User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    Ixxx
    Enneagram

Question INFJs/INFPs - what in this list do you relate to?

For those who are fairly confident of being INFJ or INFP (but not 'torn' between them), I'd be interested to know which of these statements you relate to. I don't mind if you do simple yes/no/maybe or go into details. Either way it would be very appreciated.

I have since clarified some statements, due to issues of interpretation. The clarifications are within the asterisks.

1. I often don’t regard things as right/wrong – it’s often just a matter of perspective

*There's a lot of things I regard as wrong, though context can be important. Basically, people disagree about things an awful lot, and what I was trying to capture was the way in which I often regard multiple viewpoints/opinions as 'right' on some level. The level of moral implication or magnitude implied by 'right/wrong' covers a very wide range as well.*

2. If I’m not sure what to do about something, I tend to wait for the ‘right’ solution to emerge naturally, rather than force a decision

*Describes a situation where either more information or more clarity, insight or perspective has been obtained, resulting in an easier decision*

3. I seem to spend an awful lot of time trying to ‘figure things out’

*'Things' in this context could be anything that is part of the universe, including people*

4. I'm often pre-occupied with resolving/exploring negative emotions

*'Negative' in this context can be taken to mean emotions like melancholy, despair, anger, fear, shame, guilt etc., regardless of whether these are perceived to have 'value' or not.*

5. I feel I need other people's acceptance too much – it can interfere with my independence of mind/self-expression

6. I'll isolate myself/risk loneliness to obtain relative independence of mind/self-expression, if necessary.

7. I can't imagine feeling anyone was an extension of myself – this is a totally alien concept to me

*I think individual interpretation rules here - do you perceive a 'soulmate' as 'self-extending' (for you personally)? It doesn't have to be a 'romantic' attachment/partner either, it could for example be children.*

8. I find typologies like Jung/MBTI/Enneagram overly interpretative – I wish there was a way of objectively establishing type

*I ironically hate putting people/myself in boxes/stereo-typing, and think it is more complicated than people make out. However, I would jump at the chance to be able to have my usage of Jungian-functions monitored, if this were possible/painless.*

9. I’ve had a lot of trouble typing, because I see highly contrasting sides to myself, some of which seem incompatible with INFx

10. I often worry about being a ‘rotten’ person deep down, and can feel guilty merely imagining myself as capable of doing something 'bad' or selfish

11. I can be highly amused by my own imagined scenarios. Sometimes what is amusing me is just a concept/abstraction.

*By concept/abstraction it could just mean something you were vague about, like you couldn't say exactly what it is. It could be either an 'everyday' scenario or something more surreal/removed. I appreciate that some people will relate to the first sentence but not the second as well.*

12. Immediate reality tends to bore me. I escape into fantasy regularly.

*I didn't mean to imply I get bored much in the sense of thinking there's nothing to do. I find there's usually something worth doing and always something to think about or imagine - the trick is in the mind. I do sometimes think immediate reality is amazing actually, but it all depends on current perspective and what aspects I am tuning into.*

13. Sometimes I think reality is just there to suggest the possibilities, like the raw material to (psychologically) construct something better or more interesting/inspiring.

*'Sometimes' is key here. It's just another perspective I sometimes adopt, because I don't think reality/the universe has a pre-defined purpose actually.*

14. I hate disorganisation, chaos and being unprepared. I have aids to attempt to ‘tame’ this, e.g. spreadsheets, lists, being tidy etc.

15. I'm more likely to do what the moment suggests as the best thing to do (if it 'suggests' anything) than stick with a pre-prepared plan, if left to my own devices (for better or worse).
    Last edited by Alternatum; 03-20-2011 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Clarification of intent

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

On number one I would say both - I have very intense feelings of right and wrong about certain things, and about others I think it's just a matter of perspective for individuals.

Otherwise, I relate to: 2,3,4,5,6,9, 10, 11, 12, 15.

I know I'm ENFP (I'm Ne dominant, not necessarily socially extroverted, though), but when I first saw the list I thought it just said NFJ/NFP and when I noticed that it was INFP/INFJ I'd already answered the questions in my mind...and I thought it wouldn't be bad to share since I also considered INFP and INFJ as types at first.

MBTI
    Ixxx
    Enneagram

Thanks Marmie Dearest - I'll open it up to all NFs then, so long as a type is stated (either in the user panel or in the post).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

yes to 2, 3, 4, 6, 11, 15
    in between to 1, 5, 7, 9, 12, 13
    no to 8, 10, 14

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by Alternatum View Post
    For those who are fairly confident of being INFJ or INFP (but not 'torn' between them), I'd be interested to know which of these statements you relate to. I don't mind if you do simple yes/no/maybe or go into details. Either way it would be very appreciated.

1. I often don’t regard things as right/wrong – it’s often just a matter of perspective

Depends. Although morality is somewhat abstract, I still view certain behaviors as evil.

2. If I’m not sure what to do about something, I tend to wait for the ‘right’ solution to emerge naturally, rather than force a decision

Sure. Why make a decision if you don't have to? It's better to keep options open than close them off.

I spend a lot of time trying to figure people out and understand life on a deeper level. I don't spend much time trying to figure "things" out. Today, the sales associate tried to explain all the features on my new phone to me. I was lost. Just give me the broad strokes.

I guess it depends on how one defines negative emotions.

5. I feel I need other people's acceptance too much – it can interfere with my independence of mind/self-expression

I only seek acceptance from people I care about. I don't give a shit what most people think about me.

6. I'll isolate myself/risk loneliness to obtain relative independence of mind/self-expression, if necessary.

I've done this for most of my life. Part of it, I think is just introversion. The other part is an aversion to conforming, especially if I don't understand or relate to the convention.

7. I can't imagine feeling anyone was an extension of myself – this is a totally alien concept to me

As in, romantically? I used to be pretty idealistic about love and was quite fond of the thought of a soulmate.

8. I find typologies like Jung/MBTI/Enneagram overly interpretative – I wish there was a way of objectively establishing type

Not sure about that. I think they are useful as long as people don't use them to define their identity and pigeonhole others.

9. I’ve had a lot of trouble typing, because I see highly contrasting sides to myself, some of which seem incompatible with INFx

Not really. I've never doubted my type too much. Any inconsistencies, I usually attribute to an occupational role where I have to alter my behavior or emerging shadow functions that dissipate with time.

10. I often worry about being a ‘rotten’ person deep down, and can feel guilty merely imagining myself as capable of doing something 'bad' or selfish

No more than anyone else. I think people are inherently rotten and selfish.

11. I can be highly amused by my own imagined scenarios. Sometimes what is amusing me is just a concept/abstraction.
    12. Immediate reality tends to bore me. I escape into fantasy regularly

All the time.

13. Sometimes I think reality is just there to suggest the possibilities, like the raw material to (psychologically) construct something better or more interesting/inspiring.

Not sure about that one.

14. I hate disorganisation, chaos and being unprepared. I have aids to attempt to ‘tame’ this, e.g. spreadsheets, lists, being tidy etc.

I like organization within a working environment when there is a specific objective to be completed. Outside of work, I'm not that structured. I hope I don't have aids.

15. I'm more likely to do what the moment suggests as the best thing to do (if it 'suggests' anything) than stick with a pre-prepared plan, if left to my own devices (for better or worse).

Depends on the circumstances. For leisure, sure. For work, no.

MBTI
    Ixxx
    Enneagram

Some clarification has been provided in the original post, due to interpretational issues, which was inevitable. My original aim was to keep it concise, but this comes at a price.

I'm partly worried about mis-representing myself, but alas this is an inevitable pitfall of expression.
    Last edited by Alternatum; 03-20-2011 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Moved clarifications to original post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

I often don’t regard things as right/wrong – it’s often just a matter of perspective.

Both.

If I’m not sure what to do about something, I tend to wait for the ‘right’ solution to emerge naturally, rather than force a decision.

I usually "know" what is right based on gut feeling or intuition - not too much waffling back and forth about what is right.

I seem to spend an awful lot of time trying to ‘figure things out’

Yes I have a strong need to 'figure things out' especially when it comes to interpersonal relations or understanding a person's psyche. I can analyze things to death.

I'm often pre-occupied with resolving/exploring negative emotions

Not really. I mostly get depressed and wish I wasn't. Sometimes I get existentialistic or romantic about my depression, but mostly that's a waste of my time. Depression is depression. Feelings come and go.

I feel I need other people's acceptance too much – it can interfere with my independence of mind/self-expression.

I really don't care too much what others think about me. Although I do want love and acceptance from those I am most intimate (and consequently most vulnerable) with.

I'll isolate myself/risk loneliness to obtain relative independence of mind/self-expression, if necessary.

Yeah. That's where I am right now. Although I don't consider loneliness a risk. In some ways I enjoy it since it allows me freedom and the ability for self expression. I've been caged up too long - I feel like I'm breaking free.

I can't imagine feeling anyone was an extension of myself – this is a totally alien concept to me.
    Don't get it. Could you rephrase the question?

I find typologies like Jung/MBTI/Enneagram overly interpretative – I wish there was a way of objectively establishing type.

Objectivity is an illusion. Individuals are not types.

I’ve had a lot of trouble typing, because I see highly contrasting sides to myself, some of which seem incompatible with INFx

No.

I often worry about being a ‘rotten’ person deep down, and can feel guilty merely imagining myself as capable of doing something 'bad' or selfish.

No. I might beat myself up in other ways, but not like that.

I can be highly amused by my own imagined scenarios. Sometimes what is amusing me is just a concept/abstraction.

No. Sounds like an Enneagram Type 5. I don't live in an imaginary world, but I do fantasize - especially about relationships. And I also have my illusions of grandeur, from time to time.

Immediate reality tends to bore me. I escape into fantasy regularly.

Reality can be okay. You're only bored if you're boring.

Sometimes I think reality is just there to suggest the possibilities, like the raw material to (psychologically) construct something better or more interesting/inspiring.

Facing reality can be challenging in both a positive and negative sense. Negative in the way reality makes us deal with limitations. But, then, much depends on how you interpret reality.

I hate disorganisation, chaos and being unprepared. I have aids to attempt to ‘tame’ this, e.g. spreadsheets, lists, being tidy etc.

I'm very organized. List freak. Clean. Total slob. Piles of papers everywhere.

I'm more likely to do what the moment suggests as the best thing to do (if it 'suggests' anything) than stick with a pre-prepared plan, if left to my own devices (for better or worse).

I go either way, depends on my mood.
    What if everything's an illusion and nothing exists? In that case, I definitely overpaid for my carpet. - Woody Allen

I identify as an INFP.

1. I often don’t regard things as right/wrong – it’s often just a matter of perspective.

I would theoretically like to say yes to this, but I definitely do not identify with the statement in practice. I think people often use notions of moral relativism to behave in really shitty ways.

2. If I’m not sure what to do about something, I tend to wait for the ‘right’ solution to emerge naturally, rather than force a decision.

Yes, and I resent people trying to force decisions on me.

3. I seem to spend an awful lot of time trying to ‘figure things out’.

If I'm interested in them, then yes, certainly.

4. I'm often pre-occupied with resolving/exploring negative emotions.

Yes. I try to resolve anger as quickly as possible because it makes me feel physically sick if it goes on too long. I tend to wallow in melancholy because I derive an odd sort of pleasure from it even as it slowly drives me mad.

5. I feel I need other people's acceptance too much – it can interfere with my independence of mind/self-expression.

I like having acceptance and approval but my mental health is certainly not dependent on it.

Yes, I need to isolate myself to write for at least brief periods or it just doesn't work.

7. I can't imagine feeling anyone was an extension of myself – this is a totally alien concept to me.

I love the idea of this but don't think it would ever work for me on a sustained basis. Have I felt moments of intense identification with other people though? Absolutely.

8. I find typologies like Jung/MBTI/Enneagram overly interpretative – I wish there was a way of objectively establishing type.

No, I don't believe that there's any completely objective way of establishing type. Given the constraints, the more interpretation, the better.

9. I’ve had a lot of trouble typing, because I see highly contrasting sides to myself, some of which seem incompatible with INFx.

Yes, absolutely, but I wouldn't expect any typology to pin each and every aspect of human personality down comprehensively.

10. I often worry about being a ‘rotten’ person deep down, and can feel guilty merely imagining myself as capable of doing something 'bad' or selfish.

Yes, I worry about this a fair bit. Most of the people I'm closest to are very, very warm and generous individuals who give and give with little concern for their own well-being. I, on the other hand, am largely motivated by self-interest. I hate it but can't seem to get rid of it.

Yes, I've never had any problems entertaining myself (or my friends) with my imagination.

12. Immediate reality tends to bore me. I escape into fantasy regularly.

Sure. Life is undeniably mundane sometimes. It's fun to have imaginary friends when that happens.

I don't think reality has a purpose, so no, it's not "just there" to suggest possibilities. Does it have the potential to do so? Absolutely.

No. I am deeply disorganized and while I don't enjoy being unprepared, I don't mind it that much. I'm pretty good at winging it.

If there's a plan and nothing better comes up, I will stick to it. If something awesome does come up, then I will have no qualms about ditching the plan.
    Last edited by 011235813; 03-22-2011 at 07:52 PM.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

I am an INFP.

I can relate to this, but not always.

I am not really sure on this one. I tend to yes, but I am not completely sure I know what you mean here.

I don't know. Yes, I spend a lot of time thinking about things and analyzing them over and over, but not in a way like "how does the diesel engine work?". It is difficult to describe.

Yes.

In some way yes, it is a bit paradox behaviour from my side. On the one hand I think I don't need to (and should not) be and do what other people expect from me and I just want to be myself, but on the other hand I actually DO care about what other people think about me. I want to be myself and still be accepted by other people, and I know that is not always easy. That has lead in the past to the behaviour that I was very quiet and private, not showing much of myself at all unless I know the person really can deal with my real me, or at least a part of me which I can freely express.

I don't have many social contacts anymore besides my family and some internet friends where it is easier for me to be more myself, and while I was kinda depressed about this social isolation in the first time, nowadays I tend to see a positive development. I "relearned" much about myself, because I don't feel pressured to be a "limited/partial" self of me to anyone, I can be just me as a whole. And ironically, this time of social isolation has lead to me being a bit (!) more self-confident when speaking to other people now I am not so close to.

Well, I don't know if that was a conscious decision to isolate myself. I know I won't change myself in a way which is not me just to get over loneliness, though; if I should get closer to a person again, then they have to deal with my original me.

What exactly do you mean with "extension of myself"; that I see myself in another person, as in a SO which I love and see as a "soulmate", or an own child? I am not sure on this one. I like the idea of a "soulmate", although I cannot say I believe with 100% in it. As in children, I know a bit of me would live in it, but as with the soulmate I know it is an individual person with own plans and personality, so I wouldn't really call it an "extension" of myself.

I don't relate.

I didn't have so much trouble typing myself when I started to invest a little time into understanding MBTI. The thing is before that I would have called myself a person who is more on the thinking side, I wasn't very conscious of my feeling side (although it was always there and has lead my decisions). So that was a thing I had to learn first. But it made sense when I read what "Feeling", or especially Fi, actually means in MBTI. In tests nowadays I tend to always score INFP, only exceptions were one time ISFP and one time ENFP (although the score looked more like INFP to me, so the test was weird).

No, not really. I like to think about myself as someone who is in the "grey" zone, in neutrality, but who has usually positive intentions.

I don't know if "amusing" is always the fitting word, but I can keep myself busy ^^

12. Immediate reality tends to bore me. I escape into fantasy regularly

Yes, I can relate somewhat.

I never thought like that myself, but I cannot say that I disagree with it. The current state of reality is not something for me which has to stay like that, I would like to change many things, but I know many people just want to maintain the current status.

No, cannot relate. I am not tidy at all, I am rather chaotic. However when working together with others, I prefer there is a good organization.

Usually yes.

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Alternatum View Post
    I often don’t regard things as right/wrong – it’s often just a matter of perspective

*There's a lot of things I regard as wrong, though context can be important. Basically, people disagree about things an awful lot, and what I was trying to capture was the way in which I often regard multiple viewpoints/opinions as 'right' on some level. The level of moral implication or magnitude implied by 'right/wrong' covers a very wide range as well.*
    I often regard things as right or wrong for me, but there’s very little I see as being right or wrong in itself, in some universal manner. So yeah, a matter of perspective. I tend to see things more in regard to their ‘wanted consequences’ vs. ‘unwanted consequences’.

If I’m not sure what to do about something, I tend to wait for the ‘right’ solution to emerge naturally, rather than force a decision

*Describes a situation where either more information or more clarity, insight or perspective has been obtained, resulting in an easier decision*
    There’s way too many different contexts to apply this to, to give a ‘mostly yes’ or ‘mostly no’ answer.

I may not be sure whether or not to give someone feedback I think might benefit them. It depends on how much they value my opinion- and therefore, how much they’d likely want to hear my opinion; how open they are to hearing feedback vs. needing to learn things the hard way; how confident I am that my feedback even applies, and that I’m not simply projecting something; etc. A ‘right’ solution (and by ‘right’, I mean ‘most beneficial/effective’) emerges slowly in that- as I slowly get to know someone- I become acclimated to these things about them and get a sense of whether or not my opinion is wanted.

I may not be sure which car to get, or what color paint it should be, or whatever. I guess in this situation I’d force a decision, in the sense that I actively seek out information about different cars/paint colors/whatever and make a decision based on that information. Once I’ve made a decision, it isn’t likely to change- unless new and pertinent information somehow falls into my lap. But the new information has to really strike me as significant, because it generally isn’t the direction in which my attention is focused. I want to hurry up and make the decision so I can shift back to thinking about topics more interesting to me. This could probably also extend to things like choosing a job (not a career, but job), planning dinner for the week, what size TV to get, etc.

I guess I like for judgment about things that require direct interaction with the external world to be decided quickly, but I like for judgment about things that require interaction with the internal world to stay open to more possibilities?

I seem to spend an awful lot of time trying to ‘figure things out’

*'Things' in this context could be anything that is part of the universe, including people*
    I definitely spend way, way too much time trying to figure people out. Or even figure things/concepts/etc out too. I get bored easily with instructions that come from without. I become much more engaged with figuring things/people/constructs out than I am with following linear instructions given to me.

I'm often pre-occupied with resolving/exploring negative emotions

*'Negative' in this context can be taken to mean emotions like melancholy, despair, anger, fear, shame, guilt etc., regardless of whether these are perceived to have 'value' or not.*
    I get pre-occupied with resolving them, but I don’t like exploring them while I’m feeling it. I’m drawn to exploring cause/effect of different negative affects in retrospect- especially in the context of noting comparisons with others- but if I’m feeling it, I want the affect itself resolved as soon as possible.

I feel I need other people's acceptance too much – it can interfere with my independence of mind/self-expression
    Sometimes. Not often, though.

I'll isolate myself/risk loneliness to obtain relative independence of mind/self-expression, if necessary.
    Definitely true, to a fault. [An aside: this one sounds more like an instinct variant difference to me.]

I can't imagine feeling anyone was an extension of myself – this is a totally alien concept to me

*I think individual interpretation rules here - do you perceive a 'soulmate' as 'self-extending' (for you personally)? It doesn't have to be a 'romantic' attachment/partner either, it could for example be children.*
    I wouldn’t say it’s totally alien, but I don’t see other people as being extensions of myself- even those I’m closest to. This Rilke quote sums up my sentiments exactly: “Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky.”

I find typologies like Jung/MBTI/Enneagram overly interpretative – I wish there was a way of objectively establishing type

*I ironically hate putting people/myself in boxes/stereo-typing, and think it is more complicated than people make out. However, I would jump at the chance to be able to have my usage of Jungian-functions monitored, if this were possible/painless.*
    So you mean, like a cat scan or something? That would trouble me, because then people would have even less ‘authority’ of their own to determine their type. The whole system is a framework of concepts created by people to understand (and communicate with each other about) an underlying phenomenon. While finding some neuroscientific process- which strongly correlates function preference with ‘objective’, directly measurable observations of brain activity- has a certain appeal, at the end of the day the “cognitive functions” are still just man-made concepts. I see the underlying phenomenon as being a purely subjective event, without the possibility of decidedly ‘objective’ measurement/definition. [In short, that sounds interesting- as long as it doesn’t stop people from reflecting on/questioning how true the information is.]

I’ve had a lot of trouble typing, because I see highly contrasting sides to myself, some of which seem incompatible with INFx
    I often don’t see myself in other INFJs, and it’s not like every single INFJ description applies to me in every single way- but I’ve never really related to another type description enough to question it very hard.

I often worry about being a ‘rotten’ person deep down, and can feel guilty merely imagining myself as capable of doing something 'bad' or selfish
    Not really. I can imagine myself doing something bad or selfish- but not because there might be something ‘rotten’ about me deep down. If I behave badly or selfishly it’s because I’m in too much immediate emotional distress to discern better choices. I see rotten choices as potential consequences for a rotten frame of mind, which is something anyone/everyone is capable of having- not as potential consequences of having a ‘rotten’ core. [Though I do believe some individuals tend to be in rotten frames of mind more often than other individuals.]

I can be highly amused by my own imagined scenarios. Sometimes what is amusing me is just a concept/abstraction.

*By concept/abstraction it could just mean something you were vague about, like you couldn't say exactly what it is. It could be either an 'everyday' scenario or something more surreal/removed. I appreciate that some people will relate to the first sentence but not the second as well.*
    If by ‘amused’, you mean interested in and distracted by- then yes.

Immediate reality tends to bore me. I escape into fantasy regularly.

*I didn't mean to imply I get bored much in the sense of thinking there's nothing to do. I find there's usually something worth doing and always something to think about or imagine - the trick is in the mind. I do sometimes think immediate reality is amazing actually, but it all depends on current perspective and what aspects I am tuning into.*
    Sometimes I think reality is just there to suggest the possibilities, like the raw material to (psychologically) construct something better or more interesting/inspiring.

*'Sometimes' is key here. It's just another perspective I sometimes adopt, because I don't think reality/the universe has a pre-defined purpose actually.*
    Definitely true. I’ve always told people that it’s like I’ve got a television always running in my head- and it’s often more interesting to me (and engaging) than what’s directly in front of me. But then I’m a bit ADDish.

I hate disorganisation, chaos and being unprepared. I have aids to attempt to ‘tame’ this, e.g. spreadsheets, lists, being tidy etc.
    Also definitely true, but it has to be organization I’ve prepared myself, if that makes any sense.

I'm more likely to do what the moment suggests as the best thing to do (if it 'suggests' anything) than stick with a pre-prepared plan, if left to my own devices (for better or worse).
    I can act spontaneously in the moment, but it has to be from design already formed in my head. I don’t do well with shifts that are imposed by some outside influence unless I’m relatively prepared for them to happen.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari