generallybut there have definately been deviations in this from my observations. Some of the ENFP's on this board seem fairly mellow and occasionally I've seen an INFP come off like a fire-cracker.. (Saturned being one off the top of my head) =)

Saturned, if you see this, its complimentary :smile:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agee with the energy, loudness, etc. of the ENFP generallybut there have definately been deviations in this from my observations. Some of the ENFP's on this board seem fairly mellow and occasionally I've seen an INFP come off like a fire-cracker.. (Saturned being one off the top of my head) =)

I think most ENFPs sort of go between calm, collected and low energy to fun, crazy and wild. would you relate to this?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Mmhmm...IRL, people who are not family or very close friends seem to come to the erroneous conclusion that I am always calm and have some zen thing going on. Even my family does not see much expressiveness outside of my temper (which is usually the result of some "value violation"); I'm not one to express a lot of enthusiasm or get visibly worked up over just anything. Internally though, I feel a LOT emotionally.

I think part of it is that emotion is used to signal value, and Fe types & even Es in general are more likely to seek to affect & be affected by the object (ie. anything outside of their own heads). So they, especially Fe types, use emotional expression to communicate value, generally with the view to impress the other person with that value so they accept that standard. This creates unity, harmony, consistency in community standards, etc (although other E types may seek to affect for different reasons; Pe types can just like to poke people to see what happens). They also are more open to being affected for similar reasons.

Fi types withdraw from the object, to focus on their inner world & keep their feelings "pure". This tends to mean Fi-doms resist being affected by others' emotional expressions, & they have little desire to affect others' valuations, meaning emotion is not used in their expressions with the motive to influence others. The only times you see a Fi type very emotionally expressive is to communicate their own standard to be understood, not necessarily to influence how others value the same thing.

A

Anew Leaf

Lmao!!! I was reading this and thinking.... Hmmm is this about me?

You can view me as an INFP sampling error. I am the result of having an extreme T INTP dad, and about ten NT relationships.... The majority of the NTs hell bent on making me see reason (ahahah)... (I got them back by causing the word "cute" to enter their lexicon... To their horror.)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
hm. i think my default is warm, but observant. mom's Fe/Si + dad's Ti/Ne = extra social consciousness and logic

if safe/happy, i go to more loose and silly and embracing.
if threatened, i go to defensive fireball with hellbent Te.

in terms of average ENFP, i am probably more inhibited, less gushy; quieter, less gregarious; more social-current aware, less individualistic; more analytical, less carefree; more sneaky, less ethical; more attached, less flighty.

i might seem more like INFP if you met me for like 5 minutes on a normal day, but if you hung around for an hour you'd see the E. i also don't have that aura of coolness that many INFPs (probably e9 or 5?) project.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Totally just remembered something else I wanted to add in here..
looking at the inferior functions.. ENFP inferior Si

Ex. that I've seen..

Getting so caught up with things (socializing, researching, reading, whatever the hell the ENFP does hehe) they tend to forget simple body queue's like the need to use the bathroom, the need to eat, etc. until it becomes overwhelming. Sooo true in my case. If I had a dollar for every "potty dance" I've done when *suddenly realizizing* this can't wait, I might be rich.. and be able to sit on this forum forever bullshitting :D

The inferior Te in INFP's.. anyone offer up a good example?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Ex. that I've seen..

Getting so caught up with things (socializing, researching, reading, whatever the hell the ENFP does hehe) they tend to forget simple body queue's like the need to use the bathroom, the need to eat, etc. until it becomes overwhelming. Sooo true in my case. If I had a dollar for every "potty dance" I've done when *suddenly realizizing* this can't wait, I might be rich.. and be able to sit on this forum forever bullshitting :D

The inferior Te in INFP's.. anyone offer up a good example?

can't say I relate to this one. if I'm uncomfortable, I notice immediately. I'm always noticing things like "my hair is a mess" "omg that guy walks like an ogre" "this chair is so uncomfortable" but also good things. usually this will be a pretty bird, a cute baby or a something that's really cool looking. only things that stand out catch my attention though. for instance, if you asked me to desribe a room I've been in 50 times, you probably wouldn't get a very thorough answer

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Huxley said:

Ex. that I've seen..

I actually think this is more prone to happen with INXP's. INTP's and INFP's can be notoriously bad at forgetting to eat or use the restroom when they are concentrating on something. I've never had a problem with the 'body cues'...though sometimes I have to count the days when I've last showered...

:laugh:

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I actually think this is more prone to happen with INXP's. INTP's and INFP's can be notoriously bad at forgetting to eat or use the restroom when they are concentrating on something. I've never had a problem with the 'body cues'...though sometimes I have to count the days when I've last showered...
:laugh:

Really? I came across the following description (from wikisocion, diff system, but I thought the Si function itself would be the same, and perhaps it is not, clarification?) on how Si plays out for the ENFP

* Tends to be chronically unaware of his own bodily processes, including physiological sensations and a sense of balance and alignment with one's true desires. He sometimes has peculiar preferences or tastes, which he himself is unable to understand or fulfill.

* In terms of physical sensations, will almost always choose the familiar over the novel, because they know that the familiar is reliable in the positive sensation it delivers. will typically have a single item he orders at certain restaurants without fail; if he isn't in the mood for that item he doesn't eat there. He will stubbornly refuse to eat anything that he knows he does not like, refusing to try a "new recipe" of anything that he did not like before.

* would much rather sleep in his own bed than anywhere else as a matter of familiarity, but this preference never enters his mind when a friend invites him to stay the night, sometimes resulting in a lack of quality sleep that he will forget about the next time around.

*almost never emphasizes his attractiveness or sexuality overtly and publicly, but dreams of being pleasing to the senses to at least a small circle of trusted friends and partners who are able to develop and enhance his sexuality and attractiveness in a trusting atmosphere. He often will obsess about his looks in front of the mirror, trying to get the right combination of preparedness and liberated comfort. It is embarrassing to come to an event overdressed, as he would rather look like they simply came on a whim rather than over-prepared. They will usually undermine the time spent in preparation and will avoid speaking on the topic altogether.

*When getting sick, may stubbornly refuse or "conveniently forget" to take any sort of medicine. Their chosen method of dealing with sickness and physical discomfort is ignoring it until it can no longer be ignored.

*will frequently forget meals and sleep when excitedly working on a new project or in some sort of social gathering. Exhaustion, hunger, thirst, and full bladders will be ignored until the need is overwhelming and affects concentration.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
^^^^
I related to all of these EXCEPT the trying new food. As a child, I would only eat things that I knew I liked (and I expect that is common with many children) but as an adult I really enjoy trying anything new.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Really? I came across the following description (from wikisocion, diff system, but I thought the Si function itself would be the same, and perhaps it is not, clarification?) on how Si plays out for the ENFP

* Tends to be chronically unaware of his own bodily processes, including physiological sensations and a sense of balance and alignment with one's true desires. He sometimes has peculiar preferences or tastes, which he himself is unable to understand or fulfill.

* In terms of physical sensations, will almost always choose the familiar over the novel, because they know that the familiar is reliable in the positive sensation it delivers. will typically have a single item he orders at certain restaurants without fail; if he isn't in the mood for that item he doesn't eat there. He will stubbornly refuse to eat anything that he knows he does not like, refusing to try a "new recipe" of anything that he did not like before.

* would much rather sleep in his own bed than anywhere else as a matter of familiarity, but this preference never enters his mind when a friend invites him to stay the night, sometimes resulting in a lack of quality sleep that he will forget about the next time around.

*almost never emphasizes his attractiveness or sexuality overtly and publicly, but dreams of being pleasing to the senses to at least a small circle of trusted friends and partners who are able to develop and enhance his sexuality and attractiveness in a trusting atmosphere. He often will obsess about his looks in front of the mirror, trying to get the right combination of preparedness and liberated comfort. It is embarrassing to come to an event overdressed, as he would rather look like they simply came on a whim rather than over-prepared. They will usually undermine the time spent in preparation and will avoid speaking on the topic altogether.

*When getting sick, may stubbornly refuse or "conveniently forget" to take any sort of medicine. Their chosen method of dealing with sickness and physical discomfort is ignoring it until it can no longer be ignored.

*will frequently forget meals and sleep when excitedly working on a new project or in some sort of social gathering. Exhaustion, hunger, thirst, and full bladders will be ignored until the need is overwhelming and affects concentration.

this doesn't describe me at all. I pamper the hell out of myself and subtly flaunt my sexuality all over the place.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
can't say I relate to this one. if I'm uncomfortable, I notice immediately. I'm always noticing things like "my hair is a mess" "omg that guy walks like an ogre" "this chair is so uncomfortable" but also good things. usually this will be a pretty bird, a cute baby or a something that's really cool looking. only things that stand out catch my attention though. for instance, if you asked me to desribe a room I've been in 50 times, you probably wouldn't get a very thorough answer

I am like this, too. Of course I'm also very in touch with my Si, and I always notice when acquaintences get haircuts, etc.

this doesn't describe me at all. I pamper the hell out of myself and subtly flaunt my sexuality all over the place.

Should we be calling you Queen Elfboy instead?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am like this, too. Of course I'm also very in touch with my Si, and I always notice when acquaintences get haircuts, etc.

Should we be calling you Queen Elfboy instead?

if you insist on a different title, Lord Elf, Master Elf and Elfboy the Diva are all fine

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
if you insist on a different title, Lord Elf, Master Elf and Elfboy the Diva are all fine

Seeing as that I'll never be calling you master, Elfboy the Diva seems the most appropriate.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
wikisocion stuff about aspirational Si

i can't say these describe me well either, though for different reasons.

i am very sensitive to my own body and internal mechanisms, and definitely do not ignore medicine. i believe in treating things conservatively (eg do not take antibiotics every time you get a cold, reserve ibuprofen for particularly bad, long, or inconvenient headaches, etc), but i certainly don't ignore attending to my health. i rarely choose the same thing at restaurants (in fact, i've had to learn that sometimes choosing something you know you like is a better idea than trying something NEW SHINY FUN). i sleep like a rock just about anywhere and particularly like to sleep in the beds at hotels and beach condos, and on leather couches (loveee) as well as my own bed. in general i don't mind being overprepared or overdressed - much better than being underprepared/dressed, and it often earns the respect and/or admiration of others. i'm not really sure what emphasizing my attractiveness overtly or publicly means. i like to wear attractive makeup and clothing that accentuates my curves, and i like to channel my warm energy through my body. i don't flaunt, though.

:shrug:

it may in part be that i am from a very medically-inclined family, and learned from very early to listen carefully to my body and what it is telling me. i can easily ignore physical needs when i am caught up in something, but i am quite aware of them regardless.