123 Last

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Default NFPs and NFJs... more different than alike?

the more I study cognitive function and read forum posts, I'm realizing that NFPs and NFJs are really much more different than they are similar for example:

NFPs:
    personal values
    integrity
    justice/honor
    intrapersonal intelligence
    low neuroticism
    metaphors/analogies

NFJs:
    group values
    harmony
    peace/mercy
    interpersonal intelligence
    high neuroticism
    symbols/epiphanies

does anyone else feel the same way?

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

I find myself understand NFPs easily, but not agreeing with them often. (Obviously, that could be said for some NFJs I know as well, but not as often). No one drives me straight up a tree faster than an ENFP, though. (no offense meant, I have some close ENFP friends!) More immature ENFPs tend to be the ones I can't stomach. Once they're on a feeling rampage, there's not a lot of logic involved in their impassioned conversation (or so it seems to me).

I'm not sure where the differences lie exactly..I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of others.

One major difference I've noted is that while I admire ENFPs' passion for causes, they tend to be a little more oblivious of the needs of their families or more boring responsibilities than NFJs. They have a wicked strong personal sense of right from wrong, but can be a little oblivious of the needs of their closest loved ones, even while passionately discussing something they feel strongly about. IOW, boundless compassion in some areas, but seemingly oblivious to other's pain in other areas.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Ha.. Lets see, about 25% of the site feels I am in INFJ, 25% feels ENFP and yet another 25% feel it's ENFJ and then there is also this 25% that feel INFP would be the best fit.

I have seen Fe descriptions that sound very Fi and likewise.

Someone said I argued like an ENFP..
    SO I presented them this?
    Can you tell the difference?

INFJs have a tendency to look for hidden motives and meanings in every situation and often over analyze problems, or rehash issues after they have been settled.
    INFJs are very independent, focused and persistent people who often characteristically, possess uncompromising integrity.
    They are driven by an inner vision; if that vision is at odds with others, it typically causes serious conflict. They can be quite determined ,single minded, and unyielding as they stand by their moral positions.
    When engaged in an emotional argument , it can be difficult for the INFJ to put thier own feelings aside, and really hear others.
    When an impasse is reached, they tend to withdraw from the other and stop communicating.
    This is the last thing the INFJ really wants. However interestingly enough, INFJs have the tendency to be somewhat judgmental, so INFJs who dislike this quality in themselves may be particularly sensitive to this in others.

From "Just my Type" Page 295.. INFJ relationship frustrations.
    Sounds a lot like pissed off Fi, eh?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Ha.. Lets see, about 25% of the site feels I am in INFJ, 25% feels ENFP and yet another 25% feel it's ENFJ and then there is also this 25% that feel INFP would be the best fit.

I have seen Fe descriptions that sound very Fi and likewise.

Someone said I argued like an ENFP..
    SO I presented them this?
    Can you tell the difference?

Sounds a lot like pissed off Fi, eh?
    I am almost certain you are an NFJ of some sort. your arguments seem much more Fe than Fi to me and your overall vibe is way more NFJ.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

There are certainly major differences, but I'd say there are differences between ALL types. If you asked me if I am more like an INFJ than an ESTJ, then I'd say yes, even though an ESTJ "shares" the same top 4 functions.

Compare the typical demeanors of ENFx and INFx types....due to I/E differences in demeanor, at times, it can be harder to tell an ENFJ & ENFP apart than an ENFP & INFP.

You can group types in many ways & find similarities & differences. You can group by processes, or the functions of those processes (ie. the middle two letters), by I/E or Pe/Je preferences, etc. Each type is designated as its own, unique type precisely because it's significantly different from the others, so how you group types is a matter of perspective and deciding what are the most important factors of their personality.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

I'd like to make a disclaimer in advance that most of the NFJs I know IRL friggin suck. I'm saying this because I've tried to make this comparison as non-biased as I know that not all NFJs suck like the ones I know IRL. that being said, I can't promise it's completely unbiased as I know disproportionately few cool NFJs (most of them I know are the people pleasing, manipulative politician type)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    There are certainly major differences, but I'd say there are differences between ALL types. If you asked me if I am more like an INFJ than an ESTJ, then I'd say yes, even though an ESTJ "shares" the same top 4 functions.

Compare the typical demeanors of ENFx and INFx types....due to I/E differences in demeanor, at times, it can be harder to tell an ENFJ & ENFP apart than an ENFP & INFP.
    You can group types in many ways & find similarities & differences. You can group by processes, or the functions of those processes (ie. the middle two letters), by I/E or Pe/Je preferences, etc. Each type is designated as its own, unique type precisely because it's significantly different from the others, so how you group types is a matter of perspective and deciding what are the most important factors of their personality.
    I'm gonna disagree with you on this point. to me, INFPs and INFJs don't look or act alike at all and their motivations are completely different

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

I've always found a profound difference in myself and my INFJ friends... as opposed to myself and my INFP friends. I do think ENFP/INFP is closer than NFP/NFJ. LOVE NFJ's though.. and actually bond with them more than my infps. Not sure why..

Fi/Fe Ni/Ne. Big difference.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

This topic comes up a great deal, sometimes it seems like its what this subforum mostly does.

And there is nothing wrong with that. I admit it saddens me slightly that so many posters have real life frustration at the other side, and sometimes the discussions themselves appear to me more polarizing than connecting. And that, too, is okay. I understand a conflict or misunderstanding may be more likely to motivate someone to post, than say, an amazing conversation where they felt connected and understood. I still love learning about the NFP spirit and mind. I had some wonderful NFP people who enriched my life, so its possible I am biased. Its clear we are different, but those differences are fascinating and beautiful to me. It shows me new insights and ways I could grow myself, quite honestly. I hope I bring something to the table for them, too. Yet I still feel strongly that we come from a common place, not just based on my real life connections, but also from reading so many posts on the forum. The concern with finding understanding is one indicator. Maybe we are like plants that take root in the same soil conditions, but are definitely not the same, yet can be complimentary and encourage growth in each other, rather than competing. I like to show my appreciation for NFPs

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I can attest to this based on friends in real life, absolutely.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

just depends on the strength of preferences i guess..some infj's might be closer to isfjs or intjs...or enfjs...same with every other type.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison