• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Differences between INFP and ENFP?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
hm no offense southern, but this list kinda grates on me. it seems like a lot of stereotyping. i just don't understand why a lot of these are connected with introversion.

:sadbanana:

the problem with introverted writers who try to make introverts feel extra special is that they end up turning introversion and extraversion into things they aren't. introverts aren't more creative just because they're introverted, and extraverts don't renege on promises just because they're extraverted. everyone gets overstimulated at times (even sx/so extraverts!) and everyone has both close friends and acquaintances.

so as not to be totally counterproductive, i tried to make lists adapted from laney's that are more... well, that keep things to purely I/E differences and don't get into things that really aren't I/E related.

introverted tendencies

1. I like to have long, uninterrupted periods to work on projects, rather than small chunks.
2. I often rehearse things before speaking, sometimes writing notes to myself.
3. I often listen more than talk, even with close friends.
4. People often think I’m quiet, mysterious, reserved, or calm.
5. I often will pause to think before I respond if I'm not sure of my agenda.
6. I like to share special occasions with just one or two people, rather than have a big celebration.
7. I tend to zone out if too much is going on.
8. I more often prefer to watch an activity for a while before joining in.
9. My close friendships tend to be mostly long-term.
10. I prefer a conversational pattern where each person gets a long period to listen, and a long period to talk.
11. When I take in lots of information, it takes me a while to sort it out.
12. I become overstimulated more quickly than many people.
13. I tend to spend a good deal of time creating and imagining in my own mind.
14. I become progressively more drained as social situations carry on, even if I am enjoying them.
15. I prefer to be introduced rather than having to introduce others.
16. I often feel uncomfortable in new surroundings.
17. I tend to become grouchy around people or activities more quickly than many others.
18. I often dread returning phone calls.
19. I like people to come to my home, but I don’t like them to stay a long time.
20. I prefer not to show other people my ideas until they’re fully formulated.

counterpart extraverted tendencies

1. I prefer to work on projects in short bursts, moving quickly to the next thing.
2. I often figure out my thoughts as I am spekaing.
3. I tend to talk more than listen when I am engaged.
4. People often think I’m warm, open, enthusiastic, or sociable.
5. I tend to respond immediately, even if I'm not sure of my agenda.
6. I like to mark special occasions with big celebrations.
7. I tend to zone out if not enough is going on.
8. I more often will jump into an activity and figure it out as I go.
9. A fair amount of my close friendships end up being short-term.
10. I prefer a conversational pattern where the exchanges move quickly back and forth.
11. Very condensed information tends to leave me confused.
12. I need higher levels of stimulation than many people.
13. I tend to spend a good deal of time creating with my hands and sharing my ideas.
14. I become progressively more engaged as social situations carry on, and am often disappointed when they end.
15. I prefer to introduce others, rather than to be introduced.
16. I often feel bored in familiar surroundings.
17. I tend to be the last person sticking around in groups and activities.
18. I dread long periods of time without any contact.
19. I'd rather someone who visits my home stay for a while than to just pop in and leave.
20. I would rather get feedback on my ideas in progress than wait until they're completely formulated.

Last edited:

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
I came up with 25 with the test, more introverted than I thought, haha.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
so as not to be totally counterproductive, i tried to make lists adapted from laney's that are more... well, that keep things to purely I/E differences and don't get into things that really aren't I/E related.

I think some you left out do have a fair connection to introversion, but it depends on how you interpret the statement...

7. I tend to notice details many people don’t see.

This can be a result of not being engaged by other people. It's not unusual for an introvert to hang back in social situations, observing more than participating. It's not a special ability, just a byproduct of not interacting as much. I have a feeling that is what the statement is referring to.

17. I sometimes have strong reactions to smells, tastes, foods, weather, and noise.]

I think this fair to call an "introvert" tendency, because it's referring to easily being over-stimulated from external elements. I can see how you could take the statement a different way though, and then it would not be true.

25. I find my mind sometimes goes blank when I meet people or when I am asked to speak unexpectedly.
26. I talk slowly or have gaps in my words, especially if I’m tired or if I’m trying to think and speak at once.

25 might be more of a shyness thing, but I think both are along the same lines as needing time to think before speaking, so I can't see why they shouldn't have some connection to introversion. I personally speak fast, but will have weird gaps/pauses at moments because of it, where I am gathering my thoughts.

29. Other people may surprise me by thinking I’m smarter than I am.

I've seen the opposite with many introverts. People can think quiet & needing time to think before speaking means they're dimwits. This seems a matter of perception..... Introverts may seem deep & intelligent to some, but dull & slow to others. I've seen many Es deemed quick, because, well, they are quick to speak & dive into things.

Regarding your revised list, I personally don't see the following as being introverted traits, unless we're breaking it down by function:

10. I prefer a conversational pattern where each person gets a long period to listen, and a long period to talk.

This can bother me actually. I prefer a more balanced back & forth. It can annoy me when my INFJ likes to go off on a monologue, and then he lets me talk, but gives NO feedback - I get the feeling he is not listening, even though I know he is. It's seems more natural for each person to trigger thoughts in the other, give feedback, and ping info back & forth. I suppose this is my Ne side though... The other way feels like talking you're AT each other, not WITH each other. Of course, online, I exhibit classic introverted style posting - long posts responding to other long posts as opposed to brief back & forth posts, which is the written version of this preference.

I think another removed, supposed introvert trait relates to this also:
14. I don’t like to interrupt others; I don’t like to be interrupted.

I doubt anyone likes to be interrupted/to interrupt, but if you prefer a back-&-forth convo style, then it happens sometimes. A person thinks you are done, is excited by what you said as it triggered a thought, and they jump into share without realizing you had more to say. In that sense, it may be more of an introvert thing to resent interruptions. It doesn't bother me as much as it does some introverts, but then I may seem to prefer an E (Ne) style conversation in that one sense. I wonder how many other Pe-aux are okay with the back & forth style also....? From my observations, INxPs seem to like it well enough.

11. When I take in lots of information, it takes me a while to sort it out.

I'd say this is mostly verbal conversation for most Is. I know if I hear a lot from someone at once, especially factual info, then I may need a moment to process it before I respond or I may need them to slow down. I get annoyed when my mom starts rattling off dates & times of stuff....I will never remember those facts. I have to sort them out mentally, write them down, relate them to something I can remember, etc.

However, large quantities of info do not necessarily overwhelm me. I like lengthy, complex novels & films. I can deal with a lot of emotional info from a person at once, conversations focused on theories & ideas which requires making quick connections - no problem there.

On the other hand, I have noticed some Es can't handle loads of written info. They remember/process stuff better when there's interaction.

Again, I think functions may be a factor here as much as I/E.

16. I often feel uncomfortable in new surroundings.

This needs a caveat regarding its interpretation also. It mostly sounds like Si to me, if taken too literally.

I can get lost & feel overwhelmed in new situations because I miss sensory details easily & suddenly become a retard in figuring out how to navigate a new space. On the other hand, I get bored with the same old, same old. The fact of the matter is, many Pe-aux will be restless without relatively frequent exposure to novelty, but being introverts, may simply like low-pressure "new" settings. I don't want to start a new job every week, where I will have the pressure of "performance", but I do like to visit different environments in my leisure time, because I can absorb the atmosphere in my own dreamy way without worrying about getting lost in the halls & being late :cheese: .

MBTI Type
INFP
From my perspective, INFPs are more likely to withdraw and introspect, whereas an ENFP would need to brainstorm and communicate their findings externally, to then generate their values based on what both the outer world and conversation have led them to to conclude.

While INFP would seem more apt to spend solitary time identifying their personal desires, ENFP needs external validation, as well as communication, to conceptualize and discern social patterns. Whilst an INFP recognizes its own feelings, actions, and motives, to then form theories on the human pattern based on their own ideals, an ENFP would prefer interchanging opinions and existent ideas among others to then establish their own values, and revolutionize them based on newly disclosed configurations.

Fi is an introverted function that involves personal judgment rather than a group's opinions, unlike Fe, whereas Ne is an extraverted one that requires social interaction and the present to work.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

"Yeah, I get you. But I wish you would talk more."

"Yeah, I get you too. I just wish you would STFU."

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it's not that ENFPs can't concentrate for long periods of time, it's that sometimes I'm compelled to not focus at all and other times long to focus for hours on end. this seems more INFP-esque to me. that being said, I think I'm ENFP mostly because I exude a lot of outword energy that captures people (usually not in a good way). I also offend more people than I think most INFPs would (even on this forum lol) perhaps this is just my theatrical background as a singer and having watched hours of captivating, charismatic individuals and scanned their "aura" which I then incorporated into my own. that being said, I could a confident and assertive INFP also fitting this description.

dude...you're not an infp...i'm more infp than you are but i'm not infp either haha

Adasta

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
ENFP: Why are people mean to all the little animals?
INFP: Why does cruelty have to exist?

ENFP: Everyone seems really down. Maybe I can cheer them all up!
INFP: Everyone seems really down. I'm leaving.

ENFP: Ooooh a fancy dress party! I'm going to be a pirate!!!
INFP: Oh God, another fancy dress party. Sod it, I'm going as Hamlet.

ENFP: That's a funny joke! HAHAHAHA! I'll use that one next time!
INFP: [internal] Hmm. That was a funny joke. Shouldn't show too much emotion, though...*wry smile*

ENFP: Hmm, this plan is more difficult than I imagined. I'm going to knuckle down and try hard though because I want to realise my goals.
INFP: Hmm, this plan is more difficult than I imagined. Why must everything be so difficult?

ENFP: You're a great friend and I just want to let you know that I'm there for you and I love that we do lots of things together and that this party was totally great and I can't wait to see you again next week!
INFP: Nice party.

A bit tongue-in-cheek, but I think it's largely accurate.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I want to bump this thread because I find it interesting.

I'm about 95% certain I'm in the INFP camp, although it's interesting because every so often I have very ENFP-ish days or moments.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am good friends with an INFP woman. We both have the same profession, and we really clicked right away in our grad program.

We have many similarities from topics of interest, musical taste, personal style, activity choices, and attitudes toward life. I feel like she is silly and serious kind of synchronously with me if that makes any sense.

We both kind of float around in social situations, but she tends to be more composed, quiet, and sweet about it. I kind of go into Ne overload at social gatherings, and have a harder time making intimate connections with individuals with so much going on.

I think she values privacy more than I do.

I have a tendency to talk about my emotions more than she does. She'll share funny stories, and talks plenty, but I'm more likely to kind of spill what's going on with me, because when I'm with friends, that's how I get it off my chest.

We just talked the other day about how we feel like the other "gets" us though. I really envy her quieter, more composed demeanor sometimes. She's like what I wish I could be in some ways. Grass is always greener, I guess.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am good friends with an INFP woman. We both have the same profession, and we really clicked right away in our grad program.

We have many similarities from topics of interest, musical taste, personal style, activity choices, and attitudes toward life. I feel like she is silly and serious kind of synchronously with me if that makes any sense.

We both kind of float around in social situations, but she tends to be more composed, quiet, and sweet about it. I kind of go into Ne overload at social gatherings, and have a harder time making intimate connections with individuals with so much going on.

I think she values privacy more than I do.

I have a tendency to talk about my emotions more than she does. She'll share funny stories, and talks plenty, but I'm more likely to kind of spill what's going on with me, because when I'm with friends, that's how I get it off my chest.

We just talked the other day about how we feel like the other "gets" us though. I really envy her quieter, more composed demeanor sometimes. She's like what I wish I could be in some ways. Grass is always greener, I guess.

sounds like the way I click with my ENFP sister. I think it's why we got along so well (most of the time) growing up.

the functions are the same, only flipped a little, so it makes sense the two could be so easily confused.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sounds like the way I click with my ENFP sister. I think it's why we got along so well (most of the time) growing up.

the functions are the same, only flipped a little, so it makes sense the two could be so easily confused.

You guys are lucky to have each other as siblings! My sisters are ISFJ and ISTJ, and they just connect better with each other in a lot of ways.

I

Infinite Bubble

One uses abstract connections found in the environment to fuel their individual feeling values. The other uses their individual feeling values to make judgements about their external abstract connections.

One's archilles heal is the inability to consciously access impersonal shared logic effectively. The other's is the inability to reflect upon stored concrete information to use as grounding points effectively.

One has a more balanced, but less refined, range of judgement. The other has a more balanced, but less refined, range of perception.

S

Stansmith

ENFPs have phases in their youth where they act really dumb and loud, INFPs stay more or less in wallflower mode until sometime in their 20s.

Young ENFPs can be introverted, but they usually oscillate between crazy and hermitic, while young INFPs are usually consistent in non-intimate social situations.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Contrary to what people might assume based on function order, with ENFPs being N-dom and INFPs being F-dom, ENFPs are more people-oriented because their Fi is in support of an extroverted function, Ne, which is concerned with the external world, exploring it & its connections & creating new ones. However, an INFP's Ne is in service of Fi, meaning its focus is to find/invent external concepts/connections which help give form to feelings outside of the self, to form concepts on "the human condition" as opposed to simply knowing themselves. So INFPs are more idea/concept-oriented, which makes sense, being that we are introverts who are energized by our own thoughts far more than interaction.

this is gold. other people should be reading this. this is a major difference that i notice between myself and my INFP girlfriend.