User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 39

  1. #1
    Resident Apple Hoarder Kriash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Posts
    125

    Question Reading, but rarely posting.

    I often find myself on here for hours, reading various posts so I, in turn, can post afterwards. But I find myself unable to say anything that already hasn't been said, so usually it results in 15 pages read, and moving on to a new thread.
    I have been on this site for over a year now, maybe even longer than that, I don't exactly remember. But my post count is still under 50.

    I wonder, is this the case with many other people? Or am I alone in lurking and rarely posting? Does it have anything to do with type? I would figure not, but still, I wonder if there is anything to it.

  2. #2
    can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    3,688

    Default

    I can relate to that. There's another member with whom I've had an ongoing joke about which one of us would finally reach 500 first, because we're both such slow posters. It's often the case for me that I'll sit down with my laptop and start reading an interesting thread, but lose any motivation to actually post before finishing it. And sometimes I do have a different point of view to contribute- but I'll be somewhat exhausted by the amount of thought I've already put into it, and won't feel up to the task of articulating what my thoughts are.

    Mostly, for me, it isn't even the topic that exhausts me- it's filtering all the side comments made throughout the thread. The beginning might incite a bunch of different tangents in my head. Then as I read on, if others have gone on tangents in slightly different directions- then those new tangents will stir up even more thoughts. It's especially taxing when the tangents don't even apply to the thread (page upon page of senseless argument, or flirting that seems to go on forever)- because I still have to scan them to know they don't apply, and scanning them is distracting. It's sort of like filling up on bread and butter before the entree arrives- so when the entree finally arrives, I might end up not even touching it because I'm no longer hungry enough to care. I actually usually start writing up a response on Word to the things that occur to me as I'm reading the thread (I'll completely forget them as I read others' responses if I don't jot them down as they occur to me), but many of those seem like a moot point by the time I've reached the end of the thread, if only because they don't seem pertinent to where the discussion has ended up.

    Anyway, yeah- I hear you- about being a slow poster. I'm certain is has something to do with being introverted, and fairly sure it has something to do with being an introverted N (filtering through the possibilities that surface is tiring).
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

    5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    I wouldn't say 95% of the stuff I say on here out there. Except maybe to my closest friends or my partner.
    On I here, I say all the stuff I wish I said out there.
    And Really I am not talking.. I am writing and it takes on a form of it's own.
    It rarely uses up the same kind of energy as talking.
    I find out more about myself as I just kind of go along on here, than any amount of introspection can bring, especially since my self inspection is filtered to neatly fit my vision of how things ought to be.
    On here it's public record.
    I cannot hide from myself. There is much to learn through interacting with others and this is a pretty safe way to do it.
    The feedback is priceless. The reaction educating and insightful.
    The practice for taking on real life, is invaluable.
    There is introversion, and then there is opportunity.
    Nothing is ever as it appears on the surface.
    I post a lot because I am an introvert.
    When I am tired, I simply log off

  4. #4
    Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kriash View Post
    I wonder, is this the case with many other people? Or am I alone in lurking and rarely posting? Does it have anything to do with type? I would figure not, but still, I wonder if there is anything to it.
    Yeah, I read a lot more than I post, and relative to the time I spend on here, I'm a slow poster. I've been here since December 2008 and only have 900 odd posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    It's often the case for me that I'll sit down with my laptop and start reading an interesting thread, but lose any motivation to actually post before finishing it. And sometimes I do have a different point of view to contribute- but I'll be somewhat exhausted by the amount of thought I've already put into it, and won't feel up to the task of articulating what my thoughts are.

    Mostly, for me, it isn't even the topic that exhausts me- it's filtering all the side comments made throughout the thread. The beginning might incite a bunch of different tangents in my head. Then as I read on, if others have gone on tangents in slightly different directions- then those new tangents will stir up even more thoughts. It's especially taxing when the tangents don't even apply to the thread (page upon page of senseless argument, or flirting that seems to go on forever)- because I still have to scan them to know they don't apply, and scanning them is distracting. It's sort of like filling up on bread and butter before the entree arrives- so when the entree finally arrives, I might end up not even touching it because I'm no longer hungry enough to care.
    Wow, I really relate to this. I think in such a random, non-sequential manner its hard for me to express my thoughts coherently. I have to spend ages attempting to clarify things and put ideas in a logical order and tying things together, all the while dealing with those small points made by various posters. Sometimes I even find it difficult to understand what my point is and have to follow the idea through in writing and wait for it to come to me (that's FiNe for you, with its back-to-front logic). And often when I'm half way through all this, I realise I no longer care and abandon the post.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

    I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

    - Emily Bronte

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    enfj
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    37

    Default

    It's not only you introverts! I read/skim a lot and hardly ever post as well =]

  6. #6
    can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    3,688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I think in such a random, non-sequential manner its hard for me to express my thoughts coherently. I have to spend ages attempting to clarify things and put ideas in a logical order and tying things together, all the while dealing with those small points made by various posters. Sometimes I even find it difficult to understand what my point is and have to follow the idea through in writing and wait for it to come to me (that's FiNe for you, with its back-to-front logic). And often when I'm half way through all this, I realize I no longer care and abandon the post.
    I remember an episode of the Simpsons where Homer had a stash of snack bars, and each snack bar was actually an entire meal condensed into one small bar. After assuring Marge he knew what he was doing, he ate a whole stack of them- then he got up, walked over to the phone and said, “Hello, 911?” into the receiver. That’s kind of what it feels like sometimes, which is why I suspect N has something to do with it- though I could be wrong. It’s like things unzip like compressed files as they enter my head, and it takes a lot of effort to articulate what occurs to me in an intelligible enough way to present it to other people. I’ve got an INFP friend with whom I share a joke about English being our second language- our first being a series of grunts and hand gestures, which doesn’t go over so well in the written medium of an online forum. I can generally only participate quickly in conversations that resemble past conversations I have previously ‘unzipped’ in my head (and therefore have already invested the time in figuring out how to articulate).

    There are times when I envy others’ ability to simply read and respond, without having things implode into unmanageable piles of fragmented thought, because posting more helps build a good rapport with other forum members. Having a good rapport with people makes it easier to bounce things off of them, especially if I’m unsure of whether or not I’ve turned it into something that makes sense. People who have previously interacted with me are far more likely to flat out tell me I don’t make sense- or ask me what I meant- than someone who’s never read my posts before. It’s hard to build that kind of camaraderie when you’re a slow poster.


    Quote Originally Posted by _dp View Post
    It's not only you introverts! I read/skim a lot and hardly ever post as well =]
    This other member I mentioned- with whom I’ve been in a turtle-caliber posting race- is likely an Ne dom (last I heard).
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

    5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

  7. #7
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Well by being that way you of course are denieng us to get to know your personality. It's kinda unprogressive if you think a thread has a finite amount of answers and when given the thread ends. one example for a thread having much more potential than that is: a thread can always be trolled and after that you can have a completly new frame of discussion.

    It's of course your decision if you want to say more, I just can tell you, disregardless of what you will say, it is never wrong, cause it is you and reflects the person you are.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  8. #8
    NPcomplete
    Guest

    Default

    I do have stuff to say but as others mentioned, sometimes by the end of the thread, I lose all interest in posting. Or sometimes I have similar views and it feels stupid to post something just to say "I concur". Other times, I feel I don't know enough to post - most people here seem to have much more life experience than I do so I feel "intimidated" a bit. Moreover, in a lot of very interesting threads, people talk a lot about functions and discuss them separately. I don't think I know enough about all the functions to do that but I'm learning (I still fail to see how those can be discussed as separate entities but oh well. The posts are very enlightening.). Finally, it takes so much effort to share and actually translate all those images and hunches into words.

    Erm yeah, so this is why I don't post much.

  9. #9
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    You guys take it too seriously. It's a fact that the more you say the more you'll be contradicting yourself in the long run. That is a problem with all languages made of words. Words are always oversimplistic. Don't worry, just write something.

  10. #10
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    What ? I never contradict myself ! I am always on the same level of development and when I am 81 years old I'll still talk like a 12 year old having learnt nothing !
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Similar Threads

  1. [NT] I joined five years ago, but never posted hello
    By INTP in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-06-2014, 04:12 AM
  2. [SJ] I joined a year ago but never posted, hello
    By Retsu in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 10-03-2014, 02:57 PM
  3. Book you havent read but are curious about
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-24-2010, 02:51 PM
  4. Netiquette - read all the posts?
    By alicia91 in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-16-2008, 08:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO