User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    no no...infps are pretty bad about it too. they just usually think it's intp or infj or something..they're not usually confused about rather or not they're introverted.
    Hah... I used to think I was one of those, not because I was cynical or sarcastic ('kay, I'm a wee sarcastic), but because I though F = crying all the time, and I was kinda intellectual and less open about my feelings - I still kinda am. Plus, I'm not a very social person, this forum notwithstanding...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Just so we're clear, ENFP aren't the only type that keeps pestering others about that, are they? If so, I might be one...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    no no...infps are pretty bad about it too. they just usually think it's intp or infj or something..they're not usually confused about rather or not they're introverted.
    The difference, as noted, is that ENFPs will tend to want opinions on their own type, whereas a questioning INFP will want opinions on what the types they are considering are like. This is likely because the Ne-dom wants to brainstorm with other & the Fi-dom just wants more info before they make their own evaluation. The ENFP will be more content to brainstorm forever, & more inclined to re-open the discussion again in the future, whereas the INFP will at some point decide on their type & then not budge.

/massive generalization

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    So would we say that ENFP's are more likely to change their values as external stimuli challenges it? INFP's deny external stimuli and hold tight to their inner values, regardless of how out-of-touch they may be with reality? And is this the reason INFP's appear to have "other-worldly" vibe?

I'd like to get some INFP input on this...

INFP's... how often do you change your values?
    I don't have defined values in the way people seem to think Fi-doms do. I have these concepts of what is ideal, often illustrated in my mind via fantasies, but I'm open to many external manifestations of that concept. When something opposes these concepts in a way that threatens them, then I balk, but then also look for a new avenue to move past an obstacle. So more often than changing values, I simply change the way I see them being fulfilled in reality. When I do adopt a value/ideal, it often comes from recognizing a need I did not realize before.

For instance, when I was a child, I used to say I never wanted to marry; but once I got a bit older, I realized that marriage did not have to mean what it means for everyone else (ie. the house in the suburbs with the kids). Plus, I realized I need & want companionship & romance, etc, and so then marriage became a part of an ideal future in my mind. It was something I could now see value in for myself.

When I drop a value, it comes from realizing something is not as important as I previously thought. Sometimes its life experience, factual info, observations, or simply imagining a new possibility which seems ideal & does not require that thing.

However, I really find the core ideals staying the same, and the changes being minor ones I've branched off of those. It's not that systematic of course. I'm guessing this is not even all a Fi process either. It's pretty common for people to change values based on realizing a new need. However, I think the INFP tends to refuse to drop values/ideals with the hope that a way to realize them will manifest at some point, or if it doesn't, they'd rather live in an escapist fantasy than deal with reality. I think ENFPs may simply be more pro-active, but sometimes less discriminating, trying all kinds of things on for size.

INFP's do seem to have a special wisdom to them, even at an early age, I've noticed. I admire the INFP for not relying on other people so much.. and I feel like a jerk for mentioning this.. so it is in no way meant to be harmful... but I did read a study on relationships that shows partners of INTP/INFP have the greatest dissatisfaction. This study could be total bullshit.. but it's come up a few times. The only thing I can assume is that its the introversion factor, or a difficulty for them to verbalize emotionally.

Again, INFP input requested =)
    If it's the same study I saw, then the INTPs have the most dissatisfied mates, but may be oblivious to it. The INFPs are the most dissatisfied themselves, but may actually have satisfied mates. In the case of the INFP, it's likely too high ideals leaving them unhappy, but the same high standards tend to make them good partners.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    don't get me wrong, ENFPs are awesome, but INFPs are like, magical
    I didn't get this memo.

Besides, we idealise ENFPs back (well I do anyway). The grass is always greener and such...

So would we say that ENFP's are more likely to change their values as external stimuli challenges it? INFP's deny external stimuli and hold tight to their inner values, regardless of how out-of-touch they may be with reality? And is this the reason INFP's appear to have "other-worldly" vibe?

I'd like to get some INFP input on this...

Like the others have said, my core values barely ever budge; it is only the expression of them that changes. And these are common human values and hardly controversial. There are steps that result from the core value and they are more easy to alter the more removed they are from it. I don't really think of the rather changeable sort as values per se but more as opinions, attitudes or approaches. The core values rarely move because they are extremely generalised. It would take a lot to convince me that, for example, "treat people with basic respect", is not a good core value. Over time my view of how 'basic respect' is defined and what it encompasses has altered, as I experience more diverse situations. For me, a major goal in life is refining the details of what my values require of me, the exceptions and how each differs in various circumstances.

INFP's do seem to have a special wisdom to them, even at an early age, I've noticed. I admire the INFP for not relying on other people so much.. and I feel like a jerk for mentioning this.. so it is in no way meant to be harmful... but I did read a study on relationships that shows partners of INTP/INFP have the greatest dissatisfaction. This study could be total bullshit.. but it's come up a few times. The only thing I can assume is that its the introversion factor, or a difficulty for them to verbalize emotionally.

Again, INFP input requested =)
    No, I've read that too and believe it. I think with INFPs its more the idealistic side (with reality falling short). Besides, I generally have problems finding real satisfaction in most things let alone relationships.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I don't think the values themselves changed much, but there is a process here that can go to two directions. You know, the values get all sorts of derivates on top of them, and sometimes the links between the core values and the derivates get so tangled up (because a misconception) that the outermost derivate can be almost separated from the value. So, the more I can clean and order these derivates, the more clear the expression of the core value comes through to the external world. The times I have been out of character, I can see in retrospect that there was too much confusion of the derivates, and the deeper I go towards the core, the clearer it is.

I'm not sure if I make this clear... It is like the core cannot link directly to the external world, so it needs these derivates as paths to different external situations. The core, by itself is unpractical, and the derivates are practical solutions. So, if the core says "no human is more or less valuable than another", the derivate might say "but some are better in some tasks", so I can discriminate people in the real world concerning their skills and such. This is not of course as pure as the core value, but I could not function in the world if there were no derivates.

EDIT: Of course, the core doesn't actually say anything in words. "Humans are equal" is already a derivate. If it said something, I guess it would be "unity".

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    If it's the same study I saw, then the INTPs have the most dissatisfied mates, but may be oblivious to it. The INFPs are the most dissatisfied themselves, but may actually have satisfied mates. In the case of the INFP, it's likely too high ideals leaving them unhappy, but the same high standards tend to make them good partners.
    OA, I'm sure it was, because it touched on the exact things you mention here. So THANKYOU for the clarification! This has been a nugget of mis-understanding in my mind for a while now.. how or why the INFP could be viewed as an unsatisfactory partner in general. It just didn't match up with the INFP profile, and I kept thinking that I was missing something. But to say that it is more likely the INFP that struggles with relationship satisfaction makes alot of sense. I think all NF's struggle with 'grass is greener' issues'.. but I've noted that the INFP tends to specifically hold those closest to them to higher standards (as they do themselves) and I would bet that this comes to play again, beause of the measuring with the internal vs. external. So perhaps that can be an indicator of difference in E's and I's here. E's are more likely to accept the reality of their patner, and I's not as much.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Ah, maybe so.

Elfboy, did you ever get ESFP on the MBTI test?
    well, I've never been tested properly, but the first test I took came out INTJ. usually when I take a more shallow, surface level test I come out as INTP.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    well, I've never been tested properly, but the first test I took came out INTJ. usually when I take a more shallow, surface level test I come out as INTP.
    I'd go with the INTJ. You're probably confused, because you're stuck in an Ni-Fi Dom-Tert loop.

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

I think there is more to the differences between ENFP's and INFP's than just the extroversion/introversion aspect. It's also more than just simple cognitive functions, for example INFP, ENFP, ISTJ, ESTJ all have the same 4 cognitive functions.

INFP: Fi, Ne, Si, Te
    ENFP: Ne, Fi, Te, Si
    ISTJ: Si, Te, Fi, Ne
    ESTJ: Te, Si, Ne, Fi

Clearly, function order (preferences) has a lot to do with who we are and how we present ourselves to the world.

One way the function order manifests and why it matters is during conflict and during conflict loops in particular, which is the dominant function + tertiary function. Since we are comparing ENFP vs. INFP that would be Ne + Te vs. Fi vs. Si. How do these manifest?

I was having a converstation on this very subject in ventrilo with CleanCutENFP and I suggested that as an ENFP he probably handles his problems by sharing them (in a very Te manner) with everyone he knows to get their opinion and to use them as sounding boards (Ne). The loop occurs when he incessantly talks about his problem with no impending action or decision being made and driving everyone nuts.

As an INFP when I need to solve a problem I'm having I often don't share it with anyone (very bad policy btw and the exact opposite of a couple ENFP's I know). I retreat to my cave of brooding and replay events in my head (Si) and get all butt hurt again (Fi violated) and just when I'm about to "get over it" my Si kicks in, rinse/repeat. Sometimes Ne sticks his head in my biz and offers "what if" scenarios (kicks Ne). I finally get tired and Te urges me to share my problem with someone to get some validation and it's during this phase that I actually "get over it" or figure it out.

We all handle conflict differently but my point is that those types are more than just E vs. I.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    I think there is more to the differences between ENFP's and INFP's than just the extroversion/introversion aspect. It's also more than just simple cognitive functions, for example INFP, ENFP, ISTJ, ESTJ all have the same 4 cognitive functions.

INFP: Fi, Ne, Si, Te
    ENFP: Ne, Fi, Te, Si
    ISTJ: Si, Te, Fi, Ne
    ESTJ: Te, Si, Ne, Fi

Clearly, function order (preferences) has a lot to do with who we are and how we present ourselves to the world.

One way the function order manifests and why it matters is during conflict and during conflict loops in particular, which is the dominant function + tertiary function. Since we are comparing ENFP vs. INFP that would be Ne + Te vs. Fi vs. Si. How do these manifest?

I was having a converstation on this very subject in ventrilo with CleanCutENFP and I suggested that as an ENFP he probably handles his problems by sharing them (in a very Te manner) with everyone he knows to get their opinion and to use them as sounding boards (Ne). The loop occurs when he incessantly talks about his problem with no impending action or decision being made and driving everyone nuts.

As an INFP when I need to solve a problem I'm having I often don't share it with anyone (very bad policy btw and the exact opposite of a couple ENFP's I know). I retreat to my cave of brooding and replay events in my head (Si) and get all butt hurt again (Fi violated) and just when I'm about to "get over it" my Si kicks in, rinse/repeat. Sometimes Ne sticks his head in my biz and offers "what if" scenarios (kicks Ne). I finally get tired and Te urges me to share my problem with someone to get some validation and it's during this phase that I actually "get over it" or figure it out.

We all handle conflict differently but my point is that those types are more than just E vs. I.
    Good point.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    I'd go with the INTJ. You're probably confused, because you're stuck in an Ni-Fi Dom-Tert loop.
    I wish lol. INTJs are friggin bad ass!
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire