• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] INFJs/INFPs - what in this list do you relate to?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
1. I often don’t regard things as right/wrong – it’s often just a matter of perspective.

Yes and no. I certainly don't see morality black and white terms - in fact I'm often annoyed by people that do. There are few things in this world that can always be simply lumped into the categories 'good' and 'evil'.

At the same time I'm opposed to moral relativism. While it is important to understand context, I feel that we must take sides and decide what is right and wrong. I feel that without this it is a slippery slope where everything could be considered acceptable, no matter how cruel or inappropriate. Also we need some universal ethics so we can know how to act in different circumstances - having too much of a subjective relativist view could leave you paralysed by indecision at a crucial moment and people could be hurt as a result.

2. If I’m not sure what to do about something, I tend to wait for the ‘right’ solution to emerge naturally, rather than force a decision.

Yes, very much so. I'm often indecisive with important decisions (ethics are easy, day-to-day life is hard :D ). I need my thoughts to settle so the appropriate priorities can become clear and the answer will come to me.

3. I seem to spend an awful lot of time trying to ‘figure things out’.

Yes, a great deal; sometimes to the point of being over-analytical.

4. I'm often pre-occupied with resolving/exploring negative emotions

I wouldn't say 'often' but I do regularly. I don't really differentiate between negative and positive emotions; I'm interested in understanding both kinds. However, I will avoid dwelling on certain negative thoughts if I find them frustrating and difficult to overcome - there's no point beating your head against a brick wall and as I said earlier the answers tend to come to me eventually.

5. I feel I need other people's acceptance too much – it can interfere with my independence of mind/self-expression

Yes, to a degree. I have such ecclectic interests and an unusual nature so I don't naturally fit in, and I find people are quite judgmental. I will edit myself based on the audience, emphasize and de-emphasize certain aspect of myself, to spare myself some embarrassment. I'd rather avoid the uphill battle and just adapt to the people around me, because I know they won't do the same for me.

6. I'll isolate myself/risk loneliness to obtain relative independence of mind/self-expression, if necessary.

No, I don't exactly isolate myself for this reason. I do so to relax and feel safe, not preserve my individuality - I don't think that is something that is under threat

7. I can't imagine feeling anyone was an extension of myself – this is a totally alien concept to me

No, I can imagine feeling that close to someone.

8. I find typologies like Jung/MBTI/Enneagram overly interpretative – I wish there was a way of objectively establishing type

Not really. It needs to be interpretive so that it remains generalised enough to cover everyone.

9. I’ve had a lot of trouble typing, because I see highly contrasting sides to myself, some of which seem incompatible with INFx

I did feel so initial conflict over whether I was extroverted and/or a thinker but it didn't take much thought to realise the obvious. I felt my type really described me well right away. I do have many contrasting sides but I feel they are covered by the INFP description.

10. I often worry about being a ‘rotten’ person deep down, and can feel guilty merely imagining myself as capable of doing something 'bad' or selfish

Not really. I do often beat myself up over things I've done or failed to do that I believe is wrong but this is because I have high standards for myself, not because I think I'm a bad person. I do expect that I must constantly strive towards the ideal but can forgive myself for falling short, which is only human.

11. I can be highly amused by my own imagined scenarios. Sometimes what is amusing me is just a concept/abstraction.

Yes. Hence the strange looks I get when smiling/laughing to myself when walking down the street alone, for no reason. :D

12. Immediate reality tends to bore me. I escape into fantasy regularly

Yes.

13. Sometimes I think reality is just there to suggest the possibilities, like the raw material to (psychologically) construct something better or more interesting/inspiring.

Not really - I'm not quite that detached from reality. Fantasy is often more fun and interesting but I don't think its healthy to use it as a complete substitute for reality.

14. I hate disorganisation, chaos and being unprepared. I have aids to attempt to ‘tame’ this, e.g. spreadsheets, lists, being tidy etc.

Yes, I dislike these things to a degree but I'm too lazy to actually do something about it. Its not high on my list of priorities.

15. I'm more likely to do what the moment suggests as the best thing to do (if it 'suggests' anything) than stick with a pre-prepared plan, if left to my own devices (for better or worse).

Mostly. Although I do acknowledge the need to stick to the plan when tempted into time-wasting distractions. It is not my natural inclination to recognise this - I've learned this over the years by the mistakes I've made.

Alternatum

MBTI Type
Ixxx
Enneagram
8. I find typologies like Jung/MBTI/Enneagram overly interpretative – I wish there was a way of objectively establishing type
Not really. It needs to be interpretive so that it remains generalised enough to cover everyone.

I think you're right actually, and if objective establishment were possible that would imply we were all cut'n'dried, with our most interesting complexities ironed-out.

I did start the thread but the content was not original to me.

Right now I am the "Destroyer of worlds" and the "Cobra"
I am always the "Method actor" "The Revolutionary" and "the Guru"

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/45054-many-faces-infj.html

That is quite an impressive list of personal attributes. I would look like a most feeble INFJ 6w5 by comparison, if that is me.

B

beyondaurora

INFP here.

1.I often don’t regard things as right/wrong – it’s often just a matter of perspective

For personal positions, I agree. It's kind of scary, actually. I definitely have my own ideas of right/wrong, but I, probably more than anyone I know, am very aware and accepting of the fact that everyone's mind works differently and their personal truths are varied. I often wish things were universely regarded as right/wrong for the betterment of humanity.

2.If I’m not sure what to do about something, I tend to wait for the ‘right’ solution to emerge naturally, rather than force a decision
Yes, if I have the luxury of waiting for the right solution to emerge naturally, I will. I'm an admirer of happenstance, and I really enjoy watching the unfolding.

3.I seem to spend an awful lot of time trying to ‘figure things out’
Story of my life (when it comes to people, most especially).

4.I'm often pre-occupied with resolving/exploring negative emotions
I'm often preoccupied with experiencing my negative emotions, but I'm really trying to explore and resolve them now more than ever in my life because that preoccupation has caused trouble in relationships (especially with T's).

5.I feel I need other people's acceptance too much – it can interfere with my independence of mind/self-expression
Absolutely. Fear of disapproval keeps my spirit at simmer instead of boiling over. Unfortunately, this may cause me to act out in a passive-aggressive manner with those from whom I am seeking approval.

6.I'll isolate myself/risk loneliness to obtain relative independence of mind/self-expression, if necessary.
Sometimes, yes. Usually when it gets to an extreme point.

7.I can't imagine feeling anyone was an extension of myself – this is a totally alien concept to me
Agreed. I understand that another and I share universal similarities (and in order to connect with others, I remind myself of this), but there are very clear boundaries between us. I have never felt at one with another being.

8.I find typologies like Jung/MBTI/Enneagram overly interpretative – I wish there was a way of objectively establishing type
I dislike that the tests are subjective. I very much wish there was an accurate, objective method of establishing one's MBTI type. With that said, I do truly believe in the Jungian functions and 16 types, and I am not at all opposed to putting people in these type boxes.

9.I’ve had a lot of trouble typing, because I see highly contrasting sides to myself, some of which seem incompatible with INFx
Absolutely. I had myself convinced at some points that I was ISFJ, ISTP and INFJ.

10.I often worry about being a ‘rotten’ person deep down, and can feel guilty merely imagining myself as capable of doing something 'bad' or selfish
First statement, thus far, that I disagree with. I don't feel fundamentally "rotten". I'm aware that being selfish, for example, is sometimes necessary and that it is a quality present in all human beings.

11.I can be highly amused by my own imagined scenarios. Sometimes what is amusing me is just a concept/abstraction.
Most definitely. Just last night my mom said over dinner, "I really am starting to thing you're losing your mind." At the moment, she was telling a story, and I added a few imagined details that would have made the story more interesting. :D People tend not to understand where these imagined scenarios come from and/or why they're amusing to me.

12.Immediate reality tends to bore me. I escape into fantasy regularly.
Yes, I feel this way often.

13.Sometimes I think reality is just there to suggest the possibilities, like the raw material to (psychologically) construct something better or more interesting/inspiring.
Definitely. I don't know any other way for reality to be.

14.I hate disorganisation, chaos and being unprepared. I have aids to attempt to ‘tame’ this, e.g. spreadsheets, lists, being tidy etc.
Uh oh. Well...I am extremely disorganized. Extremely. Extremely. Extremely! I don't like being disorganized, but I love having all my things spread out all over so when I need something I just do a once-over of my place and see it there. I hate opening drawers to find things (I do not own a dresser for this reason!). So I do not hate disorganization, BUT it has caused me major problems, and I'm aware of this, so I am often "working on it" (a pursuit which has resulted in little-to-no progress over the years).

I don't like being unprepared in social situations (because being disapproved of is my kryptonite), but being unprepared in general does not bother me much. I adapt well and always seem to make things work at the last moment.

15.I'm more likely to do what the moment suggests as the best thing to do (if it 'suggests' anything) than stick with a pre-prepared plan, if left to my own devices (for better or worse).
Yes. (As I just wrote in my previous sentence.) :D

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
That is quite an impressive list of personal attributes. I would look like a most feeble INFJ 6w5 by comparison, if that is me.

A few people consider me insane. :)
I am told I am dynamic and unforgettable. :dry:

You might underestimate yourself. That would be Pretty 6w5ish and INFJish of you.

Kriash

Resident Apple Hoarder
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
I'm not torn between INFP and INFJ, but sometimes I wonder if I might be ENFP.

1. I often don’t regard things as right/wrong – it’s often just a matter of perspective

There are a few things that I can honestly say that I believe are wrong, one example is pedophilia, another is rape. But on most things, I do think it depends on perspective the who and why matter a lot when I consider if things are wrong or not. Maybe it shouldn't be that way, but I can't change the way I think.

2. If I’m not sure what to do about something, I tend to wait for the ‘right’ solution to emerge naturally, rather than force a decision

Mostly, I wait, and figure that the right decision will be made known with time, but sometimes if I have a lot of pressure from others to decide I will be kind of rash and just pick something and live with it. Of course, It leads to me wondering forever if I made the right decision, and playing out all the scenarios in my mind again and again.

3. I seem to spend an awful lot of time trying to ‘figure things out’

This is me to the T. Most of the people in my life tell me that I just need to stop thinking and try and live in the moment, but it's really impossible. I always want to think about how other people think, the universe, how things in my past could be different, how to do things that might come up in the future that may or may not even happen. I really enjoy thinking as well, it makes me happier in general(though, not all the time, I also dwell on bad things).

I don't do this a lot, but when I do, I am totally involved. I spend much of the day dwelling and don't do much of anything else. Luckily, this hasn't been happening as much lately.

5. I feel I need other people's acceptance too much – it can interfere with my independence of mind/self-expression

This is one of my worst habits if I had to say I had a bad one. I really, really, really, really, care about what people think. Even people I don't like. i don't like making people mad, I don't like conflict, I just want everyone to be okay with me. My friends say that I say sorry way too much. I can't help it, I just don't like when people think badly of me. But generally, it doesn't effect what I believe too much. I might act like I believe different to make things work out, but I still believe what I always have.

6. I'll isolate myself/risk loneliness to obtain relative independence of mind/self-expression, if necessary.
This one not so much. I think my values and ideas never really change depending on who I am with, although they might seem to.
7. I can't imagine feeling anyone was an extension of myself – this is a totally alien concept to me

I don't feel this. I think that someone can be so close that you are almost the same person. My cousin and I were once like this to a lesser degree, we had the same ideas, finished each others sentences, liked the same things. We were both also INFP. Of course, I think that it wasn't a true extension, but it makes me believe that it is possible.

I like don't like the fact that they are overly interpretative, but I am okay with it. I mean, I think people know that it is a guide, and that not everything is going to be true for everyone.

9. I’ve had a lot of trouble typing, because I see highly contrasting sides to myself, some of which seem incompatible with INFx Sometimes I feel this, but I am bi-polar, so that could be part of it.

10. I often worry about being a ‘rotten’ person deep down, and can feel guilty merely imagining myself as capable of doing something 'bad' or selfish
Eh, I feel this occasionally, but I think everyone with a conscience does.

11. I can be highly amused by my own imagined scenarios. Sometimes what is amusing me is just a concept/abstraction.

I am like this all the time. It annoys my family, but I have friends that are the same way and we think up some great stuff.

12. Immediate reality tends to bore me. I escape into fantasy regularly.

I live in a fantasy world.

13. Sometimes I think reality is just there to suggest the possibilities, like the raw material to (psychologically) construct something better or more interesting/inspiring.
I have never thought this before, but it is an interesting concept, and I like it.

14. I hate disorganisation, chaos and being unprepared. I have aids to attempt to ‘tame’ this, e.g. spreadsheets, lists, being tidy etc.

This is not me. I would like to think that I am this way, but I am a total slob. :(

15. I'm more likely to do what the moment suggests as the best thing to do (if it 'suggests' anything) than stick with a pre-prepared plan, if left to my own devices (for better or worse).

I don't like planning out my day, but sometimes, when it comes to doing things with other people I have to make plans, or I get caught up with random things that I never do anything with anyone .

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A lot of this could apply to either type....

1. I often don’t regard things as right/wrong – it’s often just a matter of perspective

*There's a lot of things I regard as wrong, though context can be important. Basically, people disagree about things an awful lot, and what I was trying to capture was the way in which I often regard multiple viewpoints/opinions as 'right' on some level. The level of moral implication or magnitude implied by 'right/wrong' covers a very wide range as well.*

Yes, I very much relate to this. People think Fi is about judging good/bad, but it's more about creating concepts of good and bad that amount to principles, and when applied in context, this can change whether something is right/wrong. I certainly still feel strongly about right/wrong in a context though. I'm not an "anything goes" person.

2. If I’m not sure what to do about something, I tend to wait for the ‘right’ solution to emerge naturally, rather than force a decision

*Describes a situation where either more information or more clarity, insight or perspective has been obtained, resulting in an easier decision*

Yes, I relate to this a lot also. I consider this a Pe attitude.... I may make effort to seek more info, but I sometimes I do a pure wait-and-see approach if I feel there is nothing to be done or no good options at the moment.

*'Things' in this context could be anything that is part of the universe, including people*

I have a need to understand everything. I almost never will back down from a new concept & admit defeat. I'll mull it over & seek other explanations until I have some kind of understanding, even if it's a shallow one at best. This definitely includes people & why they things (hence the interest in psychology).

*'Negative' in this context can be taken to mean emotions like melancholy, despair, anger, fear, shame, guilt etc., regardless of whether these are perceived to have 'value' or not.*

Yes, I do this also, but less in a direct manner. I often use art, music, literature, etc, to explore the human feeling it expresses & my own responses to it, and consider what it means for me & people in general. In this sense, I seek to purposely stir emotion in myself, even if its upsetting.

I might actually distance myself from my immediate emotions though, and instead explore emotions via a fantasy situation. It's weird how what amounts to daydreaming is actually a problem-solving tool for my mind....I feel like I've learned more about the world this way than through real life experience at times.

I see emotions as useful tips which give insight into matters, such as what is important to me or how relationships should function ideally. I feel the more I understand my own emotions, the more I understand other people also. This was not a view I had until older though....as a child I found myself less interested in other people & my emotions were considered more of a nuisance.

I don't relate to this. I have the opposite problem (and always have had it...). I need independence & a unique identity so much that it interferes with my establishing & maintaining relationships. I withdraw from people, run away, or even scare them off by being aloof as I seek to protect my individuality.

Yes, see above...

*I think individual interpretation rules here - do you perceive a 'soulmate' as 'self-extending' (for you personally)? It doesn't have to be a 'romantic' attachment/partner either, it could for example be children.*

Having a unique identity has always been important to me. I don't view love & romantic relationships as an extension of self. The idea of losing myself in someone frightens me....

I did not find it hard to type myself (or others) once I understood the Jungian types. I don't feel put into a box to be a type either. I tend to view types & functions as broad pictures which describe a major aspect of people that we recognize as personality (namely, psychological orientation). I think personality is rather complex and influenced by more than cognition though, so that's why the types are very general overviews, caricatures almost. and also why they don't deny individuality.

I don't really worry about this. I tend to worry more about wasting my life on nothing significant or becoming some pathetic old, crazy cat lady. I don't think I'm half as "nice" as INFP profiles sound....but I actually FEEL nicer than I think I appear.

*By concept/abstraction it could just mean something you were vague about, like you couldn't say exactly what it is. It could be either an 'everyday' scenario or something more surreal/removed. I appreciate that some people will relate to the first sentence but not the second as well.*

Oh yeah...all the time.

*I didn't mean to imply I get bored much in the sense of thinking there's nothing to do. I find there's usually something worth doing and always something to think about or imagine - the trick is in the mind. I do sometimes think immediate reality is amazing actually, but it all depends on current perspective and what aspects I am tuning into.*

Yep.

*'Sometimes' is key here. It's just another perspective I sometimes adopt, because I don't think reality/the universe has a pre-defined purpose actually.*

Yes...this is soooooooo Ne.

I hate these things too (ie. at work I had clear systems for keeping files organized), but I also hate too much structure. I like flexibility & spontaneity in life. Routine bores me. I need novelty to keep me inspired. I find myself sensitive to disorganization from the standpoint of being an idealist (it is ideal to be neat & tidy, for example), and as a way to maximize efficiency. The idea is to have more time to goof off, and waste less time looking for stuff I misplaced and waste less time putting it away. The "play before work" P mentality is still there. My aim is always to organize to make things easier & faster; if the organizing itself takes more time than being messy, then I might choose messy though :p. I also find myself putting effort into keeping something orderly when I've deemed it important. This can make me seem inconsistent from the outside, but my general attitude towards life is a P one.

Yes, same here. When I make plans, they tend to be general outlines, but they're not set in stone.

Last edited:

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[*]I often don’t regard things as right/wrong – it’s often just a matter of perspective

*There's a lot of things I regard as wrong, though context can be important. Basically, people disagree about things an awful lot, and what I was trying to capture was the way in which I often regard multiple viewpoints/opinions as 'right' on some level. The level of moral implication or magnitude implied by 'right/wrong' covers a very wide range as well.*

I can be very black and white about deeply held values, at times to the point of being unmovable, but for most things I'm pretty flexible when it comes to multiple view points. It's a lot easier for me, if my internal compass points right, but when considering multiple view points I tend to dither, or sit on the fence. If I know exactly what needs to be done it's often a catalyse for action.
[*]If I’m not sure what to do about something, I tend to wait for the ‘right’ solution to emerge naturally, rather than force a decision

*Describes a situation where either more information or more clarity, insight or perspective has been obtained, resulting in an easier decision*

See above. I don't like choices being foisted upon me. It does take me a while to proccess things at times, but my gut instinct serves me well for most instances where I need time to process. If I follow the niggling feeling I usually come to the right conclusion even if my path getting there is some what convoluted.
[*]I seem to spend an awful lot of time trying to ‘figure things out’

*'Things' in this context could be anything that is part of the universe, including people*

I like to know how things tick. One of the things I regret, about my business failing was I went against my instincts in ot taking the time to completely understandhow the industry works. It was at the time, a rash desicion under less than desirable circumstances. One I hope I never have to repeat.
[*]I'm often pre-occupied with resolving/exploring negative emotions

*'Negative' in this context can be taken to mean emotions like melancholy, despair, anger, fear, shame, guilt etc., regardless of whether these are perceived to have 'value' or not.*

Who doesn't want to have an epiphany?
[*]I feel I need other people's acceptance too much – it can interfere with my independence of mind/self-expression
Yes. I sacrifice far too much in it's pursuit.
[*]I'll isolate myself/risk loneliness to obtain relative independence of mind/self-expression, if necessary.Yes. I'm currently going through that now.
[*]I can't imagine feeling anyone was an extension of myself – this is a totally alien concept to me

*I think individual interpretation rules here - do you perceive a 'soulmate' as 'self-extending' (for you personally)? It doesn't have to be a 'romantic' attachment/partner either, it could for example be children.*
Ha! I believe the complete opposite. I'm Sx/Sp tough, I have a real push/pull effect.
[*]I find typologies like Jung/MBTI/Enneagram overly interpretative – I wish there was a way of objectively establishing type

*I ironically hate putting people/myself in boxes/stereo-typing, and think it is more complicated than people make out. However, I would jump at the chance to be able to have my usage of Jungian-functions monitored, if this were possible/painless.*

Just don't but into the party line and you'll be right. It's a guide, it doesn't define you as a person.
[*]I’ve had a lot of trouble typing, because I see highly contrasting sides to myself, some of which seem incompatible with INFxI'm not a princess locked up in her tower of values, to protect myself from the ugly trolls out there either.
[*]I often worry about being a ‘rotten’ person deep down, and can feel guilty merely imagining myself as capable of doing something 'bad' or selfish
OOO...I am.I've done bad things. Although I'm told they aren't as bad as I think. I think I make up for it in spades though.
[*]I can be highly amused by my own imagined scenarios. Sometimes what is amusing me is just a concept/abstraction.By concept/abstraction it could just mean something you were vague about, like you couldn't say exactly what it is. It could be either an 'everyday' scenario or something more surreal/removed. I appreciate that some people will relate to the first sentence but not the second as well.*Immediate reality tends to bore me. I escape into fantasy regularly.
Yes, my imaginary world is far more compelling than my real life. *I didn't mean to imply I get bored much in the sense of thinking there's nothing to do. I find there's usually something worth doing and always something to think about or imagine - the trick is in the mind. I do sometimes think immediate reality is amazing actually, but it all depends on current perspective and what aspects I am tuning into.*
I think that's introverted trait. I can spend hours gazing at a wall, but I have worked out a new plot for a story, figured out my to do list etc. etc.
[*]Sometimes I think reality is just there to suggest the possibilities, like the raw material to (psychologically) construct something better or more interesting/inspiring.

*'Sometimes' is key here. It's just another perspective I sometimes adopt, because I don't think reality/the universe has a pre-defined purpose actually.*
Hmm....I kinda don't agree with this.
[*]I hate disorganisation, chaos and being unprepared. I have aids to attempt to ‘tame’ this, e.g. spreadsheets, lists, being tidy etc.[*]
Ah, no.
I'm more likely to do what the moment suggests as the best thing to do (if it 'suggests' anything) than stick with a pre-prepared plan, if left to my own devices (for better or worse).yes

I'm a card carrying INFP

musttry

MBTI Type
INFJ

Exactly

No, I rather decide than be unsure, or at least, set off the process of finding the answer.

Yup. Yay introverts.

Yup. Yay NFs (and humans in general I guess)

Uh, nope. I need acceptance from a few people but I’d rather be comfortable with myself and come off as weird than seek acceptance.

I like solitude but keep a healthy network of friends going. So nope.

Hmm, no. Sounds like emotional dependence to me. Or, you’re a woman and just gave birth!!

It would be reassuring. Nevertheless, I think a better course of action is to pick and choose what is real for you.

9. I’ve had a lot of trouble typing, because I see highly contrasting sides to myself, some of which seem incompatible with INFx

I think that’s normal. There are only 16 types, they can’t possibly account for all nuances. Just pick what is true for you.

Good old guilt and shame! Perfectly normal. Just keep on self discovering.

Don’t really know what to say.

12. Immediate reality tends to bore me. I escape into fantasy regularly

Me too! Although I escape into future projects rather than leisurely activities.

Is this one of your number 11’s?

I agree, mostly. Although hate is a big word. I tend to keep things minimally organised. I used to be more anal, but not anymore.

My trick is to keep reviewing the plan as new information comes in. For example, I have to deal with many projects at once at work. I have a pre-established plan but modify it every week to make sure it is realistic.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
[*]I often don’t regard things as right/wrong – it’s often just a matter of perspective (Wrong)

* i am confident in my perception of right vs wrong. i believe in individualism, gender equality, autonomy, freedom very strongly.

[*]If I’m not sure what to do about something, I tend to wait for the ‘right’ solution to emerge naturally, rather than force a decision (Right)

* i could spend months trying to figure something out until i have that moment. i like to go with life's flow and wait for how things turn out.

[*]I seem to spend an awful lot of time trying to ‘figure things out’ (Right)

[*]I'm often pre-occupied with resolving/exploring negative emotions (Right)

* not because I enjoy wallowing but because only after I have thought things through and through, I can learn from my mistakes and become a better person. better includes being more competent and ethical. i am a very fast learner because i don't let things slide. i analyze until i have figured it out and learned something. it's like expelling toxin.

[*]I feel I need other people's acceptance too much – it can interfere with my independence of mind/self-expression (No)

* Even though I want to be accepted by everyone, I wouldn't go as far as letting go of my independence.

[*]I'll isolate myself/risk loneliness to obtain relative independence of mind/self-expression, if necessary. (Right)

[*]I can't imagine feeling anyone was an extension of myself – this is a totally alien concept to me. (...)

* I naturally feel that some children are an extension of myself when we share important core traits. I don't usually feel that way with grown people though.

[*]I find typologies like Jung/MBTI/Enneagram overly interpretative – I wish there was a way of objectively establishing type (...)

There are some really awful and inaccurate perceptions of INFPs and of other typesl. I think more objective but at the same time, the details should be personal and colorful as well. Otherwise, it'd be rather boring and no one will be able to relate to it.

[*]I’ve had a lot of trouble typing, because I see highly contrasting sides to myself, some of which seem incompatible with INFx (True)

[*]I often worry about being a ‘rotten’ person deep down, and can feel guilty merely imagining myself as capable of doing something 'bad' or selfish (Wrong)

* I forgive all the mistakes I have made regarding being selfish and using bad judgment. It's a part of growing and learning, sometimes it's also about experiencing and experimenting. I have never thought myself as a bad or rotten person. Imperfect, but I believe I am good, compared to all the craps out there.

[*]I can be highly amused by my own imagined scenarios. Sometimes what is amusing me is just a concept/abstraction. (Right)

[*]Immediate reality tends to bore me. I escape into fantasy regularly. (Right

[*]Sometimes I think reality is just there to suggest the possibilities, like the raw material to (psychologically) construct something better or more interesting/inspiring. (Wrong.)

* I am interested by the reality and I enjoy being anchored to it. That doesn't mean I don't love possibilities because I do. I just hate complete head in the clouds thinking. It's inefficient and useless. I want to see tangible results and walk a tangible path. Reality is extremely important to me.

[*]I hate disorganisation, chaos and being unprepared. I have aids to attempt to ‘tame’ this, e.g. spreadsheets, lists, being tidy etc. (Wrong)

I hate being unprepared but I am not a neat-freak.

[*]I'm more likely to do what the moment suggests as the best thing to do (if it 'suggests' anything) than stick with a pre-prepared plan, if left to my own devices (for better or worse). (Right)

* I like to leave room for options.

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
If I'm an NF (which is not certain), then I'm an INFP. In the other case, I'm an INTP.

True! Except for something very sick, like torturing and killing people just for fun-- of course I regard things like that as wrong, bad and horrible!

True!

Hmm... Depends on the "things". I guess, yeah. I spend more time trying to figure out the problem of morality or the universe or a math problem etc. However, usually when people say things like this, they seem to mean that they spend a lot of time trying to figure out their relationships with other people or something like that. I don't think about my relationships with other people all that much. I do try to figure out myself (because I happen to have a lot of emotional problems, for one) but I'm not a relationship-analyser.

Not really. My therapist actually tells me that I have difficulties even recognising my own emotions. He also says that I seem to guard my painful spots particularly carefully. I guess I should try and explore my pains if that helps me with my depression etc but I'm not too excited about going there. :/

Yes. Well, as a child I was like this. Now I'm the opposite. I deny myself that I need anyone's acceptance.

Yes.

An extension of myself? Whoa, that sounds sick. :/ What does it mean?

Yes, I find typologies only interpretative. I don't know if I even wish there was a way to objectively establish type.

YES!

No.

Yeah, sure.

Yeah, I guess. Escaping isn't always good, though. I'm learning to meditate and part of meditation is being entirely in the here and the now, not in any fantasy world. So far, meditation (=concentration on immediate reality) has made me feel good, sometimes even miraculous. It has also made me experience that there is a greater truth beyond this immediate world, something that is even beyond imagination and fantasy.

Hmm... I'm not sure what this means, so I guess no.

Partly, yes. However, I am extremely chaotic and disorganised.

Yeah.

Alternatum

MBTI Type
Ixxx
Enneagram
You might underestimate yourself. That would be Pretty 6w5ish and INFJish of you.

Is it really? I wonder if it's 6w5ish to not id with flattering descriptions of types (hence I've found the Enneagram a bit easier, 'funnily' enough). I'd much rather think of myself as a miserable bastard and then be pleasantly surprised than the other way around, and this is probably one of the most 6w5ish things about me. On the other hand there's the sitting on the fence namby-pamby me, which 'nods' more to 6w7.

Last edited:

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Overestimating yourself is also a type of underestimation. Some INFJs seem to be great at this one too :)

Your "miserable bastard" philosophy is something I apply to the promises I make to people.
If I sell myself short then I am more likely to impress, than if I sell myself tall and then disappoint.
Interesting.

Alternatum

MBTI Type
Ixxx
Enneagram
Well this thread has certainly given me food for thought. Thanks again everyone!

I have a need to understand everything. I almost never will back down from a new concept & admit defeat. I'll mull it over & seek other explanations until I have some kind of understanding, even if it's a shallow one at best. This definitely includes people & why they things (hence the interest in psychology).

Yes, hence how I just can't leave the goddamn MBTI alone.

I might actually distance myself from my immediate emotions though, and instead explore emotions via a fantasy situation. It's weird how what amounts to daydreaming is actually a problem-solving tool for my mind....I feel like I've learned more about the world this way than through real life experience at times.

I use fantasy to explore pretty much everything, but unfortunately it often becomes a substitute for 'real' life.

Yes...this is soooooooo Ne.

I appear to very much have the spirit of Ne, but without using it for anything much that is practical.

Is this one of your number 11’s?

I love the way this point has been so differently interpreted, but basically yes, in this case the possibilities for comedy, for the sake of 'balance' :)

Alternatum

MBTI Type
Ixxx
Enneagram
If I'm an NF (which is not certain), then I'm an INFP. In the other case, I'm an INTP.

1. I seem to spend an awful lot of time trying to ‘figure things out’

Hmm... Depends on the "things". I guess, yeah. I spend more time trying to figure out the problem of morality or the universe or a math problem etc. However, usually when people say things like this, they seem to mean that they spend a lot of time trying to figure out their relationships with other people or something like that. I don't think about my relationships with other people all that much. I do try to figure out myself (because I happen to have a lot of emotional problems, for one) but I'm not a relationship-analyser.

2. I'm often pre-occupied with resolving/exploring negative emotions

Not really. My therapist actually tells me that I have difficulties even recognising my own emotions. He also says that I seem to guard my painful spots particularly carefully. I guess I should try and explore my pains if that helps me with my depression etc but I'm not too excited about going there. :/
  3. I can't imagine feeling anyone was an extension of myself – this is a totally alien concept to me

An extension of myself? Whoa, that sounds sick. :/ What does it mean?
  4. I’ve had a lot of trouble typing, because I see highly contrasting sides to myself, some of which seem incompatible with INFx

YES!

5. I often worry about being a ‘rotten’ person deep down, and can feel guilty merely imagining myself as capable of doing something 'bad' or selfish

No.

And whence you re-conceived the NF 'concept' :newwink:

Yeah, I guess. Escaping isn't always good, though. I'm learning to meditate and part of meditation is being entirely in the here and the now, not in any fantasy world. So far, meditation (=concentration on immediate reality) has made me feel good, sometimes even miraculous. It has also made me experience that there is a greater truth beyond this immediate world, something that is even beyond imagination and fantasy.

I intend to try meditation again. It's amazing how even mundane objects can 'magically' take on a new quality if you stare at them in the right way.

Last edited:

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
2.If I’m not sure what to do about something, I tend to wait for the ‘right’ solution to emerge naturally, rather than force a decision.

3. I seem to spend an awful lot of time trying to ‘figure things out’.

4. I'm often pre-occupied with resolving/exploring negative emotions.

5. I feel I need other people's acceptance too much – it can interfere with my independence of mind/self-expression.

15.I'm more likely to do what the moment suggests as the best thing to do (if it 'suggests' anything) than stick with a pre-prepared plan, if left to my own devices (for better or worse).

ON A SIDE NOTE:

I hate disorganisation, chaos and being unprepared. But I'm usually caught there, I for one am organized in what I feel/think should be organized & am disorganized in the rest.

You're in your INFx phase - what am I stage that assumes possibilities which actually make you more of an INFP. The will to make you go back and clarify makes you an INFP. I think in our heads all INFPs are disorganized, even if we are externally organized and grammar-nazis, - some don't understand how much we really are.

I can be INXP (as male INFPs tend to have variable Te) and it could make me more of an organized/critical person.

I’ve had a lot of trouble typing, BECAUSE OF THE FLOW OF IDEAS IN MY HEAD...
and I can see that I have a soulmate as an extension of myself, - that's why we INFPs choose our amigos wisely.

My perspective is right/wrong, but that's just how I categorize, everything else is done through the big picture, - most of everything actually.

Alternatum

MBTI Type
Ixxx
Enneagram
I hate disorganisation, chaos and being unprepared. But I'm usually caught there, I for one am organized in what I feel/think should be organized & am disorganized in the rest.

I wonder if you mean you have a vision of how you would like to be organised, but in practice...things just keep changing, impulses crop up etc.

You're in your INFx phase - what am I stage that assumes possibilities which actually make you more of an INFP. The will to make you go back and clarify makes you an INFP. I think in our heads all INFPs are disorganized, even if we are externally organized and grammar-nazis, - some don't understand how much we really are.

As in, the will to go back and clarify what I meant by each statement, or to clarify my personality/MBTI/Jung?

My perspective is right/wrong, but that's just how I categorize, everything else is done through the big picture, - most of everything actually.

It's complicated for me. Often I've tried to find the best or 'right' perspective, only to think aren't these two/three/four views equally valid in their own way?

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I wonder if you mean you have a vision of how you would like to be organised, but in practice...things just keep changing, impulses crop up etc.

It's just plainly that, I would use organization in a way that I feel it's appropriate, - like organizing files next to an organized CD rack. But I'd pile my clothes up in my closet without paying attention at all. So I guess you could say that, but organization as I've heard doesn't affect personality apparently. There are INFPs who are much more organized than some INFJs out there.

As in, the will to go back and clarify what I meant by each statement, or to clarify my personality/MBTI/Jung?
In any way. If you're an INFP, the flow of ideas in your head makes it harder to clarify what you really mean, whether it's how a sentence looks/sounds, or how much it expresses what you're trying to mean.

It's complicated for me. Often I've tried to find the best or 'right' perspective, only to think aren't these two/three/four views equally valid in their own way?

The views are pretty much what you incline to more, I'm actually literally an inxx but that's impossible in mbti, but I incline toward more INFP views, - that bit of inclination means a lot to your behavior by my experience, - even though you wouldn't notice it at first.

But if you knew me it would be pretty clear that I'm an INXP. INFXs aren't possible types of mbti because INFJ and INFP functions (the thing they're practically based on) are totally opposite. But INXPs are possible because INFPs and INTPs share the same functions, except they use them in a different order.
INXPs sometimes mistake their variable Thinking(Te) function, for the organization/order that INFJs posses.

I think you're an INFP 'cause you consider the possibilities which is a pretty big trait of INFPs, - another big hint would be how you said the views are 'equal in their own way' which is a very mediating INFP statement, - like 'why can't we all get along?' . :D. (no scrutiny)

Hopefully you understand my blabber, g'day/g'night. :)

stellachiara

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9

*I have a definite sense of right and wrong, though my standards for what I consider right and wrong are unusual and can't really be predicted by any normal system of morality.

*I won't make a decision until I get the go-ahead from my intuition, so maybe that's what you're saying here.

*I guess I used to, but I think I've gotten to the point where I've figured a lot of stuff out by now :D

*That used to be true for me, yes. I resolved most of them and I don't have to do that anymore.

* I was like that with my family until recently, but was never really like that outside the family.

*Heck yeah.

*I think if one feels that other people are an extension of themselves, that is a problem that needs to be resolved with therapy.

*No. If it were objectively establishable, it wouldn't be sophisticated enough to handle the true complexity of personality.

*Nope, I'm an INFJ right down the line, with no deviations.

10. I often worry about being a ‘rotten’ person deep down, and can feel guilty merely imagining myself as capable of doing something 'bad' or selfish.

*No way! I'm just a person, which means I'm not better or worse than anyone else.

*Sometimes, but i wouldn't spend too much time doing this.

*Maybe when I was younger and had less control over my environment and what I do with my time. I am pretty good at visualizing things for a specific purpose (something I want to achieve or accomplish), but escape into fantasy isn't something I do. I like being here where I am. Plus, I know I am effective if I stay here instead of escaping and thus letting other people make the decisions for me.

*If it's just in your head, it's not actually happening. We're not brains in jars. Reality is something that has be faced, and then you have a chance to make it better. If you abdicate and escape into fantasy, reality continues without you having any say in what happens to you.

*I don't like chaos, and I like to be prepared, but I have a pretty good tolerance for disorganization. Lists and spreadsheets never really worked for me, but putting things on my Outlook calendar and setting reminders seems to do the trick.

*Sure, but I'm always aiming for the better :) If it is better to stick to plan, I'll do that. If it's better to deviate from it, that's what I'll do. But I usually won't deviate from the plan just for the heck of it.

d'lene

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w6
1.I often don’t regard things as right/wrong – it’s often just a matter of perspective

There are some things that I definitely regard as right and some that I definitely regard as wrong and some that I believe are just a matter of opinion and circumstance.

2.If I’m not sure what to do about something, I tend to wait for the ‘right’ solution to emerge naturally, rather than force a decision

Sometimes I do. Sometimes, I don't have time to wait. Sometimes it's a life and death situation, a do or die moment and a decision has to be made on the spot. I am usually very decisive.

3.I seem to spend an awful lot of time trying to ‘figure things out’

Yep...that I do!

4.I'm often pre-occupied with resolving/exploring negative emotions

No. Life is too short and eternity too long to spend time my short mortal existence in the negative zone. I experience them, pray about what is causing them and then just let them go. I don't dwell too long in darkness, because darkness has a tendency to make creatures go blind and I do not want to become a cave crikett.

5.I feel I need other people's acceptance too much – it can interfere with my independence of mind/self-expression

Not really. I want their approval. I crave their friendship and kindness, but when it comes right down to it, I have to ultimately follow the course for my own life.

6.I'll isolate myself/risk loneliness to obtain relative independence of mind/self-expression, if necessary.

Yes. If I have to...I'll do that.

7.I can't imagine feeling anyone was an extension of myself – this is a totally alien concept to me*I think individual interpretation rules here - do you perceive a 'soulmate' as 'self-extending' (for you personally)? It doesn't have to be a 'romantic' attachment/partner either, it could for example be children.*

I'm not really sure I understand the question. I can feel the pain of others. I can feel the joy of others, but when the rubber meets the road, the only person's choices I can truly answer for are my own. No matter how hard I try, I cannot bring another person peace or joy or contentment. I cannot give their life purpose. All I can do is offer a hand to hold, a shoulder to cry on and soul to laugh with.

8.I find typologies like Jung/MBTI/Enneagram overly interpretative – I wish there was a way of objectively establishing type

*I ironically hate putting people/myself in boxes/stereo-typing, and think it is more complicated than people make out. However, I would jump at the chance to be able to have my usage of Jungian-functions monitored, if this were possible/painless.*

I think it is impossible to correctly identify people, but the MBTI sort of thing basically just helps me to realize and remember that not everyone sees the world, experiences the world, the same way that I do. It helps me to be more accepting and less judgemental of others.

9.I’ve had a lot of trouble typing, because I see highly contrasting sides to myself, some of which seem incompatible with INFx

Not really. I think we all have a bit of everything in us and it is possible to be a "healthy" whatever and to use those strengths to make our lives and the lives of others better. It is also possible to use our personality as an excuse to be a jerk. Personality type is never an excuse to be self-absorbed, uncaring, cruel or malicious.

10.I often worry about being a ‘rotten’ person deep down, and can feel guilty merely imagining myself as capable of doing something 'bad' or selfish

I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that I am capable of great evil. We all are, but we are also capable of great good...of merciful and unselfish acts. I know that there are hordes of people in the world who would vehemently disagree with me, but I believe it's all about choices. Everyone of us has a sad story. Everyone of us have reasons to be horrible, but not everyone of use chooses to become slaves to those reasons and to our pasts.

11.I can be highly amused by my own imagined scenarios. Sometimes what is amusing me is just a concept/abstraction.
*By concept/abstraction it could just mean something you were vague about, like you couldn't say exactly what it is. It could be either an 'everyday' scenario or something more surreal/removed. I appreciate that some people will relate to the first sentence but not the second as well.*

Oh, yeah...that's ME!!!

12.Immediate reality tends to bore me. I escape into fantasy regularly.

*I didn't mean to imply I get bored much in the sense of thinking there's nothing to do. I find there's usually something worth doing and always something to think about or imagine - the trick is in the mind. I do sometimes think immediate reality is amazing actually, but it all depends on current perspective and what aspects I am tuning into.*

yeah, when I'm bored...I'm off to another reality.

13.Sometimes I think reality is just there to suggest the possibilities, like the raw material to (psychologically) construct something better or more interesting/inspiring.

I think that reality is more than we know. There is more to reality than what we sense in this physical realm. This plane of existence is, in my opinion, like a journey through a foreign land. The body I'm in is just my vechile and someday I'm going to get out of the car and go home. I think that the ancient philosopher had it right. THIS IS THE DREAM.

14.I hate disorganisation, chaos and being unprepared. I have aids to attempt to ‘tame’ this, e.g. spreadsheets, lists, being tidy etc.

I hate disorder. I hate and I DO MEAN HATE clutter and lots of stuff lying around. But I also hate rigidity, so I make a plan and schedule in moments of flexible time, just in case I get run over by a brainstorm of creativity, which happens to me sometimes. haha...I make plans to be spontaneous...I actually label it "piddling time" on my schedule.

15.I'm more likely to do what the moment suggests as the best thing to do (if it 'suggests' anything) than stick with a pre-prepared plan, if left to my own devices (for better or worse). I can't do that. I teach and do lots of public speaking and also have art project deadlines to meet, so again, I pencil in blocks of time that I can use for just whatever notion the wind blows into my head.

This was fun. Thanks for thinking of it!

Alternatum

MBTI Type
Ixxx
Enneagram
So I guess you could say that, but organization as I've heard doesn't affect personality apparently. There are INFPs who are much more organized than some INFJs out there.

INXPs sometimes mistake their variable Thinking(Te) function, for the organization/order that INFJs posses.

Yes. I've even seriously considered ISTJ, but it seems a relatively minor player in my mindset.

In any way. If you're an INFP, the flow of ideas in your head makes it harder to clarify what you really mean, whether it's how a sentence looks/sounds, or how much it expresses what you're trying to mean.

The views are pretty much what you incline to more, I'm actually literally an inxx but that's impossible in mbti, but I incline toward more INFP views, - that bit of inclination means a lot to your behavior by my experience, - even though you wouldn't notice it at first.

I think you're an INFP 'cause you consider the possibilities which is a pretty big trait of INFPs

INFP is what I've kept coming back to. And I think INFPs are much more likely to think they might be INFJ than the other way around, and are often aware of having a cast of alter-egos.

Perspective number one:
If it's just in your head, it's not actually happening. We're not brains in jars. Reality is something that has be faced, and then you have a chance to make it better. If you abdicate and escape into fantasy, reality continues without you having any say in what happens to you.

Perspective number two:
I think that reality is more than we know. There is more to reality than what we sense in this physical realm. This plane of existence is, in my opinion, like a journey through a foreign land. The body I'm in is just my vechile and someday I'm going to get out of the car and go home. I think that the ancient philosopher had it right. THIS IS THE DREAM.

It's all good.

Last edited: