• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Help Needed: INFJ, INTJ, or INFP?

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've always thought I'm an INJF, though after reading more deeply of other traits, I felt I could've come across as INTJ or INFP as well. So I need your help, especially those who have a vast knowledge in MBTI, to determine if I truly fall into the category of INFJ.

Here are some of my traits:

1. I'm insanely sensitive about things around me. When I need to focus or concentrate on something important, it really irks me if people make unnecessary noises (even small chit-chatting) around me.

2. One of the way I deal with my anger is to give people silent treatment, both intentionally and unintentionally at times.

3. I felt overwhelmed when people write sincere letters to me or just through me a few lines of compliments. Though my reaction often confuse people further as I have a great difficulty to show genuine happiness.

4. I'm very confident in dealing with interpersonal relationship in one-on-one settings. Though I'm capable of having a serious conversation with a small group (like groups of three). Anything more than that, I usually let others to do the talking.

5. I've been told that I'm a great listener and have indefinite amount of patience of listening. On one occasion, one of my best friend called me (a long distance call) and rant about her unhappy live in London and she ended up talking about it for nearly 4 hours. The problem is she called at 2 a.m. and I had to sacrifice my beauty sleep for that, though I never felt bad about it as that's what friends are for.

6. Based on #5, you can probably tell that I'm a very giving person. And I try my best to please people in the most constructive way I can offer. I am quite positive that I haven't missed any birthdays and managed to offer gifts or at least an email to those who do not live close to me. I've been told I've a self-sacrificing nature that many people feel sorry for my contribution of my kindness toward them.

7. At work, I'm a ultra-perfectionist. I also tend to overwork and got burned too often (imagine working 7 days per week from the past 4 years). I stive to get the perfect results and always happened to attain it. Though the biggest motivation factor comes from helping others to reach their goals and potentials.

8. During conflicts, I tried to stay away from it but at times I can get involved emotionally. But once I felt offended, I'll burst out and become the total opposite of my well-being with sarcasm, bluntness, cold, and mean remarks. I totally know how to push the buttons to irk others if I felt I've been offended in the wrong direction.

9. Emotional upheavals are quite disturbing for me. I really try hard to settle any conflicts happening between those who I care for, and often I can visualize or predict the outcome resulting from a conflict. Thus, whenever a possible conflict arise, I tried my best to talk to one of them, hoping to resolve it. However, this often ending up in an unpleasant outcome as I've been told that it's better to leave things along and let the players deal with their own outcomes.

10. Excessive worriness about something unknown. For example, I'm currently in the mist of changing my career in a distrastic direction. I spent too much time thinking of my next possible job, analyzing it from researching various websites instead of spending time to work on my resume. I sort of have a poor concept of time when it comes to making a difficult decision. Though I seem to be able to finish important tasks (related to work) on time before the deadline.

11. I often longed for the 'past' and its preciousness and skipped the 'present' and avoid thinking about the 'future.' This has been a big issue for me to move forward with my next career as I'm currently experiencing right now. I have this habit of keeping all the works and letters from my coworkers and students (yes, I've taught for 4 years) and kept reading them from time to time.

12. I have this habit of drawing all the dots from people's action and make a quick judgement on what people's real intentions are. I also happened to jump into conclusions that resulted to have conflicts with those I care. I suppose it has to do with I have endless suspicions with poeople's motives when I 'sense' something is wrong by picking up random cues.

13. I have trouble to show my deep emotions to others, unless I'm personally close to, or trust them 101%. I find it extremely hard to shed tears in front of others, even if we're watching a heart-wrenching movies at the theaters. I am able to release my emotions through writing a journal or dropping bell-bottomed tears on my pillow only if I'm alone in my bed.

14. I have soft-spot toward homeless animals and would even go as far as following them and spend a few minutes watching them in close proximity. I had once adopted a homeless cat from an animal shelters and found pet shops and zoos are the horrible place to witness all the inhumane treatment of trapping animals in a small space.

15. I've been told that I focus on details too much, or ideas that it easily generate disagreement with my co-workers if we have to work on a project together. I'm so finicky on tidiness and accuracy. Say if I'm printing a document with a tiny smudge on it, I'll just end up printing another copy.

16. I'm really attracted to sad personal stories, songs, or movies to a degree that I felt bright and cheery songs seem so fake.

17. If I felt someone is too hard for me to deal with (even if I still have feelings for them emotionally), I'll end up disappearing out of the blue, sometimes even as far as cutting ties. I need great personal space though I often regret doing this afterwards as I am also afraid that I'll be forgotten by them. Though in some ways I seriously believe that "absence does make the heart grows fonder" even if it doesn't make sense to most people.

18. Besides of being an introvert, I'm also super-shy. Sometimes I couldn't even say a simple "hi" to people because I worried if my voice might not sound sincere as my head is constantly thinking of other things.

19. I consider myself as a very deep person and only attracted to those who also can think deeply. I hate shallow, meaningless conversation just for the sake of socializing in public gatherings.

20. I have a huge collection of books, magazines, even newsletter of various subjects. I even kept all the essays I've written during my high school and college years. It seems I have a great difficulty of trashing things away and it usually takes me a few days just to clean up my room (or work desk) because I have to 're-consider' if I should throw something away indefinitely.

21. Moving on with a person or job can be a painful experience for me as I'm not easy to adapt to a new environment or state of mind. But once I've moved on, I am capable of not being clingy to the past anymore (at this point, most likely I've already cutting off ties 'completely' with those who I love). I know this may seem cruel and I've often been told that's one of my bad trait, though I honestly couldn't feel the necessary evilness as I thought it's a necessary process for people to start a new life.

[EDIT: adding 22]

22. I have insanely high expectation toward myself and others, especially when it comes to work related issue (yes, I can be a harsh teacher). Though the end result is that those who tolerated my harsh teaching often return me a greater love along with sincere compliments of how professional I was. Which means, when I criticize their works, I criticize hard, most goal-getters (especial among ENFP) especially view this and take it as a constructive challenge, which had further empower their inner-desire to try harder in order to match up with my expectation. I honestly didn't intended, but it surely works in my profession!

I hope these infos might help...

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
There are much better MBTI geeks in the forum. You seem reasonably INFJ to me.

It seems to me that much of what you mentioned could be several different types. Many types are detail oriented for different reasons. For example, I can be very meticulous and detail oriented, but not notice 15 empty bags I threw on the ground. Thus, there is a mess, and I just step over it...not even noticing it or being bothered by it for long periods of time. My interest is what I'm sending to people: The Project.

So it seems many of the things you mention are multiple types, so questions would be needed...like on most MBTI tests. For example, do you like to schedule your time or not? Do you schedule at work? Do you like having a schedule after work? Are you more comfortable after a decision has been made or are you more comfortable leaving options open?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
well, i cannot count myself among the truly wise either, but INFJ sounds like a good fit to me! i think INFP is also a good possibility, but something about the way you write seems more NFJ to me.

anyway, i like high expectations :yes:

here's my reasoning:

Fe-related
2. One of the way I deal with my anger is to give people silent treatment, both intentionally and unintentionally at times.
6. Based on #5, you can probably tell that I'm a very giving person. And I try my best to please people in the most constructive way I can offer. I am quite positive that I haven't missed any birthdays and managed to offer gifts or at least an email to those who do not live close to me. I've been told I've a self-sacrificing nature that many people feel sorry for my contribution of my kindness toward them.
9. Emotional upheavals are quite disturbing for me. I really try hard to settle any conflicts happening between those who I care for, and often I can visualize or predict the outcome resulting from a conflict. Thus, whenever a possible conflict arise, I tried my best to talk to one of them, hoping to resolve it. However, this often ending up in an unpleasant outcome as I've been told that it's better to leave things along and let the players deal with their own outcomes.
13. I have trouble to show my deep emotions to others, unless I'm personally close to, or trust them 101%. I find it extremely hard to shed tears in front of others, even if we're watching a heart-wrenching movies at the theaters. I am able to release my emotions through writing a journal or dropping bell-bottomed tears on my pillow only if I'm alone in my bed.

IF-related
3. I felt overwhelmed when people write sincere letters to me or just through me a few lines of compliments. Though my reaction often confuse people further as I have a great difficulty to show genuine happiness.
4. I'm very confident in dealing with interpersonal relationship in one-on-one settings. Though I'm capable of having a serious conversation with a small group (like groups of three). Anything more than that, I usually let others to do the talking.
5. I've been told that I'm a great listener and have indefinite amount of patience of listening. On one occasion, one of my best friend called me (a long distance call) and rant about her unhappy live in London and she ended up talking about it for nearly 4 hours. The problem is she called at 2 a.m. and I had to sacrifice my beauty sleep for that, though I never felt bad about it as that's what friends are for.
8. During conflicts, I tried to stay away from it but at times I can get involved emotionally. But once I felt offended, I'll burst out and become the total opposite of my well-being with sarcasm, bluntness, cold, and mean remarks. I totally know how to push the buttons to irk others if I felt I've been offended in the wrong direction.
14. I have soft-spot toward homeless animals and would even go as far as following them and spend a few minutes watching them in close proximity. I had once adopted a homeless cat from an animal shelters and found pet shops and zoos are the horrible place to witness all the inhumane treatment of trapping animals in a small space.
17. If I felt someone is too hard for me to deal with (even if I still have feelings for them emotionally), I'll end up disappearing out of the blue, sometimes even as far as cutting ties. I need great personal space though I often regret doing this afterwards as I am also afraid that I'll be forgotten by them. Though in some ways I seriously believe that "absence does make the heart grows fonder" even if it doesn't make sense to most people.

J-related
7. At work, I'm a ultra-perfectionist. I also tend to overwork and got burned too often (imagine working 7 days per week from the past 4 years). I stive to get the perfect results and always happened to attain it. Though the biggest motivation factor comes from helping others to reach their goals and potentials. (this one also speaks to Fe)
15. I've been told that I focus on details too much, or ideas that it easily generate disagreement with my co-workers if we have to work on a project together. I'm so finicky on tidiness and accuracy. Say if I'm printing a document with a tiny smudge on it, I'll just end up printing another copy.

N/Ni-related
10. Excessive worriness about something unknown. For example, I'm currently in the mist of changing my career in a distrastic direction. I spent too much time thinking of my next possible job, analyzing it from researching various websites instead of spending time to work on my resume. I sort of have a poor concept of time when it comes to making a difficult decision. Though I seem to be able to finish important tasks (related to work) on time before the deadline.
12. I have this habit of drawing all the dots from people's action and make a quick judgement on what people's real intentions are. I also happened to jump into conclusions that resulted to have conflicts with those I care. I suppose it has to do with I have endless suspicions with poeople's motives when I 'sense' something is wrong by picking up random cues.

NiFe-related
21. Moving on with a person or job can be a painful experience for me as I'm not easy to adapt to a new environment or state of mind. But once I've moved on, I am capable of not being clingy to the past anymore (at this point, most likely I've already cutting off ties 'completely' with those who I love). I know this may seem cruel and I've often been told that's one of my bad trait, though I honestly couldn't feel the necessary evilness as I thought it's a necessary process for people to start a new life.
22. I have insanely high expectation toward myself and others, especially when it comes to work related issue (yes, I can be a harsh teacher). Though the end result is that those who tolerated my harsh teaching often return me a greater love along with sincere compliments of how professional I was. Which means, when I criticize their works, I criticize hard, most goal-getters (especial among ENFP) especially view this and take it as a constructive challenge, which had further empower their inner-desire to try harder in order to match up with my expectation. I honestly didn't intended, but it surely works in my profession!

Misc
1. I'm insanely sensitive about things around me. When I need to focus or concentrate on something important, it really irks me if people make unnecessary noises (even small chit-chatting) around me.
18. Besides of being an introvert, I'm also super-shy. Sometimes I couldn't even say a simple "hi" to people because I worried if my voice might not sound sincere as my head is constantly thinking of other things.

Bonus: Enneagram 4-related :)
11. I often longed for the 'past' and its preciousness and skipped the 'present' and avoid thinking about the 'future.' This has been a big issue for me to move forward with my next career as I'm currently experiencing right now. I have this habit of keeping all the works and letters from my coworkers and students (yes, I've taught for 4 years) and kept reading them from time to time.
16. I'm really attracted to sad personal stories, songs, or movies to a degree that I felt bright and cheery songs seem so fake.
19. I consider myself as a very deep person and only attracted to those who also can think deeply. I hate shallow, meaningless conversation just for the sake of socializing in public gatherings.
20. I have a huge collection of books, magazines, even newsletter of various subjects. I even kept all the essays I've written during my high school and college years. It seems I have a great difficulty of trashing things away and it usually takes me a few days just to clean up my room (or work desk) because I have to 're-consider' if I should throw something away indefinitely.

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
There are much better MBTI geeks in the forum. You seem reasonably INFJ to me.

It seems to me that much of what you mentioned could be several different types. Many types are detail oriented for different reasons. For example, I can be very meticulous and detail oriented, but not notice 15 empty bags I threw on the ground. Thus, there is a mess, and I just step over it...not even noticing it or being bothered by it for long periods of time. My interest is what I'm sending to people: The Project.

Hey, it is still comforting to have more feedbacks so that I can be sure of my own identity. :) Thanks for sharing your interpretation btw!

So it seems many of the things you mention are multiple types, so questions would be needed...like on most MBTI tests. For example, do you like to schedule your time or not? Do you schedule at work? Do you like having a schedule after work? Are you more comfortable after a decision has been made or are you more comfortable leaving options open?

I happened to be quite punctual at work and even if I'm late, it will be more more than 5 minutes (but that happens rarely because I like to be punctual both professionally and socially).

When it comes to schedule, I can be both flexible as long as there's an advance notice. And nope, I don't like having a schedule after work. After work, everything is random and no boundaries when it comes to time management. Though I do have quite a few agendas around my office (at least 5, no kidding!).

As you can see, I do like to prioritize my schedule in advance (like within a few months). I would say that it takes a lenghty amount of time for me to decide something. Though once I decided, I seldomly wanted to alter it if possible.

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
well, i cannot count myself among the truly wise either, but INFJ sounds like a good fit to me! i think INFP is also a good possibility, but something about the way you write seems more NFJ to me.

Wow, thanks! This certainly help after you had categorized them! *big hugs*

Bonus: Enneagram 4-related :)

The thing about Enneagram is that, I used to get 2 or 4 during past years. But in recent days, I got tested with 3w4 or sometimes 7 as well. So I'm still not sure about this though. But I love being a 4, nevertheless. :)

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
if I had to guess right now id say INFJ, if anything else, INFP...I dont even think we would be having this discussion (at least not in this form) if you where an INTJ... at least from what ive seen on here so far... heres a functions test, for me, what I found I had to do to get accurate and consistent results was to first take my time with each question, making sure I understand exactly what they are asking, then really important, making sure I answer with what my instinctual response is, NOT with what ive taught myself to do over the years, or WISH I could do in the situation...

http://www.keys2cognition.com/explore.htm

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
if I had to guess right now id say INFJ, if anything else, INFP...I dont even think we would be having this discussion (at least not in this form) if you where an INTJ... at least from what ive seen on here so far... heres a functions test, for me, what I found I had to do to get accurate and consistent results was to first take my time with each question, making sure I understand exactly what they are asking, then really important, making sure I answer with what my instinctual response is, NOT with what ive taught myself to do over the years, or WISH I could do in the situation...

http://www.keys2cognition.com/explore.htm

I tried it again and yes, I got tested as INFJ... :cry:

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd be curious about whether you were raised by perfectionistic parents, or whether you see your perfectionism as more intrinsic. Is there any particular motivation for the perfectionism that you can discern?

I have a real perfectionistic streak, but I ascribe it more to upbringing than anything inherent. It's useful in a work setting, but I find it lessens my enjoyment of things outside of work (especially creative pursuits).

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Methinks INFJ. Based on your posts. You might be able to narrow it down by figuring out if you are Ne or Ni, or Fe/Fi if that is easier.

INFPs tend to be abrasive people about their beliefs. Very, very opinionated.

:peepwall:

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'd be curious about whether you were raised by perfectionistic parents, or whether you see your perfectionism as more intrinsic. Is there any particular motivation for the perfectionism that you can discern?

I have a real perfectionistic streak, but I ascribe it more to upbringing than anything inherent. It's useful in a work setting, but I find it lessens my enjoyment of things outside of work (especially creative pursuits).

It wasn't inherent. But it has to do with my upbringing (having a mother as the sole breadwinnerof the family and a father who had brought nothing but emotional traumas). As a result, my perfectionistic streak is a result of showing my appreciation toward my mother how had chose not to abandon me, when she had more than enough reasons to do so.

Jwill

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yeah, you don't sound like an INTJ at all to me. When you said that you are a very giving person, I saw that as very NF. And most INTJs would never sit on the phone for 4 hours listening to someone's problems. I try to be a good, supportive friend and all, but I think most of my friends would call me as a last resort. I'm not that nurturing--especially when someone is complaining a lot.

I have an INFJ brother and an INFX father. They may not be very vocal about their feelings, but they definitely have strong ones. They often make emotional decisions. They also like to let those feelings out a lot in private. Me, I can be moved by a sad movie, but I almost never cry--even when I'm alone and having a really hard time. Anyway, you sound like an INFX--a bit closer to INFJ than INFP.