User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 34

  1. #21
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I don't think taking an interest in the interests of others is BS-ing. It's being polite and friendly. I think a bit of that is better than the other person mentioning what they're interested in and you saying "yeah, that doesn't interest me at all. So how about that Bolivian clog dancing?"

    If you say "oh, that must be interesting, although I have to admit it's never interested me that much", it should be reasonably clear. And still polite.
    I have been in similar situations as the OP but I don't think one should expect others to know the intent of politeness. I usually deal with it or change the topic.

  2. #22
    Member raminda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Also, what you do first is what their whole picture of you will be built from, and in the beggining of talking to someone people actually listen to what you say (if only for a short while), so if you then say "Oh, I have seen one or two french films too, but I have to admit I'm not overly savvy" they'll probably remember it. Maybe.

  3. #23
    Senior Member BAJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    631

    Default

    What I see here is that someone with higher emotional intelligence is interacting with someone with lesser interpersonal intelligence. I'd say my INTRApersonal intelligence is very high, but my interpersonal intelligence can be a bit weak.

    What I used to do is have a vision of what my "ideal" person was. This is like the Shel Silverstein books: "The Missing Piece" and the "The Missing Piece Meets the big O". I'd be like, "Oh, wow, I met that person I idealized about." I'd think we were meant for each other!

    Wrong!

    It means that you are socially skilled. You could manipulate the other person. You could reveal you true self to the person instead of "who they want you to be", and send that person on a spiritual awakening. You could use it to sell them things. You could just withdraw from the person because they "just don't get it."

    So you have social skill. Now what?

  4. #24
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,932

    Default


  5. #25
    Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ
    Posts
    950

    Default

    Tweaking certain things is counter-intuitive to me, because it's just part of my communication style. I can't predict who is going to react this way (and I'm not claiming all people do, I just meant I get it a lot) and I honestly don't feel I blow smoke up their asses. If they bring up a subject I have absolutely no knowledge on or interest in, I say as much but I'm still open to hearing them talk about it because I genuinely like hearing people/watching people talk about the things they like.

    Usually, though, I know at least something about their topic of conversation and I'll mention what I do know about. I have no idea how they're going to take this information. I experimented a little at some parties where I would just listen and not mention crap about what I knew, but that felt stupid to me in the end. I didn't want to refrain from contributing to the conversation just because I was unsure if this person might do that 'latch on' thing. I've gone through this so many times that, like I said, I try to choose my words carefully.

    I think it's kind of true that people, on the whole, just don't listen to each other. I see this for myself when I hear the conversations of others. They step on one another, they ignore what the person is talking about just to talk about themselves, and they invalidate each other a lot (not saying this is done consciously or maliciously). I admit I used to be the one who would listen and validate people because I wanted approval/friends so badly, but I've grown out of that. I try to bring balance into the situation by talking about myself and my own likes/dislikes/opinions, but so often it seems people are so used to being ignored that they just have this massive reaction to anyone who actually validates and shows they are listening to what they're saying.

    If it makes me feel awkward for any reason, it's because I don'twant to come off like I'm misrepresenting myself but when people hear what they want to hear, it can be difficult.

    I know this is probably one of those points that makes people like me come off very deliberate and calculating, but I think that's a misunderstanding. Same thing on the point of manipulation. In all honesty, I know very well and have always known I have the ability to manipulate people with the amount of information they unknowingly give me. I had an experience with this when I was around six years old.

    A friend had this She-Ra doll (it was actually a Sorceress doll with wings that moved) and I wanted it really badly. I had just gotten this little plastic purse from my aunt who had gone traveling, it was a souvenir from Antigua or Mexico. It was just a generic thing, filled with little toys and puzzles. I knew it was not the same value as this doll, but I started talking to her like it was MORE valuable. I exaggerated its worth, made it seem like it was special because it was from another country, etc. I did all of this and more, until she was begging ME to trade with her. And I did.

    I have never forgotten that, because I remember I got this doll home and I couldn't even play with it, I felt so incredibly guilty and horrible for what I'd done. To this day, I still feel shame because of it, even though I was just a child at the time. This stuck with me though, and though I am still very aware I have the ability to manipulate, it has become set in stone in terms of my personal code of ethics not to. Hence, when I'm accused of being manipulative, I can get really upset because of how utterly conscientious of that particular topic I am.

    On the other hand, I can see where people who are like me can come off as manipulative, calculating, deliberate. In regards to the deliberateness, I'm not sure I can argue that because I can be. I don't think this automatically translates as disingenuous though, I don't think that is fair. I think a lot, I'm constantly thinking, I'm constantly aware. That's just how I am.

    I've spent many hours wishing I wasn't, because I see so many people so much more at ease with socializing than I am and I've been envious of how little it exhausts them. I spent a lot of time wanting to be that way and trying to make myself that way. But I'm not. I'm simply not that way. I pick up on social dynamics, I gain a lot of information through body language and timbre, I discover a lot of subtext in what someone tells me and which words they choose. I truly do like the fact I can understand things about people that perhaps constantly go unnoticed by others most of the time. I am not good at approaching conversations in that "small talk just to make small talk' way and I never will be. If I talk to someone, I don't expect them to become a really good friend of mine and I'm no longer the sort of person who is disappointed if they don't (I was when I was younger, but not anymore), but if that's not at least a possibility, I don't see the point talking to anyone at a party. It's why I suck at networking. Talking to someone who is a member of the chamber of commerce just to see if I can get a connection to find work? That shit seems wrong to me. Talking to the Belle of the Ball or Mr. Popular just to be seen talking to them? Again, when it comes to my own personal inner compass, that seems pointless. I approach conversations to potentially make a friend, and hence I listen, and if I know something about what they're talking about, I will bring it into the conversation.

    In situations where people latch-on to something I've said and become convinced I feel the exact same way, it's just friggin' awkward sometimes. Again, my aim with this thread was not asking for advice, like I said, I handle this stuff okay and I do endeavor to toss qualifiers in there and talk about myself as well. It was meant to be anecdotal really, in a "You ever find yourself in that situation too?" way. In some cases, yeah, I get irritated because it seems to be a case of someone so wholly into themselves, they see others as just extensions of what ever they like, think, are into, etc. In some cases, I think it's people who are so ignored and invalidated, it's just exciting when someone shows they understand (and why wouldn't it be?).
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

  6. #26
    Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ
    Posts
    950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raminda View Post
    I think a good idea would be talking about yourself more and them less. Instead of saying "Yeah, for you I bet it feels like you saw this life changing movie and it sucks not being able to share that." you could say "Yeah, I know what you're talking about, I'm the same with Japanese Literature, I read some wonderful book and then I have no one to share that experience with" (or whatever you're interested in). This shows that you can emphatize with the feeling but don't share the interest. Maybe?
    I've tried the diverting thing, but not quite in that way. I'm making a mental note of that.
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I wouldn't call that empathizing to be honest. That's just bsing and making the person believe something false.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    I agree with this stance too.
    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    If you aren't actually interested in the topic, or only like one or two things pertaining to the topic and you don't clarify. Yes it is.
    And at what point do you hold the other party in the conversation accountable for absorbing select pieces of the discussion? ...Or don't you at all?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

  8. #28
    Senior Member BAJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    631

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gloriana View Post
    Tweaking certain things is counter-intuitive to me, because it's just part of my communication style. I can't predict who is going to react this way (and I'm not claiming all people do, I just meant I get it a lot) and I honestly don't feel I blow smoke up their asses. If they bring up a subject I have absolutely no knowledge on or interest in, I say as much but I'm still open to hearing them talk about it because I genuinely like hearing people/watching people talk about the things they like.

    Usually, though, I know at least something about their topic of conversation and I'll mention what I do know about. I have no idea how they're going to take this information. I experimented a little at some parties where I would just listen and not mention crap about what I knew, but that felt stupid to me in the end. I didn't want to refrain from contributing to the conversation just because I was unsure if this person might do that 'latch on' thing. I've gone through this so many times that, like I said, I try to choose my words carefully.

    I think it's kind of true that people, on the whole, just don't listen to each other. I see this for myself when I hear the conversations of others. They step on one another, they ignore what the person is talking about just to talk about themselves, and they invalidate each other a lot (not saying this is done consciously or maliciously). I admit I used to be the one who would listen and validate people because I wanted approval/friends so badly, but I've grown out of that. I try to bring balance into the situation by talking about myself and my own likes/dislikes/opinions, but so often it seems people are so used to being ignored that they just have this massive reaction to anyone who actually validates and shows they are listening to what they're saying.

    If it makes me feel awkward for any reason, it's because I don'twant to come off like I'm misrepresenting myself but when people hear what they want to hear, it can be difficult.

    I know this is probably one of those points that makes people like me come off very deliberate and calculating, but I think that's a misunderstanding. Same thing on the point of manipulation. In all honesty, I know very well and have always known I have the ability to manipulate people with the amount of information they unknowingly give me. I had an experience with this when I was around six years old.

    A friend had this She-Ra doll (it was actually a Sorceress doll with wings that moved) and I wanted it really badly. I had just gotten this little plastic purse from my aunt who had gone traveling, it was a souvenir from Antigua or Mexico. It was just a generic thing, filled with little toys and puzzles. I knew it was not the same value as this doll, but I started talking to her like it was MORE valuable. I exaggerated its worth, made it seem like it was special because it was from another country, etc. I did all of this and more, until she was begging ME to trade with her. And I did.

    I have never forgotten that, because I remember I got this doll home and I couldn't even play with it, I felt so incredibly guilty and horrible for what I'd done. To this day, I still feel shame because of it, even though I was just a child at the time. This stuck with me though, and though I am still very aware I have the ability to manipulate, it has become set in stone in terms of my personal code of ethics not to. Hence, when I'm accused of being manipulative, I can get really upset because of how utterly conscientious of that particular topic I am.

    On the other hand, I can see where people who are like me can come off as manipulative, calculating, deliberate. In regards to the deliberateness, I'm not sure I can argue that because I can be. I don't think this automatically translates as disingenuous though, I don't think that is fair. I think a lot, I'm constantly thinking, I'm constantly aware. That's just how I am.

    I've spent many hours wishing I wasn't, because I see so many people so much more at ease with socializing than I am and I've been envious of how little it exhausts them. I spent a lot of time wanting to be that way and trying to make myself that way. But I'm not. I'm simply not that way. I pick up on social dynamics, I gain a lot of information through body language and timbre, I discover a lot of subtext in what someone tells me and which words they choose. I truly do like the fact I can understand things about people that perhaps constantly go unnoticed by others most of the time. I am not good at approaching conversations in that "small talk just to make small talk' way and I never will be. If I talk to someone, I don't expect them to become a really good friend of mine and I'm no longer the sort of person who is disappointed if they don't (I was when I was younger, but not anymore), but if that's not at least a possibility, I don't see the point talking to anyone at a party. It's why I suck at networking. Talking to someone who is a member of the chamber of commerce just to see if I can get a connection to find work? That shit seems wrong to me. Talking to the Belle of the Ball or Mr. Popular just to be seen talking to them? Again, when it comes to my own personal inner compass, that seems pointless. I approach conversations to potentially make a friend, and hence I listen, and if I know something about what they're talking about, I will bring it into the conversation.

    In situations where people latch-on to something I've said and become convinced I feel the exact same way, it's just friggin' awkward sometimes. Again, my aim with this thread was not asking for advice, like I said, I handle this stuff okay and I do endeavor to toss qualifiers in there and talk about myself as well. It was meant to be anecdotal really, in a "You ever find yourself in that situation too?" way. In some cases, yeah, I get irritated because it seems to be a case of someone so wholly into themselves, they see others as just extensions of what ever they like, think, are into, etc. In some cases, I think it's people who are so ignored and invalidated, it's just exciting when someone shows they understand (and why wouldn't it be?).
    Thanks for clarification...and more stories. I do like your writing style. You seem like cool person. I have my own powers as well.



    Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    And at what point do you hold the other party in the conversation accountable for absorbing select pieces of the discussion? ...Or don't you at all?
    I'd say when it bothers you too much. If it doesn't bother you that they are being dense, the just don't worry about it. I'd probably qualify quickly, and they would know. I'd talk about something else. Or MYSELF. Which is not something from the "Win Friends and Influence People" department. I'd probably deflect as described above.

    Our sales person has a joke. They just do the Penguin wave. "Just smile and wave boys. Just smile and wave." That is, if you are trying to sell them something, just keep smiling and waving. If you are not try to sell them anything (including yourself as prospectus) then I'd just qualify what I said quickly and move on.

  9. #29
    78% me Eruca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    941

    Default

    It would seem your ability to read the other's thoughts or feelings on a subject will naturally mislead the other. When you emphasize, you show an understanding of the other person, if this understanding is particularly accurate and "deep" the other person is prone to believing that you must share the thought in question, in order to justify how you know what you know.

    Then again the French cinema example seems not to fit this explanation. Surely it is perfectly common for someone to understand another to such a depth?

    Perhaps it is your greater need to emphasize with others. This could lead you to emphasize when most people would not, causing your conversation partner to identify common thoughts as the justification.

    I doubt I put this very well.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

  10. #30
    Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    I get what you're talking about but its never happened to me.

    I also have general knowledge of a wide range of subjects and do a similar thing when people start talking about a subject I vaguely know about. Sometimes you just want to show an interest in what someone is passionate about because you find their passion itself intriguing and infectious. But I guess I am more nervously conscious of the gaps in knowledge and the fact I'm not super passionate about their interest and feel the need to add many disclaimers to highlight this.

    But you know, there are so many people that just want to talk to someone about their interests and will latch onto anyone who will listen.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

    I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

    - Emily Bronte

Similar Threads

  1. [NT] People who are smarter than you
    By animenagai in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 08-25-2012, 11:03 PM
  2. [NT] Anosognosia - Being too stupid to realize you're stupid.
    By Blank in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 07-09-2010, 12:20 AM
  3. People who have fought for you
    By Gamine in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-21-2010, 05:19 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-21-2010, 04:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO